Murder By The Book - Ender's Game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murder By The Book - Ender's Game
RE: Murder By The Book - Day 1: Murder on the Disoriented Express
Chwoka, mine is somewhat obvious if you understand the reference. Perhaps a drink of Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster would help you understand

though seriously slorange/seedy interaction re: slorange's response to seedy voting akumu and calling slorange out on the posting stuff(which was a very nice post) is something that should Probably Be Looked At.
I think, all things considered, I'd be somewhat ok with "randa"lynching the Amos-slot.

---

Susan assures Anona the horses in her works are merely window dressing, figures of speech. Painting pictures with words and the like, before sighing at Ms. Bryant's spitting match with one of the luminaries. Honestly, Susan appreciates a brave face as much as anyone would in a situation like this, but there's the cool optimism that instinct will hammer the instigators in rapid succession, then there's healthy scepticism, then..... whatever this is.
She perks up at the talk of Gargle-Blasters, though.

(@donut) "Mr.... Adams? Unless I'm terribly mistaken? I'm curious, if you wanted either of the two "Probably [...] Looked At", what would that entail? Would you want one lynched?"

She's perusing Anona's notes all the while, yawning a little. "'scuse me. I was expecting to doze off listening to some of you regaling me about your latest works, not staying up until the small hours figuring out who among us is trying to kill us all.

I mean, I personally agree with [Slorange] in principle! My limited experience with murder mysteries - oh don't look at me like that, we've likely all read them before - tells me that written well, in the preamble anyone could be the culprit! It's only once a few facts get established that we can narrow things down, ask the right people the right questions."

The novelist falters a bit here. "Granted, how these affairs tend to go is that someone dies tonight, but I won't deny I'd rather not contribute to the death of innocents. It comes down to an ethics debate, obviously, whether inaction makes me as large a culprit as willingly contributing to lynch someone who turns up innocent."

"I'm not seeing any behaviour from anyone to date to warrant stringing them up, so I'll Vote to No Lynch and retire for the evening."

---

Final note: If Eberron flips mafia, I want Sotek looked at. I think we all feel like the day's not leading anywhere, so that vote of Sotek's feels like something that they could use later to implicate their "innocence" if Eberron is mafia and is revealed.

(For the newer folks: Putting votes on scumfriends when they're not liable to get lynched is a thing scum can and will do! If they put a vote on and otherwise progress the lynch enough that the scumfriend gets lynched, that's "throwing them under the bus" or "bussing". Mafia trying to look like town may have to do that if their scumfriend is doing a bad job at not looking evil, because ignoring an obviously scummy dude isn't a town-friendly thing to do.)
Yes Schazer, Probably Looked At entails one of them being lynched/killed and then seeing their flip.
However, it's probably not goong to happen today.
Vote No Lynch
I, Votals

Mirdini - 1 (Agent)
No Lynch - 5 (Slorange, Dalm, eberron, Schazer, icanhasdonuts)
eberron - 4 (Akumu, Palamedes, Gnauga, Sotek)
icanhasdonuts - 1 (amosmyn)
amosmyn - 1 (Solaris)
Chwoka - 1 (Granolaman)
Akumu - 1 (Seedy)

With 21 alive, it takes 11 to lynch and 6 to soft lynch. Deadline is Friday, March 21 at 11:59 PM Mountain time.

Still haven't found a replacement, and at this point I'm not expecting to before day ends.
I remain firm in my belief that lynching someone now, even at random, is better for the innocent authors than not lynching. I was focused on the inactive participants because it seemed unlikely to get enough people to agree to a lynch on any one of the active participants, while I didn't think anyone would disagree that someone who didn't contribute for four days would be a big loss to the game.

I guess now that everybody has posted, that's out the window though!

I've stayed on eberron because, as I think I've said enough times by now, I am going to vote to lynch whomever I find most suspicious today, even if that level of suspicion is very low. Nothing anyone has done since I voted eberron has struck me as more suspicious than the agree-happy flip-flopping. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention; I'd love to have more suspicious things pointed out. Is getting on a wagon in and of itself suspicious? After all, in order to lynch anyone, including Undercover agents, there has to be enough people voting that way. After the flip we can look at such things.

The only wagon that strikes me as innately suspicious is the one for No Lynch, as that action can only benefit Undercover. Am I beating a dead horse here, apologies to Susan? I guess so, but no-one's told me why I'm wrong about it so I can only keep believing I'm right.
Why the hell are you guys mixing me up with Para... wait. Did we get switched somehow? Do I have all the powers of a mod? Of a god?

