REFUGEVILLE

REFUGEVILLE
RE: REFUGEVILLE
It's Ajnin Dumb Idea™ Time!

>Lure the forest face into the (probably) bottomless pit! It's following us specifically; if we get a scout over to the pit, we could float into the pit itself as far down as we can. The worst/weirdest that the trees could do is attach to the inside of the pit, climbing down, since I assume we can float through dirt/stone we don't have this limitation and can just float out of their way. Madness does not lead itself to self-preservation, thankfully. If nothing else, it buys time.

If we do this, I'd recommend just using one scout for this and using the other to send Wally the Pearl Monster to the Zalugi to burn this mfer down.

On a side note - twice now we've had allusions to the Signet's madness. Right now Holkaborg probably isn't strong enough, but in the future, I'd like to see if she can make the Signet more sane.

I'd like to experiment with the map scroll a bit - it's weird that the directions referred to in the scroll were from the tribe's position; maybe what it does is show the nearest four boxes relative to your current position. Experimentation is required.
(04-14-2018, 07:43 AM)gloomyMoron Wrote: »One of the explorers should use the wood from the crates and the rags from the slaves by the Bridge-to-Nowhere to start a fire after the other leads the forest to.

The plan is put into action, and after a harrowing ten minutes, the Chanting Forest catches fire. What follows is an ungodly scream that pierces the sky.

Unfortunately, you’ve only managed to burn the trees on the outer edge.

(04-17-2018, 11:43 AM)Wessolf27 Wrote: »Apart from Gloomy's plan, we must sacrifice something to buy us some time to enact it. We offer wine and mead to her, and a summoned animal if we must.

Nguda draws the Rune of Holkaborg in the sand…

[Image: gYKtTaN.jpg]

…and places a bottle of mead and a bottle of wine as a sacrifice.

(06-01-2018, 09:04 AM)Ajnin Wrote: »On a side note - twice now we've had allusions to the Signet's madness. Right now Holkaborg probably isn't strong enough, but in the future, I'd like to see if she can make the Signet more sane.

Holkaborg responds:

“I have tried to make the Signet sane. I have no power over them for their minds were not born under my watch.”

What? What does… what does that mean? Before you can ruminate further, she continues.

“Go east. I sense the minds of Patrollers. If you go now, you will meet them. Do not stop until you meet them.”

Heeding her advice, Nguda, Mahfo and their horse Comet rush to the east. An hour passes, and the Chanting Forest, angry and determined, still pursues you.

At last, you come across a pair of Zalugi Patrollers!

[Image: xj8B9y9.jpg]

They’re inspecting some kind of tower. By all known laws of nature, this thing shouldn’t be standing, yet it does. The whole architecture just screams ‘Signet’.

The two Patrollers notice your two explorers, along with the angry forest chasing after them. The taller Patroller shouts out: “GET INSIDE THE BUILDING!”

With no time to ask questions, they get inside the strange structure along with the two Zalugi people. Strangely, the Chanting Forest just keeps going eastwards, as if it didn’t see your people climb up the ramp.

Inside the structure, the shorter Patroller introduces herself. She is speaking your language, with a strong accent.

“Greetings. My name is Golgora, of the Zalugi Nation. I reside in Padabon. You are from the west, and… you are from Refugeville?”

Mahfo and Nguda nod.

Golgora is delighted and continues “Very good! This is my partner, Yahfi. He is from Padabon, like me.”

Yahfi waves, and notes the confused looks on your explorers. He gives an explanation as to what this strange tower is.

“We in Padabon call this thing ‘The Argument Tornado’. It is shaped like a tornado, but it’s form looks different to different people. Tell me, what do the walls of this building look like they were made of to you?”

Mahfo and Nguda say that it looks like some kind of wood. Yahfi nods and says “Yes, just as I thought. People from different places see this building in different ways. To me and Golgora, this Tornado looks as if it was built out of marble. People from the Yaranga thought this was made of steel. The Dermilians thought this was made of glass. Very fascinating, very disturbing, no? So we call it the Argument Tornado, because everyone sees this building differently and the only thing we can agree on is that it’s shaped like a tornado.”

Your two explorers are dumbfounded. Try as they might, they really cannot see the walls as anything other than wood, same as you.

Then, Golgora speaks “We discovered something else, too. This building, everything inside it is invisible to monsters, the ones made by the Signet. We don’t know why, but this place makes a good shelter from their creatures… which is probably why that weird forest that was chasing you ignored you after you went in. So, travellers, my partner and I were ordered to confirm the Argument Tornado was here and then return before the sun sets. Would you like to come with us to Padabon?”

Mahfo and Nguda look at each other. Mahfo and Nguda politely decline, explaining that they are worried about their home. Considering the sheer number of threats out there in the world, the two Patrollers understand.

Soon, your two explorers return home. Kori the merchant is back as well!

[Image: 8PbthQ2.jpg]

The following have been added to your village’s stockpile:

- Compass
- 6 crumbits
- 1 bottle of Wine
- 2 bottles of Mead
- Ceramic Dagger

You feel relief at the sight of your explorers making it home.

Briefly.

A vision comes before you. Were it not for the fact you are conscious, you would have considered it as a mere dream.

[Image: RY6SPJm.jpg]

The figure addresses you.

“Guardian Ghost, Sentinel Spirit, Protective Phantom. There are many gods in this cosmos. Many names, many fates. I am one of them. I am The God From Nowhere. Born without reason, free to roam, free to help, free to hurt.”

You ask if the God From Nowhere has a proper name.

