Who wants to make Mario levels with really weird names?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Because it so happens that I'm organizing a project to do that.

More detailed explanation: There's a reasonably popular Let's Player who goes by raocow. There was a contest run on his forum last year, MAGL X, that involved making levels in the Super Mario Bros. X level editor from a randomly-selected set of five names. This year, there's another one of those contests, which raocow has just started playing through.

Now, the thing is, all of the entrants (and there were a ridiculous number of them) had five names to pick from - more if they requested a new set of names. And some people got names but didn't end up making a level after all. That's a lot of names that didn't get used to make levels.

Which brings me to MAGL X: The Lost Levels. Basically, this is a collaborative project where people look through those thousands of unused names, pick out ones that sound interesting, and make levels out of them. Then we put those all together into a game. Somehow I ended up as one of the head organizers for it.

If this sounds like a thing you want to play around with, feel free to sign up. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
RE: Who wants to make Mario levels with really weird names?
You must be registered to view this content.
You want the devkit in this thread, which includes both the default SMBX editor and the superior-for-editing PGE editor.

(It's not better for playtesting, though, at least not yet. You want to do that in regular SMBX.)

There's also fancy coding stuff you can do, which I personally haven't looked into just yet. It's not a requirement to use it, but obviously you're welcome to take a shot at it if you want.
me i want to! but you knew that!
May I see a screenie?
This thread has screenshots of in-progress levels.
I'm considering joining this (might as well, I already entered MAGLX 2~) but I'm a little busy with like, art stuff and trying to focus on rpgmaker games? Still considering though.
I'm not good with the custom code stuff though so if I joined you'd be getting a pretty vanilla level from me... "vanilla" code-wise, I'd def change the graphics.

So what I mean is, lemme finish a bit of stuff I've got going on currently and I'll probably ask for a specific level name later. :v
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
(07-06-2015, 04:59 PM)KittenEater Wrote: »I'm not good with the custom code stuff though so if I joined you'd be getting a pretty vanilla level from me... "vanilla" code-wise, I'd def change the graphics.

That's not a big deal, I haven't really gotten into learning the ins and outs of the coding at all. I might at some point, but right now I'm content to see what I can do without it.