This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
All i see is an incomplete group of assholes

Crying Eagle
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
And I'm back! Basically my hard drive failed and it took way longer than might be expected to get everything back to normal, especially since I live in the Silicon Valley. (Not having a computer also did not fare well for my CS grade.) But anyway everything's fine now.
(02-17-2014, 10:40 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Expected levels of Grampyness until 5:36. Wait for it. Then just when you think that's as insane as it gets, it isn't.

Goddamn.

Whoa, did they build + rotate a cardboard model and then layer the animation over that? That's pretty neat. It's like the 1930s equivalent of really obvious CGI in early 2000s TV shows.
Thank Sadgi! They shared it on their school blog, that's where i saw it.

The effect is quite surreal. I like how Grampy always ends up fucking up something permanently, like that stove.

Maybe we should have an animation thread but i feel like i'm too bitter about it and not knowledgeable enough to justify it.
(02-17-2014, 06:03 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »The aforementioned tumblr post explains the process in a little more detail.

This post reminded me of the greatest name in animation, Ub Iwerks

Ub Iwerks

Anyway, animation chat makes me think - I haven't seen any of Miyazaki's films. (gasp!) What would you guys say is the best one to start with?
My Neighbour Totoro or Princess Mononoke would be my somewhat-arbitrary picks.
My first one was Porco Rosso, not a very good pick; still a good movie nonetheless.

My second was Kiki's Delivery Service and i would recommend it to get you started.

Coincidentally, those are the only two Miyazaki films i've watched and i saw them both at Whim's stream.

I want to watch more Miyazaki movies.
(02-17-2014, 06:03 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »The aforementioned tumblr post explains the process in a little more detail.

I know what rotoscoping is, I meant that the way that one bit was filmed it looked like they straight-up combined live-action (a rotating cardboard model) w/ animation (the coaster + tracks + background).
(02-18-2014, 03:59 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Secondarily, Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind, which is almost a favorite but has some narrative problems at the end.

Have you read the manga? The movie is like the first third or quarter of the story with an ending shoehorned in (hence the narrative problems). The manga is amazing straight through.
Spirited Away is one of my favourites since it's the first ghibli film I ever saw (or that I actually remember. I think I remember watching what I now think was Porco Rosso when I was little but I can't really trust my memory)

but I haven't seen it since I was a young teen so I can't really give an actual opinion on the narrative or anything

I just like no-face
(02-18-2014, 04:37 AM)Sadgi Wrote: »Spirited Away is one of my favourites since it's the first ghibli film I ever saw (or that I actually remember. I think I remember watching what I now think was Porco Rosso when I was little but I can't really trust my memory)

but I haven't seen it since I was a young teen so I can't really give an actual opinion on the narrative or anything

I just like no-face

I would just like to mirror these sentiments, with an exception in that Spirited Away was definitely the first ghibli film I saw, but I saw it during an art class in 6th grade, so watching it over the course of a few days with the teacher rewinding too much trying to find our place because several other classes were watching it too had a negative effect on my opinion on ghibli films for a while. Everything happened so much.

And then I watched the whole thing on my own in highschool and it became one of my favorite films. And it still is, so, there's that.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
(02-18-2014, 03:59 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Although often conflated with rotoscoping, Fleischer's Stereotypical Process allowed them to combine film of a rotating background and hand-drawn animation. There is a diagram of the machine in the post. Did you actually read it?

Whoop, my mistake. You're right and I should pay more attention to words Melonspa
So i've discovered Eagle Time is not blocked at work, now i can waste my time here while i pretend to be working! Hooray!
Welcome to the unproductive legions, Ed! Hope you enjoy your stay.
Fun fact: I always go to eagle time to check if my mobile internet/wifi is working.

Twitter is the true productivity murderer on my phone, though.
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
Well there's not a whole lot of new content on ET every day. I was so happy at first when i saw it loading, then slightly disappointed when i saw no new posts. That's perfectly okay though, i love ET.
Some of them are outright depressing.
(02-28-2014, 10:36 PM)Ed Wrote: »Some of them are outright depressing.

That's not even the worst one!
I dunno, the cheeseburger still looks pretty edible
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
(03-01-2014, 12:43 AM)Plaid Wrote: »I dunno, the cheeseburger still looks pretty edible

I guess, I mean its not like oats in ketchup will kill you
But which is the wurst one?

(I can never resist a terrible pun, this will one day be my downfall.)
it's literally just salami incased in bread
Europeans are actually birds
As a Londonborn I can attest to this
some breads have seeds in/on them???
[Image: SD+Black+Sesame+Seed+Bread+3.jpg]

my guess is that they're trying to make a salami bread tube look healthier than it actually is