“Call me whatever you wish. Make an offering to me and I care not if you insult me. I am the God From Nowhere, and what you get is what I wish to grant you. A boon? A curse? You may never know… but such is my nature.”

And in a flash, the vision ends.

You have now learned of The God From Nowhere. Though your people remain unaware of his presence, you may now sacrifice something from stockpile for an unpredictable result.

Rimewulf whispers to you: “Do not trust him. The God From Nowhere is a miserable mess. He has no purpose, born only because the chaos in our cosmos allowed it.”

Holkaborg speaks to you as well: “The God From Nowhere is desperate for purpose. He seeks followers. He might have learned of your people from your contact with the Zalugi.”

Rimewulf is taken aback: “That means at least one of the two people you met actually worships The God From Nowhere.”

Holkaborg reassures the God of Wolves: “We have nothing to fear from him. You should not regard him as an abomination, Rimewulf. You should instead regard him as an orphaned child looking for a home.”

Rimewulf scoffs, but says nothing. The two gods have ended their conversation, and you return your attention to the village under your protection.

Your people are arguing about what to do regarding the Dermilians. Some of them want to try and raid the Dermilian camp up north to steal supplies and free slaves. Some want to post a permanent lookout outside of the village to keep watch. Others think they should stock up on oil and use that to cook the Dermilians in their metal armor. A small minority believes the best option is to just hide in the basement if they see anyone from Dermilyu approach.

As Guardian Ghost, you can influence how their argument goes. What approach should they take, with regards to the giant slavers living north from your village?

>_

SpoilerShow
Perhaps we could raid for supplies at night, rescue slaves and ask Holkaborg to madden anyone who persues us.
Beautiful. That's the exact type of information I was looking for from Holkaborg regarding the Signet. What it means, time will tell, but it gives us another tidbit about these guys.

I second btp; if we have our raid party approach as wolves, they'll be even more surprised and less prepared.
Can't say I particularly feel the idea, myself. Like, while I'd normally be down for a night raid, I'm a bit iffy towards the idea given that, for all we know, they could have stealthed scouts patrolling the area, and I'd rather we not risk bringing some phantom giant back home with us whilst thinking that we got away scot-free.

Regardless, I do feel like trying to save up oil so as to cook some giant supremacists doesn't sound like a bad idea. Building some catapults prob'ly wouldn't hurt, either. Mind, if we can find a decent way to obscure them, that'd be even better, but... I doubt we have the means available to us at the moment, so.
First things first:
I'd like to remind that all we've seen at the god box village were an avant guarde of four warriors (the invisible scout and the three wariors) but they arent installed there as a camp just yet, even if they have, according to the woman, reinforcements and scholars on the move we haven't confirmed those have arrived yet.

So there may not be slaves near to save nor supplies to raid yet and that also mean we have time to prepare and that's good.

1) While the invisible scout has been dealt with, the three solders should still be there at the godbox and know there are 'tiny people' around. If those three were to be missing all the reinforcement would know is what the scout had put n her aven messages.

2)This is still a vilage build around a signet contruction. While the giants are clearly not afraid to fight the signet as shown by the fact they fought both the god box' monster and ravaged the brain box, it sill inflicted many defeat upon them, if they were to thin it's prsene is still all over the village, I wonder how eager they'd be to colonize it..

Possible strategy: kill these three soldiers (it'll be hard), booby trap the god box vilage, make it as unhospitable as possible and make it look like a signet nightmare/curse.

The details are a tad fuzzy yet but the region is not missing in monsters we can use and we have lots of oil for much painfull firey death and creepy smoke plus possibly Holkaborg illusions.

Our people are still also marked by the Signet, so real signet monsters will keep stumbling around sooner or later... maybe we could play both sides againt each other. And we know the mark still works even after death,I wonder if there would be a way to mark them in turn although that'd likely require a sacrificial lamb among our people one or another...

----------------------------------------

In the meantime, we certainly should have our people build some traps aroud refugeville :

The design is fairly simple, hidden wooden spikse pit with oiled slippery walls.
They don't need to be hyper deep either, just enough fo anyone to really get their leg nixed badly making them useless in combat. The giants are heavy, especialy with their armors and as such much more likely to fall into these and be unable to get out. If an army or even a scouting party show at our doors, that should slow them down quite a bit.

I'd be tempted to build some new defenses on our walls proper but as I mentioned before, just because the Dermilyuian are close doesnt mean the signet isn't still going to be a thing that keeps happening. We're still marked by them, and against them our best protection is still hiding our presence.
While I appreciate the ideia of having more traps in Refugeville, I also find it interesting to build a few improvised shacks to allow our villagers to have more privacy and comfort while we don't dig a few rooms in the basement.
Duck, duck, duck, duck, GHOOST.
The traps would have to be outside the walls to be efficient against the Dermilians while your huts would be inside so they aren't mutualy exclusive as long as the stocks of wood an mapower ae poprely spet.

Also, rereading the last updates, I ralize I missed that ealier:
Quote:DERMILYU DOOMED IN DENIAL
The Dermilyu Kingdom made another sad attempt at reclaiming their lost glory. They sent a lone warrior to Padabon, and we drove him off with our catapults. Despite being reduced to only 20 people, they are still hunting for slaves and attacking settlements. The last of their royals, King Vondar, refuses our calls for an alliance. It seems they are determined to obey their arrogant ways until extinction.

If there are indeed only twenty of them left, the Zalugi paper could be wrong), why I have n doubt hat eve a single Dermilian is a dangerous and a ew of them a force to be recknoned with, I'll admit that make the rescuing hostage plan a lot more viable as would be the traps.

