"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)

"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
RE: "I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
(09-12-2015, 01:46 AM)Reyweld Wrote: »Made Plaid's Upgraded Curry. My mouth is burned and my belly is full; I have no regrets.

Also I added dried Mango powder and cinnamon to make it sweet and spicy. (I ate it with rice)

I am glad it went well :v
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
I cut my thumb making tomato sauce from scratch but I am still A-OK. I have never made spaghetti sauce before (from scratch), but now I am doing it for the first time with a bit of help from a resident master. So far I have added about 14 normal sized tomatoes worth of fresh tomatoes (I used some grape tomatoes too), 1 carrot, 1 onion, 1 jalapeno pepper, 1 tiny zucchini, a handful of spinach, 1 garlic head, and 1 heaping teaspoon of dried basil and of dried oregano. This is all stewing in a pot on a low temperature (which I stir every 10 minutes), and I will have to cook it for 2 hours (at least) and then blend it, adding 1/2 tsp cinnamon and some balsamic vinegar at end to stir in.

I am only 20 minutes in but I am really excited and hope it turns out at least half as good as my mother's sauce.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I made it and it was sooo good (my mom also added some course salt and a tiny pinch of dried ginger).

I also had beets that were disappointingly bland, so I dunked them in honey.

Also also, I made another Lava Cake! MMmmmmMMMMMmmmmm~!

EDIT: And my Brother is making Jelly-Filled Cookies?!?!? Despite my cold, THIS DAY HAS BEEN AWESOME.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
OH MY GOD HE GAVE ME THE COOKIE DOUGH BEATERS
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I made (another) pie and wrote up the recipe

[Image: tumblr_nuzcvioyxl1ql1irgo1_1280.png]

It was pretty good! All thats left is a tiny slice, after making it very late last night. :>

[Image: tumblr_nuzcvioyxl1ql1irgo2_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_nuzcvioyxl1ql1irgo3_1280.jpg]

If you want it in something that isn't my weird handwriting then i also typed it up here
On reflection, I have literally only ever posted desserts in this thread. Guess it's time for another one; I just found a fun new tool at the goodwill and wanted to try it out.

SpoilerShow
Everything Soup
by Agen

Everything Soup is a great dish for the destitute student. It's basically a guideline to soup. Or a soup signifier. Most of the decision process surrounding it consists of "can this be boiled and will it taste nice if I do".

Now as a basic guideline, Everything Soup does have a set of core ingredients:

3-4 Potatoes (varieties suggested for mashing are generally better, but it's a potato. Use what you got.)
2 Onions
1 Whole celery (fuck yeah celery)
Some kind of meat*
Bones will add to the flavor - don't use chicken bones though, the small ones are a bitch.

FOR A MORE BORSCHT-Y TASTE
2 Tomatoes/cans of crushed tomato
- OR -
Tomato paste

FOR A CREAM SOUP SORT OF DEAL (less healthy, but my preference)
250ml of thickened cream, or whatever the small pots of cream are sized there

+ anything else you think will work***.

ACTUAL RECIPE:
  1. Get a pot and fill it up about... halfway full with water? You can always let it boil down or add water later if it's not looking right. Then apply heat. Not the police kind. Cops are not part of this recipe, unless you're a cannibal, in which case I take no responsibility for your actions.
  2. Wash and slice the potatoes. These will go in first. You can peel them if you really want, but fuck peeling potatoes. The peel's good for you anyway.
  3. Throw the tater bits into the pot. They'll take the longest to cook, so leave them there for now.
  4. Peel and slice the onions into chunks. So slice them into rings, then quarter the rings. Try not to cry. Set aside.
  5. Slice up your meat on another cutting board and with another knife (It's VERY IMPORTANT to do this, to prevent cross-contamination of meat germs). Set that aside too.
  6. Make sure you're stirring the soup.
  7. Rip the celery apart into its stalks and wash them.
  8. Slice off the top and bottom of each celery stalk, just under the leafy bit and just above where the bottom starts fanning out and turning white. Discard these. Mulch them into fertilizer for all I care. Grow more celery or something.
  9. Save some celery stalks for snacks. Stand them in a glass of water so that they don't wilt.
  10. Are you still stirring the soup? Make sure you give it a stir every so often.
  11. Slice the celery stalks into bits (small slices about half a centimeter wide), chunks (about a centimeter), or swips (long, diagonal slices creating thin but long pieces, and yes I did make that name up)
  12. The water should have been boiling for a bit. Fish out a bit of potato and test it. If a fork pushes into it easily, then they're cooked. Throw in all your meat stuff now.
  13. Now take a break. Set a timer on your phone for, I don't know, four minutes. And twenty-three seconds. Read a book or something. Change up your cooking music.
  14. THROW IN THE ONION! At this point, you should probably be also throwing in your everything elses.
  15. Prepare your bowls and stuff. Set the table.
  16. THROW IN THE CELERY! And also toss in the cream if you're using it. If you're not doing cream, throw in your tomato/paste in now.
  17. Add a bit of water if it seems to be boiling a bit low. I like my soups thick and dense, closer to a stew, honestly, so I wouldn't add too much. Your preference, I guess.
  18. Stir like you've never stirred before! Keep stirring until cream/tomato-ness is evenly distributed.
  19. Turn the heat down to low, until it only just simmers. Hopefully your potato at this point is less chunks and more an evenly distributed suggestion of potato-ness.
  20. Let it simmer until your hunger can stand no more.
  21. Spice to your taste.
  22. Serve hot. With a slice of bread because why not.

