Breaking the Ice [N0]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking the Ice [N0]
Breaking the Ice [N0]
And yes, today is a grand day in the history of science. At the docks of Antwerp, the submarine on which thousand of scientists collaborated to build, shall for the first time take off from the harbour. For the first time, man shall set foot on the icy reaches of the south, and survive there for one week. Of course, the ship is packed with enough food to sustain the crew for a week, as long as several machines to perform experiments on the artic region. At the final day, a drill will penetrate down to the ocean bed, and give us exact detail on the icy chamsm of Antarctica. That final day will be incredibly important for the result of their travels, and we at home can only cross our fingers that everything goes according to plan. More at 7.

- Le journal télévisé de France, exerpt, translated to English.

This is a game of mafia!

Mafia?

Yes, mafia! The classic psychological game where Paranoia meets Cops and Robbers!
There's two sides, townies and mafiosi. Each want to kill each other the fastest. The townies vote someone to be lynched each day, and the mafia kills someone each night. And only through logical thinking will the town find out who the mafia are. If you need a more detailed explanation, or if you have any questions during the game, you can always check on the official mafia wiki, or contact me personally!

Okay, so why the flavor?

I'm glad you asked! This game of mafia is situated on Antarctica! During summer! If you're acquainted with geology, you have probably heard of the midnight sun. It's the rare phenomenon where the sun won't set at night. As such, you are free to discuss the game overnight. This is a little experimental, and I don't know how much of an impact this is going to have on the game itself.

Of course, I won't let you go cop someone and blab it all out the moment you get a result (partially because that would be a dumb move that will only get you killed) so I will be handling night actions collectively at the end of the night.

This game is a closed setup, so I won't tell you anything. Lynches happen once a majority is reached on the lynchee (which is n/2+1 if n is the player count) or at the end of the day, if half of a majority is reached on a player (which is n/4+1, for those of you keeping track (you poor souls)) If not enough votes are cast at the end of the day, I default that day to a no lynch.

The flavor mentions food for a week, and this is no lie. To prevent unending stalemates (which I did manage to find in the setup) the game shall last no more than 7 in-game days. After that, the game shall end uncontested, with neither side being on the winning end. I'm sure that a 13-man setup will never come to that, but still, for good measure, you have a maximum time limit.

Since this is kind of a small forum still, and I'm still considering a lot of setups, I'm not going to cap the player count. I would however like a minimum of at least 7 players.

0. Wojjan
1. MrGuy
2. whoosh!
3. Dragon Fogel
4. Pinary
5. Schazer
6. PickYerPoison
7. Solaris
8. Wheat
9. Niall
10. g0m
11. SleepingOrange
12.ProfessorLizzard
13. Aves
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
Re: Breaking the Ice [SIGNUPS]
Joining!
Yeah, I'd like to play some mafia. :>
Sign me up!
I'll add my name to the list.
Yaay I'll give this a shot
No better way to develop love/hate relationships than Mafia, I say. Except maybe drunken Russian Roulette, but the relationships developed by that tend to be a lot shorter.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
[Image: Spr_4d_360.png]
in
Okay, now that we're with the bare minimum of expeditioners, I'm gonna place a limit on signups.
If you want in, you better say so before the 13th of July, 12 PM in GMT
"How do I make it send?"

I'd like to join up please.
Is observing my own pattern of behavior of observing my own patterns of behavior a mental fractal or just navel gazing? Please advise.
ooh ooh can i play
Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post your size for opinions. Thanks.
I'll join up if you'll have me.
"I won't tell you anything."

That is a closed setup, not an open one! [/pointless nitpicking]

Can I play ? :<
ProfessorLizzard Wrote:"I won't tell you anything."

That is a closed setup, not an open one! [/pointless nitpicking]

Can I play ? :<

I am the best at writing things.

You're all in! Congratulations! Mighty big football/cheerleading squad this year.
Can I squeeze in?
Day Zero

The snow cracks beneath your collective feet as the first shaky steps are made on the surface of the cold South. You see the sponsor for this expedition head on ahead, and greet the group from a distance.

"Here you are, my men! Antarctica. The final frontier if you're afraid of heights!" The man chuckled. "I hope you can all make yourself at home on here, and get the tents set up in camp for today. Tomorrow we'll start with the experiments!"

You all head off towards the base of a glacier, finding it sturdy enough to prove cover from the nasty arctic winds, and start setting up camp. "Well then if you don't mind, I will be retr... retrie..."

Before anyone can process what was going on, the man was already sprawled on the floor, coughing up blood.

Wojjan was Bartleby Finch, host, sponsor, and captain for the mission. Having nearly no interest in what the mission was about other than the social status sponsoring science brought along, he was pro-town, in the strictest sense.
Since he had no job to fulfill on the island itself, he was the least consequential death of all. Still, any life lost before its time is tragic, and you are all left to wonder how or why this came to pass.

It is now Night Zero. You are allowed to post in this thread, and only here unless your role PM states otherwise. Speaking of those, they will start going out by order of signing up. Once you have received your role, please confirm in this thread, and if applicable send a night action to me.

There shall be no kill on this night, the mafia will first have to hide poor Bartleby's body.
Confoimed.
Confirmed.
Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post your size for opinions. Thanks.
Confirmation.
Indeed.
This is a confirmation post.
Confirmed!

(Although I didn't even notice that I had a private message for four hours apparently. It's more subtle than I'm used to.)
Confirmed.

(Yeah, I'm with whoosh on this one; hard to see!)
Confirmed.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
Coooooonfirmed