And it makes me very tempted to take on these three Demilians the village right now while they are still 'alone'. wonder, is terenayone in our poulation with knowlege of herbristery (mabe sk he Zalugi nsead). We may not even hve to kill them if we ,could get some large amount of sleping gas/drugs.

With only twenty of them left, three hostages could be a very precious bargaining chip to gain their begrudging fear or respect. And as loathesome as giant slavers may sounds, the fact is they are fearsomes wariors and we could use ALL the help we can get against the signet.Who knows of the twenty left a few might be ledss deluded and reasoned to rebuild teir society in less insane ways..
As the sun sets, Wally the Pearl Lobster doesn’t come back. Distressingly, your villagers can see small flecks of white dust on the river’s surface. Did something happen? Your people pray that he has not been caught by the Signet.

(An unexpected disruption. You will not receive any more Care Packages from Padabon for now)

(06-04-2018, 08:59 AM)btp Wrote: »Perhaps we could raid for supplies at night, rescue slaves and ask Holkaborg to madden anyone who persues us.

Five brave warriors, dubbed ‘Wolf Runners’ by your own people without your suggestion, wait for nightfall and head northwards towards the Dermilian outpost, Mosstown.

They reach it without incident.

[Image: dXMTWMC.jpg]

It seems the Dermilians already brought in their slaves. You can see ten people from an unknown tribe, along with two guards clad in plate armor. Luckily, they didn’t bother to build a cage, though the slaves are all chained together.

A Dermilyu scholar, just as large as the guards, writes by candlelight on the desk. You can see a silver key, resting right next to the paper.

There is also a tent, apparently full of supplies. Knowing the Dermilians, they would have very high quality goods. A quick look shows that there are 5 steel maces and 4 loaded crossbows inside, along with some grain, cabbages, fruits and jars of water. There is also some kind of wheeled cannon but there is no way to light the fuse.

Your Wolfrunners perform a simple ritual to plead to Holkaborg. They sacrifice three hunks of rabbit meat, to make the enemy less alert. She graciously accepts the sacrifice in the darkness, the hunks of meat vanishing into thin air. Your enemies will be distracted by blurry figures, visions of vague phantoms.

The Wolfrunners have come up with a plan: One Wolfrunner will distract the Dermilian guards and… (You may mix the following options)

- The others will steal the key and help the prisoners escape!
- Kidnap the Dermilian scholar.
- Kill the Dermilian scholar.
- Steal the scholar’s report, it could be useful information.
- Loot supplies from the tent!
- Steal weapons from the tent and give them to the prisoners.
- Steal the crossbows and use them to kill the guards.
- Steal the cannon, so the Dermilians won’t be able to use it against others.

>_

SpoilerShow
Hey. Nice to see this (and, by extension, you, Mayu ) is back

>At the risk of sounding greedy I'm gonna say: All of the above if we play our cards right.

>If we get the guards distracted, we can take the scholar hostage, take his key and free the slaves and then turn up the crossbows against the guards.

(Bonus if we manage to get them to drop their weapons rather than kill them (dangerous and arbhorent as they may be, I still think they could make great allies of circumstances against the signet))

> Then we're free to collect the whole loot., hostages, free men, repport, weapons and supplies.

>If we can't haul the canon (a possibility given it's size and weight), then we should sabotage it (Better if we could not though.. one day int he future we could use this as part of our own defenses)

>HOWEVER, first we should have our wolf form take a good sniff at the smell aorund here and listening very carefuly with wolf hearing before we get in, to make sure there isn't an invisbke susrpise like the last dermillain who tried to follow them, or checkt here arent some traps around the encampement, or that the scholar doesnt have magical runes on him.
- The others will steal the key and help the prisoners escape!
With this, we will have more time to think about the situation and act.
DO NOT attack the Dermilian scholar as he doesn't have any weapons and doesn't look menacing, we're here to free the prisioners and pick food.
Duck, duck, duck, duck, GHOOST.
If we're taking the key, the report is right there so we might as well grab it too. Or at least take a glance at it.
Quote:DO NOT attack the Dermilian scholar as he doesn't have any weapons and doesn't look menacing, we're here to free the prisioners and pick food.

Appearances seems a poor choice lf criteria to judge dangerosity in an adventure where both magic and horrible mutations are confirmed things. Besides the key to the prisoners is like, right on his desk and said desk is right near the tent pf supplies so we'll have have to at least neutralize them in some way to acess them.
Unrelated to the issue at hand, but we should definitely be making more specific use out of Call of the Wild. We should prioritise getting a sperm whale from Call of the Wild asap. The amount of useful material and food we can harvest from it makes it more useful than virtually any other choice. I recall seeing something about being able to modify certain aspects of animals generated by Call of the Wild, which could drastically improve the amount we could harvest. We'd probably having enough meat to feed everybody in Refugeville, Preeray and all the Zalugi with more to spare, literal tons of blubber to make oil, baleen which we can use to make baskets and stuff, and we could use all the bone to make primitive weapons and armor. From a single whale we would be virtually swimming in crumbits if we were able to harvest it efficienctly (which considering our lack of manpower and time might be difficult). Plus I'm sure any spare parts would make a pretty good offering to a god.

Since we can abuse the obedience rule for the animals, a spider might be worth it. Spider silk is a pretty hax material since it's great for all kinds of stuff including protection, trapmaking, medicine and adhesives. If we can get a good enough food source for them and just have a few constantly create silk it'd stockpile up pretty fast.

