RE: Post making contest
I'm sorry but it's for the greater good;
raise the stakes, pick a fight
and our ratings will ignite,
baby~!
Sig:
SpoilerShow
duck Wrote:so exepct the site to be down again until I figure out how to the site running and smoothly as possible.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Bigro - Today at 4:12 AM
wide avatars got upscaled so they'd be the same height as all the others right
so whims little 5px tall 50px wide avatar
took up the entire fucking page
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I seriously lost it over this, all I could do at the time was copy + paste and laugh
(09-27-2016, 11:04 AM)Reyweld Wrote: »Bigro - Today at 4:12 AM

Hilarious
Sig:
SpoilerShow
a clusterfuck of formatting
Sig:
SpoilerShow
This is episode #3.
  • the episode doesn't start for a minute because they're too busy talking about Hitler
  • People confirmed for rushing GL: Sjin, Rythian, Ben
  • Duncan: "What's some really kind of semi-racist Native American names that I can use?" DUNCAN NO
  • ONEDOGHEPOOP
  • Lewis is building Stonehenge, so he opened Piety. Huh.
  • AND OF COURSE BECAUSE BEN AND LEWIS WERE INCAPABLE OF TALKING THEIR LAND SPLIT THROUGH THEY'RE ALREADY HAVING AN ARGUMENT ABOUT IT
  • Lewis: "How is this desert fair?" Ben: "I didn't put the desert there!"
  • can somebody please say Rythian's pantheon out loud he's panicking about it out loud I wanna know what he did
  • SJIN ADOPTED GOD OF THE SEA THANK FUCKING GOODNESS
  • also his second city is not coastal because he apparently really valued El Dorado for some reason
  • he has also forgotten to build the Great Library like I thought he was going for did he just think he desperately needed writing that early was that it
  • Duncan: "I'm changing my naming scheme" phew
  • COMBUMBO
  • Rythian got the GL, which was fairly predictable. What was not predictable was that he opened Liberty oh man
  • see wide play is arguably better in NQMod on NQMap than tall play and Rythian is arguably one of the better players (i.e. capable of pulling it off) but he's also a natural fucking turtle
  • "No, Cobumbo is behind Ikea Land and Meatball World" "I can see Bacon, who's that?" aw bless
  • Rythian, on Ben's naming scheme for Sweden: "I don't know if I should be offended; it's kind of correct, I suppose"
  • Duncan: "I'm a big fan of Stockholm Syndrome" Ben: "He didn't used to be, he used to hate it, but - it grew on him"
  • they're now trying to persuade Pyrion to spend the whole series talking in his Local Football Commentator voice
  • BEN PICK GODDESS OF PROTECTION DO IT DOOOOOO IIIIIIT
  • Rythian: "I was going to get the (pantheon) for camps, but I couldn't find it" IT'S ALWAYS BEEN GODDESS OF THE HUNT THE NAME HASN'T CHANGED JUST THE BONUS IT'S PLUS ONE FOOD AND FAITH NOW IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT
  • Rythian: "and so I got like the 'build ancient wonders faster' one" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Sjin lost his scout to barbarians and is now retreating his fatally wounded archer... towards the barbarians. Sjin no.
  • Rythian: "I beat Sjin and Sjin beat (Lewis), so through transitive properties I'm the best... except I've lost to I think everyone here, soooooo"
  • oh yeah Sjin is going to have fun with the AI pathfinding this game because of Carthage's ability to move over mountains he's just lost a warrior due to the game thinking the shortest path was the one that suicides the unit
  • strictly speaking I guess that is the shortest path insofar as it's the one that kills the unit quickest
  • everyone's complaining about how small the map is and yet I can't help but think it's pretty big
  • I think the problem is that people just don't know how to explore
  • we've just had a solid minute of Rythian mousing over his list of researchable techs whilst Pyrion waxes lyrical about Sharpe
  • also Rythian's one city liberty is going fine I'm sure
  • (please let him be building his NC please let him be building his NC he took Philosophy as his free tech)
  • NO HE'S BUILDING A SETTLER FUCKING HELL
  • Rythian: "Have you ever been a kid, Pyrion?" Pyrion: "Nope, I was just born a very angry boy"
  • THEY SWITCHED THE CAMERA VIEW BEFORE YOU SAW WHAT LEWIS PICKED FOR HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS DAMN THEM
  • WHY IS DUNCAN SURPRISED THAT THE GUY WHO BUILT STONEHENGE GOT AN EARLY RELIGION
tl;dr - everyone forgets that there is no such thing as a religious victory

End of message.
(09-27-2016, 01:42 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »strictly speaking I guess that is the shortest path insofar as it's the one that kills the unit quickest
Isn't the point of Civ just to kill all your units as quick as possible? From what I've read about your Civ updates, that seems like it's the case.
🐦🐙🐙[Image: nifOFwR.png]🐙🐙
(09-27-2016, 05:14 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »
(09-27-2016, 01:42 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »strictly speaking I guess that is the shortest path insofar as it's the one that kills the unit quickest
Isn't the point of Civ just to kill all your units as quick as possible? From what I've read about your Civ updates, that seems like it's the case.

The lesser known Submission Victory is a hard one to achieve in a game like this because it requires another player to actually be dominant.

