We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
Firewatch was decent. Easily my favorite walking simulator (it has a jog button!) but still a walking simulator. I think it was the active characterization vs the norm's journals and audiologs that sold it for me.
I lost Forrest Byrnes in a cave. :(
(04-18-2016, 08:24 PM)The Blue Avenger Wrote: »
(04-18-2016, 11:09 AM)Solekii Wrote: »I finished playing Earthbound a while ago (I know I'm late to the party there) and am currently playing through Mother 3. I love it so far but people sure were right about them sad bits

I also need to get Hyper Light Drifter, though. So goddamned pretty

You're playing Mother 3 at a good time; its 10th anniversary is two days from now. I'm keeping up a shred of hope that we hear something about a localization, but I'm not exactly what one would call 'optimistic' about the whole thing.

Yeah, I had a hell of a time finding a fan translation of the damn thing. They took it off the site but my link still works so I'm just sorta... keeping it safe until I finish. But I loved Earthbound and needed more. Mother 3 is certainly living up to what fans have said.

Also Firewatch had a lot of potential.... I mean, it had some gorgeous colours, nice little animations and fantastic voice acting and dialogue, but...

SpoilerShow
Walking Simulators I've played rankings best to worst: Firewatch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Stanley Parable, The Park, Gone Home, Mind: Path to Thalamus, and Dear Esther (I still hate it). Looking back and yeah interactive dialogue really makes all the difference here.

@Solekii
SpoilerShow
Oh man I loved the Stanley Parable. Has anyone played The Beginner's Guide?

@Granolaman

SpoilerShow
I've got the Beginner's Guide, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I've yet to find the Next Game That Entrances Me For Weeks, and I can't play Minecraft anymore so ;_; <-- gameless

Also my computer exploded. There's that, too.
You should try out ARK: Survival Evolved. It's like Minecraft meets a secret Pokemon MMO. Just gotta mind that poor optimization.
I'm still a sucker for Minecraft tbh. I've been playing since 2012 and I still enjoy it. I would probably still play with LEGOs (as a grown-ass man) if I didn't have Minecraft. I just love building things.

(edit: i lied, i am not fully-grown, nor fully male, or fully human. i am in fact a majestic bulbasaur. but the point still stands)
(04-19-2016, 01:26 AM)AgentBlue Wrote: »I've got the Beginner's Guide, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I've yet to find the Next Game That Entrances Me For Weeks, and I can't play Minecraft anymore so ;_; <-- gameless

Also my computer exploded. There's that, too.

Beginner's guide is real good, but also real weird. Though it depends on if you like heavy narrative or not. It's more of a story thing. More to do with the creation of games, or at least, one specific guy's take on making games.
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: In which "CUT THE RED WIRE" is usually bad advice.

If anyone's interested, I/we/people may be playing in like an hour or so or so?

If you don't know the game, this is basically what to aspire to. One person is staring at a bomb, the rest of the people are looking at the manual that says how to defuse it, and both groups have to explain things and it's chaos. Only the person actually defusing the bomb at any given moment needs the game, so if you want to play and don't want to spend a money, you can always download the manual for free and be on the team regardless.

Meet on IRC and/or Discord?
I'm down though I've only managed to disarm the bomb, never successfully given instructions.
Getting started shortly if anyone wants to join in! (I'll probably edit this post when we're done if I remember, feel free to hop on at any point.)

Edit: Explosions have ceased. Probably there could be explosions again at another point, though, so if you're interested, keep that in mind, I guess?
I missed it and exploded. I demand rematches sometime >:3
You must be registered to view this content.
(04-23-2016, 03:40 AM)AgentBlue Wrote: »I missed it and exploded. I demand rematches sometime >:3
Consider this an expression of interest in bomb defusal manual reading.
Apparently I sound like a professional bomb defuser.
So because Bravely Second just came out, I figured I'd go back and try and finish getting through Bravely Default. I just managed to clear the fire crystal dungeon in Chapter 3 and am now headed back to Grandship. My party is all roughly level 40, and the classes pan out like so:

Tiz - Monk/Thief
Ringabel - Spell Fencer/White Mage
Edea - Knight/White Mage
Agnes - White Mage/Time Mage

Have three characters who can heal is being might fine right now, but I still feel like the team lacks a little oomph, especially Ringabel, who every boss likes to KO first. Does anyone who played Default have any suggestions for fun classes to play around with? The number of available jobs is honestly a little intimidating.
[Image: 6LGz4x9.png]
I'm trying to finish up Bravely Default too, though I'm somewhat further along.

First thing to note is that you're approaching a very good grinding point.

The next chapter has enemies that give pretty solid JP and money. You can use Compounding with elemental items (buyable from the Adventurer if you've been rebuilding the compounding shops) to easily clear the encounters. You can even get Sweeper bonuses easily, because the attacks do fixed damage.

When you start the grinding, go with Freelancer first. At L10, they get an ability that increases JP gained. You don't need to build up every job to max right here, but it's good for making sure you have what you want in the near future.

As for jobs: get some investment into Ninja if you just want to break almost every fight with an enemy that depends on physical attacks. (Which is a lot of them.) It has a skill that causes you to evade the next physical attack, and pretty much every group-targeting move that isn't specifically a spell counts as a physical attack. This also makes various passive abilities that trigger when you evade an attack significantly more useful.

This has been my strategy and the result of it has been that there have only been a few boss fights where I've had to worry about what jobs I'm using, because the evasion strategy makes them super-easy.

If you want to break things a little less, you might like the Swordmaster's skills. They're good when the enemy consistently uses either physical or magical attacks, as you just need to correctly guess which one's coming to take less damage and do a powerful counter.

You should probably also worry less about healing. With the money-grinding you're about to get access to, X-Potions will be reasonably affordable. A dedicated healer is good, but you don't need three people with a healing command, just a backup plan in case your main healer goes down. X-Potions should be good enough for that.

Speaking of which, your main healer will want the Salve-Maker class or their inherent Healing Lore skill. The skill costs two ability slots, though, so you probably want Salve-Maker to be the main class.
Hey, thanks! So maybe I make Agnes a Salve-Maker/White Mage and make Ringabel a Ninja/... well, what synergizes well with Ninja?
[Image: 6LGz4x9.png]
Pretty much everything goes well with Ninja tbh

I like Ninja/Thief because it seems thematically synchronous
~◕ w◕~
final fantasy x is a Fucking Wild Ride
Standing here, The way ahead's becoming clear
All across these new frontiers
In my hands I hold the ones I love
Walk forward through the cold dawn
Always to new horizons