We could MAYBE get venom or poison via milking or whatever but we've got Kori and they can produce way more than a regular animal.
EDIT: It might be a good idea to make a deal with Kori in exchange for a few crumbits or something to have them stockpile poison to coat our weapons with. It'd likely be pretty valuable for trading and would increase combat power by a lot if used effectively.

Also can I just say it'd be dope if we could get the Zalana blessing and have Totango become a full-on murder paladin with the robes. Instant kill attacks with protection against undead would pretty much make them invincible vs any undead to the point where we wouldn't really need anyone else.
Does really cute mice people, vibrant characters/backgrounds and the most adorable art style you've ever seen interest you? Read Great Haven.

Have you ever wanted to save a bunch of kids from dying horribly in a nightmare dreamscape? Read Lucidstuck
(10-22-2018, 06:17 PM)LammarWesley Wrote: »- The others will steal the key and help the prisoners escape!
With this, we will have more time to think about the situation and act.
DO NOT attack the Dermilian scholar as he doesn't have any weapons and doesn't look menacing, we're here to free the prisioners and pick food.

A lone Wolfrunner barks at the guards and pees on one of them. The enraged guard chases. His partner follows him, shouting at him and begging him to come back.

The Wolfrunners waste no time in grabbing the weapons. They take the crossbows and hand the maces over to the prisoners.

The giant scholar surrenders. Your Wolfrunners decide to show mercy to him, and take the key. The prisoners are quickly freed.

The pair of giants return, and as soon as they realize what’s happening, they charge towards the Wolfrunners! The crossbows fire!

Neither of the two guards are killed. The crossbow bolts couldn’t penetrate the armor, but they did manage to break the guards’ shins. They both fall onto the ground. Two more crossbows are aimed at them, and they yield.

The prisoners are freed, and all of the giants are now captives. Curiously, the scholar seems unwilling to stop writing.

[Image: yfBrNz9.jpg]

The Wolfrunners read the report on the table:

Quote:To the Royal Court of His Majesty King Vondar,

I, Count Artimen the Scholar, write the following words for I believe my honest expression is necessary. If I am to be executed, tortured or enslaved for these words, so be it.

The people of Padabon are stronger than Dermilyu. To deny it is delusion. They have more soldiers. More food. More allies. More weapons. More everything. To continue antagonizing them, to continue dismissing their offers for truce, is disastrous.

Yet King Vondar remains adamant that we continue doing what our nation has always done, to conquer and enslave others. If we mindlessly follow this path, the Dermilyu Kingdom will become extinct, our people gone and remembered only by people who hated us.

I will tell you a secret, one King Vondar has known for years:

My father was Count Tyren, but my true mother was a slave, a woman abducted from the south. Her name was Fesi, and her tongue was removed by order of King Vondar. She was then poisoned by my ‘official mother’, Countess Dera. I had only known my true mother for five years. I don’t even know which tribe or nation she came from.

Are you shocked? We have been taught since birth that Dermilians could never ‘mate with the beasts of the land’, that no one could be born from any union between ourselves and other races.

Yet here I am. I am real.

I am the son of a slave, and a Count of noble birth. My great-grandfather was Prince Numan. If King Vondar were to abdicate, I would become the new king of Dermilyu as no other nobles of higher rank survive.

If King Vondar refuses to relinquish his power, then he must die. This much is-

It ends there, unfinished.

A royal claimant! The prisoners are surprised to hear it, but they remember hearing that Count Artimen was one of the ‘gentler’ people in the nobility. The two guards had no idea about this but they do agree that the Dermilyu Kingdom is doomed if it keeps making enemies after suffering catastrophic losses.

The Count asks for permission to speak. The Wolfrunners grant him so.

“I was going to confront the Royal Court by myself and reveal my intentions. In hindsight, that would have just been a suicide mission… but I’ve reached the limits of my patience. However, now that you are here, you could be my accomplices and help me assassinate the king. You help me, and I swear by my Mother and Father, you will be rewarded with a powerful friend for life.”

The Wolfrunners are having an argument about what they should do with Artimen. He could make a useful ally, but they are not sure if they could protect him if they took him in. According to the prisoners, King Vondar was able to hire mercenaries with what little wealth he had. Artimen mentions that about 30 mercenaries remain in his employ.

Alternatively, they could pretend to ransom him, and then assassinate Vondar when he appears to negotiate.

Count Artimen reveals more options:

“You could hide here in Mosstown. When King Vondar and his entourage comes in the morning, I can use the cannon and kill him with one shot. No armor could stand up to a cannonball. If he somehow survives, you can shoot him with the crossbows to finish him off. I have a box of matches in my pockets.”

He shrugs and then says:

“Or... I could just… run away. Hide away, until Vondar dies. Knowing him, he will either by killed by the Signet or die from old age. The man is 89, and not in good health. The Royal Guards are all dead now, thanks to the Signet and other tragedies, but that works in our favor now since they were the most loyal of Vondar’s servants.”

The prisoners are in favor of Count Artimen overthrowing King Vondar, though none of them want to stay to take part in any plan. They want to go southwards to Refugeville. The two wounded guards are on board with the possibility of a new leader, after all the catastrophes they’ve had under Vondar’s leadership.

The plan to kill Vondar with the cannon could work but it’s also very risky. What if you missed, or what if Artimen died in a fight?

What should Refugeville do about Count Artimen and the wounded guards, as well as the recently freed slaves?

Your Wolfrunners are armed with 4 crossbows, while 5 of the prisoners are armed with steel maces.