(disclaimer: that was a joke there is no victory for literally giving up )

This is episode #4.
  • fifty seconds in, Lewis remembers what his unique building is
  • Ben: "I thought you were saying that your unique buildings were mud, pyramids and mosques."
  • wait is Lewis going to get to settle Kailash what the fuck Rythian you were meant to be on that shit
  • Duncan you cannot influence cultural border expansion by willpower alone
  • (you can scarcely influence it normally because it always opts for the cheapest tiles - consequently, the only thing you can do is chop forest/jungle on tiles that you want your borders to expand to so as to lower their cost)
  • Aarhus should really have been on the river you know
  • OH PYRION YOU JAMMY SOD FORWARD SETTLING RYTHIAN LIKE THAT AND THEN BUYING THE TILES
  • Lewis: "The Fairly Average Library"
  • Duncan is ecstatic about building the Hanging Gardens before Rythian, despite the fact that Rythian, having gone Liberty, cannot build it.
  • also Duncan why settle Villainous so close to your cap don't be scared of the desert it's all lovely floodplains on your nearest edge
  • Lewis has three cities sure but also one worker and zero happiness. That's a suboptimal foundation upon which to build an empire...
  • wait Sjin was sending Duncan a trade route already?
  • turn 48: Duncan finally realises his direct Petra beeline was a bit unwise
  • eight minutes in Lewis discovers his unique ability
  • guys the Songhai are not frogs
  • NOBODY BUILDS ENOUGH ARCHERS TO DEAL WITH THE BARBS
  • Ben: "Barbs seem a bit more aggressive than usual" Duncan: "no we always say that" COMPLETELY TRUE
  • Sjin: "Duncan, your coastal city's so far away, how am I able to trade with that?" YOUR FREE HARBOUR REMEMBER
  • Lewis: "Denmark and Songhai have taken the first step towards a great and fruitful (full of fruit) relationship." Rythian: *immediately asks Lewis for money*
  • EVERYBODY'S REMEMBERED THAT THEY CAN MAKE DEALS WITH EACH OTHER
  • Rythian built the Pyramids is this the point at which everyone realises he's taken Liberty 'cause between them I reckon they can just about scrape together the fact that it is the Liberty-only wonder right?
  • (answer: nope)
  • Sjin is bluffing on his inability to spell avocado
  • Ben: "Oh man, Dido's just given me crabs. Totally worth it though." URGH PLEASE
  • nobody knows how to settle blocker cities they're just leaving these huge tracts of land between each other that they're too scared to settle
  • well except for Pyrion but still
  • Duncan, dejectedly: "I got the Petra, but it's not hugely useful because most of my things are floodplains" THEN WHY DID YOU SHIFT-CLICK CURRENCY AT THE START OF THE GAME "I didn't realise that at the time" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH "I beelined for that from the very start" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Sjin that settler has been sat in your capital for a few turns have you forgotten about it
  • Ben finally becomes the first person to realise that you can actually settle in deserts and not regret it
  • Lewis, counting: "four, five, twelve, elevety" THAT'S NUMBERWANG
  • Duncan: "Some of (the natural wonders) count as a mountain, I don't think El Dorado does though" Lewis: "Your mum counts as a mountain"
  • (Duncan is correct)
  • Sjin: "I think I'm having a good game, but I can't quite tell" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Pyrion's basically getting his pick of Sjin's land right now
  • aw bless look Lewis is farming a barb camp

tl;dr - wonders should not be valued over cities

End of message
Strictly speaking, you can judge posts as frequently or infrequently as you want. There just might be more posts.

Although with that said, the post backlog isn't THAT bad. There's like 20 or so posts.

(I don't know what your rules could be, hopefully 20 posts (albeit somewhat long on average) should not be a problem.)
Sruix:
Episode five, 10:20
Be prepared
Man I'd really like to do an ET civ game at some point but,
  • Coordination would be a nightmare, between civ's bad multiplayer, our very different timezones, the length of an average game, and my unpredictable schedule
  • Sruix would kick our asses
  • I don't want to use my real name, but "A fif-ty two" is really cumbersome to say out loud.
1) could conceivably be worked around
2) definitely
3) I don't think name shout-outs are required. But maybe you'd prefer "A" or something? Or we could call each other by our civs.
This is episode #5.

