Is Undertale the new Homestuck?

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Is all over my tumblr dashboard and people are making trollsonas

What is the big deal? I saw the pilot and first episode some time ago and didn't see anything super special.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
RE: Is Steven Universe the new Homestuck?
You must be registered to view this content.
You must be registered to view this content.
banned
ok but more seriously steven universe isnt the new homestuck anymore than dangan ronpa or attack on titan or off or free or whatever were the new homestuck

its a popular show on a big network created by a woman with charming messages for kids and cool sequences and mysteries for older than kids

last week there were six new episodes/season finale so everyone got super hyped and involved and thats why its gone from "occasional topic" to "no one is shutting up about it"
also vegeta only as a buff woman with a hammer pompadour showed up so like,
Yeah i think i already know the entire premise of that episode just from tumblr, Solly.

(03-18-2015, 06:04 AM)Solaris Wrote: »last week there were six new episodes/season finale so everyone got super hyped and involved and thats why its gone from "occasional topic" to "no one is shutting up about it"

This is a good explanation, i wasn't aware of this.

I was only joking when making the comparison to Homestuck, but i recently learned that it's on pause or whatever and SU has been in my dash non-stop for a few days so i was reminded of that, specially with the gem fursonas.

We should make EAGLESONA WEEK/MONTH/YEAR.
(03-18-2015, 06:10 AM)Wheat Wrote: »it is only a homestuck if it eats itself in a feedback circle of :

input from the minority of viewers/fans that are hardcore fans -> newest ep/update ripe with fan provocation (can be positive or negative provocation) that may distance casual viewers and further attract hardcore fans -> intensified fan inputting (since they know it has an effect) -> more provocation etc etc.

it's too early to say if it's going the fanservice ouroborus route, but I'd guess thre's less chance because it has multiple people in control to edit and quality check it hours after an idea pops into creators' heads so whims are less likely

is onion an onion
signature
by the way i am into crazy supernatural monsters but witches look too normal looking for me and i'm wonder if there's a cool catchall name for shape-shifting people-eating monsters like TitanParasyteGhoulers. I know Gems can shapeshift, but do they have an insatiable craving for human flesh? Maybe I'd be able to get into it if they did.
signature
Elsens count even though they don't eat people because they're cool
signature
I only saw "Is Steven Universe the..." on the forum main page and knew the rest was going to be "new Homestuck"
There's one convention a year in my city and this year i was working there on the NZ comics stall

Saw some of the old chchstuck folks from back in the day. The youngest ones have just finished high school, and we saw a new generation of homestuck cosplayers coming through. They talked to one of them and she'd just turned 14!

It was kind of cute and also i feel very old
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
Is Hawkspace the new Homestuck?
(03-19-2015, 06:35 AM)Coldblooded Wrote: »Is Hawkspace the new Homestuck?

qft
(03-19-2015, 06:36 AM)Wheat Wrote: »
(03-19-2015, 06:35 AM)Coldblooded Wrote: »Is Hawkspace the new Homestuck?

can confirm

Lies. Everyone knows Hawkspace is the new Paradox Space. Although, I can understand your confusion.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
(03-19-2015, 06:01 AM)Wheat Wrote: »
(03-19-2015, 02:12 AM)Geoluhread Wrote: »by the way i am into crazy supernatural monsters but witches look too normal looking for me and i'm wonder if there's a cool catchall name for shape-shifting people-eating monsters like TitanParasyteGhoulers. I know Gems can shapeshift, but do they have an insatiable craving for human flesh? Maybe I'd be able to get into it if they did.
WHY DON'T YOU POST YOUR LICHSONA.

They can do magic but are made from transformed dead people and consume other people's essences

i can't wait for the skeleton war
signature
(03-18-2015, 06:10 AM)Wheat Wrote: »it is only a homestuck if it eats itself in a feedback circle of :

input from the minority of viewers/fans that are hardcore fans -> newest ep/update ripe with fan provocation (can be positive or negative provocation) that may distance casual viewers and further attract hardcore fans -> intensified fan inputting (since they know it has an effect) -> more provocation etc etc.

it's too early to say if it's going the fanservice ouroborus route, but I'd guess thre's less chance because it has multiple people in control to edit and quality check it hours after an idea pops into creators' heads so whims are less likely

also if it's just a function of some customizable characters being made, looks like somebody missed WITCHSONA WEEK

just gonna pop in with some srs bsns and say that Wheat has perfectly summed up exactly my problem with homestuck which was something ive been trying to put my finger on for the longest time now.

i mean, i like homestucks characters and art a lot, and i like the sense of humor and all, it's just always seemed a bit... masturbatory. but yeah the ouroboros metaphor works perfectly here, in how hussie has gone too far to appeal to only specific fans, and those are the ones who contribute to the plot through idk fanart and memes and shit.

anyways sorry for the homestuck mini-review but it had to be said.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
I think for me the defining thing about the Homestuck fandom isn't the ouroborusity, but just the pervasiveness. I can't think of another fandom that's pushed itself as aggressively as Homestuck and MLP did. (Although I'm seeing less of that now, so maybe it's not as excessive? It might just be the particular corners of the internet I hang out in these days, though.)

Steven Universe is all over Tumblr, but I'm not seeing it all over entirely different forums that happen to have a lot of Steven Universe fans. So it doesn't seem to be going that route - it's just a thing that a lot of people like.

On the other hand, maybe Tumblr is just providing an outlet for most of the fans so they don't feel as compelled to bring it all over every forum they go to and this also might be part of why Homestuck and MLP don't feel quite as "everywhere" to me these days - the people who obsess the most are doing that on Tumblr now and less of it makes its way to forums. But that's just me musing and for all I know if I were on the right - or wrong? - forums I'd be seeing way more of it.
It has definitely died out quite a bit but seeing SU all over tumblr reminded me of the dark times when every reblog had an unrelated HS gif.
The fandom still exists but since it stopped updating it's died down a whole lot. Relatedly, thats why the steven universe fandom seemed so huge recently: 6 episodes over 5 days, 2 of which had HUGE plot things happening which kept the conversation going. Virtually every second HS update was an oh wow look at this new big plot thing, so.
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
What's a masturbatory?
signature
It's a word we don't use around our parents
~◕ w◕~
(03-19-2015, 06:26 AM)Wheat Wrote: »Retweeting and retweeting in the widening blogosphere
The hawk cannot find itself in the hawkspace;
Things fall apart; my tumblr cannot hold more than 50 followers;
Meme anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-swapped tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of goodposting is drowned;
The best lack marketability, while the worst
ship with passionate intensity.

And what New Homestuck, its hour come at last,
Slouches toward Deviantart to be born?

carve it into a mountainside. this warning must be preserved for future generations
seriously though steven universe is really good and gay and it deserves all the popularity its getting
steven rocks and the unvierse gems is my favourite