This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
Put it in the suggestions forum
hu cayr

Not like anyone's really inconvenienced by a misfiled thread. We're small enough it doesn't hugely matter.
You should make a hawkspace thread to decide where it should go.
I cannot overstate how glad I am that we migrated all the Grand Battles before this mspaforums shit went down
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck eeeeeeeeverything
I'm trying, but there's lots of everything
Slorange, you need a checklist.

Don't forget to put the checklist on the checklist.
(04-07-2016, 09:32 PM)Akumu Wrote: »I cannot overstate how glad I am that we migrated all the Grand Battles before this mspaforums shit went down

Mmf. Pity I never bothered to request some of my non-battles stuff, now I'm going to have to delete some links in my signature :/

(It was crap anyway)
So did the mspaforums go down for good or something
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
Forums remain down, lemme assemble a blow by blow of recent developments
So, uh

A member of the Homestuck Discussion community on MSPAF made a long-ass post that has probably graced your Tumblr dashboard a couple times. They've erected their own free forums for the Homestuck Discussion community to regroup and keep talking about the comic.

The actual post chiefly expressed frustration at the complete radio silence from WP. Considering the only information about what the issue was was from the personal twitter of ex-server monkey NotASenator, (and I will punch anybody's teeth in, friend or foe, if they derail this into a let's-go-off-about-how-victimised-we-were-by-this-guy-by-proxy tangent), the verdict is probably bad. While the data for the actual content remains, there's no PHP - no forum - to display it on.

We had no idea in what manner the issue was being addressed, whether that was trying to restore it, rebuild it, or calling in an old friend for coroner duty. I think most people would avoid raising pitchforks if we'd been told "hackers got into it, it's all gone, we're sorry", and avoided taking frustrations out on the staff, sentimentality for the lost content aside.

The post in question got passed around, reblogged, with most comments being "I'm sadgry" or being critical of WP's customer service, but generally steering clear of vitriol.

More recently, there was a reblog by a throwaway tumblr account by someone who supposedly doesn't want WP chat on their main. It could be someone stirring up shit but goddamn, their spiel about entitlement, impatience, overly-vocal minorities who don't represent the indifferent fandom at large, censuring pestering of unofficial channels, tacit lack of acknowledgement that any aspect of the complainant's argument is valid, it's Peak Homestuck Administration.

So, I dunno what's happening. I can't really bring myself to feel anything about it, either - I'm somehow at peace with my community of three, four years being wiped from written memory, I feel an obligatory kind of sadness to people who feel a real sense of loss at this, but I can't really muster anger (though apparently I'm ahead of the WP game because I can, at least, acknowledge the feelings of those who are.)

It just seems exceptionally dense and immature to respond to angry people with derision for their less-than-rational emotions. I dunno, maybe I'm just a paragon of conflict resolution so it seems really goddamn simple and I can't viddy how a bunch of reasonable adults can't figure this shit out.
How do you lose the php? I don't... Understand...

I mean i'm not a tech person but it seems like that would be retrievable if not possible to rebuild

Condolences to those who still used those forums though
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
even if it is the total and complete lack of response makes me think that they dont want it recovered which is like the most shitty thing they could do imo

the other most shitty thing they could do is continue to say nothing, fix it, and pretend nothing happened bc then its like, all of the mods' problem now and we literally have had 0 word on anything lmao

like that guy can fuck off bc even if "they're working on it" it would take like 4 seconds to send a response to any of the mods who asked about it and like, the fact that they dont give enough of a shit to give us any response tells me that the things done and over yet imo
Standing here, The way ahead's becoming clear
All across these new frontiers
In my hands I hold the ones I love
Walk forward through the cold dawn
Always to new horizons
PHP files are still just files, stored somewhere people aren't supposed to be able to reach. Get through security to where those files are stored, delete the right ones, and even if all the actual stuff still exists-- images, text, all that jazz-- the website doesn't know how to access and display the stuff anymore, and we get... something like this.

It's entirely possible that the PHP could be recovered if it was saved somewhere that wasn't deleted (or whatever happened), or rewritten either from scratch or off a preexisting template. But, given the past and current behavior of the people in a position to act-- Well, as Sol says. I hold out hope, but not that much.
I'm 99% sure the people who actually control the website have completely forgotten about it and/or haven't been on there for years. Judging by how long it's been since mspaf underwent any kind of maintenance or upgrade.
i'll miss the sburb is real thread the most
Thinking about it... If the php is what runs the forum, not what the forum is stored on, then shouldn't they be able to just download a new blank template from vBulletin? It wouldn't look the same, obviously, but it would work. Then again, this is WP we're talking about. We'll be lucky if we get any kind of official response or acknowledgement at all.
theres a lot of "easy" ""solutions"" but remember that the exact details of this are actually unconfirmed!!! maybe its worse than what NaS said/thought! we just dont knw
Standing here, The way ahead's becoming clear
All across these new frontiers
In my hands I hold the ones I love
Walk forward through the cold dawn
Always to new horizons
If someone could have deleted the php they could have also deleted the content as well. So short answer is yes, long answer if yes but also no depending on the situation.

I don't have much to add to this other then the general I wish someone would give official word on it. I'm not too broken up or angry about the situation only because this is pretty much the 3rd time I've run in to a forum in which no one knew who was in charge and thus it somehow fell apart, that's why I always grab backups.

Granted those other 2 forums were really small forums that ran for about a year, nowhere as big as the MSPAF.
Theoretically as long as the SQL database with all the users/posts is intact you can plug it into even a different kind of forum architecture, I migrated a forum from one kind of another once myself, so if that is intact they could literally just reinstall the forum software and it'd all be there (well, apart from custom themes/emoticons/etc). But as Gimme said, if someone could fuck up one they'd have just as much access to the other, they'd usually be on the same servers with the same levels of permissions.

There's really not much benefit to speculation here.
Yeah, probably not. It's not like we can really do anything about it. Of course, that's exactly why it's so frustrating.
You must be registered to view this content.
they should put that instead of the default image they have on the site now
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
(04-08-2016, 08:19 PM)Jacquerel Wrote: »Theoretically as long as the SQL database with all the users/posts is intact you can plug it into even a different kind of forum architecture, I migrated a forum from one kind of another once myself, so if that is intact they could literally just reinstall the forum software and it'd all be there (well, apart from custom themes/emoticons/etc). But as Gimme said, if someone could fuck up one they'd have just as much access to the other, they'd usually be on the same servers with the same levels of permissions.

There's really not much benefit to speculation here.

isnt that what they did with forapocalypse? They migrated it from phpbb(?) to vbulletin, with all the posts intact except the oldest ones from like, before 2008 got lost and showed up as intriguing empty boxes.
I would assume it's either dead forever (rip in peace) or that we'll wake up on some random wednesday morning in June and it'll be back like it never left.
EVERYONE IN EUROPE NEEDS TO GO TO BED
IT'S LIKE 5 AM
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES GOSH DARN IT
~◕ w◕~