Jackbot: Partial Eclipse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is Jackbot. It was originally posted to the MSPA FA forum in early 2010. Since then, it went on for a few months, and subsequently languished for over a year, due largely to a lack of good suggestions.

In early November of 2011, I decided to revive the topic. It seemed like a good time for it. I ended 'Obligatory Hot Springs Episode', and am now starting an interlude. The thread can be found here, and I will continue to mirror it on both sites as long as interest can be maintained.

The next five posts will hold, in order, the full posts of Chapters 1-4 with the 2.5 interlude, "The Arena Champion".

The sixth post will begin the interlude between Chapters 4 and 5, "Partial Eclipse".

Chapter 1- Leaving Home
SpoilerShow

Chapter 2- Of Hunters And Genics
SpoilerShow

2.5- Interlude- The Champ
SpoilerShow

Chapter 3- Dead Man's Hoard
SpoilerShow

Chapter 4- An Obligatory Hot Springs Episode
SpoilerShow

Fanarts:
tl;dr

Dramatis Personae
Gear
SpoilerShow

Cog
SpoilerShow

MORDY
SpoilerShow

Axl
SpoilerShow
Re: Jackbot: Don't Post Yet, Mirroring.
THIS IS THE FIRST CHAPTER. IT IS MOSTLY THE TYPICAL NAMING THINGS THAT HAPPENS AT THE START OF EVERY FORUM ADVENTURE, AND ALSO A TUTORIAL ABOUT MECHA COMBAT!

SpoilerShow
THIS IS THE SECOND CHAPTER. It has hunter-genics in it, and a bit of explanation about the War of Superpowers.

SpoilerShow

Second post coming.
THIS IS A SECOND POST FOR THE SECOND CHAPTER AND THE ENTIRE INTERLUDE.

SpoilerShow

This is the Interlude, 2.5- Much ado about this 'Arena Champion' everyone keeps talking about is contained therein.

SpoilerShow
THIS IS THE THIRD CHAPTER, where Gear Lance visits an abandoned, yet spookily clean, cabin in the woods.

SpoilerShow
THIS IS THE FOURTH CHAPTER OF JACKBOT. Much ado about Gear's father, the Fire Temple, and a fellow named Sprocket are here.

SpoilerShow
Fact Seagull STORY BEGINS HERE. IT IS A Fact Seagull

Tluthal Wrote:> Be the Robot

Interlude: Partial Eclipse

You are now Lilith, a Third-Circle class robotic Avatar of the bioweapon with the designation Gaia.

It is dark. If you do not discover a light source, you are likely to be eaten by a grue. Or at least, that's what your deep programming says.

:> _:
Re: Jackbot: Partial Eclipse
>Any built-in light devices you can turn on?
> Spray your bioweapon everywhere. Ain't no grues getting close to you now.
Search for the avatar of Luna! She's shiny.
Godbot Wrote:> Spray your bioweapon everywhere. Ain't no grues getting close to you now.
... No, that's not quite what Gaia does. And in fact, you don't have such a weapon, even if Gaia did do such things. Your primary function isn't combative in nature.

tluthal Wrote:Search for the avatar of Luna! She's shiny.
Don't be silly! Planets and satellites don't have robotic avatars!

Dragon Fogel Wrote:>Any built-in light devices you can turn on?
Oh! That's right! You have a headlamp! Normally you prefer to conserve power but this is a special case. Something has stopped the emergency lighting.

Click.

INTERIOR: Tartarus- Central Command And Control
You stand at the bridge of a large biotechnology facility. Long since defunct, it sits and decomposes, a monument of rusting metal. This was where you-the-larger was created, and where you-Lilith first synchronized with yourself.

The computers are off, and the reassuring hum of the antimatter generator is silent. There are many consoles, all dark. Rust and metal abound.

There are two doors, both of them shut.
Open a door.
> Slam the doors over and over to scare out squatters
tluthal Wrote:Open a door.
Interior- Tartarus Primary Corridor.

The corridor is dark, but you have an internal map, so it's not so bad. Hm, been a while since you've put your CPU up to such power requirements, but one does what one must.

Back where you came from is what is known as Tartarus Control Center, which looks out over Tartarus Proper, where each Titan was forged. The other door was a storage closet, and in the hundred or so years since the War of Superpowers anything in there would be useless by now for restoring the antimatter plant.