In all seriousness though, I'd like to respond to things properly but currently my computers turned into a smoking pile of junk so posting is going to be limited to stuff (almost definitely) shorter than this at best for the next while.

For now I'll just say that it looks like seedy's taking an easy target because I think multiple people (me, Sotek, others probably) have said the exact same thing, which comes off as a little hypocritical I guess. Otherwise I'm okay with her stuff.

Voting no lynch still seems silly to me, to be honest, since it's the outcome of not killing anyone anyways. It's not like we're going to hit deadline and the mods will be forced to random-lynch a bunch of people because we didn't have at least six people voting to not do anything.
Oh what the hell, I can take another five minutes to respond.

Agree somewhat with Akumu here on the no-lynch bandwagon, but for the reasons I've stated (as opposed to because I inherently disagree). donut's vote is the worst because I don't think he's really done anything and that's terrible justification? After that I'd have eberron, then Dalm, then Schazer, then Slorange.
I don't see the problem with no lynching. It's merely an indication of not voting. With deadline less than 24 hrs away, I'm not going to lynch eberron because there's no actual reason to. So Akumu and Pala going "NLing is bad", yes it is usually, but nling now doesn't affect anything really.
Ugghhh I don't wanna lynch eberron anymore but I really don't wanna NL uuggghhhh
[Image: sig.gif]
(04-11-2014, 12:35 AM)Schazer Wrote: »pffft dingle your pringles more like hop on your popcorn
(06-03-2014, 03:10 AM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »DON'T EDIT POSTS YOU'LL GET MODKILLED wait a minute.
*Sigh* you guys better promise to help me seriously analyze the fluff posters tomorrow.

Unvote. Vote: eberron
Yeah arright we need to get this done sorry eberron
(04-11-2014, 12:35 AM)Schazer Wrote: »pffft dingle your pringles more like hop on your popcorn
(06-03-2014, 03:10 AM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »DON'T EDIT POSTS YOU'LL GET MODKILLED wait a minute.
Mmm, I don't know that I'd say a vote to no lynch is the same as no lynch vote. If anything, it's even more suspect: one passively doesn't add any substantive evidence of one's suspicions or beliefs, the other actively prevents establishing such.

To mitigate that – although still not actually provide anything concrete – I will say that if I had a gun to my head and someone was demanding I lynch, I'd probably vote eberron. I can personally never tell the difference between really new players and inexperienced scum players, and I know he's one and suspect he might be both. Of course, the fact that he IS a new player compounds my lack of interest in lynching him day one. You can't really learn by not playing, and it's no fun to sign up and be shut down. Aside from that, most of the discussion and most of the action I would largely characterize to playstyle differences and discussion about the lack of real things to discuss.

I am actually somewhat leery of Schazer for agreeing with me. The rest of the no-lynch voters don't play often, and I assume are operating on a similar logic to mine; Schazer isn't usually so far on my ideological spectrum to actually support an early no-lynch. What's the deal, yo?
edit by way of post (that is what ebwop stands for, new mafiosi, I don't remember if that's been covered yet): Surely the fact that they are fluff posters by definition precludes analysis? What can you say beyond "noncontributory, more interested in being a wacky author than in winning the game"?
Yeah, well my next book has a sentient space ship with ears. The idea is of course that its aural prowess will enable it to sense in the horrible sensory maelstrom that is the surface of a gas giant. Gas giants are, of course, among my most favourite of planets. They are positively magnificent.

What were we talking about again? I must admit I wasn't following. Input was provided.
The Lion, The Witch and the Votals

Mirdini - 1 (Agent)
No Lynch - 5 (Slorange, Dalm, eberron, Schazer, icanhasdonuts)
eberron - 6 (Akumu, Palamedes, Gnauga, Sotek, Granolaman, Nova)
icanhasdonuts - 1 (amosmyn)
amosmyn - 1 (Solaris)
Akumu - 1 (Seedy)

With 21 alive, it takes 11 to lynch and 6 to soft lynch. Deadline is Friday, March 21 at 11:59 PM Mountain time.
"No matter my personal leanings, I gotta see what happens if No Lynch gets a soft lynch along with a Yes Lynch."
If you've read my last novel, Tea With Alfred, which you should have, if you enjoy proper literature, you will remember the key quote from it, "No one ever accomplished anything by doing nothing, except when they have."

I say, I must push to Vote: Eberron, if only so something is accomplished today.
"Please do make it quick then dearies so my old heart doesn't suffer."
(03-22-2014, 03:35 AM)eberron Wrote: »"Please do make it quick then dearies so my old heart doesn't suffer."

