"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)

"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
RE: "I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
https://infinitybiscuit.tumblr.com/post/...ermark-943
Yeah, pretty much exactly that. I am a typographic bigot [Image: fhFT66L.gif]

(08-27-2013, 07:50 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Why are your apostrophes curved. Would you not have to go out of your way to type them like that, or do you have a nonstandard keyboard?

I have always wondered this about curvy apostrophe typers.

This is not on topic at all.
Can’t speak for anyone else who does this, but I use the “U.S. Extended” keyboard layout in OS X (particularly because I have often needed to type strange diacritics), and that gets switched to other languages fairly often.

And the only reason to learn other languages, of course, is to eat weird foods. Clearly.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
I've always liked it in languages where the quotes were visibly different, like in German where the open quote is on the bottom or Japanese where they're 180-flipped L brackets
holy shit i'm poor but i can eat?

uh punctuations are cool too wait what chat are we in again
I think I just accidentally invented a chili while experimenting with my beans and rice and I really hope I remember everything I put into it because it's pretty good.
I wonder what cumin can’t turn into chili.

Hmm... this experiment could be dangerous; don’t be surprised if I don’t come back for a while.

e: DVD CHILI NOT POSSIBLE ABORT
In case anyone's curious and has the patience to work through my style of "recipe":

Dice up half a big onion (I used white) and sweat it in olive oil until it's nice and soft, and then pour in a can of dark kidney and a can of black beans, drained but not washed. Then pour in a can of pasta sauce (I just used cheap shit since I was gonna spice it anyway) and the following spices:

A lot:
red pepper flake
basil
celery seed
curry powder

some:
fennel
turmeric
garlic

a bit:
cumin
oregano
lemon zest

Mix it all up and boil it under a barely-open lid on medium until it thickens.

Obviously the mixtures are up for tweaking since it was literally just me pouring in whatever seemed good at the time but it ended up making a pretty good chili that was wonderful mixed in with rice.

Also if you're smarter than I and put the basil in at the end like an actual chef you can probably get away with using a lot less.
Anyone up for some kielbasa?

SpoilerShow

A pretty cost effective main dish given that it can feed two for $4.38.
Minus the bellpeppers, I had that twice the other week. Sauerkraut is like eurokimchi.
I'm not sure if I actually enjoy the bell peppers as a part of the dish, or just the smell while it's cooking. Regardless the taste blends with the sausage pretty well, and it doesn't affect the kraut in any negative way.

I'd recommend giving it a try if you ever have it again in the near future.
I actually despise both taste and texture of ’em and nothing within my power can make it otherwise. Doesn’t stop Mom from putting it in front of me, but I’m not about to give her any funny ideas ;D

Hmm... seems the Internet says it’s not bad with spicy peppers, though. As in, fermented with the peppers. Probably won’t happen in this house; we already have too much space taken up by fermenting maeshil. Which, 99.9% teetotaler Mom accidentally found out, is not an exact science and turned ridiculously boozy in the same time the last batch didn’t.
Sauerkraut fuckin messes with my head. The stuff looks as if it should be some weird starch but it's actually a nutritious vegetable ???
Oddly enough, I love kimchi but cannot stand sauerkraut. Inconsistency!

My family is German and big on sauerkraut, so it's not like it's an unfamiliar food for me, but the smell of it makes me ill. Dunno why.
Well from what I've seen kimchi tends to be more orange and that's a much more appetising colour to me at least so I can definitely understand that.
I have never actually had kimchi but I like vegetables so I guess it'd be good?
Well, there are a number of varieties, so one of them is bound to please.

Just watch out for the salt content Fact Seagull and scientifically unsettled increased or decreased risk of gastric cancer from capsaicin
My diet is composed of like 30% capsaicin already so I'm probably alright there if I try kimchi :P
LOCAL RICE. ONE UMEBOSHI. PARBOILED ASPARAGUS. KEWPIE MAYO. A TEENY TINY BIT OF SOY SAUCE. SEA SALT. A HARDBOILED EGG BECAUSE PROTEIN WHY NOT.

Mealwise I'm eating a list of things rather than an actual meal meal, but damn if it isn't delicious.
Aaaaaaaaaaah I finally found toubanjan in my local supermarket and I seasoned some pak choi with it

My face is on fire but it's also extremely happy right now
I forgot this thread existed :0 I must share my dinner of a couple of nights back, which came from a craing for a banana split (something i haven't had in yeeeeears) and because my entire family was gone, so i could eat it guilt free.

[Image: split.jpg]

2 bananas, about 6 scoops of icecream, half a bottle of cream, a strawberry fresh from the garden and an entire moro bar for the sauce. I couldn't even finish it in one sitting; i had to wait about an hour before attempting the last 3rd of it. :B
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
SlimyQuestant: (4:43:18 PM) Fuck
SlimyQuestant: (4:43:19 PM) Gwen
SlimyQuestant: (4:43:23 PM) I take it all back
SlimyQuestant: (4:43:36 PM) These takis change everything
SlimyQuestant: (4:43:48 PM) They are so damn spicy and delicious and it hurts so good
demolitiondebbie: (4:46:08 PM) whaties
SlimyQuestant: (4:46:14 PM) Takis
demolitiondebbie: (4:46:20 PM) b/w I knew you'd come to my side
demolitiondebbie: (4:46:24 PM) /me laugh evilly

look what you made me do
I am insulted you cut my entire contribution to that conversation.
I got a box of deluxe truffles (okay so maybe they were Lindt) for ten bucks. Delicious
Open question to the thread:

What is the appeal of ultra-spicy food? I can dig a spicy Indian or Chinese dish, but the arms race of ever-more spicy hot sauces is just baffling to me. Do people who buy those ghost pepper etc. hot sauces actually eat them regularly and enjoy them? Or is it just a novelty thing?