*what animal you choose will affect the taste. This recipe is intended for red meat, but I suppose you can substitute white in a pinch**. Mince is your cheapest option but you know, it's not the best for you, so use what you can. Omit if vegetarian, of course.
**Chicken doesn't seem like it would soup too well, though. No inherent taste.
***Things that do not work in Everything Soup: lettuce, pasta, rice, pre-made soup mixes (I will hate you), pasta sauce, bacon (surprisingly), miso, seaweed, pancakes, mayonnaise, broken glass, plastic lids, pencils, exercise equipment, earrings, regular rings, headbands, hair, prescription medicines, flakes of nail polish, medical tape, USB flash drives, lightbulbs, noble gases, notebooks, phones, binder clips, rubber bands, needles, thread, glue, water bottles, paint, gender changers, ink, typhus, cholera, radioactive isotopes, electricity, apprehensions of mortality, world peace.

Tears are quite nice as a seasoning though.

Disclaimer: if you hate this then i'm sorry
You must be registered to view this content.
[Image: 6a00d8341c5e0053ef014e60b6d6db970c-pi]

Quite the treat. Basically a bar of coconut flesh with an almond or two on top, covered in chocolate.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
My sister came home and made the most delicious french onion soup! It had Swiss cheese and baguette soaked in and it was so buttery delicious. The recipe is pending but once I have it I'll post it.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
(12-22-2015, 06:32 PM)Reyweld Wrote: »My sister came home and made the most delicious french onion soup! It had Swiss cheese and baguette soaked in and it was so buttery delicious. The recipe is pending but once I have it I'll post it.

That sounds fantastic. I'm a huge fan of french onion soups regardless of what cheese is used, and baguette is the perfect pairing for it.
[Image: WFQLHMB.gif]
My friend had a sort of pot luck dinner party and as per usual i went hard on what to make

[Image: food.jpg]

For starters i made 3 different kinds of filos (spinach and feta, pumpkin and kumara, and mozzarella, pistachio, tomato and pepper) and they were super good. Sadly there were none of the spinach and feta ones left over, because they're my faves and i want more :c

Then Arancini for mains! Arancini are deep fried risotto balls filled with usually some kind of cheese i think? Mine were filled with the aforementioned mozzarella mix (the leftovers went into the filos) with pumpkin risotto. It was delicious.
My parents left and will be out shopping for most of the day. So I'm doing what every teen would do when their parents aren't home for an extended period of time.

I'm baking cookies.
Oh man I'm so sick of mcdonalds

I wish there was a tim horton's nearby but all we have near the school is starbuck's. Maybe I'll make spaghetti or something when I get home, since that's all I have ingredients-wise. (I DO make great spaghetti, though)
Oh my god I made apple crisp (aka apple crumble) and it's so good.

Basically fill a glass pan with sliced apples. Then, melt half a cup of butter and add to it 1 cup of flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 cups of oats and cinamon to taste. (Note: I usually put in more oats, this time I put in slightly more than double.)

Put the crumble on the apples then bake at 375 for 1 hour and bam!, so good.

Excellent with vanilla ice cream on the side, or milk.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Honestly the cheapest and easiest dessert to make, made it a lot when i was flatting? Esp because we had an apple tree in our back yard

The crumble is really nice uncooked too >_>
No shame, I always eat all the extra that can't be mounded onto the apples. Brown sugar and butter become a tasty treat.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I could really go for a baked potato right now, but it's almost ten pm and I don't want to get up and cook one for an hour. hmm...
I made pancakes with raspberry yogurt, and added in blueberries, apple chucks, and grated lemon! They were amazing.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I made basic-ass soup last night out of onions, garlic, bacon cubes, chicken stock, and Leafy Greens Of Some Persuasion.

Then because I'm a menace to society I chucked half a tub of kimchi into it when I reheated it this morning
Honey and Beets are a sweet treat,
Jamacian Patties now that's a feat,
Hot and Sour Soup, and Greenbean Fried Rice;
looks like I'm living in paradise!
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I made fried rice last night. It's normally a pain in the ass to do because you need to cook rice the night before, but this time I cheated the system by making rice with half the water and twice the time in the ol' rice cooker.

Then I stir-fried up some diced onions, added some chopped-up leg ham, and added the rice when the onions were translucent. I tossed that around until it was properly coated in the oil, then threw in three beaten eggs and stir-fried it until the egg was cooked and the rice was sufficiently eggy.

It was delicious.
I made a triffle, and French Onion Soup! My brother made Hot and Sour Soup!

We had Dim Sum! I'm making a real good sandwich! FOOD
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Angels came down from heaven and gave me some Vegetarian Bulgar Walnut Chili. It's so spicy and meaty (despite being vegetarian) and it has a perfect texture and I am going to go get a second bowl.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I just made an omelet (and had a nosebleed during the middle). Here is what I put it:
  • bacon fat
  • sliced ham and turkey
  • mushrooms
  • rice (cooked)
  • sweet potato curry
  • black bean salsa
  • fancy white cheddar
  • dried parsley
  • eggs
It was all sorts of extraordinary.
Sig:
SpoilerShow