*angry mumblings and stomach grumblings* WHY DO I EVEN HAVE A BODY
  • It is turn 60 everyone is astonished that Pyrion has four cities
  • Duncan: "I'm not sure where to put my fourth... I'm thinking there but there's a lot of desert" FLOODPLAINS. DESERT FLOODPLAINS. THAT'S THE GOOD SHIT RIGHT THERE
  • (okay in actuality the way he plopped his third city too close to his cap means there's no great way of putting another in the northern desert that doesn't really infringe on Ben - it would have been better, as aforementioned, to have settled Villainous further east and then put a fourth one down on the otherwise unsettled peninsula above Didyouknowher)
  • like at least they're bothering to talk their borders out but in general none of them are really good at looking at the map
  • Looking at... Horse Balls, for instance, Ben would have been much better off two cities on that river, one for the copper and salt at the bottom and another a bit east of Horse Balls, maybe even coastal for the dyes? You gotta figure out how you're gonna fill your space guys...
  • Honor Piety for Lewis? Huh. That's a fun combination.
  • At least Lewis is capable of settling on a luxury.
  • Ben: "I went for the pantheon that gives you food and culture from plantations..." Pyrion: "wait, I went for the pantheon that gives you plantations" THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PLANTATION PANTHEON
  • Duncan is as confused at the settling of Macadamia as I am.
  • Pyrion is constantly about ten turns of conversation about everyone else because of his devotion to "banter".
  • WAIT DUNCAN HAS DESERT FOLKLORE AND HASN'T GOT A RELIGION YET WHAT
  • a twenty-one turn library out of Horse Balls huh
  • Sjin: "What the fuck why am I so low (on the scoreboard?)" UHHHHHH
  • Pyrion: "How many cities do you have?" Sjin: "Three." Pyrion: "Have you founded a religion?" Sjin: "No." Pyrion: "Have you built any wonders?" Sjin: "No."
  • Lewis: "So I get triple gold from killing barb camps, so if you shoot it, Ben, and let me clear it, I'll give you half." Ben: "Okay" *shoots camp* Lewis: "Right, I'm at 319... and now I'm at 377, so, what? You can check my gold. That didn't give me anywhere near triple, so apparently that doesn't work. I'm just going to give you 50 gold anyway, because that felt shit."
  • OKIE DOKIE IT'S TIME FOR SOME BASIC ARITHMETIC
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp on standard speed: 25 gold
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp as the Songhai on standard speed: 25 x 3 = 75 gold
  • Quick speed is 2/3rds of standard speed, so all values are scaled accordingly
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp as the Songhai on quick speed: 75 * 2/3 = 50 gold
  • Amount of gold you get for killing a unit with the NQMod Honour policy that gives you gold from kills: the strength of the unit killed up to a cap of 30
  • Strength of a barbarian brute: 8
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp containing a brute as the Songhai on quick speed: 50 + 8 = 58 gold
  • 377 - 319 = 58
  • AREN'T YOU GLAD I WROTE ALL THAT OUT AT LENGTH, HUH?
  • see Ben has been "forced" to settle the tundra hill just up the coast from Lewis WITH PROPER FORWARD PLANNING YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS
  • okay we've just crossed the ten minute mark I am going to brace myself
  • (brace brace it's the new regime)
  • *aww*
  • (I actually really like "whose-ranium" jokes just fyi)
  • Lewis: "I did actually lose money of that camp you know. I got 45 gold from it and I gave you 50" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Rythian: "What's the best tile to place an academy on?" WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THI- wait no of course we haven't I have interacted with you a grand total of once and that was about tile assignment AI not academy placement
  • (the answer is still "flat grassland in single player and camps/pasture resources in multiplayer")
  • BUT NOT ON A RESOURELESS HILL NOPE NOPE NOPE
  • why is Pyrion building the Colossus in a 3 pop city
  • he got beaten to it by Sjin the very next turn go figure
  • RIGHT OKAY I FINALLY GET TO SEE THE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS PEOPLE CHOSE
  • Lewis went for Pagodas and improved temples which are both great but he chose Ceremonial Burial as his follower belief? +1 happiness for every two cities following his religion is fine and meshes well with the initial suggestions he made of spreading his religion everywhere, but now he's saying he doesn't want to spread to Ben? Why?
  • Pyrion took Interfaith Dialogue and Cathedrals as opposed to Tithe and Mosques. Why.
  • HOW HAS DUNCAN STILL NOT GOT A RELIGION WITH DESERT FOLKLORE IN A DESERT AT TURN 73
  • Lewis: "I've got 21 happiness all of a sudden, how did that happen?" Rythian: "A golden age?" THAT IS NOT HOW THAT MECHANIC WORKS
  • Lewis: "Maybe it was because I got allied with this city state?" YES
  • oh my goodness Rythian is actually using his unique Longship to circumnavigate the pangea someone hold me
  • (if he could maybe settle more than four cities as Liberty)
  • sheesh how many tiles did Sjin buy for Macadamia
  • also now is about thirty turns too late for you to be building your lighthouse given the whole GOD OF THE SEA thing just saying
  • FINALLY DUNCAN GOT A RELIGION AND TOOK TITHE AND MOSQUES I AM NOW SATISFIED
  • (kind of)
  • Sjin has discovered the barbarians on the end of the unsettled peninsula and seems incredibly surprised by their presence, despite the fact he knows he had his cargo ship to Duncan plundered there...
  • Sjin: "I think I found Tortuga!" PFFTHAHAHAHA
tl;dr - half of these people need schooling in geometry, the other in arithmetic

End of message.
I also am still up for an ET civ game at some point; my offer of a 2v1 has long been outstanding. Once I'm back in Oxford on Monday I can afford to fuck my sleep schedule about to make this or any other game idea happen.

(also a52 is like four syllables my mouth can live with that)
this is a good point, was going to mention how 4 syllables doesn't seem like that much to say
(09-29-2016, 11:47 AM)Sruixan Wrote: »Once I'm back in Oxford on Monday I can afford to fuck my sleep schedule

HappymelonHappymelonHappymelonHappymelonHappymelon
This is episode #6.

Sjin: "Wait, are elephants actually real?"
Rythian: "He's raring his trout!"

I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED

End of message.
(09-22-2016, 04:24 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »It took me a while to realize I was getting the go-to-page-1 error and I was going "wait, Wheat's doing a round, did we solve cyber's rules?"
Sig:
SpoilerShow
(10-01-2016, 09:13 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »This is episode #6.

I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED

End of message.

Now if only rules could be defeated
Apologies x100.

(09-20-2016, 08:33 PM)Robust Laser Wrote: »Rule #1 is Welcome to Tally Hall, b t w

Passes 2 and 4.

(09-20-2016, 08:35 PM)qwerx3 Wrote: »| = 1.

Passes 2 probably.

(09-20-2016, 08:39 PM)Akumu Wrote: »Welcome to the Space Consortium

Passes 2.

(09-20-2016, 08:47 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Passes 2.

(09-20-2016, 09:41 PM)a52 Wrote: »i ii iii iiii HH

Passes 2

(09-20-2016, 09:55 PM)Reyweld Wrote: »
(09-20-2016, 08:39 PM)Akumu Wrote: »Welcome to the Space Consortium

fixed

Passes no rules.

(09-22-2016, 04:01 PM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »I love shovels and I'd like to meet a collection of people who also care deeply about digging implements can anyone recommend a group that could satisfy this desire please?
Passes 2 and 3

(09-22-2016, 04:24 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »It took me a while to realize I was getting the go-to-page-1 error and I was going "wait, Wheat's doing a round, did we solve cyber's rules?"
Passes 2, 3, and 5

(09-22-2016, 10:55 PM)qwerx3 Wrote: »TWELVE, ELEVEN, TEEEEN, NINETY, EEYGHT
Passes 2.

(09-24-2016, 08:45 PM)a52 Wrote: »
(09-22-2016, 04:01 PM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »I love shovels and I'd like to meet a collection of people who also care deeply about digging implements can anyone recommend a group that could satisfy this desire please?

https://north-alabama-excavation-society.tumblr.com/
Passes rule 3. EDIT: AND RULE 5.

