Post making contest 1.0

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post making contest 1.0
RE: Post making contest
But it's still not really fair, since it's not a universally-available option.
[Image: qdb.png]
(05-04-2016, 07:17 AM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »I say nay. I might shift if we agreed to conditions that they might be constrained by, but without such negotiations I say nay. The core problem is that they cannot work as a puzzle.

I also do not want further rules which relate to post numbers. The reason for this is simple: I believe every post should have a chance to win. Once you start making the post, then it passes or fails; but if the post number is part of the rules, then many posts are invalid before anyone has even made them. I do not believe this is good for the game. For similar reasons, I think posting time should be off limits.

Including the post number in your post is actually not a problem in this regard, as every post has a chance to pass or fail it. It is, however, a rule that is hard to stumble onto.

It is also good for people to clarify their rulings on tags/URLs. I would suggest this as a basic guideline and people can say if they are doing something else:
"Nothing within tags or URLs counts unless the rule specifically relates to the contents of tags or URLs".

This is a lot of writing considering I'm just kind of tossing my thoughts out and it's 1 AM, why am I still awake.

This post breaks all the rules!

(05-04-2016, 07:21 AM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »I absolutely agree every post should have the opportunity to pass every rule. Rules which are 'post number must be prime' for example are out, but i think if it was used in the manner of 'post must include post number in the post' thats fine because every post has the possibility of that. So long as we're not all just clamouring for one specific numbered post then I'm okay with most stuff.

Subjective rules aren't my favourites but without knowing what they are it's tough to say I'd be opposed to them.

This post breaks rules 1, 3, 4, and 5.

(05-04-2016, 07:26 AM)Solaris Wrote: »hi im new to this, i dont think ill be very good at it though.

(05-04-2016, 07:31 AM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »Rules about signature are trickier, but everyone who uses a signature has the option to not use it. Plus, as the rule has already been used, it's unlikely to be repeated.

Even if it is, I made a post without a signature precisely to test that in this round.

On the other hand, rules relating to avatar or user title are more trouble for someone to adhere to if they aren't already. And username is just flat out unreasonable in a serious round, as it requires administrative action to change.

Well, there's one potential exception to that I can think of.

(05-04-2016, 07:32 AM)Chwoka Wrote: »But it's still not really fair, since it's not a universally-available option.

Hello I am new to this, I do not think I would be very good at it though.
Standing here, The way ahead's becoming clear
All across these new frontiers
In my hands I hold the ones I love
Walk forward through the cold dawn
Always to new horizons
(05-04-2016, 08:07 AM)Solaris Wrote: »Hello I am new to this, I do not think I would be very good at it though.

I think your strategy is rather sound! Unfortunately, this post breaks all the rules.

This post, which I am making, in case you were wondering, breaks all rules save Rule 2.
My strategy would work better if I had any patience to keep it up lmao. I probably also shouldn't have joined in on the round after Akumu's because it is like, that sure is a thing to beat.
Always to new horizons
(05-04-2016, 08:13 AM)Solaris Wrote: »My strategy would work better if I had any patience to keep it up lmao. I probably also shouldn't have joined in on the round after Akumu's because it is like, that sure is a thing to beat.

New rounds tend to start pretty low-key, until a bunch of nerds congregate on discord and work each other into a rules-cracking frenzy of bad posts and worse decisions.

Your post breaks all the rules, jsyk.
RE: Post making contest!!!!!!
Does this post break any rules?

Probably a good handful, really.
[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
It sucks bc nerd games means that you have to up the difficulty but I can't really, figure anything out lmao

ohwell Minion
Always to new horizons
(05-04-2016, 08:17 AM)earthexe Wrote: »Does this post break any rules?

Probably a good handful, really.

Indeed! A full handful, five rules broken.

(05-04-2016, 08:23 AM)Solaris Wrote: »It sucks bc nerd games means that you have to up the difficulty but I can't really, figure anything out lmao

ohwell Minion

I don't know how much this info will help you, but your post breaks every rule.
Alright, time to give it another shot, then. Maybe this one will do better.

I can only hope so!
[Image: tN4CQnw.png][Image: 6miAxpY.png][Image: xrt4V73.png]
[Image: LAbvoew.png][Image: kHYNSyp.png][Image: 2xEY8jD.png]
everybody brace yourself for

a relaxing puzzle game with friends!
Yay! I was the winner!

Username rules don't seem too bad, what's so wrong with "must quote RL and not use a p"?

But I agree that, a sporting type of rule is one that doesn't pre-dispose posts to having an easier or impossible chance at breaking the rules.

(I'm also not a huge fan of self-referential rules, but that's just cus they're haaaaard.)
(05-04-2016, 08:35 AM)earthexe Wrote: »Alright, time to give it another shot, then. Maybe this one will do better.

I can only hope so!

A marginal improvement! This post breaks rules 1, 3, 4, and 5.

(05-04-2016, 09:13 AM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »everybody brace yourself for

a relaxing puzzle game with friends!

(05-04-2016, 11:38 AM)Wheat Wrote: »
(05-04-2016, 04:47 AM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »
(04-30-2016, 06:05 PM)Wheat Wrote: »[Image: qBbAOx.gif]

Thank you for making this, Wheat.

You're welcome!

(05-04-2016, 02:44 AM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »either fogel's a snake now or a bomb and i'm scared either way

Why would you be scared of fogel as a snake, you have mastery over snakes from the chestergame.