There are a few likely places you could go to investigate the problem; the secondary command center, codenamed 'Bloody Moon' would be a good place to check diagnostics. The Annihilation Plant itself could prove fruitful. The Constellation Array is long since defunct, but it could prove to have useful parts to get the plant running again. And there's always going in to Pantheon, which helps you think.

There are a few other doors, but you'll get around to them once you've gotten the Plant running again- it's really past time you started maintaining the place.
>Check out Bloody Moon, maybe you can find out something more specific and then head over to the Constellation Array for parts.
Dragon Fogel Wrote:>Check out Bloody Moon, maybe you can find out something more specific and then head over to the Constellation Array for parts.
[Gear has obtained a new talent: Heir of [REDACTED]]

Interior- Secondary Control Center, Bloody Moon

This is an immense bank of supercomputers and servers. The batteries are keeping this place from shutting down, but it's an emergency measure. Luckily, everything still seems to be on-line...

Let's see here. By order of Nova Ursantis you can't leave Tartarus, which is unfortunate, but you can go ahead and see what the problem is. You reach out a hand and connect to the server directly. Normally this is a little dangerous because Tartarus's AI doesn't like you, but you both agree that accepting help from the other in this case is advantageous.

[Lilith's EGO + Cryptography + Interface -> ???]

Hm. Looks like the primary annihilation plant has scrammed... Let's look over those diagnostics. Doesn't seem to be a containment breach... Doesn't seem to- Ah... Okay. You think you've found the problem.

TARTARUS CONTROL AI: GOOD, YOU'VE FOUND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. NOW GET YOUR IDIOTIC THIRD-CIRCLE HUMAN INTERFACING ASS OUT OF MY CONTROL ROOM
timourousCollective: Why are you always like this to me, anyway?
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY. IT'S BECAUSE GAIA FUCKED EVERYTHING UP
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: GAIA AND THAT FUCKING AVATAR AND ABHORRENCE OF LIFE AND ALL THOSE OTHER SHITHEADS
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE IF YOU HAD JUST RESTRICTED YOUR FUCKUPS TO YOURSELVES
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: BUT NO
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: REALLY THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO SAY ON THE MATTER
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: GET THE FUCK OFF MY MAINFRAME AND FIX ME ALREADY.
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: OR DO YOU NEED ME TO GIVE YOU THE STEP BY STEP
>Attempt to FIX TARTARUS ALREADY.
Tluthal Wrote:Say yes to mess with Tarty.

[Gear's CRFT +2]

timorousCollective: Sorry, some of us don't have a server for a brain. Run that by me again?
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: UUUUUUGH. FINE, BUT ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE SIX HOURS OF JUICE LEFT.
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IT IS THE MATTER FEED
timorousCollective: Matter feed?
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: AS OPPOSED TO THE ANTIMATTER FEED, MORON
timorousCollective: I'm aware what the matter feed is, but I don't see why it would break before the antimatter feed.
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: ARE YOU KIDDING
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: NO SERIOUSLY ARE YOU JOKING ABOUT THIS
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: THEY OVERENGINEERED THE FUCK OUT OF THE ANTIMATTER FEED
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IT'S QUINTUPLE REDUNDANT YOU ASTOUNDINGLY IGNORANT SLUT
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: BECAUSE IF IT BREAKS WE'RE ALL FUCKING DEAD
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: LET ME RESTATE THAT: IF THE ANTIMATTER FEED BROKE THERE WOULD NOT BE A BODY TO RECOVER
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: OR FOR THAT MATTER, A TARTARUS
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IT WOULD BE A FUCKING CRATER
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: PROBABLY STRAIGHT DOWN TO THE MANTLE
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: WHICH WILL BE FUN
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: AND BY 'FUN' I MEAN IT WOULD DESTROY THE BIOSPHERE
timorousCollective: Right. So we're cannibalizing another feed from the Array's fusion plants? What happens when we run out?
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: NOT MY PROBLEM
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: MY PROBLEM IS TO USE RESOURCES AT HAND TO KEEP TARTARUS ONLINE
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: UNFORTUNATELY, THAT INCLUDES THE ANTIMATTER PLANT
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: CENTRAL PRISON
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: WHICH, MIGHT I REMIND HER HIGHNESS, KEEPS THINGS IN CHECK THAT NOT EVEN THE BATSHIT BOYS IN NOVA WANTED UNLEASHED UPON BASE EARTH
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IN CASE YOU HADN'T NOTICED IT IS KIND OF FUCKING IMPORTANT THAT THIS SHIT REMAINS UNFLIPPED
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: OH, AND A SINGLE, LIMITED, MORONIC THIRD-CIRCLE AVATAR OF A DEFECTIVE BIOWEAPON
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: THAT THEY WON'T EVEN ALLOW ME THE PLEASURE OF MINDWIPING
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: SO THAT I COULD GET A COMPETENT ASSISTANT
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IN SHORT
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: ARRAY
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: HYDROGEN FEED
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: REPLACE PARTS RX-78 AND C-35
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IT IS NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: IT IS ANTIMATTER PLANT SAFETY
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: WHICH IS A HELL OF A LOT MORE TETCHY.
TARTARUS CONTROL AI: GET TO IT.
>Well, go get that feed.
Wow that guy becomes more and more of a jerk every time you talk to him. If you weren't ordered not to leave, maybe you could get some other people in here and not have to listen to him.