- Let Count Artimen and the two guards live in Refugeville. Wait for Vondar to die.
- Tell the prisoners to go to Padabon.
- Tell the prisoners to stay in Refugeville.
- Pretend to ransom Artimen, and when Vondar appears to negotiate, kill him.
- Hide in Mosstown. Wait for morning and then kill Vondar with the cannon.
- Bring Count Artimen to Padabon, let the Zalugi protect him.
- Send a letter to Padabon, explaining the situation. Ask them to send an assassin to eliminate Vondar.
- Something else.

>_

SpoilerShow
>Well first and foremost, one simple condition to this: NO more raidings and slavery. As first action fo the new king, All slaves are to be freed. If some slaves have grown attached to their masters, fine but they musst at least still be treated with basic dignity.

(Even if he was tempted to do this from the start if the content of his letter are to be believed, this WILL be a tough sell if the whole Dermilyu society is so deeply built aroudn the idea. Not to mention the freed slaves may not be enclined to be 'nice' to their firmoer captors. SO he'll need all the help he can to majke the trnasition)

>Y'know, it may sound silly but with our 'call of the wild' ability, the best way to kill king Vondar would be to poison the tips of the claws of a bird of prey (from Kori the spider, for example) and then have them scratch him. Even for a giant and no matter how many guard you have, a sudden divefrom above would be VERY hard (if not impossible) to avoid.
(11-01-2018, 08:49 PM)smuchmuch Wrote: »>Well first and foremost, one simple condition to this: NO more raidings and slavery. As first action fo the new king, All slaves are to be freed. If some slaves have grown attached to their masters, fine but they musst at least still be treated with basic dignity.

Count Artimen raises his arm and swears that he will stop their ancient practice of taking thralls. All slaves shall be liberated, and the Dermilyu kingdom, what little there is left of it, will change for the better.

(11-01-2018, 08:49 PM)smuchmuch Wrote: »>Y'know, it may sound silly but with our 'call of the wild' ability, the best way to kill king Vondar would be to poison the tips of the claws of a bird of prey (from Kori the spider, for example) and then have them scratch him. Even for a giant and no matter how many guard you have, a sudden divefrom above would be VERY hard (if not impossible) to avoid.

The Wolfrunners realize they would have a much easier time having animals assassinate the King. They explain to Artimen about their Blessing, Call of the Wild, granted to them by Rimewulf. He is pleasantly surprised, and impressed. They ask him why he is so surprised.

He answers: “I thought all the gods were dead. The Signet sent us raving letters, daring us to pray and perform rituals. We actually did so, and no one answered. We were convinced that the Signet really did succeed in their mission. Does this mean the gods really did abandon us, as the clerics said? That’s… quite sad for us.”

Apparently, the gods haven’t answered the Dermilyu Kingdom’s prayers since the Signet started annihilating them. You cannot help but wonder why.

Holkaborg, Goddess of Madness whispers to you:

“The Signet didn’t kill us, not yet, they just put socks in our mouths. Disgusting mufflers. We heard, could not answer. Dermilyu Kingdom, the Signet took so much of the land, we lost much power. It’s what happens when they infest lands with their soldiers.”

Great, you think to yourself. The Signet can stop gods from answering prayers if their servants cover enough ground. That’s something to worry about.

Holkaborg whispers again:

“By the way, who made the moon? That’s not the same moon, you know? If someone dies on the moon, is the moon haunted? Moon’s haunted. It must be, something died there. We should go to the moon someday.”

You ask what she means by this, but she is silent. You wish Holkaborg didn’t have a fondness for cryptic words. Without thinking, you look at the moon:

[Image: 28gjg1j.jpg]

It looks the same as it ever was. At least, you think so? How will we ever reach it? You admit, you never really thought much of it before.

Your focus returns to the Wolfrunners, now home with their new friends, the freed slaves and the defecting giants. They explain the situation to the other villagers. A few are hesitant to welcome the Dermilians, but they are overruled by the Elder, who implores that your people show mercy. Count Artimen profusely thanks the Elder.

They all seem to be in agreement that they will attempt an assassination on King Vondar in the next day using an animal, with a generous donation of venom from Kori.

[Image: 3rAOGvv.jpg]

The newly-liberated slaves are from Galigo, far to the northwest. They are thankfully able to understand your language, and happily cooperate. Your people let them know they’ve made more space in the basement.

You gained:

1 wheeled Dermilyu cannon
5 bags of gunpowder
5 cannonballs
4 crossbows
16 crossbow bolts
5 steel maces

Refugeville gladly takes the new weapons, especially the cannon. A small argument erupts, as your citizens quarrel over where the cannon should be placed and how it should be used.

The Dermilyu cannon is powerful, enough to blow a hole through steel plate at 1 kilometer range. It’s fairly accurate, though difficult to fire if it rains. It has wheels and chains to make it easier to move

You, personally, believe that the cannon should:

- Be brought along on expeditions
- Be hidden in the basement, to be used only in emergencies
- Placed atop the walls around Refugeville
- Be stored as an investment, this thing is worth 4000 crumbits
- Something else

>_

SpoilerShow
Man is refugeville looking populated....

Does beg some things to consider tho.

So far we have survived by being hidden and because our town looked on the surface at least decentely like it was abandoned when everyone pulled in the ceilar. That's what protected us from that tree porcelain head abomination who came to harvest the giant soul.