(05-04-2016, 05:35 AM)Akumu Wrote: »HERE ARE THE RULES

1. Must contain a quote of another post in the thread, as determined by PID in the quote tag.

2. The no shit-posting rule: must contain a substantive reply to the quoted post, as judged by me.

3. Post must render all characters, excluding spaces, in the username of the author of the quoted post, outside of quote tags.

4. Post must not render any characters, excluding spaces, from the post author's own username, outside of quote tags, except for where this conflicts with rule 3.

5. Must include a non-ET-emote animated GIF.

In my uponion Rule 2 conflicted with rules 3 and 4 too much because it's hard for a person to not shitpost and form substantive sentences of words when they're simultaneously not allowed to use many basic letters of the alphabet while required to use others

I don't think we should have rules about author usernames because 1. no one figures it out; if you have hard things with sliding variables you have to at least heavily guide/hint people on that rule in order for it to be a puzzle to solve instead of something you brute force and 2. it favors some people over others.

In my unpinion, this post follow the spirit, if not quite the letter, of Rule 5. As such, it fails to follow a single rule!

(05-04-2016, 12:01 PM)btp Wrote: »Yay! I was the winner!

Username rules don't seem too bad, what's so wrong with "must quote RL and not use a p"?

But I agree that, a sporting type of rule is one that doesn't pre-dispose posts to having an easier or impossible chance at breaking the rules.

(I'm also not a huge fan of self-referential rules, but that's just cus they're haaaaard.)

Fun fact!Fact Seagull

This post passes some rule(s)!

SpoilerShow
(05-04-2016, 12:20 PM)btp Wrote: »Fun fact!Fact Seagull

This post passes some rule(s)!

SpoilerShow

Actually, you'll find that it passes none of the rules!
(05-04-2016, 01:00 PM)Wheat Wrote: »

BIG TIME POST COMIN' THROUGH!!

This post breaks every rule, except for rule 4. Which it passes.
weird bug
Players Hate Him!
Man aggravates online friends using this one weird rule!
Click here to find out more!
(05-04-2016, 01:49 PM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »
Players Hate Him!

It me.
Yeah, i feel like username related rules are little silly.

like rule 4 needed to have you exclude letters from your name? so with btp, that would be, real easy, but with someone whose name is 'literally the alphabet' that would be hard, even with the 'except if doing so breaks rule 3'
so, no on ANY username rules,,,,, that i can think of at least.
edit: well, maybe rules like "say the previous person's username, or your own username" but when going down into specific letters and stuff maybe a bit too much.

yes for post number rules... but only if every post COULD win if done right.
I think the main issue with username-based rules is using the entire username.

"First letter" or "length of username" as variables are okay, or even "say your username somewhere in the post", but restricting every single letter just disadvantages people with longer usernames.

Also let's be honest, our early shitposts that round were way more distinctive and less repetitive than a lot of the posts that started passing Rule 2. BUDDY.

This suggests that the best way to encourage new meme generation (and what else are we trying to accomplish at this point?) is to change rulesets frequently rather than leaving people stumped for sixteen pages.

Or, I guess, to frustrate them so much that Bob tries to impersonate Akumu and Shredded starts a new "round". I still don't know what Rule 6 is.
Does your band play at the Space Consortium?

(I have sadly forgotten the band name since last night. I apologize.)
(05-04-2016, 01:23 PM)Not The Author Wrote: »weird bug

Players Hate Him!

This post breaks all the rules, except for rule 4!

(05-04-2016, 01:54 PM)Akumu Wrote: »
Players Hate Him!

It me.

This post also breaks all the rules that aren't rule 4, which it passes!

(05-04-2016, 02:31 PM)Crowstone Wrote: »Yeah, i feel like username related rules are little silly.

like rule 4 needed to have you exclude letters from your name? so with btp, that would be, real easy, but with someone whose name is 'literally the alphabet' that would be hard, even with the 'except if doing so breaks rule 3'

(05-04-2016, 02:36 PM)Crowstone Wrote: »so, no on ANY username rules,,,,, that i can think of at least.
edit: well, maybe rules like "say the previous person's username, or your own username" but when going down into specific letters and stuff maybe a bit too much.

yes for post number rules... but only if every post COULD win if done right.

(05-04-2016, 02:39 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »I think the main issue with username-based rules is using the entire username.

"First letter" or "length of username" as variables are okay, or even "say your username somewhere in the post", but restricting every single letter just disadvantages people with longer usernames.

Also let's be honest, our early shitposts that round were way more distinctive and less repetitive than a lot of the posts that started passing Rule 2. BUDDY.

This suggests that the best way to encourage new meme generation (and what else are we trying to accomplish at this point?) is to change rulesets frequently rather than leaving people stumped for sixteen pages.

Or, I guess, to frustrate them so much that Bob tries to impersonate Akumu and Shredded starts a new "round". I still don't know what Rule 6 is.

(05-04-2016, 03:28 PM)Wheat Wrote: »rule six is satori

(05-04-2016, 03:34 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »Does your band play at the Space Consortium?

(I have sadly forgotten the band name since last night. I apologize.)

This post also breaks all the rules!
I absolutely agree every post should have the opportunity to pass every rule!
Rules which are 'post number must be prime' for example are out, but i think if it was used in the manner of 'post must include post number in the post' thats fine because every post has the possibility of that. So long as we're not all just clamouring for one specific numbered post then I'm okay with most stuff!
Subjective rules aren't my favourites but without knowing what they are it's tough to say I'd be opposed to them!