SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
CH2 - P1 - Waiting For A Boat For A LONG Time
[Image: ChapterTwo.png]

SpoilerShow
CH2 - P2 - Inventory Blues
SpoilerShow

SleepingOrange Wrote:>Well, first things first, find out who the hell this thing is

[Image: JGTH415.png]

Your confidence somewhat buoyed by the fact that this demon doesn’t appear to be attempting to murder you just yet, you demand: “Okay, first things first, who the hell are you?”

[Image: JGTH416.png]

“I do apologise Your Highness.” The demon replies. “It has been so long since I had civilised company, I have completely forgotten my manners. My name is Samigina, but I would much prefer that you called me Sam. In terms of demons I am a scholar, not a fighter, and oft-times more a merchant than a scholar. My dominion, such as it is, is over delicious delectable information. You give me information; I in turn give you information. Luckily for you I have the memories of both of your librarians at my disposal. I can tell you where pretty much any book is in this absurd library.”

SpoilerShow
RE: Jormungandr Goes To Hell - MIGRATION COMPLETE
Dragon Fogel Wrote:>Hang on a second. Demons usually want something from you. Find out what he wants before you agree to anything.

SleepingOrange Wrote:>Well, that sounds pretty not-fetch-questy for once. Ask him what kind of information he'd need in exchange for one specific book's location.

[Image: JGTH417.png]

“I’ve been down this road before.” You say. “You’re a demon. You must want something from me. Before I give you a scrap of information you’re going to tell me what you want.” It is difficult to sigh without a mouth, Sam somehow manages it.
“I have been completely upfront with you, your highness.” He replies. “I just wish information. I give you my word.” Regardless, you are still a little suspicious.
“What kind of information do you want?” You ask.
“A memory of yours.” Sam says. “But, I am afraid, not one that you would be able to provide without assistance.”
“Aha!” Bracken exclaims from somewhere behind you. “I knew it. I said to myself, this one’s gonna be trouble, and I was right. You can’t one past me that easy, let me tell you. You’ve gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get one past old Bracken.”
“Why wouldn’t I be able to recall this without your nebulous assistance?” You ask.
“Well you see… the thing is… human memories; they’re pretty abysmal when it comes to memory retrieval.” The demon paused for a moment, before amending himself, “in the hands of their human owners that is. Things are misfiled and oft times misremembered. I need accurate information, and furthermore, I believe the incident in question is likely to be something you no longer consciously possess memories of. Call it a ‘hunch’ why don’t you?”

[Image: JGTH418.png]

“So…” you say. “Assuming I want to go through with this-”
“Why would you want to go through with this?” Bracken interrupted incredulously. “Listen to me here: this one, I don’t trust him. We’d do better to leave well enough alone. We’ll find the book eventually and without no demon messing around on the inside of your head.”
Assuming I wanted to go through with this,” you reiterate, “how exactly would we do it?”
“You reach out and touch me,” Sam replied, “and you let me do the rest.”
“Yeaaaah…” Bracken said slowly. “I told you this was a bad idea, don’t you say that I didn’t. Come on, let’s get searching this library shelf by shelf.” There’s a long moment of indecision, where you can pretty much feel Bracken hanging by the doorway, waiting for you to follow him back down the passageway.
“Would it help your ruminations to learn that this book is one I have already ingested, as it were; that the data you seek now exists only in my own personal memory banks?” Sam asked. “I implore you not to think of this as me strongarming you into an unfair situation. I foresee a profitable relationship blooming between the two of us, and all I need for the moment is momentary access to your memories. I give you my word it will take less than a minute.” Another pause.
“…Fine.” You reply eventually. You turn to Bracken who has a look of disbelief and horror upon his face.
“If this takes longer than he says…” You end the sentence with a meaningful glance, which you hope communicates the idea of doing something about the situation.
“You’re mad.” Bracken says. “You’re barking mad.”

[Image: JGTH419.png]

You walk over towards the main body of Samignia, and as you do so a tentacle of green sludge rises to greet you.
“One minute?” You ask.
“One minute.” Sam replies.
“And no peeking at my private memories.”
“I would not dream of it.”
“’Oh hello I know I am a demon, and as such one of your enemies, but any chance you’d like to do a Vulcan mindmeld so that I can implant you with behavioural controls and whatnot’ ‘Oh yes that would be pretty great, take me now.’” Bracken hangs back and muttered to himself, as you reach out and rest your hand upon the green slime.

