Crazy Idea: Let's start up a group project!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have absolutely no ideas for what it is or what we do with the thing if we actually get somewhere with it. But hey, it's always fun to embark on wacky projects and see what develops, even if the thing fizzles out.

So, let's start by tossing out ideas! We might even go with more than one idea, mostly it depends on how many people are needed.
Re: Crazy Idea: Let's start up a group project!
I've never been in a group project before so I have no idea what to suggest, but I did have this ridiculous idea where you have two or more people, and they form a daisy chain of adventure making. Each person will write for one adventure and draw for one adventure, but not the same one. For example:

Person A writes for the adventure Person B is drawing, but also draws for the adventure Person C is writing for. As such Person B draws for Person A's writing, but also writes for the adventure Person C draws. And finally Person C writes for Person A and draws for Person B.

Of course, all that would accomplish would be a set of slow moving collab adventures.

Worldbuilding is a possibility for a group project, but once you've got a world ideally you will do things in it and I have no idea what said things might be.

I also had this idea for an RP where people draw up their characters and the GM creates a murder mystery around it but only informs the writer for the murderer who did it. Then they have to mingle and figure out the murderer but that's so similar to mafia and also not a group project (it also feeds my murder mystery obsession and that's arguably not good either).

E: I'm tired don't judge me
Getting a bit off the topic, that last bit reminds me: I once had an idea where one player would be a detective trying to solve a murder mystery created by a bunch of other players, one of whom would be the murderer and the rest of the players would be suspects. The suspects and murderer would be conspiring together to make it interesting. But I didn't think it through very well.

A variant occurred to me a little while ago; same set up, multiple detectives, the detectives are competing to be the first to solve the mystery. And just now, it occurs to me that maybe some of the suspects could be secretly trying to help a specific detective win.
I guess the overall problem with a murder mystery is that it's difficult to come up with a satisfying one that's properly foreshadowed but not too obvious. It's kind of inescapable. :<
Eagle Time Dot Com: The Video Game.

It'd take a ridiculous amount of work and would probably fizzle out before it could actually get anywhere near completion, but nevertheless, it's still an idea.
Anomaly Wrote:Eagle Time Dot Com: The Video Game.

It'd take a ridiculous amount of work and would probably fizzle out before it could actually get anywhere near completion, but nevertheless, it's still an idea.
I was actually considering proposing this. The main problem, as I see it, wouldn't be design, since we have a lot of very good writers/artists/puzzlemasters around.

The real problem would be programming/testing, although since (in my experience) programming becomes ten times as tedious if you're testing your own troubles, having "whoever is around the fora and feels like it" do bug testing, as well as having a lot planned out in advance for the game, would help.
Eagle Time News!

...Eagle Time Radio?

......Eagle Time Podcast?

.........Eagle Time Newspaper?

............Eagle Time Newsletter?

...............Eagle Time One-Line Status Update?

(On that note: EAGLE TIME ON FACEBOOK)
MrGuy Wrote:I was actually considering proposing this. The main problem, as I see it, wouldn't be design, since we have a lot of very good writers/artists/puzzlemasters around.

The real problem would be programming/testing, although since (in my experience) programming becomes ten times as tedious if you're testing your own troubles, having "whoever is around the fora and feels like it" do bug testing, as well as having a lot planned out in advance for the game, would help.

I'm sure quite a few people would be up for beta testing and such. The question here is, how many programmers do we have around here?
I only got as far as BATCH.
I know how to make a room with a box with a key in it in inform 7. That's all I got.
Not ten minutes ago - well, ten minutes before I started writing this post, at least - I thought of a system of sorts for an RPG (though I imagine it could be modified to fit some other game variant; RPG is just how it turned out in my head).

The idea is that the main characters (let's call 'em Regulars), over the course of their travels, acquire groupies of sorts (Lurkers) that tag along with the party but don't actively participate in battle.

Lurkers can be assigned to Regulars to grant bonuses in the form of stat boosts, passive weapon effects, extra abilities, and the like. Equipped Lurkers can level up and gain larger bonuses, but leech part of their Regular's experience to do so. This is how you gain more party members.