(09-24-2016, 10:10 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »This is episode #1.

I'm tired. I have a headache. I had to interact with people today. But there's a new series of Yogscast civ. So here we go; an extra-grumpy commentary edition. You have been warned.
  • oh bless it's patently obvious they've scraped the bottom of the civ battle and have pulled out the ones they've never played
  • RYTHIAN IS DENMARK
  • DO YOU REALISE HOW HAPPY THAT MAKES ME
  • Sjin: "make Ben be Brazil!" uhh
  • Ben: "what about Portugal, what do they do?" Sjin: "they win!" uhhhhhh
  • Sjin: "Be Venice!" Ben: "you literally can't be Venice!" THIS IS TRUE THEY ARE NOT PRESENT IN THE NQMOD
  • Lewis, playing Songhai: "I don't even know who the Songhai are!"
  • Lewis, google. Google, Lewis.
  • HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE ARE LEARNING THAT TIMBUKTU IS A REAL PLACE FOR THE FIRST TIME
  • Lewis: "I always get (Timbuktu) confused with Tipperary" *eye-twitch*
  • Sjin: "should you move to a hill when that takes you off a river?" Ben: "you should move to a hill that's on a river" um
  • Sjin, playing Carthage, hearing Ben's "advice", hovers over the NONCOASTAL river hill SJIIIIIIN
  • see the thing is they've all learnt the idea that settling on a hill is good but none of them know why
  • how to defeat Ben, the second-most feared player: point out his lisp
  • oh Rythian your flatland pearl start you poor thing
  • RYTHIAN'S GAME IMMEDIATELY CRASHED
  • IT SAW HOW SHIT THAT START WAS AND PROMPTY STALLED
  • THEY FORGOT TO ENABLE TURN TIMERS
  • right forget all of the above it was terrible
  • Lewis: "I had a great start! I had citrus and silver and stone..." Sjin: "Yeah, I had unicorns!"
  • um guys these are not jokes you are making
  • BEN YOUR START THAT IS SO BAD FLAT DESERT INCENSE AND FLAT RESOURCELESS TUNDRA AND IF YOU MOVE OFF COAST YOU LOSE YOUR SINGLE WHALE QUICK CRASH YOUR GAME
  • okay Lewis your settler is not supposed to be able to start on an oasis
  • RYTHIAN'S GAME CRASHED AGAIN
  • *insert the passage of time here again*
  • Lewis: "I had that niche bug where civ crashes when you hit "Load Game"" the sarcasm is dripping like a Dickensian candle
  • Turn 2: the game has been loaded in seven distinct sessions
  • ...did Lewis run his settler away from all his bonus resources just to get a river hill?
  • Sjin, the wonderwhore: "Wonders aren't worth going for"
  • RYTHIAN'S CITY IS STARVING AT POP ONE WHAT THE ABSOLUTE SHITTING FUCK
  • JESUS CIV
  • COPENHAGEN HAS -2 BASE FOOD
  • HE JUST GOT A POP RUIN
  • all this reloading killed the game
  • Sjin: "I think every game's different, you just have to adapt"
  • make that eight distinct sessions
  • GAME THREE BEGINS
  • Duncan, the Iroquois with a forest bias, has no forest in sight this time
  • I'm so confused
  • SJIN DON'T SETTLE ON DEER
  • NOBODY IS CAPABLE OF CONVEYING INFORMATION WITH EACH OTHER I CANNOT EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU GUYS
  • Sjin: "Reddit's having an orgasm over this conversation"
  • BASICALLY PYRION SAID "UM 1+1=1?" AND LEWIS REPLIED, IN A MINUTE-LONG ESSAY, "NO YOU DUMB-DUMB 1+1=3"
  • Duncan: "Rythian, you've got to build some soldiers this time!" Rythian: "I don't know how to do that!" Pyrion: "I couldn't have asked for a better neighbour!"
  • RYTHIAN IS SALTY THAT BEN CHOSE SWEDEN SO HE WAS FORCED TO PLAY DENMARK INSTEAD MY SIDES
  • and Ben and Lewis are really close together hmmmmmm
  • SEVEN TURNS IN EVERYTHING'S STILL WORKING
  • this time Pyrion "Vapemeister" Flax has the flat desert incense
  • I haven't understood any of the past minute and that's not just because of the dreadful accents
  • Lewis: "What've you been doing Sjin?" Sjin: "I've just been building scouts! I don't know where Rythian is yet, but I'm gonna find him soon!"
  • RYTHIAN SPEAKING IN A DALEK VOICE SAYING "MISLEADING TOOLTIP"

tl;dr - I needed this

End of message.
Passes 3, and I knew it wouldn't pass rule 2 just from the context. (I still went through to make sure.)

(09-24-2016, 11:04 PM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »sorry sruix
Passes 2.

(09-25-2016, 10:35 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »This is scenario #4.

I had set aside today to work on scraph, and then that plan got scuppered by me being unwell. I could have told you this might happen yesterday, but I hate acknowledging being ill and so spent most of it pretending that everything was fine. That was a mistake; I do not like being ill, especially when it means I have to be in dashing distance of the loo at all times, and I have not necessarily made it easy on myself, but ho hum. I did at least get to spend my time today completing Diamond Heights:

[Image: SCR6.png]

[Image: SCR8.png]

Diamond Heights: this is the scenario that, if you have any familiarity with these games whatsoever, you will know of - it's the one that starts the title sequence, with its steel duellers Agoraphobia and Claustrophobia in black and white and their companions Arachnophobia and, um, Doppelganger. The nostalgia is tangible. It's also a horrible scenario to take seriously - the general park layout is atrocious, you have to close a minimum (I think) of three pathing loops to stop the guest pathfinding AI from short-circuiting, your expansion room is placed badly and densely forested, you have to research the existence of drinks, and one of the duellers was always guaranteed to crash unless you tore their back ends up and broke their timing. Except in my playthrough they didn't. I blame OpenRCT2.

