Murder By The Book - Ender's Game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murder By The Book - Ender's Game
RE: Murder By The Book - Day 9: So Long, and Thanks for all the Death
Pala is that an accurate description?

Also it is killing me that I can't edit my posts for grammar.
Oh yeah and I did the cops thing.
About accurate yes.

I get a full win if I survive until game end and scum wins, or if scum wins with only one member left. I can also get a half win if I survive but town wins. Flavourwise I'm a literary critic who just wants you to all die because none of you know how to write a good book, and working with Undercover suits that goal.

Currently my only way to get anything out of this is if I survive to endgame. Feasibly I could have gotten a full win by just forcing a no lynch with Sotek and Schazer and then helping them lynch someone tomorrow, but they've made it clear they'd rather just kill me and win now.

So if you help me lynch Sotek and Schazer (who will then kill someone and win if you lynch literally anyone else), and then if they decide to not shoot me in the night, then town lynches the other tomorrow and wins. I'm throwing scum under the bus because siding with town gives me a chance at a half win while scum has actively screwed any hopes I had of getting my full one.

My only regret is thinking that they would work with me yesterday, otherwise I would have just outed them right away instead of trying to invent a bunch of different claims to work around their overcomplicated lover lies because now this whole situation is convoluted as hell.
meanwhile it takes four to lynch no matter what today, *and* it's MYLO (but if schazer or I gets shot it's a straight-up scum win.)

so ... we're at what, two on pala one on me? pilot/seedy/akumu not voting?

The two of you who are town are gonna have to both agree, period.
I am very interested to see what seedy's going to post. Since we have some thirty hours left I imagine there's going to be a lot of action still to come.
(06-13-2014, 12:16 PM)Palamedes Wrote: »I ask the real town:

Do you think any game that claims to be fair and balanced would have ridiculously protected lovers in it on top of the (confirmed) protective powers all caramels are capable of gaining, Garuru's power play, an inventor, and a Jack of all Trades if Cyber hadn't been turned into a third party? Like look at the scum flips so far. We have a busdriver, a bulletproof traitor in a game with basically just the scum kill, and a weakened janitor. Sotek and Schanzer are purposing that scum, to counter all of this ridiculous town power, have only a godfather and flavourcop to counter that.

Use your heads. As ridiculous as what I said sounds it's still makes as much, if not more, sense then what scum are claiming.

you forget that garuru was already naturally a bulletproof, and also that there was a sane cop
oh, and the fact that there was a third party faction with absurd powers too

man, when you put it that way, it does sound kind of weird

sotek, can you...explain your argument against pala in greater detail, or maybe in a slightly different way? I sort of get what you're saying ("why would you do this when you could win this way") but the details aren't really getting through to me so it's hard to evaluate...
why the heck would he have not jumped on the no-lynch? In his claimed worlds, he would have won that way, and that's the only thing me+him+schazer could have forced, anyway.
Why would he have aggroed Schazer /at all/, instead of, for instance, aggroing you?
Why would I have cross-examined hmi when he was saying I was town, instead of just going "la la la" and doing 'whatever' and riding the townfirm?
And again: Why would he claim, when he goes from "winning probably no matter what" to "losing no matter what"? If he was telling the truth, if schazer or I gets lynched today the other one autoshoots him, town lynches us, he doesn't survive, he doesn't get a bodystacker win (three townies left), and ... ???
as opposed to, for instance: full claiming, then voting nolynch. which if he was truthtelling would guarantee his win (and screw me+schazer over) - if he was shot, then at 3v2 with the two being confirmed scum, the game guaranteed ends at 2 town alive, a bodystacker win. And if he wasn't shot, he could switch back to jointing with scum by just lynching someone.

Instead, he's pushing a lynch on me. This is an action that is not consistent with any claim he's made, but IS consistent with being lying scum trying to push a mislynch to get rid of the protective role at mylo.

BTW, you remember when he said there was a redirector? He never explained how he'd know that, or why he'd lie about that.
The answer to how he knows is that: the scum kill got redirected off of donut to seedy1. (my bad, I had a retarded scumread on you.)

so ... yeah.
I didn't support the no lynch because Schazer had already claimed scum which would have looked awful on me, and then you could have pushed a lynch on me under the guise of yet another bullshit trap (which, by the way, you had already started when she claimed). Like excuse me for not trusting you guys fully at this point but up until you straight up said she was your lover lynching her was still my most fool-proof way to win.

I had to aggro Schazer as of yesterday Sotek, why do you keep pretending I haven't explained that? The instant that it was only the two of us that donut hadn't checked and thus it was really a me or her situation? Then I dropped my claim with the obvious plan that Schazer would be lynched, you'd be permacleared, and I'd be unkillable and thus that'd be it. Instead fucking loverclaim.

Oh, and you didn't cross examine me, not until today. So don't pretend you were doing that all yesterday.

Anyways.