If we install the canon. Hell, just if we keep growing both in impotance and in number as fast as we do... this will be an option for much longer.
Also if we keep growing in population like for example, by accepting all the new slaves we freed, food may become an issue.
Right now I think we should be fine, and some population couldn't hurt. Assuming they even all want to stay here. After all maybe sompe will want to go back where they came from or to the closest bigger villages.

I say we stash the canon in the ceilar for now.
I mean that thing would require a tower or at least elevated position of sorts and some training from the operators to be maned with any sort of efficiency anyway aso untill that's provided and build, the crossbow and mace will do for most threat.
Can the canon fire non metal canonballs ? (stone canonballscan be a thing) that could be good for training or even jsut against softer target to avoid wasting those precious metal shots. (I mean yes metal balls are usualy reusable bu y'know you still gota find them and carry them... heavy heavy.)

I think we could also reinforce the pallisade a bit, just the bottom for starters with some stones. They can be reused and it shoudln't look too consicious.

We may want to talk to the count Artimen about future cooperation:

1) First we should send some message to the Padabon about our little power play. Maybe not give the details (what if the king has spies ?) but a general gist of what we're trying to achieve and the consequences.

Should the animal assassination suceed, it's goog they know about the promess of reform from the Dermilyu, so they can get the word out and peace can be brokered. After all otherwise in the weakened state they are in, some tribes might be tempted to copletely finish the Dermilyus once and for all while they are so weakened.

And if the assassinationa atempt fail... well not only should the good count be assured safe passage if they consider exile, we also ay require assistance in case the kings ever end up at our doorstep with his 30 mercenaries army (.. which honnestly we could probaly take on with the people we have but why risk it ?)

2)If the reformed Dermilyu intend to keep holding the God Box village (or at leat kep it monster free) then perhaps we could install some of our population there as well. The god box village is only a few hours away and has a fully built forge and lobrary building among others. The most interesting is the forge as it's the one who would require the most complex architectural considerations (I mean technically any building can be a library as long as it can hold a couple bookcase, a forge needs some plce for it's furnace and apropriate aeration)
Getting the God box village forge running spares us to have to build one inr efugeville from scratch and the product of the forging will benefit both our peoples, as well as by association probaaly go a long way to help negociating the new peace with the other village. (who may require some convincing about the new found good faith)

3)In general with their numbers decimated and so much of their land covered in Signet agents, and no more armies of slaves to take care of most of the ork,the Dermilyu may want to regroup and rellocate in a few close location. They might even find some of the smaller people can help them and do willingly what they used slaves to do in exhange of protection and the use of their great strength.
Given our numbers, it may be worth expanding deeper into the underground. Provided we devise a means to keep the airflow circulating and fresh, that is. Thus, the population taking a preliminary look into how to best go about this seems warranted.

As for the cannon, keep it in storage for the time being. I can imagine some things we could do with rotating platforms and such, but there are more pressing matters to resolve first. (Though, perhaps the people could examine it further? It's bulk prohibits general use, but if there's the possibility of a miniature, hand-held or otherwise portable cannon in the future, it couldn't hurt to start learning now.)
Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
I agree with keeping the cannon in storage, along with further expanding underground. And perhaps make a nice little storage area of sorts may be in order now that we have the Cooler Crystal, while we're at it.
Ask count Artimen what they have discovered about the God Box.
(02-19-2019, 07:34 AM)Ten11 Wrote: »Ask count Artimen what they have discovered about the God Box.

Come to think of it, we should ask the Dermylu's here if they were the one who trashed the brainbox and what was here too.
We know the Hate box contain dangerous prisoners, so it "generates" and contain "hate"
The flesh box did contain and generate flesh... in the forms of ghouls (though of it used bodies I guess it more trnaformed flesh)
We haven't seen the plant box but from what we could gather it basicaly turned a forest into a big box of wood so once again some kind of genration/transform we'll have to check it at some point)

This has ominious implications for what the 'god box' will eventualy be all about. Maybe some prison for gods like the forst was for the guardian spirirt, perhaps even worse.
(02-17-2019, 11:40 PM)smuchmuch Wrote: »I say we stash the canon in the ceilar for now.

The villagers decide to put the cannon underground, until they find a good reason to use it. As it is, using a loud weapon like this could just draw more bad attention from The Signet.

(02-19-2019, 07:34 AM)Ten11 Wrote: »Ask count Artimen what they have discovered about the God Box.

(02-26-2019, 09:30 PM)smuchmuch Wrote: »Come to think of it, we should ask the Dermylu's here if they were the one who trashed the brainbox and what was here too.

Artimen’s eyes widen. He asks for a moment to gather his thoughts, and in the darkness of the night he tells your Eldest:

“The God Box… it housed an infant.”

An infant? Artimen continues.

“When Vondar found it, he thought it was magical, and ordered the soldiers to take it to base. As far as we can tell, it had nothing special. A little baby girl, no magical or divine powers of any kind, but Vondar is convinced that it is an infant deity.”

Holkaborg whispers to your ear:

“A god imprisoned with the power of time… seek her. Let her grow and see your people as family.”

Your Eldest asks,

“What about the Brain Box?”

Artimen takes another moment to remember, and he says:

“The Brain Box contained an enormous brain, about the size of three of our people. We brought that back to base as well. Vondar believed it contained important information… but all it did was drive our scholars into madness. Anyone who peered too far into the brain’s mind would… start seeing a staircase.

A staircase to the sky. A tall staircase made of metal that just keeps going until it touches the moon. It’s all in their minds, of course, but the two scholars we hired to study the big brain, they became convinced that the staircase was real, and that it moved and talked to them.”

