The Grand Battle Video Game (and Soundtrack) Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE GRAND BATTLE (The Video Game)

I figured why the hell not make a thread. We talked about it at length in the IRC, so if anyone wants to fiddle with this idea feel free. Remember, this is a discussion thread! Feel free to offer new ideas, argue for or against existing ones, and... y'know, discuss things.

This post is reserved for how the game will ideally work: features, mechanics; in essence, The Big Picture. The information contained herein is liable to change, though if it's in this post it's probably a good idea.

High Concept
Several beings of varying origin and ability are forced to fight through a series of environments that change as they die off.

Game Summary
  • Adventure RPG (a la Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, etc)
  • Real-time, 3rd-person
  • Real-time combat? Turn-based? Instanced?
  • Realistic or semi-realistic art style (?)
  • 3D? 2D?
  • Equal focus on Conversation, Combat, and Exploration (individual characters may have a preference)

Proposed Features
  • All classic characters playable (include Non-canons? Unlock requisites?)
  • Branching dialogue system (again, like Mass Effect) for ease of being a huge asshole, but only to some people
  • Custom character/Grandmaster/round creator/generator (how would this even)
  • Mode: Grand Battle ("canon" set-ups, or a "campaign mode" of sorts; would probably need to play through these to unlock other modes of play)
  • Mode: Custom Battle (Pick the contestants, pick the Grandmaster, pick the Rounds - or just set everything to random, if you're The Organizer prefer)
  • Mode: Grand Clusterfuck (This would be a very late unlock - throws all characters and rounds into a single long-ass battle)
  • Mode: Big Fite (Everyone (else?) is a god-moder)

Here's a list of all the shit everyone else already thought of, in no particular order:
SpoilerShow
The Grand Soundtrack
The Grand Battle Series Super Sound Track Collection!!

Many thanks to SleepingOrange for compiling all themes as of Nov 1 2012.
I will repair broken links as I am able.
SpoilerShow
Re: Grand Battles, The Game: The Game
Battle!! Doctor Anarchy
SpoilerShow

Battle!! Dekowin?
SpoilerShow

Gonna work on some more after I play me some Bastion
Encounter!! The Tormentor:
SpoilerShow
Terribly disappointed that Battle!! Xeno Photon is not from anything Naruto.

Grand Battle!! Kracht
SpoilerShow

I don't really know either.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
I was afraid this might happen:
Woffles Wrote:Terribly disappointed that Battle!! Xeno Photon is not from anything Naruto.
If a song for a character has already been proposed, and you have a different idea of what that song might be, don't be afraid to suggest alternatives! Or, if you feel the current song doesn't appropriately reflect the character it's supposed to represent, tell us why.

This is a discussion thread! Please use it to, y'know, discuss things. Again, nothing is set in stone at this stage. Not even the things mostly set in stone are set in stone.

Speaking of which, I gotta edit up that OP a bit...
Re: The Grand Battle Video Game (and Soundtrack) Discussion
This concept is pretty great.

Unlockables:
GB: Library of Lies (unlocked by beating Nathan in Battleopolis) / The Subconscious (unlocked by beating Amethyst in The Library of Lies)
GBII: Dimensional Speakeasy (unlocked by finding Clara in Value City Mall and ensuring her survival through Doomish Temple)
IS: Super Robo City (unlocked by saving Robo City in FC) / Frozen Destinies (unlocked by beating GB as Eximo)
BM: Iris (unlocked by causing Wolf to have a spiritual experience in Firestar)
GBS2: Water... Place (unlocked by beating GBS2 as Kracht) (alternately after you've beat GBS2 as Kracht Round 3 is always randomized)
BRS2: The Entire Battle (unlocked by being as silly as possible in Round 0, otherwise DE happens for real).
FC: Infinite Playground (unlocked by completing optional boss encounters with Zaire in Robo City)
GBe: The Rainy Place (unlocked by beating A Nameless Manikin in The Garden of Shades in PC)
Zone!! The Great Battlefield
Encounter!! Marcus White
Grand Battle!! Parsley Krose
Requiem!! Parsley Krose
Epilogue!! Eximo Pulvis

Requiems are for death scenes, Epilogues are for character endings. Just to make this more ambitious.
Oh, wow. I like Ix's idea of "canon" rounds being partly conditional. I suppose if this were to enter development, doing it one character at a time would be suitable?

So, start with GBI, Eximo the only playable character. I reckon for convenience, the plot remains largely unchanged other than accommodation for the necessary "what if" scenarios that leads to the playable character winning. If that were the case, the first "release" would pretty much follow GBI's original storyline, and unless you g'over'd or something the "canon" rounds would unlock pretty much automatically.

This'd guarantee at least one different plotline with Nathan as the playable character; potentially more with Amethyst. Because the pre-requisite for a "good end" relies on Nathan being the Round 5 endboss, this might make it possible to prevent "good ends" for certain characters (such as if Dorukomets always had to fight Lutherion in Round 5 instead.)