[Image: JGTH420.png]

As soon as your hand touches the cold slime you find yourself in one of your memories. You float in the waters of the guard’s quarters idly daydreaming about more competent princesses while beneath you Rubi and Iaoijeuaio appear to be chatting about their favourite Sportsball teams. You find the experience strange, for a minute or two you float there, present enough to experience everything again just as it was, but not so present as to take initiative and attempt to change things.

[Image: JGTH421-3.gif]

Suddenly everything is obscured by green. Sam's giant eye hangs in nothingness, glancing this way and that through your memories.
"Okay your highness. This shouldn't take a minute..."

[Image: JGTH422.png]

Your sense of time in this green void is not the best, but eventually you have to ask, “I could have sworn that it had been longer than a minute?”
“Your memory…” Sam replies, “…it’s like the cerebral equivalent of… of your library. How in the world do you ever find anything in here?”
“I don’t really think about the past.” You reply with a shrug.
“You are missing a not insignificant amount of time, you know.” Sam says. “A day missing here, a week missing there… this is rather quite alarming.” A pause. "Oh hang on I think I found it."

[Image: JGTH423-1.png]

Suddenly you’re seven years old. Though the details of the memory are occluded by Samigina’s presence, you can still feel the emotions. You feel anxious. You’re pretty sure you are ill; you feel boiling hot and you ache all over. You feel alone, you just want to be with your daddy. You’re petrified. You think you’re probably crying.
"Whoops.” Sam says. “My most sincere apologies your highness, I saw a repressed memory and I was pretty sure that it was going to be what I was looking for. I appear to have overshot. Umm…”
“I don’t want to do this any more.” You say, overwhelmed by the emotion of whatever this is. “I want to go home. Let me out, let me go home and see my daddy. I mean just let me go Sam.”
“Sorry sorry sorry.” Sam replies unhelpfully. “If you… just… hold… on… one… minute…”
“I want to go home now!” You exclaim.

[Image: JGTH424.png]

[Image: JGTH425.png]

You are now temporarily Brigadier Bracken. The Princess has been underneath that demon’s trance thing for a couple of minutes now and you’re starting to get a little concerned, especially with the way that there is slime crawling its way up her highness’ arm. You told her not to do it, but nooo, nobody ever listens to you. For the amount that people listen to you, you might as well be a song that nobody likes or something along those lines but more amusing. You figure you really should be doing something about the Princess and the demon, but knowing specifically what is sort of a problem.

>
>Whatever you try to do, have it end with you getting yourself stuck in Memoryspace.
Just read through this and found it to be pretty excellent indeed.

> Touch the green slime. There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong from doing this.

> If you're feeling less than willing to touch demons you hold deep distrust for, simply wait and make sure the green slime doesn't creep up on Jormungandr too much. Pull her away if necessary.
>Well, it's been more than a minute. Just pull her away! You know, physically.
> this girl is a lost cause, prolly got all sorts of demon-mind tendrils stuck in her already. Just use a particularly pointy piece of bark to get a blood sample and take it to that clonamawhatzit she was talking about earlier.
(01-14-2012, 07:49 PM)SleepingOrange Wrote: »>Well, it's been more than a minute. Just pull her away! You know, physically.

Yeah it's definitely been more than a minute.

[Image: JGTH427_zps5c4ffd00.png]
"Alright." You say. "Come on now. That's enough mucking about cavorting with eldritch monstrosities for one afternoon." There is, of course, no response. You don't know what you were expecting really. "I told her." You mutter to yourself as you try to pull her free of the demon's icky grasp.

She's stuck pretty fast and, though it could just be your imagination, you'd almost think the more you pull against its grip the tighter it becomes. "I told her this was a bad idea. I specifically said 'this is a bad idea' but nope. Nobody ever listens to old Bracken. Don't know why I even open my mouth in the first place."

After a minute spent pulling and moaning you are no closer to extricating her from the monstrosity's tendrils but you are making steady progress in dislocating Jormungandr's shoulder.

[Image: JGTH428_zpsda703098.png]

With Plan A gone exactly nowhere you stop and contemplate an alternative, at a safe distance of course. No ideas are immediately forthcoming and it occurs to you that perhaps the Princess expected you to slay the demon should things go horribly awry.