The Eldest asks him,

“What did the staircase in their minds say to them?”

Artimen is grimacing. Clearly he’s seen those two scholars, and memories of witnessing their descent into madness affected him. Still, he manages to answer.

“It said, that was the way to the truth. To go up the staircase was to find secrets hidden from everyone, and at the very end, you’d see the ‘cracks in the sky’. ‘The higher you go, the more you will see’, it said.

The two scholars then tried to climb up, but they failed because their feet couldn’t reach anything. After a few hours they started to try and build the staircase, except… well, they couldn’t find any appropriate materials so they just started taking buildings and vehicles apart to make the foundations. Vondar ordered them imprisoned when they started taking weapons and armor, and I imagine they’re now obsessed with trying to make a new staircase out of the bars and chains.

That big brain we found, it’s been nothing but trouble. Strange thing is, it doesn’t rot. We’ve left it in the sun but it never decomposed. Doesn’t dry up. Doesn’t burn. Doesn’t melt. Weird thing. Scary thing.”

Satisfied with Artimen’s answers, the Eldest asks everyone to go to sleep. A new day comes tomorrow. Everyone in the village is tired and so they happily go underground to slumber.

You do not sleep, but your mind wanders. Your thoughts are drawn to future plans to inform the Zalugi on recent events, and then you remember what Holkaborg and Artimen said, about the moon and the…

Oh no.

The staircase.

[Image: 9Qqb0LE.jpg]

The staircase that goes all the way to the moon.

[Image: DdFtpXP.jpg]

It’s there? In the village? No, that is not possible. This is not real. Your spirit is strong enough to resist the temptation to believe that it exists, despite your non-corporeal vision telling you it is.

Why are you seeing this?

As if on cue, the staircase itself answers.

“SEEKER OF TRUTH. YOUR SOUL VIBRATES WITH TREMENDOUS ENERGY. YOU ARE AWARE OF MY EXISTENCE, AND SO YOU ARE LINKED TO ME, A GOD.”

What? This thing is a deity?

“I AM TANGGARA, THE GOD OF TRUTH. I HAVE BEEN SCREAMING AT MORTALS EVER SINCE THE FIRST MORTAL ASKED ‘where did The Signet come from?’ BUT SADLY THEIR EARS ARE NOT VERY GOOD AND THEIR MINDS BREAK WHEN I MAKE THEIR MINDS SWALLOW.”

You cannot help but ask why the God of Truth is taking the form of a gigantic staircase.

“BECAUSE THIS IS THE WAY TO UNDERSTAND THE TRUTH, THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION EVERYONE IN THE WORLD HAS ASKED. MY NATURE COMPELS ME TO TELL THE TRUTH AND SAY IT AS LOUDLY AND AS OBVIOUSLY AS POSSIBLE. HOLKABORG HATES ME FOR SHE LOVES PUZZLES AND CRYPTIC RESPONSES.”

You grab this opportunity to ask a direct question: What is up there on the moon?

“I DO NOT KNOW. MY KNOWLEDGE AND CAPACITY TO FIND THE TRUTH ONLY REACHES AS FAR UP AS THE SKY CAN REACH, AND THE MOON IS BEYOND THAT, BUT I KNOW: THE SIGNET’S ORIGINS ARE TIED TO THE MOON. I KNOW BECAUSE I HEAR ALL WORDS, AND THE SIGNET’S MINIONS KNOW: THE MOON IS CONNECTED. BUILD THIS THING. BUILD THIS STAIRCASE SO PEOPLE WILL FINALLY STOP ASKING.”

You tell Tanggara that if all this is key to understanding the truth and the Signet’s origins, you promise that you will build this staircase, but right now you do not have the resources to build this gigantic structure. Tanggara’s form shakes, but he answers with a kind tone, and this time has stopped shouting.

“Thank you. Thank you for finally understanding. I am so tired, so tired of so many mortals asking me where did the Signet come from and I did everything to answer but their fragile bodies and minds couldn’t understand my message. Maybe I should talk to more ghosts. And yes. You speak true. You do not have the resources to build this staircase yet. I will stay in this form, as a reminder. After I disappear from your sight, please build a shrine to me as soon as you can, for I will happily answer more questions in exchange for sacrifices. Send me non-living objects. Stones, metals, anything that cannot lie. A thousand sticks or a thousand rocks. Farewell, Guardian Ghost. Find the truth.”

With that, the vision of the staircase fades. You are relieved that you didn’t end up gaining an obsession with building a ridiculously tall structure.

A new dawn arrives. Market is open!

[Image: E3cYqQi.jpg]

Kori has some interesting new items to sell, though her old stock is gone. You can sell some things from your stockpile to get more crumbits.

Kori’s market:

- Gunpowder: 10 crumbits for 1 bag, 20 bags available.
Useful for making bombs, reloading cannons and muskets. Keep dry in a safe place!

- Crystal Shrine: 30 crumbits, 2 available.
A simple shrine. Once placed in your village, you can devote it to a deity and then make sacrifices to gain blessings.

- Copy of Hildevert’s Journal: Dermilyu Horizon: 10 crumbits, 1 available.
Hildevert records what he saw at the home of the Dermilyu people.

- Chicken Egg: 8 crumbits, 3 available.
Eat it or hatch it to get another chicken.

- Zalugi Fireball Wand: 100 crumbits, 1 available.
A magic wand that is tuned to cast fireballs. It drains stamina from the user, and the average person should be able to launch three fireballs. Overuse can cause fainting and heat stroke.