I think what I'm getting at is eight more-or-less linear plots per Battle; one for each character. If it were more of a sidescrolling beat-em-up type dealie I could see some sense in round-end "boss" contestants being more randomised, but the linear storylines would probably make the whole project a bit more manageable. I think.
I think I remember that Doomish Temple was supposed to be GB1 Round 6, and then the Observer took it when it wasn't used?

So unlocking that in GB2 would involve unlocking the Library of Lies, I guess?
Six's theme, which I made MYSELF:

Got a buncha Paper Mario 2 tracks for ya:
And don't forget to title the music if y'want! For instance:
At least one of Saint Scofflaw's themes has to have something to do with this.
SpoilerShow
Battle!! Sirius
Let's get a little bit of that obnoxious TWEWY J-Pop in here

Battle!! Tinten/Huebert

Encounter!! Acacia
SpoilerShow

Battle!! COFCA/Envoy

Battle!! Countess

Zone!! Sk'Va??

Encounter!! Muriegro/Laguja

Battle!! Muriegro/Laguja

Battle!! Ouroborous

Non-canon bonus:

Everything!! Hector Metah
Since this is also a discussion thread, I've replaced my embedded videos with links to save on loading times for people checking in here. I'd like to request that others do the same.
Going to start sketching up a basic level design for the HMS Thunderhead, mostly for shit and giggles.
SO NANCY WHAT'S UP

I kinda find it silly to name these songs when we're just taking them from video games and blah but it's also fun.

Battle!!Nancy: I don't really want to fight - I always liked imagining this as a battle song, but it would have to be slightly arranged. A bit faster, and cut out a lot of the middle, calm bits.

Grand Battle!!Nancy - FIGHTING ALL THE LUCK - Hopefully this something with a full orchestra and good quality. Hopefully it's the right rag. Ragtime doesn't really lend itself well to battle music, honestly, but I've always liked this one. The bass part is really fun to play. And it seems dark enough. As dark as ragtime can get.

As for Encounter!!Nancy (Who wants to deal with this malarkey?!)....uh...I have so many ragtime music in my head that I can't.... really, uh, remember which one actually sounds like what. But I'll just list a few songs I know (and have played) and you all can discuss it? Or I'll look at them later and decide on my own. (Since not many people seem to be discussing alternative music to anything.)

There's a song called Stop It! but I can't seem to find it on youtube. Can't seem to find Me-ow either.

In Dahomey And hopefully this is the one I'm thinking of.

Maple Leaf Rag Was hoping to find full orchestra for this or something. But oh well. I don't even remember what it sounds like. I only remember vaguely liking it. This might not fit at all. Oh well.

Oh hey wait a minute found the orchestral version I guess I'll leave that first one up there though.

More Candy

That Teasin Rag but mostly because of the name. That name's just so silly. And it had a singer? I don't kno what this is. It hsares the sae name but I can't really listen to it right now.

That's, um, probably enough. Um. I knew once I started suggesting music it would be hard to stop.
I don't think the battle theme for Nancy is paced fast enough! Try this on for size?
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
That's a substantially cooler battle theme, but now we need a different one for her Grand Battle theme because then they'll sound too different and I don't like that.

And actually listening to everything I suggested for, I would think Maple Leaf would be best for Encounter

But a question about Encounter themes, do they play every time you talk to a battler? So you walk around in the stage, listening to the zone music and then you meet up with someone and talk and then it's the encounter theme? When do you encounter characters? And what determines a transition to encounter rather a transition to battle and thinnnggssss I don't knooowwww
Oh god the Magnetic Rag would be so awesome as a conversation music for Nancy tooooooooooooooooo
Woffles Wrote:I don't think the battle theme for Nancy is paced fast enough! Try this on for size?

I honestly do not think this fits at all.
MalkyTop Wrote:But a question about Encounter themes, do they play every time you talk to a battler? So you walk around in the stage, listening to the zone music and then you meet up with someone and talk and then it's the encounter theme? When do you encounter characters? And what determines a transition to encounter rather a transition to battle and thinnnggssss I don't knooowwww
Well, that's part of the reason we're here, innit? I don't know either!

It'd probably depend on what kind of game-type-thing we're shooting for here. If it's a classic JRPG-type dealie (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, etc), then it'd probably play whenever you initiate lengthy dialogue, maybe every (or almost every) time you talk to them? It'd depend on the specific situation, ultimately.

If we go the more freeform route of modern AARPGs (Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc), it'd probably play when you approach someone or someone approaches you. If this is the case, then depending on how said character is feeling towards you at the time, you might hear their Battle!! theme instead. (This to emulate plot armor when fighting dudes who can go invisible or have sniper rifles, etc.)

Though the former is more feasible, the latter is (I believe) more true to Grand Battles and is the concept I am currently designing towards. Anyone who's actually trying to think towards the game-end of things may also wish to clarify what playstyle they're envisioning for this game.

E: Since I'm here; Exactly What It Says On The Tin ~ Encounter!! Parliament