You contemplate that possibility for a moment and decide that whilst you could obviously give that a go you should try to reason with the thing first. After all it wouldn't be very nice to go around killing people without even asking if they would cooperate with you first, even if they aren't actually people but rather treacherous amoral demons. Yeah that's pretty definitely the reason.

[Image: JGTH429_zps23fdfcb5.png]
"Hello." you say awkwardly. "I don't think we've been introduced. I'm Brigadier Bracken of the Hellian Standing Militia and I'd very much appreciate it if you would release my charge from your demonic clutches." Nothing.

"Hello...?" You repeat yourself and wave a hand in front of the heap of goop you have come to consider to be Sam's face. Yet more nothing. He's probably too distracted rifling through Princess Jormungandr's private memories and doesn't even seem to notice your existence. If only you had some way to force him to pay attention to you.

(01-14-2012, 06:32 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »>Whatever you try to do, have it end with you getting yourself stuck in Memoryspace.

(01-14-2012, 07:42 PM)whoosh! Wrote: »> Touch the green slime. There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong from doing this.

[Image: JGTH430_zps35359e7e.png]
You can't believe you're going to touch this slimy bastard. "This is a really bad idea." You say, but like everyone else in the world you don't pay yourself any heed and you touch the demon slime.

[Image: JGTH431_zps715fc4b3.png]
In a moment your life seems to flash before your eyes. You relive the moment you sprouted from your Mother Tree, you relive a lonely childhood as a pupil of Tartarus School for Impressionable Young Minds, you relive your relationship with Rose; your first love, you relive a demon telling you to just hold on a minute.

Oh no wait that wasn't a memory that was Sam. "Ah hello." You say confidently. "I'm Brigadier Bracken of the Hellian Standing Militia and you're still not listening to me are you?" There is no response and your memories have since ceased to replay before your eyes. Resignedly you remove your hand from the slime.

(05-11-2012, 12:22 AM)btp Wrote: »> this girl is a lost cause, prolly got all sorts of demon-mind tendrils stuck in her already. Just use a particularly pointy piece of bark to get a blood sample and take it to that clonamawhatzit she was talking about earlier.

[Image: JGTH432_zps835a977e.png]
You are now Princess Jormungandr again. You are still stuck in some long repressed memory and for the last couple of minutes (or maybe longer, you're having difficulty keeping track of the time in this featureless void) Sam has been pretty much ignoring you.

[Image: JGTH433_zpse494bb8c.png]
Suddenly your father is there, holding you tightly and whispering to you that everything is going to be okay, that he's sorted it all out. His voice sounds strained, like he's been arguing with someone... or crying? To your annoyance you cannot help but feel reassured by his presence, but you're not going to let it go that easily.

"Give it up Sam." You say sternly. "I'm not going to be placated by your fake memories. Let me out of here, RIGHT NOW."
"If you could just be quiet for one second... your Highness." Sam replies indelicately. "Let me assure you that this is not some manipulation, simply the course that this particular memory takes."
"Yeah right." You scoff.

"Okay I believe we are done here." Samigina says finally, and you snap back to reality

[Image: JGTH434_zps117e1f50.png]
"Um, hi." Bracken says. "This is awkward... I'll just... um... wait over there then."

[Image: JGTH435_zps45a93065.png]
"I don't expect you're going to tell me how to work my inventory now?" You ask.
"No, I-" Sam replies.
"Typical." You interrupt. "I don't suppose you ever had the information in the first place."
"No, I was going to say, I thought it would save time to insert the contents of the manual directly into your memory banks, and so I have done. You already have your information." Sam says. "You're welcome."

You are surprised to find that this is true. Though you have no memories of ever reading it you can recall the manual of the Mk. 4 Hammerspace Inventory Device in excruciating detail. It turns out it responds to a specific series of thoughts and gestures. You should never have a problem operating your inventory ever again.

[Image: JGTH436_zps5a490751.png]
SpoilerShow
It appears your inventory is full... already.

[Image: JGTH437_zps2ad8a49b.gif]
Just to make sure everything's working okay you produce something from your inventory. You have no idea what this is. Maybe it's like when you get a computer and it inevitably comes with some pictures and music preinstalled, like a sample object?

[Image: JGTH438_zps017c5126.png]
"Yeah, well thanks for that at least." You say.
"I just hope that our future business will not be quite so stressful." Sam says.
"You think we're going to have future business?" You ask indignantly. "Do you really think I'm going to put myself at your mercy again? Didn't you get all the private and personal memories you wanted from me already?"
"Once more I apologise for the demanding nature of our transaction, but if I meant to harm you wouldn't I have done so already? I am not your enemy." Sam insisted. "And since you asked, I did not find the information I was seeking."
"Good I'm glad." You say. You turn to leave, but stop half way and wheel around. "Get out of my castle. You might not be my enemy but if you're still here the next time I come by I will be your enemy."

[Image: JGTH439_zps9a6c0430.png]
Bracken is, for once, silent as you make your way back through the library. Of course it doesn't last long and as soon as you're out of the secret passage he's retelling your encounter with Samigina.

His enthusiastic disbelief just washes over you. Your attention is elsewhere; you can't stop thinking about that memory. You wish you'd demanded an explanation from Sam, but you don't think you would have gotten one anyway. And that whole thing about your memory being a mess; missing time and repressed memories... And just what did Sam want from your memories anyway?

[Image: JGTH440_zpse07e11a8.png]
"He's just playing mind games with you." Bracken says. "Like, literally playing games with your mind. Just don't let him get under your skin..." he paused. "Not again at any rate."

"You might be right." You say after a moment. You try to shrug it off but can't help but scrutinise the library door. It doesn't look the most secure and you don't really like the thought of giving Sam any more free reign than he already has.

"Are you actually taking my advice?" Bracken asks incredulously. "That never happens. Want to make it two for two and let's hurry back on to the War Room and get this War Council out of the way?"

>
RE: Jormungandr Goes To Hell - BACK FROM THE DEAD
SpoilerShow

Sure. While you're at it, wiggle your arm. It appears to have become either stained or a tentacle. You could be a tentacular mindbeast protospawn right now! :O
RE: Jormungandr Goes To Hell - BACK FROM THE DEAD
SpoilerShow
RE: Jormungandr Goes To Hell - IT JUST WON'T DIE
(01-25-2014, 01:34 AM)AgentBlue Wrote: »Sure. While you're at it, wiggle your arm. It appears to have become either stained or a tentacle. You could be a tentacular mindbeast protospawn right now! :O

[Image: JGTH441.png]

Sadly you have once again failed to acquire cool demon physiology. Your arm is just thick with demon goop. You doubt it will ever be quite clean again. Ew. You also notice your other arm is now sporting a tourniquet and bleeding a little and shoot Bracken an inquisitive look.

“Uh yeah, that was me.” He admits. “I was going to clone you, yes, but it’s not like you think. I didn’t think you were going to die I knew you’d do whatever it was you did to escape from that monster’s clutches I just, uhh, thought it’d be handy to have a backup you know.”

You roll your eyes and make a mental note not to entrust your safety to the Brigadier again. “Okay sure, whatever. How about we get on and finally get this War Council over with?”

[Image: JGTH442.png]

Someone is really concerned about people falling down this hole. You’re all for safety (you suppose) but messing up your castle is your job damn it. And the hole’s not even that deep. You spare a glance down into the hole and, actually it looks deeper than you remember. It looks pretty dark down there actually.

“You’re not about to throw yourself down there are you?” Bracken asks. “Did you somehow miss all the warning signs?”

“Did you see who did this?” You ask.

“No, that hole’s been there since I got here.” Bracken says. “Can’t blame me for that one.”

“I meant- nevermind.” You say. “Come on then.”

[Image: JGTH443.png]

“We have returned triumphant!” Bracken announces as you walk in. “Let me regale you with the tale of how the fair Princess Jormungandr vanquished, well no not vanquished I guess, but certainly gave a good talking to to a terrible vicious odious demon. It all began when-”

“You okay Jor?” Hel interrupts concernedly.

“I’m a little shook up but I’m okay.” You say, giving a shy smile. “Nothing I couldn’t handle.”

“Hah!” Hel snorts. “These demons ought to have known better than to pick on my little sister.”

“So the demon in question is dead then?” The General asks.

“Well no.” You reply. Hel’s grin falters.

“Well, it’s gonna wish it was when I’m through with it.” She snaps. “The library right?”

[Image: JGTH444.png]

“Leave it Hel.” You reply wearily. “It’s a massive blob thing. Punching it really hard isn’t going to make any difference.”

“You don’t know how hard I’m going to punch it.” Hel retorts. “It will feel it.”

“Don’t we have a council to hold?” Fenrir sounds even more tired than you do.

