Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs+Changelog

Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs+Changelog
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs+Changelog
Sounds good!
yeah!! I didnt know that the server has been dealin' with this much on its plate, and i hope stuff gets fixed with time!
SpoilerShow
me too, good luck y'all ouob
Bug:

The [bg]/[background] tags do not work when surrounding an [align] tag.

no align

left-align tag inside bg

center-align tag inside bg

right-align tag inside bg

left-align tag outside bg
center-align tag outside bg
right-align tag outside bg
For any who were curious how stuff's going RE: the updates and fixes, I've started a dedicated update thread for the Forum Overhaul. I'll be posting progress, taking feedback and suggestions, and so on over yonder! If you've reported or report bugs in this thread, I'll be working 'em into the log too, so we good there.

Thread Link: https://eagle-time.org/showthread.php?tid=3324
More bugs

Alignment tags on a single line don't result in a blank line, unlike most tags. They sort of eat the blank line, leaving one less line break.

"
[noparse]
b
[/noparse]
"

Becomes

"

b

"
(Notice the blank lines between the quotation marks and the "b", that's where the tags are.)

But

"
[noparse]
a
[/noparse]
"

Becomes

"
a
"
(The lines with the tags on them just kind of disappear, never to be seen again)

Mismatched tags act... strangely. Say you have the tags [noparse]123[/noparse]. You'd expect it to print out something like this -- 1[noparse][/noparse]2[noparse]3[/noparse] -- right? The 2 and 3 are bolded, because they're within the [noparse][/noparse] tags. The [noparse][/noparse] tags don't work -- nothing is underlined and the tags print as plaintext -- because the front tag can't access the end tag from within the [noparse][b][/noparse] tags.

Or maybe formatting can actually overlap without being completely contained, and it would just end up like this -- [b]1[u]2
3 -- everything nice and simple and working fine.

Nope.

The end tags take on each other's roles, and you get this -- 123 -- that is, what you would have gotten if the tags were balanced in the beginning, with the bold on the outside.

It's utterly bizarre.
That suggests the code for each formatting tag is just looking for any closing tag, not the correct one.

[b]Hmm.[/u] But then again, nothing happens if I just do this.
aaabbbcccdddeeefff

This is wild.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
At this point, would it be easier to migrate or archive existing threads to a newer, stable codebase than attempt to fix the one being used right now?
[Image: jt0Cf7522wX9Gp-rLZuSVuS9drxEdxC7ZldowSZy...640-h80-no]
It'd probably not be easier to migrate to a new system, no. That'd break at least as many features, and may change a lot of things we won't be able to fix to be like they used to be.

If it helps, I have a good idea what causes these formatting tag problems; when the forum backend turns your BBcode into HTML, there are a few different phases of text-parsing done that sometimes conflict, and which sometimes create unexpected effects. For one example, the raw text of a post is changed by the built-in MyBB parser, which sometimes adds line breaks, and even permanently changes the text of tags you type when a post is submitted, which can be seen when editing a post with such a tag; a [center] tag becomes [align=center] for instance.

MyBB doesn't make it terribly easy to recode their built-in text parser; it's hidden unless you have back-end access, and changes may be overwritten by updates. The stuff Admins are intended to use is strapped on top in an Admin-created Custom BBCode Tag system in the Admin control panel. These tags are easy to code, but less powerful (they just turn certain BBCode Tags text into HTML tags, but can't do more complicated scripting stuff). Any BBCode Tags we create using their built-in system also can't be nested the way built-in tags can be, among other weird idiosyncrasies. This is how most content plugins (video embedding, some alignment tags, etc.) work.

Forum Admins also have access to more complex-to-create but more powerful Javascript Plugins. These aren't subject to the same restrictions since their functionality is all made from scratch, but it's also considerably more work to code and implement 'em. For example, this is how Spoilers work, and why they can be nested.

Anyway, I still need to investigate the backend stuff to see what I can do to change it; unfortunately, it would probably need to be recoded, or at least manually copied over, any time we update the forum backend. But I think it's entirely fixable, once I understand the system better. Still gotta figure out the best way to do that though.
I'm getting a page indexing bug in the thread "Post making contest 6.0."

There's currently 3200 posts in it, making an even 128 pages of posts, but there's a button at the bottom for page 129. Clicking that goes to an error page saying "Specified thread does not exist."

I'm using Chrome, Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
I can't reproduce the issue for some reason but while updating cloudsong I deselected the source button on the post preview window and it changed the BBC code to HTML code, then when I tried to unclick the source button it stopped previewing the images in the post preview. When attempting to hit the source button again it'd just add extra extraneous BBC code tags wrapped around the text effectively breaking the formatting I was doing.

Just sort of went around it by opening a new post tab.

I tried a bunch of ways to reproduce this issue like inserting images and bolding text, which was all I was doing with the original post but didn't get the same results. Just mentioning it here just in case its relevant to anyone who runs into it in the future.
There's no feedback or error message when a post fails because you didn't enter the minimum number of characters
I tried to make a post (using quick reply) and just saw signs of loading for several minutes without any indication they were going to stop. After a while, I hit "Post Reply" again and it worked.
Doesn't seem like I can put multiple paragraphs together under a spoiler right now - is this happening for anyone else?
SpoilerShow

Edit: Looks like it's working for me.
I've worked out a way to get around it. It was responding to me attempting to put lines that were centered and left-oriented under the same spoiler, I think? Either way I was having lots of trouble trying to edit my old posts, but reimporting the text let me work it out.