The objective is to achieve a park value of £20,000 by the end of the third year, which basically means build £20,000 worth of stuff after depreciation. Actually the goal was £200,000 because RCT2 multiplies the park value by ten for reasons. You really do just need to keep building in order to beat the scenario - I hit the goal for the first time as year two kicked in and ended at ~£350k. As always, it was a case of devoting the last three months to shrubbery, hence the seemingly rather final paltry bank balance. A fair bit of the effect gets lost when you zoom out, sadly, but this is definitely a park where you need to; it's pretty huge! Especially with me having expanded to the left, with the woodie Hylophobia and the inverted coaster Aviophobia. And, um, the obligatory shuttle loop, Trypophobia. Hylophobia's definitely the best of my lot - its excitement was pushing 8 after scenery...

End of message.

I.... think this passes rule 2. I can't find anything that clearly breaks it. It also passes rule 3.

(09-26-2016, 11:28 AM)Sruixan Wrote: »This is episode #2.
  • I'm assuming the only reason Ben's being so loose-lipped about King Solomon's Mines is that he knows full well that city state will end up with it...
  • (actually it might be rushable depending on how fast Stockholm can pump a settler out... I doubt it though)
  • they are going to spend the entire series pronouncing son-gah-ee wrong aren't they
  • I love how people still aren't able to tell when a unit has used up all its moves for a turn and then they try to send it somewhere and get quietly confused as to why their action wasn't registered. It's the best.
  • Sjin: "City spot number two get!" cue me squinting at Sjin's view trying to figure out what the heck he's talking about
  • ...he doesn't realise that the hex his archer's on is not a legitimate spot to settle on since he hasn't met the city state that's too close. Ah.
  • Duncan: "Is Carthage a good coastal civ then?" Sjin: "Yeah! We're all about elephants!" um
  • Sjin has just learnt that Carthage get free harbours in their coastal cities.
  • HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY CARVE UP A PIECE OF LAND: DO NOT USE ANY GEOGRAPHICAL SLASH DIRECTIONAL DESCRIPTORS WHATSOEVER SO THAT BOTH PARTIES THINK THEY'VE GOT THE SAME PATCH OF TURF
  • Ben please Lewis can't see your cursor stop circling the bit you want
  • Duncan: "I think my civilisation's music is just a guy shaking a rattlesnake" Lewis: "...you mean a rattle?" Duncan: "No, it's got a lot of hissing as well!"
  • Since Duncan just got Pottery from a ruin and is researching The Wheel, I'm thinking he is greeding Petra big time. Eh. It'll help
  • Sjin: "Fucking Genoa, every game." Duncan: "No, I don't"
  • Ben: "What is Genoa anyway? Is it a real place?" Sjin: "Ah, see, it's the old name of Geneva..."
  • And Sjin got Writing as his third tech... but is building a settler instead of... you know what...
  • The first footballing rivalry that springs to Lewis's mind is Norwich versus Ipswich.
  • THIS IS THE TWENTY-SOMETHINGTH SERIES WHY ARE THEY STILL CONFUSED WHEN THEY APPARENTLY DON'T GET ANYTHING FROM A RUIN
  • BEN THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "DUD-HUT" YOU GOT CULTURE
  • I have not heard of the thing Pyrion is describing as being new to America is it a thing for version 11?
  • Lewis: "But you don't start the game with a settler?"
  • Sjin: "You know, I wish you guys weren't in this game. I wish it were just me." Ben: "...if only there were an option for that..."
  • yeah Pyrion's googled it it's a v11 thing jolly good
  • I have not been paying attention to people's policy trees what are they and why are they all tradition
  • Ben: "Why do you hate telling the truth so much Lewis?" well see you are playing a game where it is not always advantageous to tell the truth
  • Rythian pretending he might want to attack Lewis is so precious
  • Rythian, suddenly: "YONKS!" Lewis: "...what happened?" Rythian, quietly: "Nothing. Um. I don't know."
  • Sjin is trying to steal Duncan's escorted settler whilst he hasn't got an escort for his own and thus can't move it out of his capital due to the oncoming barbarians. Hah.
  • Duncan's plan for getting Petra means that he does not have the techs to improve his luxuries and thus he's just gone unhappy from settling his second city. He does realise he has no real competition for Petra, right? He can afford to research Mining!
  • Rythian: "At the risk of sounding like a noob, I have to ask" (okay fair enough) "if I chop the forest on a luxury resource down, does the luxury go away?"
  • Pyrion: "Yes" Sjin: "Yes" Lewis: "Depends what luxury"
  • NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
  • The resource itself will never disappear - chopping the forest will simply revert the tile back to whatever terrain is underneath. So if you chop a plains forest, your yields do not change, whereas chopping a grassland forest loses you a hammer but gains you a food. In the case of Rythian's truffle camp, it's a plains forest, so by chopping he loses nothing in terms of the yield but actually gains the one-off production boost from the chop!
  • (and if you're thinking "well why would you not just always chop plains forests on luxuries?" consider (a) defensive bonuses slash sight obstructions for invaders (b) in the mod you can get things like the pantheon for plus one faith from forests)
  • Lewis almost figured this out, eventually. Almost.

tl;dr - none of these people know how to play this game and that's okay

End of message.
Passes 3.

(09-27-2016, 08:13 AM)qwerx3 Wrote: »Man, PMC is such a ghost town now.
Passes rule 2, and I'm sorry :(

(09-27-2016, 10:58 AM)Reyweld Wrote: »I'm sorry but it's for the greater good;
raise the stakes, pick a fight
and our ratings will ignite,
baby~!
Passes 3.

(09-27-2016, 11:04 AM)Reyweld Wrote: »
duck Wrote:so exepct the site to be down again until I figure out how to the site running and smoothly as possible.
I'm gonna call this as failing rule 2 in one way or another. Passes rule 3.

