Murder By The Book - Ender's Game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The year is 2031. Crime is on the rise.

All across the world, dozens of seemingly unsolvable murders pop up every day, with no apparent purpose or pattern.

Until, that is, someone noticed that renowned mystery novelist Kyle DeMille had written several books with remarkable similarities to a number of the murders.

Shortly after his arrest, however, it became clear that DeMille was not acting alone. As more evidence came to light, and a number of new novels popped up under pseudonyms, the extent of the scheme became clear.

There was an entire criminal organization run by murder mystery authors conducting research to learn if their intended crimes were plausible. They called themselves Undercover, and aside from DeMille, their members proved elusive to track down.

It was only a matter of months before writing murder mysteries was banned under international treaty. Today, no author who hopes to have a serious career will admit to ever writing one, and publishing companies are cracking down on suspected authors in their ranks.

Iconoclast Publishing was no exception. They were a small publisher with only twenty-one authors under their banner, and they couldn't afford the bad press if they were found to be harboring criminals.

Tonight, Iconoclast was holding a party for all of their authors, and attendance was mandatory.

Naturally, everyone suspected the real reason for the party was to flush out the Undercover agents. They were right, but they were still in for an unpleasant surprise.

Once all the authors were in, someone wondered where the head editor was. A quick check of his office revealed the shocking truth: He was dead, crushed under his own office chair, just like the victim in A Bad Day at the Office. Undercover had struck.

Worse, the building was locked. The authors were trapped, knowing only that some among them were coldblooded killers who wrote about their crimes.

And so the race was on to find Undercover.

This is a Mafia game! Setup was handled by soundlyParanoid and flavor is being handled by me. It's going to be a pretty straightforward game, expect plenty of vanilla roles.

We're looking for twenty-one players in total. If you're taking part, we invite you to come up with a name for the author you'll be playing as. Send me a PM with the name so I can plug it into the role flavor (which I'm still writing out, but I expect to be done by Monday at the latest).

Setup guarantees:
SpoilerShow

Players:

1. Mirdini - Shelly Winters - Historian, caramel townie, died at the end of D3
2. Crowstone - Whimbrel - Rory Ringepinder, playwright, caramel townie, lynched D6.
3. SleepingOrange - Estelle DuWithers - Pie baker, could hand out pies with various effects, pies could not directly kill or protect, killed N3
4. Garuru - Danielle Steel - Self-help book author, town bulletproof thanks to the power of positive thinking
5. Schazer
6. Sotek
7. icanhasdonut - Donut Adams - New age religion author, town cop
8. Akumu
9. seedy - Veronica Bryant - Satirist, caramel townie, killed N4
10. Palamedes - Edgar Allen Faux, literary critic, Undercover flavor cop, could find out what sort of books someone wrote, could recruit Gnauga the traitor or form a mixmason team with AgentBlue the miller by visiting them
11. Nova TehPilot
12. eberron - Aunty Early, fantasy novelist, caramel townie, revenge-killed by AgentBlue D5
13. AgentBlue - Alice Wonderland - Miller and revenge killer, lynched D5
14. amosmyn - Truegreen - Theo Van Doesburg - Undercover kidnapper/janitor, could kidnap someone for one day/night cycle or hide the body of someone killed the same night, could not use this ability two nights in a row, could only hide one dead body at a time, lynched D4
15. Dalm - Nell M. Frank - science fiction author, caramel townie, lynched D7
16. bigro - Seedy II
17. cyber95 - Dr. Donald Sullivan Lester - Third-party bodystacker and investigator, had two uses of each of track/watch/cop and could trade two charges in for a kill, disappeared N1, turned up dead after N2
18. Chwoka Coldblooded - Anona Muss - horror writer, caramel townie, would have gained daykill if all other caramel townies died, killed N6
19. Gnauga - R.L. Stine - Undercover traitor, one-shot bulletproof, had a variety of win conditions depending on if he were dead or recruited and which factions won the game.
20. Granolaman - Dakota Weber - Third-party bodystacker, recruited a partner before the game actually began, lynched D2
21. Solaris - Pananelo "Poptyping" Pwuadatock - Undercover busdriver, couldn't busdrive the Undercover kill target, lynched D3

Replacements:
-None on the waiting list, contact me if you're interested.
RE: Murder By The Book (A Mafia game)
MURDER THEY WROTE

AND MURDER THEY DID
i predict that this game will last three nights
(join)
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
I'm down I guess
(03-07-2014, 05:56 AM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »The authors were trapped, knowing only that some among them were coldblooded killers who wrote about their crimes.

Fogel, how dare you. This is outright libel, it's like you didn't even try to hide it.

I guess I'll join too, but only in the hopes that I might manage to find the inevitable mod self-insert character and make him answer for his crimes against me.
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnok
Para ordered me to sign up for this.
sure why not
Alright count me in
I can't resist this flavor
Sure thing.
Hi .
[Image: sig.gif]
(04-11-2014, 12:35 AM)Schazer Wrote: »pffft dingle your pringles more like hop on your popcorn
(06-03-2014, 03:10 AM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »DON'T EDIT POSTS YOU'LL GET MODKILLED wait a minute.
I'm game. count me in
okay!
Be right back, preparing a flashy entrance...
can I join? I know nothing about the mafia rules but whatever. Should i write like a profile of author-me???????
(03-10-2014, 10:28 AM)Dalmationer Wrote: »can I join? I know nothing about the mafia rules but whatever. Should i write like a profile of author-me???????

There's no need for that, just give me a name and I'll give you a brief backstory with your role.

Although if you want to come up with a bunch of crazy stuff to add onto that backstory, well, I've got no problem with that.
Coldblooded has been moved off the player list and onto the replacement list due to being busy.
I will be Nell M. Frank because all my favourite scifi authors have middle names.
(03-10-2014, 05:39 PM)Dalmationer Wrote: »I will be Nell M. Frank because all my favourite scifi authors have middle names.

I meant to PM me with it, but it doesn't actually matter that much since the name won't determine anything actually relevant to the game.
oops ok
slam me down in that there spot
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
fiiiiine i'm in
fine,
you heard him, fine chwoka.