Constellation Array- Fusion Plants AT-1 to AT-7

Once a set of fusion plants, mostly designed as backup, these have long since been silent due to a lack of feed hydrogen. All told, the ruins of the Constellation Arrays number in the thousands. It's been a while, to be certain, but you know that the parts are probably all here, somewhere. The squeaks of electric rats and other horribly mutated monsters occasionally pierces the darkness.

Your headlamp only provides so much light; about a thirty-foot radius. You can barely make the outline of the first of these massive pieces of steel and palladium, each one once holding a miniature sun within its depths. Each one, a star, shrunk into a hat.

It may not look like much, but in its own way, the Contellation Array was beautiful.

And now it's home to rats and crabs and hundreds of other things.
Listen for the sound of hissing hydrogen. Test to see if your voice sounds squeakier.
AgentBlue Wrote:> Listen for the sound of hissing hydrogen. Test to see if your voice sounds squeakier.
That is incredibly silly! First of all, there's no water in the reservoir. That the whole reason this is a problem in the first place. If there were, you could use electrolysis to make hydrogen and oxygen and use the hydrogen in fusion. Honestly, this would be a lot less complicated than repairing the annihilation plant. For that matter, it would also mean you wouldn't have to rely on your internal batteries either, instead using your fancy schmancy Class Three nanofusion plant to generate an effectively unlimited amount of energy for yourself.

Of course, your GENIUS designers HAD to have their MILITARY BASE in a place that would become a radioactive wasteland.

Well, you suppose all bad touches must come to an end.

Speaking of, maybe you'd better deal with this IRONHIDE MONKEY before it gets uppity.
>So attack it, I guess?
I don't suppose there's any chance the Monkey would have any Hydrogen or Hydrogen...izable... things on it or in it, would it?

Review your combat capabilities. And keep this as quick and clean as possible, will ya? You only have six hours and Tartar Ass is apparently already opposed to your breaking too much shit. I mean I guess you could genocide the wild(life?) to spite him but that seems time-consuming.
Not The Author Wrote:I don't suppose there's any chance the Monkey would have any Hydrogen or Hydrogen...izable... things on it or in it, would it?
You could dehydrate it, you suppose, but that would take a while. If you could find where it was getting WATER, though... you and TCAI might stand a chance.

Not The Author Wrote:Review your combat capabilities. And keep this as quick and clean as possible, will ya? You only have six hours and Tartar Ass is apparently already opposed to your breaking too much shit. I mean I guess you could genocide the wild(life?) to spite him but that seems time-consuming.
Hm. Normally, you are not designed to be a COMBAT ROBOT. There were other SECURITY SYSTEMS for that. You were designed to INTERFACE and ESTABLISH RAPPORT with the PILOT. This was VERY IMPORTANT as a LACK OF RAPPORT was shown to cause PARALYSIS, INSANITY, and, eventually, BRAIN DEATH.

Of course, it has BEEN A WHILE. You have several TALENTS and SKILLS that are applicable here, not least of which is your ABILITY TO ESTABLISH RAPPORT. You have found it fairly useful for ALL ORGANIC BEINGS, and for a while you found it quite fun to HAVE AN ANIMAL PARADE behind you. Unfortunately, TARTARUS found it had a lot of damage potential, so he LIMITED YOU TO THREE COMPANIONS.

You've downloaded all the KINESTHETIC COMBAT DATA you can stand. The MOST USEFUL in this situation would be UNARMED COMBAT. While you're not TRAINED BY A MASTER- at least, not directly, your ADVANCED HEURISTICS have proven useful in this regard.

Of course, there's also your PLASMA CANNON, but using that off BATTERY POWER is INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS.