"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)

So I have this weird habit of taking pictures of food, so I thought I would share.

SpoilerShow

This is a thread to talk about how great food is, or how not so great food is because sometimes food is kind of awful, and that's just one of life's great tragedies.
Beep Beep
RE: "I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
The Fait Memorial Chat Thread

(Nutella. That is all.)
yesssssssssssssssssss

Wow some of those pictures look delectable (also huge), others look like an arm.

I had some prosciutto wrapped around cheese wrapped around more prosciutto (and basil).

It was the perfect way to end tonight.
God dammit, Nog, I'm trying to diet. Minion
durian smoothie what
i didn't think durians were popular enough to warrant their own smoothie
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
For someone who eats kittens you apparently don't know much about eclectic foods.

Which is to say, that you know a little more than me.

Durians stank right?
Yup. I hear you can't carry them on buses in certain countries because of the smell. Pretty sure that law only applies to the countries that actually grow durians though.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
Durians smell awful, but don't taste as bad as they smell. Sadly, this isn't a testament to their taste as much as their smell.

(06-04-2012, 05:10 AM)MrGuy Wrote: »God dammit, Nog, I'm trying to diet. Minion
I'm not apologizing. Minion

So I went to the Cheesecake Factory for a belated birthday dinner.

[Image: 2012-06-06_18-42-26_569.jpg]
[Image: 2012-06-06_18-42-37_568.jpg]

And then I went home and cried because I ate way too much.
Beep Beep
Guys lets talk pizza.

Best pizza/worst pizza/favorite pizza/wierdest pizza

personally, I love the "european" style pizzas. Just oodles of olive oil over very thin but flaky crusts and an eclectic variety of ingredients. Though I'm not a big fan of the walnuts they have on some. Something about surprise crunch (even if a delicious walnut) just doesn't appeal to me when biting through the warm goodness of pizzatime.
My perfect pizza involves cream cheese and cranberry sauce. So good <3

I also prefer thick crusts, which is a shame because my family refuses to get anything but thin.
My favorite pizza is pepperoni and Italian sausage, though just pepperoni is pretty dang great too. Although most of the pizzas I have these days are frozen and generally they're just cheese (though multiple cheeses).

Dammit, now you've made me want a pizza.
My favorite pizza of alllll time would be the pizza you get at the Brisbane Powerhouse: it has leaves on it and some form of mushroom and also cheese. Whaaaat, it's been a while since I had it, I don't have the menu memorized >:3

My favorite pizza that is available on a daily basis however would be this potato pizza which has slices of potato next to cheese aaaaand some kind of fancy ham. Nom. :P
I had a pizza that came from a gas station once and it was pretty much what you'd expect from that.

On a happier note, I have a Digiorno in the fridge, which is just the bomb as far as frozen pizzas go.
The best kind of pizza is deep dish pizza. Meat, garlic, and some sort of vegetable or two. Anything else is INSUFFICIENT.
Actually, I kind of like all kinds of pizza. But I'm not a HUGE fan of cracker-thin crust, and I really like deep dish the best.
My favourite pizza is this pizza from Boston Pizza (pizza pizza pizza) and it's like got cactus cut potatoes over it all and bacon and mozza and cheddar it's called the spicy perogy pizza
[Image: spicyPerogy.png]

Also while I was looking for that picture I found they now have pulled pork pizza omg

[Image: ProductPage-PulledPorkPizza.png]
I think my favourite pizza comes from the Pizza Milano's right outside campus. The cheese is never burnt beyond recognition. The crust is the perfect combination of crisp and doughy. On campus, it's considered blasphemy to order pizza from any where else (or that might just be because it's inexpensive pizza within comfortable walking distance but most importantly it isn't cafeteria food).

The seafood pizza one of the pizza places in my home town sells is interesting. It's not good or bad, just interesting. It's the kind of thing you eat if you have the desire to wonder what in the world is in your mouth during the entire meal. I'm quite certain there was squid on that pizza, maybe shrimp, possibly imitation crab meat as well. Maybe? It just looked like white stuff. I think I remember more about the soft texture of the crust than I do about what the pizza actually tasted like. Part of me wonders if I'm better off not remembering.
Beep Beep
Today I made blueberry compote in goat cheese cream. Reviewers described it as "like a parfait" and "pretty good for what it is".

SpoilerShow
Very nice presentation SO!

So do you down it like a shot? or use some kind of tiny spoon?
I just used a regular-sized spoon. I think you are underestimating the size of the portions. The dishes have a capacity of about, uhh, probably between a cup and a cup and a half? I'm not good at eyeballing volume, but they're certainly quite a few times the capacity of a shot glass.
Oh gosh I am doing exactly that!

There's been such a prevalence of shot-sized desserts recently that I guess I've started to underestimate the volume of standard sized desserts! A trend designed to make me healthier is having the opposite effect!
By popular request: How to make mapo nasu. (With a bonus recipe in How to Make Mapo Dofu!)

You will need:
Garlic (lots)
Pork mince (~100 grams per serving)
An eggplant (I made about two and a half servings, and used about half a large eggplant)
Miso paste
Soy Sauce
Chilli (I use red bean chilli paste, you probably don't have to be so pernickety)
Cornflour

Fry the garlic and pork mince in a deepish pan until you have cooked mince. Slice the eggplant however you like; you may have an aversion of some kind to either the teeny tiny brownish seeds in the middle or the rather rubbery outer skin. Remove those if you have beef with 'em. I like to not have my eggplant pieces falling apart into fibrous mush in my food so I keep a strip of skin to each piece; however you do it is your prerogative.

Add the eggplant. Add water to cover the eggplant and mince, add miso paste (quite a many tablespoons), soy sauce (a splash or several), and chilli to taste. Leave to simmer (with a lid on if you've got one), add a teaspoon or so of cornflour as the eggplant starts to cook. It'll go from whitish and spongy to translucent and less cucumber-like. Add more of those aforementioned seasonings as the sauce thickens if it still doesn't taste how you want it. White wine, sugar, or pepper may also be added in, but don't add salt. Miso and soy sauce have more than enough salt. Ketchup might work? I dunno.

Cook some rice. (Or cook some rice before you got started cooking. Else you'll probably be nibbling at eggplant all evening waiting for the rice to cook and have none left to actually eat.) Serve with rice in a rice bowl, mapo nasu in bigger bowl, and pick out the big bits and eat them with rice. As you get down to the sauce and can no longer use chopsticks, pour the remaining pork and sauce and bits of eggplant you saved for later (because they're the best bit) on top of your rice (or rice versa), yell "DON'T JUDGE ME" at any rice-eating purists around you.

Mapo nasu is easily converted in to mapo dofu if you use cubes of tofu instead of eggplant. In this case, add the tofu after the cornflour, because stirring it up too much will leave you with a disappointing tofu-fragment-filled mess rather than delicious little morsels.
Schazer Wrote:the best recipie
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod

*btp screams; runs to grocery store
(10-09-2012, 11:02 PM)Schazer Wrote: »(or rice versa)

Arrested. On grounds of aaaargh.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
Bad puns are the best side dish.

Hey, Schaz, can the pork mince be swapped out for something a little more pescatarian friendly?
Beep Beep
I did some google-browsing, and swapping out the mince for an assortment of appropriate vegetables - green beans, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, etc, would work nicely.