Steam Summer Giveaway 2014

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam Summer Giveaway 2014
RE: Steam Summer Giveaway 2014
In an effort to avoid the thread derailing into anything unsavory I will say I think Schazer was directly talking about responses that sound more like 'well I don't have anything better to do', as opposed to anything that doesn't involve bolded fonts, capslock, and at least three exclamation marks.

Personally I don't mind what kind of in people give but I do understand and appreciate the sentiment.

Also I am downright shocked that in all of Eagle Time only 16 individuals have stepped forward to brave our clever trap exciting pseudo-game slash giveaway.
I just gave theses guys more games to giveaway do it.
maybe we can shank people for the games?
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
(07-08-2014, 09:01 PM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »maybe we can shank people for the games?

Keep your shanks in the pantsthread Credit, no-one wants to see that hanging out.

(This is a super cool giveaway and major props to Palamedes/Dpaul for running it)
Well to be fair I count myself as an Eagletimer through and through I just happened to see the giveaway on the OTHER forum first.

In case my other in wasn't ecstatic enough: WOO! Free Gameses!! Lemme throw humble codes at you!!!
I would much rather play on this forum. Don't ask why.
I'd just like to say that it's cool of you to not only do this whole thing but also be like all chill and "nah you dont need to give out anything" because I'm absolutely terrible at Steam, and don't know how anything there works, even though "Steam" is not really a qualifiable skill. So I have like 6 games.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
Well if we asked everyone to bring games that kind of would ruin the point of giving out free ones.

Also we started with about 50 games between us and it'd be kind of nice to get that down to a saner amount.
I volunteer to selflessly take some of those games off your hands before the game starts. To relieve administrative burden, ofc.
Oh, what the heck, include me in this. I don't play games on Steam often, but hey, I might end up with something interesting.
I think we can trade the games we win anyways in case people are eyeing eachothers thinnnngssss
I have two games on Steam.

I would definitely not be averse to having more.
this is a great scheme for sharing the nice feels
I would love to be able to join, many thanks
i missed a fair amount of summer saling so please sign me up
*BMO voice* who wants to play
VIIIIIDEO GAAAAAAAAAAMES

... ... ... me. sign me up.
By the way, I'm going to be out of town for most of tomorrow, so expect this thing to officially start up sometime on SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAAAAY.

(Or possibly Monday depending on where you live in the world.)
I'd like to join to if it's not to late!~ Thanks for doing this giveaway!
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
Alright, so we should be starting very soon now. But before we begin, I've got a few short announcements/reminders to get out of the way first.

1. The full rules list is in the OP, but for those of you who need a refresher, the short version is this: Everybody gets 100 points to start off with, which they can distribute however they want into the various available games*. The more points you have on a title relative to everybody else, the better your chances of winning that game. After each round, we determine the winners of the four most popular games, and everybody else gets another 25 points to deposit wherever they want into the remaining games. Rinse and repeat until everybody has a copy of their chosen game. Sounds simple enough right? Right.
(*Up until a certain point that is. If I see you trying to distribute single odd digits worth of points into dozens of different titles at once, I am probably going to ignore you and ask you distribute them in a way that doesn't make me want to cry whenever I start thinking of tallying up the current points.)

2. Keep in mind that this game is being run simultaneously on both the Chocolate Pi and Eagle Time Forums. I will do my best to keep the points list updated for both forums at least once a day, but you might want to consider keep an eye on both threads if you're worried about somebody stacking too many points onto the same game as you. You can find a link to the other thread in the OP, or alternately, right here.

3. Please make sure to post all of your point deposits in either this thread and/or the other one, and NOT through PMs or any other offsite chat services. This is partly because I don't want Pala and myself to be trying to record actions coming from eight directions at once, and partly because there's not any real need for them to be secret in the first place anyway.

4. A good fraction of the games that we have up for grabs here are link/codes that were picked up from places such as humblebundle.com. I'm fairly sure that most of these codes should work, but on the off chance that you get one that doesn't work for some reason, just let us know and we'll try to give you a choice between a few other backup games instead. To redeem a game code, just open up the Library tab on Steam and look in the bottom left corner for the option to add a new game. It should look something like this.

5. Since I expect the first round to likely end up being much more chaotic and high stakes than the following rounds (due to the higher point values and so on), I've decided that the first round is going to last somewhere around 4 days while we wait for everybody to check in. After that first round though, subsequent rounds will only last about 48 hours.

