Webtoy - now portable!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webtoy - now portable!
RE: web toy
Feels too cartoonish. I want death to be the "WHY ARE YOU NOT GETTING UP" scenario which is actually kind of more realistic. like rabbits. when someone pinches them. too much.
because seriously it's not nice to just throw 'em around

anyway

Mouse-distance variation in speed implemented.
If you let it idle for a minute it curls up and falls asleep (stops following your mouse) until you click on it to wake it up?
Maybe when you quickly shift from making them go left to making them go right they get dizzy?
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Doesn't fall over on nudges anymore!

@ Schazer: Good idea! I think this shouldn't take too long.

@ Reyweld: Currently it's "get faster" but that should also be possible. Maybe I can use a cooldown with each turn to check for overturning.
You must be registered to view this content.
concept: randomly spawning holes. They appear for ten seconds or so before closing and winking back out of existence. Maximum one on a screen at a time.

if you drop the character into a hole, they disappear and the hole closes up. A second later, they appear from the top of the screen right above where the hole originally was
https://i.imgur.com/0HqlAJB.png

there's no more stats and the person isn't moving
signature
might've been during me working on it

Now!

Jumping is good. Tell me if there are more improvements to be made.

Data can be toggled by pressing "D".
oh gosh that jumping is adorable. Possible addition: slamming into and sliding down the sides of the screen if they leap too close to it?
A teddy bear for snuggles.
a sanik skin.

e: page is outright not loading for me.
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
I think my provider is down right now.

The first post has been updated with a mirror link that goes directly to the page.

Fixed falling over on tiny jumps, which messed with the falling animation

Wrote out how to do holes. It's actually a fair bit harder than I expected, though I think I would want to expand this functionality to include general platforms and falling off edges.

Re: Wall-sliding: Sounds interesting and pretty doable! Just wrote up some pseudocode about how to do it. I can check if the sideways speed is low enough, but this probably means new sprites.

Re: Teddy bear: Great idea! Should it be draggable? How should the interactions occur (if any?)

Re: "Sanik skin:" spritesheet's on first page, anyone can make their own. If anyone posts a modifiable version I'd be very willing to put it on the site
I'm getting an inordinate amount of pleasure watching this poor thing's futile jumps against the side of my browser window

E: oh noooooooooo I put the cursor further up and it starts jumping high enough to hurt itself
That also only happens after being isolated from the mouse for too long :(

Normally they check to make sure the jump won't result in pain, but after being isolated enough there's an increasing chance of jumping anyway
Teddy bear should be draggable. I think it would just be a thing where if Lil (which is totally their name now) is close to the bear they switch to a 'contented face' sprite.

Also maybe just a contented face sprite for when Lil is on the cursor.
( - w-)
Tossing the person is too strong. All it takes is a little flick for them to go off screen
signature
Draggable teddy bear, Contented Face, Weaker toss, on the table.

The problem with weaker toss is that the mouse is fickle but unfortunately the only way I can check for the mouse speed is by checking the mouse, which is fickle.
less maximum speed i'd guess
signature
there is no such maximum speed...

so this is the burden of developers - should I make it toggleable? there's the people who like flinging into infinity and then... maybe I should poll the mouse less often?

that way it'll be slower flinging. but the thing is that it's a dependent factor on the mouse.

how's about air resistance, then?
Air resistance is a good idea, if you can implement it.
you should make it so pressing space makes the Doom II super shotgun sprite appear at the bottom nof the screen
Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post your size for opinions. Thanks.
Air resistance is super neat and also useful. I will do that. Along with the sprite

After some really important thing.

Called

"REALIZING THAT JAVASCRIPT IS ACTUALLY OBJECT ORIENTED, AND THAT MAYBE I SHOULD PUT THESE FUNCTIONS THAT I ONLY USE WITH THIS OBJECT AS METHODS IN MY OBJECT"

I'm going to do a fair bit of reworking...
Quote:"REALIZING THAT JAVASCRIPT IS ACTUALLY OBJECT ORIENTED, AND THAT MAYBE I SHOULD PUT THESE FUNCTIONS THAT I ONLY USE WITH THIS OBJECT AS METHODS IN MY OBJECT"
oh. yes. that's important.
I spent too much time working with pure C and forgot that methods were a thing, which is hilarious because I had my first formal programming course in Java