“That’s right.” Oioujuoaie pipes up. “Since you, uh, your other self descended into Hell we got the first reports in from the field.” He motions you over to the map.

[Image: warmap1.png]

“There are three known incursion points.” General Oioujuoaie explains.

“You mean hellholes.” Hel says. “Just call them hellholes.”

“Incursion Point alpha,” the general pauses to briefly glare at Hel, “is located in the heart of Jormunopolis. It caught everyone off guard and I am sad to report a large number of casualties. The demons essentially control Jormunopolis at this point. Any survivors are keeping a low profile or got out of there while that was still an option.”

“Incursion point beta is located on the Loop, between Shoal Iija and Crossroads. Reports are that the road has been rendered impassable. The demons from this Incursion point have moved south and are laying siege to Shoal Iija.”

“Incursion point gamma is located to the southeast of Joville. Demons have been seen moving south onto the Loop from there.”

“We’ve heard from every shoal except Shoal Eojo. Shoals Aejo, Oeji and Uaje have begun fortifying the nearby towns but so far haven’t encountered any demons. Captain Uaaijuoiea of Aejo Shoal reports that he’s been organizing evacuations of the citizens of Jorport to Gorgon and Lethe, though mainly Gorgon for… obvious reasons.”

“Meanwhile,” Hel butts in, “I’ve mobilized the Hellian Standing Militia. They’re probably currently somewhere between Stygia and Styx. After that they’ll be coming down through Archeron and then to us. Once they’re here trust me these demons aren’t going to stand a chance.”

[Image: JGTH445.png]

“Since you, um the other you left you in charge it’s your call how we proceed from here.” Oioujuoaie says. “Though if you wish to place the responsibility of co-ordinating troop movements into the hands of another I volunteer myself for that task.”

Hel scowls. “He’s right though, you’re the boss. This is your Principality at stake here. We do this how you want to and if you don’t want to do the whole military thing you should really leave me in charge. I’ve actually seen battle.”

“Play nice you two we’re all on the same side here.” You say. “And let me give it some consideration.”

SpoilerShow

[Image: JGTH446alt.png]

“Well, if we’re done here I have a demon I need to punch.” Hel announces and strides off towards the library without waiting for any further input.

Almost as soon as she’s out of the room Fenrir turns to follow her. “I’m going to see if it’s at all possible to get some air.” She mumbles, “Let me know if there’s anything I can do.” And follows Hel out into the hall.

[Image: JGTH446-2.png]

Wow, what’s her problem?” Bracken jokes

“Don’t.” You say flatly. “Why don’t you go and make sure Hel doesn’t get herself eaten.”

“Alright, sorry, didn’t mean anything by it.” Bracken quickly backpedals and hurries after Hel.

[Image: JGTH446-3.png]

“Your highness,” Oioujouiae begins sheepishly, “There’s also a security issue you should be aware of.”

“More of a security issue than the slime demon three rooms away from us?” You ask.

“About on par I’d say.” The General says after a moment’s deliberation. “You see the problem is all our weapons are missing.” He chatters on nervously, not meeting your gaze. “I don’t know how it happened, the squid are reporting seeing some kind of blur and suddenly their weapons are either gone, or if they managed to hold onto them they are swaddled so thick in safety tape that they have become useless. And no despite our best efforts we haven’t been able to remove the tape.” When he’s done there’s a long silence.

“All the weapons are gone?” You ask dumbly.

“Yes.” Oioujouiae says.

“We’re completely defenceless?”

“Yes.”

“Right.” You say. “I’ll add it to my to-do list.”

[Image: JGTH447-1.png]

Oh right yeah this is Fen's phone.

[Image: JGTH447-2.png]

Crisis duly noted.

[Image: JGTH448.png]

Okay so now what.

>

SpoilerShow
RE: Jormungandr Goes To Hell - GOING TO TRY FOR REGULAR UPDATES THIS TIME
>Midgandr: Most things are temporarily handled in the short term, better go check on Fenrir before you do wars and such.

>Hellgandr: Go find out what all this Hellish encampment is about and who's there.
We should probably resolve the weapons first. It sounds like the work of something really fast and possibly safety-conscious.

Maybe we can set up some sort of hazard and try to catch the culprit when they attempt to cordon it off? This can't possibly backfire what are you talking about.
SpoilerShow
RE: Jormungandr Goes To Hell - UPDATING SOON(?)
Ix you are a beacon of hope for us all.

> Get into that war stuff.