The Write Stuff: The contest is OPEN! Sign-ups are closed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Things are off the ground! You are all allowed to begin work on your adventures, as of shortly before the time I am making this post! I have high expectations from each and every one of you.

A text-based adventure contest! Leave your tablets and art pens at the door, this is going to be a battle waged with words.

Here's how it's going to go down:

I have two lists here. One of them is a list of possible settings: Western, Sci-fi, Medieval, Modern, Dystopic, Prehistoric, Superhero, ______punk, Office, and Animals.

The other is a list of tones: Horror, Romance, Fantasy, Buddy Cop, Crime, Road Trip, Political, Educational, Martial Arts, and Children's.

You, should you choose to be one of our brave contestants, will be randomly assigned an item from each of these two lists, and your task is to create and maintain a text adventure using your assigned setting and tone as a jumping-off point! It should last oh, say, about a month. From there, the sky's the limit. Let your creativity and writing skill shine through!

Possibly Asked Questions:

Q: How will this contest be judged?

A: By me, primarily! It will be judged on such criteria as creativity, clarity of conception, skill at writing such things as dialogue and scene... but foremost on one very important thing: Is it entertaining? Does it have that certain je ne sais quoi that hooks readers, and makes people chomp at the bit for your next update? Is it fun?

(I should add that I am taking applicants for co-judges, if you'd like to participate but don't have the bug to start an adventure. Send me a private message!) Edit: Wheat has graciously offered to serve in a co-judicial capacity for this contest! Tender your bribes/blackmail accordingly.

Q: Is there an applicant limit?

A: No! At least, I don't think we'll be needing one. I'd prefer if you sent in your application as soon as possible, which leads me into the next question:

Q: When will you start?

A: December 1! It will last a month from that date, at and the end of it, we will decide our winner or winners. (You are all winners for participating. This is more than a platitude, because the only real prize being offered is fun, and hopefully you all get some of that.)

Contestants are encouraged to contribute constructive suggestions to their fellow competitors! This is very much a friendly competition, and everyone needs suggestions to get off the ground, so do your part for your neighbors and they'll do the same for you.

Further questions are also welcomed.

Contestants:
1. Dragon Fogel - Medieval Children's
2. Schazer - Political Animals
3. cyber95 - Modern Crime Prehistoric Political
4. MrGuy - Office Road Trip
5. AgentBlue - Prehistoric Educational
6. Fabricati - Dystopic Political
7. een - Medieval Martial Arts
8. Topdog - Superhero Fantasy
9. XX - Prehistoric Horror
10. Marcherry - Superhero Horror Dystopic Children's
11. goggleman64 - Western Fantasy
12. GreyGabe - _____punk Buddy Cop
13. Aryogaton - Medieval Educational
14. Skelatox - Superhero Political
15. Ixcaliber - Fantasy Office
16. Drakenforge - Superhero Crime
17. btp - Medieval Crime

SIGNUPS ARE OVER! Thank you all for your interest, and similar events may be held in the future if there is enough support.

NOTE: If you find your theme assignment to be wholly unsatisfactory, let me know, and I'll roll you a new one! The theme is meant to provide a pleasant challenge, not an onerous one. This contest is meant to be fun!
Re: The Write Stuff: Text Adventure Contest! Signups are now
I'm in!
I'm in!

Come ooooon prehistoric buddy cops
I could jump into the text adventurin' ring again.
Oh man a text-adventure

I can do this

I can DO this HRNGH
Maaaaaay as well :3
Like I wouldn't sign up for this. Happymelon
i'll play =)
This account admin-abused to express the sheer levels of awesome this user possesses. Een, you the awesome. Everyone else, Een the awesome. Just a heads-up.
This is a thing that I could probably do
Hey losers here I am, I will write shit despite not being able to write already. fuck you.

free bitch
who wrote in my signature =| ?
This account admin-abused to express the sheer levels of awesome this user possesses. Een, you the awesome. Everyone else, Een the awesome. Just a heads-up.
een Wrote:who wrote in my signature =| ?
Schazer did, remember? She told you about it.
Bwahahahaha

I was either drunk or Pines when I wrote that.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmkay.
*clears throat*

sure.
Gonna herp this derp

GONNA HERP IT LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS

Though it will be everybody's business because this derp will be readable by all.
A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES!

Yeah I'm in.
[Image: j5xngn.jpg]
Not signing up (I prefer visual adventures to text ones) but good luck to everyone who's in!
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
Re: The Write Stuff: Text Adventure Contest! UPDATE!
fuck you pyps
New, important info in the first post!

And furthermore, a note: The occasional picture is allowed, as part of your adventure, as an extra for the artistically inclined! HOWEVER, the adventure must still be largely a textual one, and the prettiness of your pictures, or whether you have them at all, will be entirely ignored during judging.

The rule of thumb is as follows: Does my adventure lose any of its meaning if all the pictures are removed? The answer should be a resounding NO. If it isn't, you need to think of how you can rely on your writing more!

But, as I've iterated, the point of this contest is fun! Some of you might have more fun if you can add the occasional picture, and I'm not going to deny you, as long as you remember that this is a contest of text adventures first and foremost.
I would like to s-oh wait it started. Well, half-started.

Um.
I'm in. Ooooh, pleaase Dystopian Children's...
Pfffhahahahahaaa . . .

Western Fantasy? HELLS yes.
I can't not join contests.
A bit late but I'll sign up as well please