"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)

"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
RE: "I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
siracha combos best with pho, where the broth and the noodles take on a different taste across your inflamed taste buds
Sriracha's great. For me, it's spicy enough that I'll notice it, but nowhere near enough to be uncomfortable. I do go through it pretty fast, though.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
I tried a friend's chili once that was spiced entirely from sriracha. Was pretty good, especially with some cheese and sour cream added. And of course extra sriracha (I kinda, um, broke the bottle and a whole bunch poured out but it was all good)
Food checklist from five days so far in Japan, where * denotes an allegedly local specialty (christ it seems way longer than that):

Pickled eggplant
*Goya (would not recommend)
*Fresh local grapes (green and red) about an inch in diameter
Fish
more fish
Japanese curry at a cute little eatery that's probably gonna be a second home to me, if the owners' generosity is any indication
Half a bottle of CC lemon
Spaghetti with mentaiko, in a single-serving sized portion that cost 170 yen
A fair share of convenience-store riceballs
*Hiya-jiru, a miso and fish stock soup served cold and poured on top of a huge bowl of rice
Scallops in a citrus sauce that I suspect would be *hyuganatsu
Prosciutto and melon
Hazelnut cake
Also, ice coffees are different. It's a chilled black filter coffee dealie into which you pour syrup. I'm probably gonna stick to soft drinks.

I've yet to eat a mango, as the season for them just finished, they are as expensive to regular mangoes as square watermelons are to regular ones. They're also about the same size as a curled-up three month old kitten, which is a metric that I got from the aforementioned eatery.

I've yet to eat the prefecture's signature dish, chicken nanban. Three meals at a time and all that.
(08-08-2013, 09:34 AM)Schazer Wrote: »*Goya (would not recommend)
[Image: PLiWoj4.jpg]
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
That little green fucker's smiling because it's so bitter nothing's going to eat it.
(08-08-2013, 06:10 AM)Gnauga Wrote: »Sriracha's great. For me, it's spicy enough that I'll notice it, but nowhere near enough to be uncomfortable. I do go through it pretty fast, though.
It's deceptively mild, IMO. You taste a bit and think "Oh, this isn't so bad" and then MOUTH-NUMBING PAIN. Maybe I'm more of a wuss than I thought when it comes to spiciness?

I still want to try cooking with it, though. Sounds good.

Supes do you like super spicy Indian food? That's my one exception to my general distaste for spiciness. Probably because it's balanced out by other flavors in most Indian dishes.
I have eggplants from my supervisor's garden. I'd normally cook them with pork mince and chilli and miso paste and such, but that'll probably entail going and buying the condiments, and I forgot I'm now in a cash-based economy and my bank card doesn't arrive for another week or so. Short of it, self-imposed limited funds for two weeks or so.

There are quite a few ingredients left in the house, of the non/slow-perishable variety. I have noodles, rice, and nothing non-perishable except for the eggplants and a couple of green bell peppers (also a gift from my supervisor).

Alternative moral of this story, even if you don't have a recipe idea: When at a technical college with a strong agricultural section, tell your colleagues you love fresh food. They grow fresh food. They will give you fresh food.
especially the kind that doesn't stop growing no matter what you do to the plant

(march of the zucchini)
I need a recipe.
The recipe I need is for those weird cookies you find in stores. You know the ones. They are in festive shapes; or round, with icing in pretty colors. Some have sprinkles. The icing is usually thick.
Edit: testing recipes submitted by noms.
https://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-cook...-frosting/
https://allrecipes.com/recipe/butter-ici...r-cookies/

will post the results when cooked.
Suggestions for shapes/colors?
~◕ w◕~
Do some (simple-shaped) characters from various FAs you like.
Plantains are, as I have recently discovered, the best. Godspeed, cooktopus.
When I buy more milk, I am going to make mashed potatoes with mayo

this i swear i will
Disappointingly, they taste like sugar cookies, but not like the STORE BOUGHT sugar cookies. I'm guessing the magic taste is to do with the preservatives at this point!
Stick-figure cookies are currently cooling and awaiting icing~
~◕ w◕~
I've had a craving for hotdogs for the past like two weeks straight. I've eaten far too many and it doesn't end. I do not understand what's going on.
You should make chilimacncheesedogfries.
It satisfies every craving.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
(08-14-2013, 09:17 PM)Infinity Biscuit Wrote: »I've had a craving for hotdogs for the past like two weeks straight. I've eaten far too many and it doesn't end. I do not understand what's going on.
That can usually be chalked up to a salt/fat need, but I suppose it would have gone away by now if that were all there is to it.

(08-14-2013, 09:32 PM)KittenEater Wrote: »You should make chilimacncheesedogfries.
It satisfies every craving.
Are you familiar with the “garbage plate”? Not quite the same, but same idea basically.
Man no way I just put a giant pickle slice, some tomatoes, a whole bunch of white onion, some jalapeno, mustard and ketchup it's so good

With the hot dog and pickle it may very well be a need for salt; hot dogs are the only processed food I've been eating lately so maybe I'm running low?
Obviously this is freudian
Yeah, it obviously indicates a deep-seated desire for cigars
Biscuit, I am prescribing you 20 ccs of oversalted junk food daily.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
| ◎∧
|´・ω・) Potato chip beeeam!
|. V ノづ ⌒ ⟢ -=⊐
|___:|__|
|__)_)
I'm a terrible one, but I'm, er, trying. I've just had weird craving for hot dog for the past month and I still don't know why
I’m trying to eat more vegetarian meals per day lest I end up shaped like the fellows I’m named after, but I suppose that doesn’t count. It’s hardly even flexitarian.
I’ve heard ’em all.

Except that Jude Law remake which was a box office bomb. Never heard that one. Nope, always about the original. (I think he won that “world’s sexiest man” thing that year or the next? But that’s not a thing I want Google remembering I’ve looked up, so I won’t.)