Anime that is aniMAZING also critique why not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anime that is aniMAZING also critique why not
RE: Anime that is aniMAZING also critique why not
That presents an interesting problem if you consider that voice actors are celebrities of a sort in Japan!

From what I hear tell, the same Japanese celebrities are recycled amongst the various celebrity-requiring industries ad nauseam. I’m not sure one could actually avoid hearing one of them in any but the lowest-billed productions, but I suppose this is the sort of thing I would have to consult a database to tell for sure.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Maybe you're just naturally gifted. I've been gaming all my life and i can hardly focus on more than one thing at a time.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
(06-08-2013, 04:42 AM)BRPXQZME Wrote: »That presents an interesting problem if you consider that voice actors are celebrities of a sort in Japan!

From what I hear tell, the same Japanese celebrities are recycled amongst the various celebrity-requiring industries ad nauseam. I’m not sure one could actually avoid hearing one of them in any but the lowest-billed productions, but I suppose this is the sort of thing I would have to consult a database to tell for sure.
It's not that they're celebrities that's the issue for me. It's that they're live actors brought in to voice act for name recognition alone. Voice acting has different skills from live acting which is different from stage acting, and I'd prefer they not bring people who have skills from just one into another for brand sake.

The familiar voice acting thing hits in American anime dubbing/video game voice acting, since there's so much recycling of the same actors. I mean the more you experience the less it bothers since that's not Spike Spiegel anymore that's just Steven Blum. Though I can't help but cross-compare voice actors to characters in Geass :L
I prefer subs, but considering I hit about 80% comprehension by volume of spoken Japanese, the text merely fills gaps in my vocabulary rather than laying out the whole line of dialogue.
(06-08-2013, 04:48 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I wonder if being a lifelong gamer has anything to do with being able to process several kinds of information simultaneously all on the same screen? I feel in my element multitasking.
I don’t know about all that, but plenty of film analysis that isn’t (usually) done on games probably ought to be for all those games that have fallen into the trap of thinking they’re movies (taking a good look at mise-en-scène in particular). Film critics also process different kinds of information at the same time as their bread and butter; they use very different, much more subjective kinds of information, however.

edit: This video came across my Facebook feed. If you need training in recognizing cliché promotional images, you’d be hard pressed to find a better intro. This includes how to estimate the Creepy Fanservice Quotient. If you need some light viewing material for an hour, I guess this works for that too.
SpoilerShow
I can't remember if I mentioned this before but Gargantia of the Verdant Planet is a really wonderful show. It just finished airing this weekend and it's 13 episodes long (though I like to pretend much of episode 5 doesn't exist). It's got great thematic work, well-done character arcs (especially one in particular), and the presentation is all really good from the animation to the directing and storyboarding. Plus, it manages something that I always appreciate in anime: subtlety.

It's not the most unpredictable of shows but I feel the work is better for following what seems to work best for the story, and I really recommend it.
NO ONE SHOULD WATCH ANGEL BEATS IT HURTS SO BAD

WHY DID I THINK AN ANIME EXPLICITLY ABOUT DEAD PEOPLE WOULDNT HURT
Not just that; if Key is involved, prep your tear ducts.
(08-02-2013, 04:08 PM)Solaris Wrote: »NO ONE SHOULD WATCH ANGEL BEATS IT HURTS SO BAD

WHY DID I THINK AN ANIME EXPLICITLY ABOUT DEAD PEOPLE WOULDNT HURT

OH GOD

OH /GOD/

...wait, God was actually /in there/