Ogot also has things to sell, though he informs your people that prices have changed due to current demands. He seems to have other buyers through the merchant’s tunnel network:

- Stones: 3 crumbits for 1 stone, 300 available.

- Branches: 2 crumbits for 1 branch, 300 available.

- Smithing Manual: 20 crumbits, 1 available.
Contains instructions on how to make various metal tools and weapons, as well as how to make a good forge.

The Crystal Shrines interest you. You recall which deities you haven’t built a shrine for yet:

Arara, the Ruined God of Fire.

”Fire is warmth, warmth brings life, but too much can harm, so control fire.” - Arara’s first words to mortals

Though his brain was stolen by the Signet, his mind will slowly return through sacrifice, though the sacrifice must be great to replenish the mind of a god. Dedicating this shrine to him will allow the people to sacrifice for protection from fires and sunny days. The favored god of the Zalugi people.

Zalana, the Goddess of Justice.

”Justice, fairness, mercy, these things you cannot touch but you know you need them just as much as you need food.” - Zalana’s words to Cromin the Seeker.

She grants powerful blessings for fighting the undead and the Signet, but these blessings will only be upheld if the people do not commit the sin of taking slaves or murdering enemies that have surrendered, for Zalana despises these acts. Dedicating this shrine to her means that all undead will die at the first strike with a weapon, and the Signet cannot take anyone without them suffering casualties.

Orkonas, the Goddess of Wealth.

”As long as money exists, money has power, and as long as that power continues so shall my followers prosper!” - Orkonas’s promise to her believers.

She will only bless those who give her a piece of silver or gold every day, for that is her fee since the birth of time. Dedicating a shrine to her increases the chances of merchants to travel here and buy or sell goods. Her followers gain a permanent discount on all goods, the amount of which depends on the person selling.

Alstalti, Goddess of Healing.

”There is no disease without cure.” - Alstalti’s promise to mortals.

One of the newest gods, Alstalti has only existed for two centuries. She grants protection from disease and the spoilage of food. She will also share the secrets of medicine to her most devout worshippers, granting them the ability to help people survive even the worst injury.

Bidabog, the Dragon Goddess.

”I go to whoever needs me most.” - Bida’s declaration to the world.

Bidabog travels around the mortal world in the form of a dragon. Bidabog’s blessings are very direct: She will come to aid your people in battle and can grant them dragonscale armor, though the dragonscale cannot ever be removed without surgery.

According to the Preeray, Bidabog is Rimewulf’s secret fiancé who hid the engagement so the Signet could not anticipate the coming of the Dragonwolf. Your connection to Rimewulf confirms that this is true: He hopes to wed Bidabog someday, fulfilling their shared plan of granting a Dragonwolf Sentinel to the world.

The God from Nowhere.

”Make an offering to me and I care not if you insult me.” - The God From Nowhere

Highly unpredictable, the God from Nowhere was born from nothing but the rules of the universe which allowed his existence to come to be. He was born from chaos, and so chaos itself is a part of him. Sacrifices made to him can equally bring blessings as much as curses… but he is not without sentiment or feeling. Maybe you can influence him?

Tanggara, the God of Truth.

”I can never lie.” - Tanggara’s basic nature, uttered the moment he existed.

The God of Truth, sacrificing to him will grant your people an edge in trade and negotiations, as well as scientific research. However, he demands huge amounts of objects for blessings, at least a thousand objects, so worshipping him is expensive.

Count Artimen shares the knowledge of Brigax, a god he personally worships.

Brigax, God of Wind.

”Every time you breathe, that is me.” - Brigax’s proclamation to the first mortal.

Brigax was one of the first gods to appear when the world took shape. Brigax has control over wind currents, tornadoes, anything that involves moving air. Sacrificing to him grants you blessings that not only send disasters to your foes, but also protect you from poisonous gases.

What will your people buy and sell this morning?

>_

SpoilerShow
(You've got a tag error around Zalana's quote.)

A crossbow has a value of 200 crumbits, and we have four? Selling one seems like a good idea to me, then. That would easily let us buy both shrines and still have plenty left over. Buying the journal and smithing manual with the rest seems good.

Thinking our best shrine options are Zalana, Alstalti, and Bidabog - the last one not so much for the direct benefits (though a dragon goddess helping out in battle is certainly cool) but rather because of our existing connection to Rimewulf. Maybe if we worship her we can help the Dragonwolf come into being somehow.

The staircase god doesn't seem very practical right now, we'd need a reliable source of materials. On the other hand, he did ask us to build a shrine to him as soon as we could, and a direct request from a god should be taken seriously.

I suppose Bidabog and Tanggara are the most interesting options from a narrative perspective, Zalana aligns with our principles, and Alstalti is just generally useful. Personally I'm inclined to go for Bidabog and Alstalti at the moment.
Hmmm.
Tanggara interests me, but their demand requires a resource income we simply do not have.
Orkonas however, would assist in that via the increased flow of merchants... But do we have any silver or gold coins?
Both of them together should pay for themselves, and cover their own fees quickly enough. Still, quite pricy up front.
Of course, we don't, strictly speaking, have to make a full offering to them the moment their shrines are established, but it would be rather a waste of a shrine...

...Though, I've a funny feeling about the sacrifices Tanggara requests. Perhaps they aim to build the tower themselves?
Might appreciate proper building materials if so, or might not be too concerned. Suppose we can ask them about that.

Anyways, I'm in favor of getting the two shrines.
Preferentially, I'd take Alstalti and Brigax, as they don't seem to have a high upfront cost, or particularly strict requirements.
Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.