Before you go, do you find anyone suspicious? Any shifty activity you picked up on? Parting requests? Smoke? Last meal? Promote your soon-to-be posthumous hit novella?
(03-22-2014, 04:26 AM)Nova Wrote: »
(03-22-2014, 03:35 AM)eberron Wrote: »"Please do make it quick then dearies so my old heart doesn't suffer."

Before you go, do you find anyone suspicious? Any shifty activity you picked up on? Parting requests? Smoke? Last meal? Promote your soon-to-be posthumous hit novella?

Sips some of her tea as she hands Nova the draft of Dragons vs. Chimeras. "Do enjoy what I finished of it."
Hey, my post was ic.
Speaking of, I'm not sure there's any 'interaction' between Slorange and I besides both of us being super catty but okay.
Although actually I'm with him on continued "wth granola."

Anyways Akumu...

(03-21-2014, 04:00 PM)Akumu Wrote: »I remain firm in my belief that lynching someone now, even at random, is better for the innocent authors than not lynching. I was focused on the inactive participants because it seemed unlikely to get enough people to agree to a lynch on any one of the active participants, while I didn't think anyone would disagree that someone who didn't contribute for four days would be a big loss to the game.

You do realize that this translates to "I thought it would be too hard to get this person lynched, so instead I figured that lynching a non-active player would be easy and noncontroversial." That's...a really scummy thought process, you know? Also, random lynches are not better than no lynches. The whole POINT of "always lynching" is for the information. Picking someone at random and piling on would preclude that. As would piling on someone who hadn't even talked.
Not that I can really say you were trying too hard get those players lynched, since you just made a few vague posts and never voted for any of them. You've just passively stayed on eberron. I understand some of your arguments, but I don't feel you've satisfactorily answered your inaction...other than to say that you felt it would be 'too hard' to even try to push a lynch.

Eberron, you should probably claim your role? And uh, give us a few reads on people. Like who you think is scum and stuff. That's kinda what Nova was going for in between the joking.

Personally...I think I feel bad enough about Akumu to not really want eberron dead. I'm conflicted, but it's not enough to make me vote them. It'd be some really interesting information...but there's also the whole "d1 lynching an inexperienced player in a casual-ish game" angle. And if I'm not sure enough to lynch, then I shouldn't be sure enough to sit on my vote and watch them die either. Vote: No Lynch
Right now I honestly dont have anything to go on for voting someone, though woka seems to be abit, idk, odd with his actions.

and i claim no special roles
(03-22-2014, 01:44 AM)SleepingOrange Wrote: »I am actually somewhat leery of Schazer for agreeing with me. The rest of the no-lynch voters don't play often, and I assume are operating on a similar logic to mine; Schazer isn't usually so far on my ideological spectrum to actually support an early no-lynch. What's the deal, yo?

Understandable; it's more a conscientious objection in response to this really weird push out of comparative nowhere to get Eberron up to soft lynch. I really didn't have a better reason beyond "I don't think Eberron should die, but I don't think there's a better candidate for the lynch either" until Seedy voiced similar opinions to mine.

Sure, he's an option, but more so than Seedy's "he's new" angle is the fact I really don't think he's scum. I'll obviously re-evaluate that position in light of anybody dying and turning up after N1, but I've always found my pattern-spotting eye improves when I'm staring down the barrel of a lynch? So in that regard I'm putting benefit of the doubt on Eberron to be more use in D2, pending their survival.

I'd actually be content with a Vote: Cyber speedhammer if we're going to "randomly" lynch, unless he thinks fast and gives me some ideas about who to look at if Eberron flips town, versus if he flips scum. Because what the heck that vote of his is super-opportunistic.

I'm willing to jump back to a last-minute No Lynch if it saves Eberron, but would be ok with Cyber getting lynched over them.

---

I typed all that out and realised that I might have dodged your initial question? Basically until I got a load of Cyber, I figured "I think eberron is a mislynch, this is just my gut, from a utilitarian standpoint net Fun goes down if we lynch Eberron now. Can't think of a better lynch target though"
Man, if eberron is somehow maf then maf rrrreeeeeaaaaaaaally doesn't have daychat.
OH btw the reason I'm not voting Akumu despite wanting them dead is because I've never seen deadline speedlynches turn out well, and they annoy me on principle. Also Schaz by my estimation we have ~10 minutes left so, uh...if I were you I'd activate your plan b right now.