This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
Out of a random selection (of more than two results), you’re more likely to see repeats than the entire range.

(05-14-2013, 07:13 AM)Garuru Wrote: »Dangit, Australia. Always tricking me into thinking you're America.

What with your English speaking ways.
The one that keeps getting me is South Africa, because the Afrikaans looks like Dutch and the English looks like English.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
SpoilerShow

I am so inordinately proud of this.

practical uses for mathematics: estimating the lengths of paving slabs in the grounds of an Alaskan university in order to win an internet guessing game

it sort of made up for it stranding me in bleedin' Botswana on my first round

EDIT:

SpoilerShow

Okay this is actually way too much fun and I am taking it way too seriously but hey, I repeat, way too much fun.

even if it does have an inexplicable tendency towards dumping me in sub-saharan Africa

at this rate I am going to become an expert in dirt track constitution
all of the locations are preselected, since they bothered to check every location and bleep out most of the blatant indicators

(although it doesn't help if you've actually BEEN at some of the locations)
I've only noticed license plates being bleeped out; there's plenty of other obvious indicators floating around if you walk around enough.

Apparently I managed to get Sruix's 0m score from 7m away, and in Canada no less. Also proud of my dead end dirt road in Limpopo using only a sign with unmarked towns and a blurry elephant symbol.
I take it back, there's tons of blurring/distorting. I just assumed it was part of google street view.
I'm getting restaurant names and "welcome to -city name here-" signs everywhere so uhhh
I have the best luck
No, I think the licence plate blurring is an uncharacteristic show of concern for privacy on the part of google.
Dunno about the other stuff.
Once I landed in the state legislature of Alaska
shit was so cash
[Image: xwldX.gif]
(05-15-2013, 01:58 AM)Gnauga Wrote: »Once I landed in the state legislature of Alaska
shit was so cash

Could you see Russia from there?
Aw, I missed the color scheme chat.

(Mine is ████ maroon and mustard, in general.)

As for Gueoguesser, the best I can say about myself is that with a one-minute time limit and no moving (but panning is allowed), I manage to hit the correct country every time, and usually within 1 Mm too.
韋力澹、杜薇花,《亞奧美思特大傳》人物兩「茄呢啡」獨魯人也。
韋為紫血,杜為藍血,二人關係生平不詳。惟只現一回則見光死於熊熊烈火中矣。
I think I've realized what bothers me about the Step Up movies. I haven't seen or read the synopsis of the fourth one, but I'm just going to see if I can predict the plot:

A, who is a talented dancer, is picked up by some form of dance crew in order to defeat another dance crew, who are both unilaterally evil and in some form of power position which they will later use to exert an unfair advantage for themselves or an unfair disadvantage against A's team. A may be reluctant to join the dance crew, or reluctant to acknowledge their own talent, or they may be fighting against the expectations put on them by society/family/etc. There are several heats throughout the movie where some outsourced dancers showcase their styles against A's team and invariably lose, leading up to THE FINAL SHOWDOWN in which both the EVIL CREW and A'S CREW battle for EVERYTHING ON THE LINE and then A wins, some pithy platitude is said, wrap up loose ends, roll credits.

/me goes to look up synopsis

Okay, that wasn't incredibly close.

>_<

BUT THE POINT I AM MAKING is that there is a unilaterally evil or antagonistic force in the films after the first one; in Step Up 2 it's THE EVIL BLACK CREW WHOSE NAME I CANNOT REMEMBER, in 3 it's THE EVIL CREW WHO HAS A BANKER IN IT, and in 4 it's...a building developer. Who sadly doesn't dance. It makes the plot somewhat...hackneyed and predictable, I guess. Nice dances, but it just isn't the same as the first one.

That said, I loved the first one. It did drag on a bit, but I'm very fond of combining classical and modern music, and the first Step Up did it IN DANCE! AS WELL! On top of that, the protagonist's journey doesn't have a unilateral evil antagonist: instead, the antagonist is Tyler's own sense of helplessness and lack of ambition; the bad guy is himself, telling himself that he's a victim of society; it's just something that you don't really see these days since the public is seemingly incapable of complex thought. Sigh.

That was a good movie. The rest, not so much.
maybe they have different writers? maybe the people who hired these writers just wanted to capitalize on a trend and didn't really care about the story at all?
I went into Step Up 3D planning to write an ironic review of it with my brother, but it turned out just to be a beautiful movie. They pulled off all three cliched dance movie stories while still dancing for maybe 65% of the screentime.
(05-28-2013, 07:30 AM)Wheat Wrote: »gonna go die in a land of piss-smelling asphalt lots and people making invectives against groups of people they've never met in a desperate bid to cover up their own unnoteworthiness

i assume that not doing that is either unfeasible for whatever reason, or something you're frantically making plans to (not?) do as soon as you can manage?
He's talking about truck-driving.
Now that my brother's back at college for the summer, it's time to light hundreds of flowery scented candles in his room! I'm thinking a combination of LILAC and CUPCAKE scents.
~◕ w◕~
(05-28-2013, 05:31 PM)Whimbrel Wrote: »Now that my brother's back at college for the summer, it's time to light hundreds of flowery scented candles in his room! I'm thinking a combination of LILAC and CUPCAKE scents.

Are you summoning a very fresh-scented demon to do your chores
Yeah you should... elaborate on that.

Mike, good luck driving, i hope you get a super muscular arm from that manual transmission.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
(05-28-2013, 07:37 PM)Ed Wrote: »Yeah you should... elaborate on that.

Mike, good luck driving, i hope you get a super muscular arm from that manual transmission.

"over the top" starring mike "wheatthins" stallone
(05-28-2013, 07:37 PM)Ed Wrote: »Yeah you should... elaborate on that.

uh, boys are stinky/?????
Why would you want to make someone else's room smell nice if it's not, you know, your room? I guess it just upsets me because my family does that all the time to me, i don't know what's the deal with that. I've asked several people and they all told me it just smells like my perfume, i don't know why my parents insist so much i'm not stinky leave me aloneeeee.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
ok more explanation

here's the deal:
My room is the only room in the house that's too far from the router to get an internet connection. If I try to set up my computer in any of the communal family areas I get fussed at. Hence, when my brother is away, I am taking over his room.

The scents are to mark my territory :3
~◕ w◕~
Whim you should look at getting a WiFi repeater. I had the same problem and now I don't :>
(05-28-2013, 10:24 PM)Ed Wrote: »Why would you want to make someone else's room smell nice if it's not, you know, your room? I guess it just upsets me because my family does that all the time to me, i don't know what's the deal with that. I've asked several people and they all told me it just smells like my perfume, i don't know why my parents insist so much i'm not stinky leave me aloneeeee.
I get the same nag but they also think it’s okay for my room to be 80°F and get pissed when I point out that there is only so much I can do to limit being in there.

(If I had more money I might experiment with deodorizing stuff... it’s not like I don’t believe it’s there, it’s that I am convinced that there isn’t anything I can do about it with such limited means.)
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
At my parents' house we got these adapter things that let you run a wifi connection from the router into the mains cables of your house via some complicated magic, then plug an ethernet cable into another adapter in your room and enjoy a connection as strong as... if you were plugged directly into the router
maybe you could get one of those