6. And finally, remember to have fun, and try not to feel too bitter if somebody else manages to yank the game you were hoping for out from under you at the last second, or whatever. After all, it's not their fault that they were born with such great taste in games.

Good luck everyone.

(P.S. Good timing Crowstone, you just barely made the final cut.)
DAY ONE

Nobody was ever quite sure as to how exactly the giant crate of videogames had ended up right in the middle of town square. Perhaps it had fallen off the back of a passing truck, or maybe it had been purposely left behind by some sort of malevolent benefactor. But no matter how it arrived, there was only one way to decide who gets the crate now. Everybody in town would just have to murder one other until only one person remained, as is customary around these parts for settling minor disputes.

You suppose it was inevitable in a way. This town hadn't seen a decent sized massacre in almost twenty years, so you guess you really were long overdue. Everyone begins revealing all of the weapons that they naturally have hidden on them at any given time. A few helpful citizens set off in search of a good rope to use as a noose.

"Wait a minute everyone!" shouts somebody from the back of the crowd. "It doesn't have to be like this! What if we tried..... sharing the games?"

You all just stand there dumbfounded for a moment. "What, you mean like a compromise or something?" "Hey, I think I've heard of one of those compromise type things before! I'm not entirely sure what it means though..." "I think he's saying that we should try to split the games between everyone here fairly, instead of killing each other or something."

The rest of you aren't too convinced about this whole "sharing" thing just yet, but you decide to give it a shot. After all, if it doesn't work out, you can always just fall back onto the murdering later on.

Slowly, you all pry open the crate, and look to see what's inside...

Games Currently Up For Grabs:
SpoilerShow

Note 1: For the games that we have 2 copies of here (Bastion and Psychonauts), they will be treated as if they were a single title that we are rolling the winners for twice. In other words, you don't need to put your points down under "Bastion #1" or "Bastion #2", just "Bastion" would be fine.

Note 2: The above list has 49 games on it, even though they are only 44 players in the game. This does not mean that we will be giving out second copies to anybody, but is only meant to give the last few players in the game more than a single option to chose from.

Note 3: I plan on hopefully giving a brief overview on many of the above games at some point, or at least the ones that I've personally played. If anybody here has a request for me to describe first, or simply wants to talk about their own thoughts on one of the games up there, please feel free.

Everybody currently has 100 points to distribute between whichever of the above games that they wish. Round one ends at 2 am EST, on July 18th, or in approximately 96 hours.
I'll open the bidding with 80 points on Marlow Briggs and 20 points on Zeno Clash.
I'll go... 45 points on Age Of Empires II HD, 45 points on Shredded Please.

I'll sit on my other ten points until I can get home and check my computer's system requirements.
I'm going to throw a sweet 100 into Sleeping Dogs.

...I'm homesick... ;-;
All in on civ5.
oh hey CB or Pala, could I get a couple of rules clarifications/worst-case-scenario mappings?

Each round, the four games with the most points on them are given away. All players who contributed points have a 1/x chance per point contributed to the pot, where x is the total points.

As I understand it, if the game you chucked points on pops and you fail to win it, you don't get your points refunded. If you put all 100 points on games and none of them reach the Top 4 that are raffled at the end of the round, do your points sit on the board and carry over to the next round?

What I'm saying is like, using the two hypothetical participants Casual and Scrub:

Bidding:
5 points Game A
5 points Game B
5 points Game C
5 points Game D
40 points Game E (Casual's preferred game, also secretly Scrub's. Scrub has put 0 points anywhere.)

60 points spent; 40 points remaining

End of round, total points:
Game A 50 points
Game B 55 points
Game C 60 points
Game D 50 points
Game E 40 points (Only Casual's points on Game E)

A, B, C, and D go up for raffle, and Casual wins none of them. They will have 40 points remaining (plus 25 with the new round). Will Casual's points on E stick around, or will Scrub's patience pay off in the longer run when they have 125 points pooled against Casual's 65?

---

Damn, I was originally thinking that points on un-raffled games stuck around for fairness, but the above kind of adds an extra layer to it. I guess it's Pala and CB's call whether the extra layer of metagaming can be conducted in good spirits or whether it's better to curtail that kind of thing.

---

Oh also worst-case scenario! What happens if Casual wins the draw on A B, C, and D? Do they get to choose the game they want and the remainder get re-drawn with Casual's points taken out of the pool?

Alternative worst case scenario: a tie for fourth slot for "most bids" in around, or even better five or more games with an equal number of points on them. What do then?
All in on Sleeping Dogs! (all 100)
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]