Anime that is aniMAZING also critique why not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yo this is the thread where we reccommend anime and cartoons and stuff. If you want a better title for it, go ahead and throw some suggestions out there.

Anyway what i recommend is Revolutionary Girl Utena, Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, and
Kemonozume.

Revolutionary girl utena is this super rad late 90s anime that examines and subverts gender roles with this great cast of complex characters and symbolic imagery. It centers on tomboy Utena Tenjou who accidentally comes into "possession" of the rose bride Anthy after winning a a swordfighting duel. Someone who posesses the Rose Bride is said to attain the power to revolutionize the world. Naturally she's targetted by the student council of her school who follow a sorta gnostic ideology filtered through a Demian lens. Its follows all these themes of unhealthy relationships and feminism and sacrifice and its just really neat okay? It also has some queer relationships and this REALLY great lesbian character. Go watch it if you are into those kinda animes that encourage critical analysis and thought on the story. Oh also warning theres a bunch of incest in it as part of the theme of unhealthy relationships.

Kaiba is this wonderfully animated, beautifully stylized sci-fi speculatative anime about a future where people are able to delete and edit their memories and even transfer their memories into another body. Really goes into a bunch of depressing places. Go watch it.

Tatami galaxy is also is wonderfully animated and stylized anime about a college student who makes a decision to join a school club or three. Each episode resets back to the beginning of the school year and has the main dude pick a different college club. Whatever he picks he somehow gets involved with the sinister, manipulative, sometimes well meaning Ozu, and a bunch of other characters over and over again. Its funny, sweet, fast-paced and pretty as heck.

Kemonozume is animated in a similar style to tatami, about a monster hunting group of samurai who go after a strange species of creatures who look human but transform into these horrific creatures at will or when they can't control the urge to eat human flesh. The protagonists are a super-talanted samurai Toshihiko who struggles with his psychological inability to kill and Yuka, one of the shapeshifting bloodthirsty creatures toshihiko has been trained to hunt down and kill. They have fallen madly in love with each other, at first sight no less, so it's one of those old stories of forbidden love. They have to fight off technologically advanced samurai and monsters and struggle with their relationship along the way. Despite the conventionality of the true love at first sight thing, Kemonozume is incredibly surreal, hilarious and violent. Its quite an experience.
RE: Anime that is aniMAZING
Ha ha nerd, you watch anime, you are a nerd!!!!

*POINTING AND LAUGHING THAT SPANS THE ENTIRE THREAD SO NO ONE ELSE HAS TO*
You read a comic about cartoon rabbits
holy shit i wasnt expecting that
Uh... I've only ever watched anime that is kind of mainstream. Like the Jump Allstars, you know them.

Hm. Oh, there's Eyeshield 21. Incredible American Football anime that's a lot better than it sounds.

And, uh, Puella Magi Madoka Magica although I'm fairly sure everybody's seen it at this point.

Yeah, anime isn't really my thing, I prefer manga.

Oh wait there's also Wolf's Rain. That is a GREAT anime that also isn't really all that mainstream.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
Ummmm
I liked Nichijou
because it's about ridiculous things happening in otherwise ordinary situations
you've probably seen the part where the principal suplexes a deer in gif form somewhere
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
i like cromartie high school
RE: Anime that is aniMAZING also critique why not
Yo decided that this could also be the place where we analyze and interpret animes like a buncha nerds. Stuff like NGE, Utena, Paranoia Agent are all stuff thats interesting to critique, and if you guys got any stuff that interest about a certain animes themes or whatever, you can do that here also.
Could this also be the manga thread?
Huh. Originally i wanted this to be an animation focused thing but yeah no go for it. Manga the shit out of this thread.
i like uzumaki

also hellstar remina

also cat diary

look i just like junji ito
If we're going into crazy levels of interpretation, if anyone besides me likes Code Geass, I was up until 2 last night trying to figure out the gender identity of a tertiary character there so I think that counts.

Also, man, I've been wanting to watch Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy since they were airing but I keep never getting around to it... maybe I should do that today.
Uzumaki's great, yes.

Oh and also I recommend Eden no Ori (Cage of Eden). It might start out a little slow and also have a plot coincidentally similar to Lost, but it is great and compelling and also not at all like the stereotypical manga it seems like.

And also Psyren, which is surprisingly solid for a manga that never really picked up popularity.

Oh and also Gantz if you're into dark stuff.

I could go on forever.
(04-19-2013, 04:13 PM)cyber95 Wrote: »i like cromartie high school

Seconding this. Cromartie High and Daily Lives of High School Boys are probably the only enjoyable "high school animes" that I've ever watched before.

And I'm sure I'm not breaking any new ground here, but I'm also a fan of Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Madoka Magica, and Fullmetal Alchemist.
Have you seen any of the other absurdist slice of life shows? While High School Boys was entertaining, I found Nichijou even better, and while Cromartie was great for its time, I feel it's been surpassed by some of the more recent offerings in that genre.
It's not a genre I've looked into very heavily, I admit. (In fact, I'd say that the vast majority of animes I only start watching after they get recommended to me by a friend.)

I guess I'll try watching Nichijou sometime and see how I like it though.
I think i wont be able to watch another anime after Nichijou, i generally don't like anime but i sincerely enjoy that one lots, it made me laugh out loud several times. I actually haven't seen the last like 3 episodes or something because i don't want to get to the point where there will be no more nichijous to watch Meloncholy
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]

Yo guys check it out Studio Trigger has posted their latest ova, Little Witch Academia, online for free, WITH translated subtitles! You guys should watch it, its frigging cute as balls. Especially you ed.
Wait, that was released for free? Now I feel kinda dumb for pirating it :L
Yes yes yes i saw that all over tumblr but i was lazy and didn't pirate it, but i'm glad it's free now! Thanks, Fake.

Also, thread title suggestion: The baka gaijin's corner: an animu thread.
I liked nichijou but there were a lot of long spells of not a whole lot funny happening (for my tastes) so I think I slept through the second half of an episode or two. I think it's during the few segments where there's a lot of really dry humor + japanese pun.

I'd have to watch it again at some point where I'm NOT just watching every episode super late at night.

Here's one that's good: JoJo's Bizarre Adventures. Finished recently, they went through the first two arcs and teased the third (although it hasn't been announced officially). Muscles Vs. Vampires.
I agree, there are a lot of segments that are just ehh, specially right before-WOW SUPER SPOILER DON'T READ THIS:

SpoilerShow
Did you guys watch Eva again yet or what
nichijou spoiler under spoiler
SpoilerShow
I've not seen much Anime, but there is a considerable deal of Manga that I have. One of my favourites, if you can stomach the early mushy harem romance, is Mahou Sensei Negima. I mean, once you pass the beginning, it's a great action-adventure (up until the end, that is; but that is another kettle of fish entirely).
🐦🐙🐙[Image: nifOFwR.png]🐙🐙