Passes 3.

(09-27-2016, 11:11 AM)Reyweld Wrote: »

Hilarious
Still passes 3.

(09-27-2016, 11:14 AM)Reyweld Wrote: »
a clusterfuck of formatting
Passes no rules.

(09-27-2016, 01:42 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »This is episode #3.
  • the episode doesn't start for a minute because they're too busy talking about Hitler
  • People confirmed for rushing GL: Sjin, Rythian, Ben
  • Duncan: "What's some really kind of semi-racist Native American names that I can use?" DUNCAN NO
  • ONEDOGHEPOOP
  • Lewis is building Stonehenge, so he opened Piety. Huh.
  • AND OF COURSE BECAUSE BEN AND LEWIS WERE INCAPABLE OF TALKING THEIR LAND SPLIT THROUGH THEY'RE ALREADY HAVING AN ARGUMENT ABOUT IT
  • Lewis: "How is this desert fair?" Ben: "I didn't put the desert there!"
  • can somebody please say Rythian's pantheon out loud he's panicking about it out loud I wanna know what he did
  • SJIN ADOPTED GOD OF THE SEA THANK FUCKING GOODNESS
  • also his second city is not coastal because he apparently really valued El Dorado for some reason
  • he has also forgotten to build the Great Library like I thought he was going for did he just think he desperately needed writing that early was that it
  • Duncan: "I'm changing my naming scheme" phew
  • COMBUMBO
  • Rythian got the GL, which was fairly predictable. What was not predictable was that he opened Liberty oh man
  • see wide play is arguably better in NQMod on NQMap than tall play and Rythian is arguably one of the better players (i.e. capable of pulling it off) but he's also a natural fucking turtle
  • "No, Cobumbo is behind Ikea Land and Meatball World" "I can see Bacon, who's that?" aw bless
  • Rythian, on Ben's naming scheme for Sweden: "I don't know if I should be offended; it's kind of correct, I suppose"
  • Duncan: "I'm a big fan of Stockholm Syndrome" Ben: "He didn't used to be, he used to hate it, but - it grew on him"
  • they're now trying to persuade Pyrion to spend the whole series talking in his Local Football Commentator voice
  • BEN PICK GODDESS OF PROTECTION DO IT DOOOOOO IIIIIIT
  • Rythian: "I was going to get the (pantheon) for camps, but I couldn't find it" IT'S ALWAYS BEEN GODDESS OF THE HUNT THE NAME HASN'T CHANGED JUST THE BONUS IT'S PLUS ONE FOOD AND FAITH NOW IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT
  • Rythian: "and so I got like the 'build ancient wonders faster' one" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Sjin lost his scout to barbarians and is now retreating his fatally wounded archer... towards the barbarians. Sjin no.
  • Rythian: "I beat Sjin and Sjin beat (Lewis), so through transitive properties I'm the best... except I've lost to I think everyone here, soooooo"
  • oh yeah Sjin is going to have fun with the AI pathfinding this game because of Carthage's ability to move over mountains he's just lost a warrior due to the game thinking the shortest path was the one that suicides the unit
  • strictly speaking I guess that is the shortest path insofar as it's the one that kills the unit quickest
  • everyone's complaining about how small the map is and yet I can't help but think it's pretty big
  • I think the problem is that people just don't know how to explore
  • we've just had a solid minute of Rythian mousing over his list of researchable techs whilst Pyrion waxes lyrical about Sharpe
  • also Rythian's one city liberty is going fine I'm sure
  • (please let him be building his NC please let him be building his NC he took Philosophy as his free tech)
  • NO HE'S BUILDING A SETTLER FUCKING HELL
  • Rythian: "Have you ever been a kid, Pyrion?" Pyrion: "Nope, I was just born a very angry boy"
  • THEY SWITCHED THE CAMERA VIEW BEFORE YOU SAW WHAT LEWIS PICKED FOR HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS DAMN THEM
  • WHY IS DUNCAN SURPRISED THAT THE GUY WHO BUILT STONEHENGE GOT AN EARLY RELIGION
tl;dr - everyone forgets that there is no such thing as a religious victory

End of message.
Passes rule 3. I didn't even look. If a post this big doesn't pass rule three I'll be impressed.
....i checked out of paranoia, and i was right.

Passes 3 although I nearly gave it 2 before thinking about it.

(09-28-2016, 10:41 AM)Sruixan Wrote: »

The lesser known Submission Victory is a hard one to achieve in a game like this because it requires another player to actually be dominant.

(disclaimer: that was a joke there is no victory for literally giving up )