After attaining a certain level, Lurkers become Regulars. They can still be equipped as Lurkers to grant passive bonuses, and will still leech experience from their assigned Regular when equipped (which could be important if players outside the battle party don't otherwise level up), but they can also be used as primary combatants if so desired.

(The rudimentary idea was that Schazer had XX equipped and gained a passive lifedrain effect - but then I still wanted XX to be playable.)
My insatiable bloodlust compels me to join whoosh and DF on the murder mystery idea, and my bookcase dedicated and sanctified to Agatha Christie leaves me in a sort of okay spot to write the mystery in question.

Fact Seagull BUT! That's a forum game, for which we already have a section called Forum Games, and not a group project!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
Well, yes. But there's nothing wrong with coming up with other ideas in this thread, right?
Well then, in our first horrendously misplaced game of Nomic I vouch for the thread title to be correctly adapted into Crazy Ideaz
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
Now that you mention group projects...

I've always been interested in being involved in a collaborative band, where somebody creates and records one instrument then sends it to another person and they record their own track over the top of that and so on. Different people start different songs for a variety of music. Of course, I don't know how musical everyone here is though.

Another idea I had was a collaboratively written radio/audio play, where everyone agrees what happens in the episode beforehand then improvises their lines for each scene in IRC before recording them. Kinda like a half-self insert, half role-playing experiment. I got the idea from myself thinking "what if everyone on the forum was working in an office/restaurant/spaceship together. Oh the shenanigans we would have!"

I'd also be up for the Murder Mystery project. You could have the collaborative goal of all of the suspects to make it difficult for the detective to solve the mystery, but they would have to leave a solid trail of clues that would lead to the killer.
Is observing my own pattern of behavior of observing my own patterns of behavior a mental fractal or just navel gazing? Please advise.
*stops working*

Collaborative band would be nice. You'd have to deal with all sorts of electronic idiocy from me though.

*resumes working*
AgentBlue Wrote:*stops working*

Collaborative band would be nice. You'd have to deal with all sorts of electronic idiocy from me though.

*resumes working*
That's kinda the idea though, see? Each person would contribute their own style and musicality to each song. As long as you followed basic music principles and didn't just create something terribly cacophonic or disruptive to someone's ears (and no, "I didn't do a very good job I am very self conscious about my music so sorry about your ears" doesn't count). Each song writer would create a couple of tracks for a song that would create a basic structure for the song (as far as chords, tempo, rhythm) goes and the rest becomes a fill in the blanks game.

Sure, it would be possible that a few tracks might be cut/edited/redone/modified when it came down to a final edit, but that would be part of the learning process. Some people might want to redo a track for whatever reason and that would be OK too.

Can you tell I've thought a lot about this?
Is observing my own pattern of behavior of observing my own patterns of behavior a mental fractal or just navel gazing? Please advise.
I'm ambivalent about the collaborative band seeing as I have zero musical talent, but the radio/audio play sounds like fun.

I have a terrible voice, but eh.
whoosh! Wrote:I have a terrible voice, but eh.

Sing. I can sing. I always wanted to sing.
I play a double bass. It's the coolest instrument.

...I just haven't played it in a long time.
I have a trombone, and can use Mario Paint.

That's about it.
I...have a little experience with electronic music in FL Studio. But veeeeeery little. Does anyone else...?

SpoilerShow

...Should we maaaaaybe move this to another thread?
Collab ideas : D !!! A favourite hobby of mine.

Hum, those game ideas remind me of #MSPAFAquest :c Oh well...

Anyways, I had an idea similar to the murder mystery.

All of the players are transported to a Dungeon, with the simple goal: at least one of them survives and escapes. However, there is a trick: one of the players is the Architect of the Dungeon, who has to make the others fail in their quest. He chooses what rooms exist in the dungeon. The rooms will be randomly placed on the map, to weaken his advantage a bit, but he should be able to recognize them.
Do orgies count as group projects?
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/youngcultistgame

This is the blog for my game I'm making for real its happening
I had a crazy idea to make eagle-time shirts
[Image: 11+-+1]

so i did
~no longer a bartender but still helping drunks