This is episode #4.
  • fifty seconds in, Lewis remembers what his unique building is
  • Ben: "I thought you were saying that your unique buildings were mud, pyramids and mosques."
  • wait is Lewis going to get to settle Kailash what the fuck Rythian you were meant to be on that shit
  • Duncan you cannot influence cultural border expansion by willpower alone
  • (you can scarcely influence it normally because it always opts for the cheapest tiles - consequently, the only thing you can do is chop forest/jungle on tiles that you want your borders to expand to so as to lower their cost)
  • Aarhus should really have been on the river you know
  • OH PYRION YOU JAMMY SOD FORWARD SETTLING RYTHIAN LIKE THAT AND THEN BUYING THE TILES
  • Lewis: "The Fairly Average Library"
  • Duncan is ecstatic about building the Hanging Gardens before Rythian, despite the fact that Rythian, having gone Liberty, cannot build it.
  • also Duncan why settle Villainous so close to your cap don't be scared of the desert it's all lovely floodplains on your nearest edge
  • Lewis has three cities sure but also one worker and zero happiness. That's a suboptimal foundation upon which to build an empire...
  • wait Sjin was sending Duncan a trade route already?
  • turn 48: Duncan finally realises his direct Petra beeline was a bit unwise
  • eight minutes in Lewis discovers his unique ability
  • guys the Songhai are not frogs
  • NOBODY BUILDS ENOUGH ARCHERS TO DEAL WITH THE BARBS
  • Ben: "Barbs seem a bit more aggressive than usual" Duncan: "no we always say that" COMPLETELY TRUE
  • Sjin: "Duncan, your coastal city's so far away, how am I able to trade with that?" YOUR FREE HARBOUR REMEMBER
  • Lewis: "Denmark and Songhai have taken the first step towards a great and fruitful (full of fruit) relationship." Rythian: *immediately asks Lewis for money*
  • EVERYBODY'S REMEMBERED THAT THEY CAN MAKE DEALS WITH EACH OTHER
  • Rythian built the Pyramids is this the point at which everyone realises he's taken Liberty 'cause between them I reckon they can just about scrape together the fact that it is the Liberty-only wonder right?
  • (answer: nope)
  • Sjin is bluffing on his inability to spell avocado
  • Ben: "Oh man, Dido's just given me crabs. Totally worth it though." URGH PLEASE
  • nobody knows how to settle blocker cities they're just leaving these huge tracts of land between each other that they're too scared to settle
  • well except for Pyrion but still
  • Duncan, dejectedly: "I got the Petra, but it's not hugely useful because most of my things are floodplains" THEN WHY DID YOU SHIFT-CLICK CURRENCY AT THE START OF THE GAME "I didn't realise that at the time" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH "I beelined for that from the very start" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Sjin that settler has been sat in your capital for a few turns have you forgotten about it
  • Ben finally becomes the first person to realise that you can actually settle in deserts and not regret it
  • Lewis, counting: "four, five, twelve, elevety" THAT'S NUMBERWANG
  • Duncan: "Some of (the natural wonders) count as a mountain, I don't think El Dorado does though" Lewis: "Your mum counts as a mountain"
  • (Duncan is correct)
  • Sjin: "I think I'm having a good game, but I can't quite tell" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Pyrion's basically getting his pick of Sjin's land right now
  • aw bless look Lewis is farming a barb camp

tl;dr - wonders should not be valued over cities

End of message

Passes rule 3.

(09-28-2016, 12:11 PM)qwerx3 Wrote: »Strictly speaking, you can judge posts as frequently or infrequently as you want. There just might be more posts.

Although with that said, the post backlog isn't THAT bad. There's like 20 or so posts.

(I don't know what your rules could be, hopefully 20 posts (albeit somewhat long on average) should not be a problem.)
Passes rule 2, as much as I don't really want to admit it. Also passes rule 3.

(09-29-2016, 05:53 AM)a52 Wrote: »Sruix:
Episode five, 10:20
Be prepared
Passes 2.

(09-29-2016, 06:04 AM)a52 Wrote: »Man I'd really like to do an ET civ game at some point but,
  • Coordination would be a nightmare, between civ's bad multiplayer, our very different timezones, the length of an average game, and my unpredictable schedule
  • Sruix would kick our asses
  • I don't want to use my real name, but "A fif-ty two" is really cumbersome to say out loud.
Passes 2 and 3.

(09-29-2016, 06:42 AM)qwerx3 Wrote: »1) could conceivably be worked around
2) definitely
3) I don't think name shout-outs are required. But maybe you'd prefer "A" or something? Or we could call each other by our civs.
Passes 2 and 3.

(09-29-2016, 11:43 AM)Sruixan Wrote: »This is episode #5.

*angry mumblings and stomach grumblings* WHY DO I EVEN HAVE A BODY
  • It is turn 60 everyone is astonished that Pyrion has four cities
  • Duncan: "I'm not sure where to put my fourth... I'm thinking there but there's a lot of desert" FLOODPLAINS. DESERT FLOODPLAINS. THAT'S THE GOOD SHIT RIGHT THERE
  • (okay in actuality the way he plopped his third city too close to his cap means there's no great way of putting another in the northern desert that doesn't really infringe on Ben - it would have been better, as aforementioned, to have settled Villainous further east and then put a fourth one down on the otherwise unsettled peninsula above Didyouknowher)
  • like at least they're bothering to talk their borders out but in general none of them are really good at looking at the map
  • Looking at... Horse Balls, for instance, Ben would have been much better off two cities on that river, one for the copper and salt at the bottom and another a bit east of Horse Balls, maybe even coastal for the dyes? You gotta figure out how you're gonna fill your space guys...
  • Honor Piety for Lewis? Huh. That's a fun combination.
  • At least Lewis is capable of settling on a luxury.
  • Ben: "I went for the pantheon that gives you food and culture from plantations..." Pyrion: "wait, I went for the pantheon that gives you plantations" THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PLANTATION PANTHEON
  • Duncan is as confused at the settling of Macadamia as I am.
  • Pyrion is constantly about ten turns of conversation about everyone else because of his devotion to "banter".
  • WAIT DUNCAN HAS DESERT FOLKLORE AND HASN'T GOT A RELIGION YET WHAT
  • a twenty-one turn library out of Horse Balls huh
  • Sjin: "What the fuck why am I so low (on the scoreboard?)" UHHHHHH
  • Pyrion: "How many cities do you have?" Sjin: "Three." Pyrion: "Have you founded a religion?" Sjin: "No." Pyrion: "Have you built any wonders?" Sjin: "No."
  • Lewis: "So I get triple gold from killing barb camps, so if you shoot it, Ben, and let me clear it, I'll give you half." Ben: "Okay" *shoots camp* Lewis: "Right, I'm at 319... and now I'm at 377, so, what? You can check my gold. That didn't give me anywhere near triple, so apparently that doesn't work. I'm just going to give you 50 gold anyway, because that felt shit."
  • OKIE DOKIE IT'S TIME FOR SOME BASIC ARITHMETIC
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp on standard speed: 25 gold
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp as the Songhai on standard speed: 25 x 3 = 75 gold
  • Quick speed is 2/3rds of standard speed, so all values are scaled accordingly
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp as the Songhai on quick speed: 75 * 2/3 = 50 gold
  • Amount of gold you get for killing a unit with the NQMod Honour policy that gives you gold from kills: the strength of the unit killed up to a cap of 30
  • Strength of a barbarian brute: 8
  • Amount of gold you get for clearing a barbarian camp containing a brute as the Songhai on quick speed: 50 + 8 = 58 gold
  • 377 - 319 = 58
  • AREN'T YOU GLAD I WROTE ALL THAT OUT AT LENGTH, HUH?
  • see Ben has been "forced" to settle the tundra hill just up the coast from Lewis WITH PROPER FORWARD PLANNING YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS
  • okay we've just crossed the ten minute mark I am going to brace myself
  • (brace brace it's the new regime)
  • *aww*
  • (I actually really like "whose-ranium" jokes just fyi)
  • Lewis: "I did actually lose money of that camp you know. I got 45 gold from it and I gave you 50" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
  • Rythian: "What's the best tile to place an academy on?" WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THI- wait no of course we haven't I have interacted with you a grand total of once and that was about tile assignment AI not academy placement
  • (the answer is still "flat grassland in single player and camps/pasture resources in multiplayer")
  • BUT NOT ON A RESOURELESS HILL NOPE NOPE NOPE
  • why is Pyrion building the Colossus in a 3 pop city
  • he got beaten to it by Sjin the very next turn go figure
  • RIGHT OKAY I FINALLY GET TO SEE THE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS PEOPLE CHOSE
  • Lewis went for Pagodas and improved temples which are both great but he chose Ceremonial Burial as his follower belief? +1 happiness for every two cities following his religion is fine and meshes well with the initial suggestions he made of spreading his religion everywhere, but now he's saying he doesn't want to spread to Ben? Why?
  • Pyrion took Interfaith Dialogue and Cathedrals as opposed to Tithe and Mosques. Why.
  • HOW HAS DUNCAN STILL NOT GOT A RELIGION WITH DESERT FOLKLORE IN A DESERT AT TURN 73
  • Lewis: "I've got 21 happiness all of a sudden, how did that happen?" Rythian: "A golden age?" THAT IS NOT HOW THAT MECHANIC WORKS
  • Lewis: "Maybe it was because I got allied with this city state?" YES
  • oh my goodness Rythian is actually using his unique Longship to circumnavigate the pangea someone hold me
  • (if he could maybe settle more than four cities as Liberty)
  • sheesh how many tiles did Sjin buy for Macadamia
  • also now is about thirty turns too late for you to be building your lighthouse given the whole GOD OF THE SEA thing just saying
  • FINALLY DUNCAN GOT A RELIGION AND TOOK TITHE AND MOSQUES I AM NOW SATISFIED
  • (kind of)
  • Sjin has discovered the barbarians on the end of the unsettled peninsula and seems incredibly surprised by their presence, despite the fact he knows he had his cargo ship to Duncan plundered there...
  • Sjin: "I think I found Tortuga!" PFFTHAHAHAHA
tl;dr - half of these people need schooling in geometry, the other in arithmetic

End of message.

Passes rule 3.

(09-29-2016, 11:47 AM)Sruixan Wrote: »I also am still up for an ET civ game at some point; my offer of a 2v1 has long been outstanding. Once I'm back in Oxford on Monday I can afford to fuck my sleep schedule about to make this or any other game idea happen.

(also a52 is like four syllables my mouth can live with that)

Passes 3.

(09-29-2016, 02:56 PM)qwerx3 Wrote: »this is a good point, was going to mention how 4 syllables doesn't seem like that much to say

Passes 2 and 3.

(09-30-2016, 09:21 PM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »
(09-29-2016, 11:47 AM)Sruixan Wrote: »Once I'm back in Oxford on Monday I can afford to fuck my sleep schedule

HappymelonHappymelonHappymelonHappymelonHappymelon

Passes no rules.

I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED

End of message.

Really desperately wants to fail rule 2, but I don't think it actually does. In fact, this ONLY passes rule 2.

(10-01-2016, 09:30 PM)Reyweld Wrote: »
Passes rule 3.

(10-02-2016, 01:17 AM)qwerx3 Wrote: »

I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED

End of message.

Now if only rules could be defeated

This, meanwhile, passes only rule 3.

As an apology, have a piece of information I already gave out one.

Rule number 2 is Just Apathy.

"Consider the possibility that you've been had
But not by me."
Bonus useless information, if I interpreted my rule 1 slightly differently, posts 8504, 8517, 8600, 8610, and 8682 would all pass it. But I decided against it because it would kinda ruin one of the things I wanted going for the requirements of a winning post.

also i misjudged that a52 post where he quotes ixcaliber accidentally but i fixed it
SpoilerShow
🐦🐙🐙[Image: nifOFwR.png]🐙🐙
(10-06-2016, 05:41 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

Passes rule 2, somewhat surprisingly. Figured there must have been a rule breaker in there somewhere but I checked thoroughly.
This is update #256.

Day one of mezzacotta complete:
  • [11:12 AM] qwerx3: oh wow, why did i try to solve 1C without the second page...
    _
  • [1:10 PM] Sruixan: WHY IS THE SPIDER SO HARD
    _
  • [1:18 PM] Sruixan: I wouldn't believe it if they weren't australian
    _
  • [1:55 PM] qwerx3: [are you serious a turnip is also called a swede]
    _
  • [5:08 PM] Sruixan: OKAY SO THE AKADEMIA IS A THEATRE NOT A UNIVERSITY
    [5:08 PM] Sruixan: FOR SOME REASON
    _
  • [5:28 PM] Sruixan: (I'd recognise a civ wonder anywhere)

Conclusion: we need to say more funny things and also maybe not solve all bar one of the puzzles before Fogel, Akumu and Kieros wake up.

End of message.
Hey, it's just payback for us solving SUMS puzzles while you were asleep.