Next up, I realize that you guys could shoot me tonight, but again you're trying to lynch me today. It's basically a probable chance that I won't win with town and a definite chance I won't win with you. Plus, if I am going to lose no matter what I'd rather give victory to the guys who didn't screw me over entirely.

If I full claimed and then voted no-lynch, you would have pulled this exact same shit on me now. Also, I'd have been arguing with you right from the beginning of the day, and instead held on to the small chance that you'd just let the Schazer lynch go through.

As for the redirector thing, I put two and two together:

A) No failed kills besides Garuru's bp
B) You guys ignoring donut and Garuru
C) Garuru being cagey about the existence of the busdriver - he would have known there was one of each and would have no way of knowing which was which. Meanwhile, if he knew there was a doctor he would have easily been able to infer that the busdriver was scum.
D) Seedy 1.0, aka a person who was a likely mislynch to go after, dies.

Like it's not that insane that it'd be really easy to figure out why do you two pretend it is.
who gives a fuck if you look awful if you win independently of anything town says?

oh right. you do, because you care about being lynched by town, because you are scum.

anyway I am done arguing with scum. Pilot, you wanna say anything?
I care because holy shit how many times do I have to state that you guys have been purposely trying to trip me up so you can lynch me for your own victory.

I mean I know you have to ignore everything I'm saying since it basically undoes the argument you have against my actions and thus makes you look terrible but you could try to do it in a better way?
(06-14-2014, 01:18 AM)Sotek Wrote: »Pilot, you wanna say anything?

I really don't have much to say. There's a healthy level of suspicion for both sides of this in my point of view, as Pala's numerous claims have me kinda ehh and I don't know if I trust accepting redirection in both town and mafia in the same setup.

This all reads as one massive Gambit Pileup to me, and I'm doing my best to make sense of it. As for choosing sides, I'll tenatively side with Schazer/Sotek as Schazer's had a lot more consistent town behavior throughout the game, whereas Sotek/Pala are generally weaker reads. I would've liked to have seen the "you can't name the lovers" business actually play out (where it was an attempt to trap Pala in a lie) but it's a shame the lovers were named before that happened, oh well.

(another thing that I notice is if Pala really is 3P trying to implicate scum, wouldn't it make a lot more sense for Pala/Schazer/Sotek to just force NL and be done with it? Seems like a really unnecessary gambit to pull for a win)

Also totally okay with lynching Pala as it's a giant information lynch at this point, and in event of a bad lynch at MYLO, it's easy enough to try and play protective mindgames and attempt to confirm me. If it's already at a losing point, it's worth attempting to try and confirm my ESCAPE POWERS.

Looks like a Pala/Seedy world more and more to me.
[Image: c48AoKl.png?1]
I make game: site | itch
Someone Yell At Me If I Got These Votals Wrong

Palamedes - 2 (Schazer, Sotek)
Sotek - 1 (Palamedes)

With six alive, it takes four to lynch. There is no soft lynch.
Deadline is now Saturday, June 14th at 11:59 PM EST, in roughly 27 hours.
Quote:Also totally okay with lynching Pala as it's a giant information lynch at this point

You, uh, realize that lynching me means that game's over right? Like Schazer/Sotek shoot seedy or Akumu and overrun.
(06-14-2014, 02:25 AM)TehPilot Wrote: »Looks like a Pala/Seedy world more and more to me.

look I've said this already but what the FUCK did you think was going on if you didn't think it was this

you didn't act prepared to lynch sotek or schazer so ???

btw does this whole claim slugfest with pala means we're holding off decisionmaking on me n pilot until tomorrow because that really doesn't make sense if nothing's changed
(although this pala stuff being true /would/ sort of make schazer taking pressure off of him twice in a weird manner make sense...ugh)

these weird claims are making my head hurt...sotek's points make sense but they're all based on 'best play' things...pala's seem possible but sort of absurd...

but instinctually, I've felt like Schazer is town and Pala is scum...lmao honestly what's making me most suspicious in this moment is pilot's post...I can't work out these wacky claims, but I can assess stuff like "why is this person holding off on lynching someone"

vote: Palamedes hey pilot guess what this is a safe action no matter what world we're living in. if pala's telling the truth the only 2 scum are on his wagon, and if he's lying then scum certainly isn't going to quickhammer him.
I'm sure you could be reticent because you haven't went ahead and worked this all out, but to me it feels like maybe you just don't want to lynch your scumbud. and you're holding off in hopes that the wagon will die and you'll never have to make good on your claim that you'd be ok with lynching him.
but that's just how I feel
I don't trust anybody you're all too sneaky and gambity. Maybe if we just don't lynch anybody things will look better tomorrow when I'm dead.
Perhaps The Day's Last Votals

Palamedes - 3 (Schazer, Sotek, Seedy)
Sotek - 1 (Palamedes)

With six alive, it takes four to lynch. There is no soft lynch.
Deadline is now Saturday, June 14th at 11:59 PM EST, in roughly 14 hours.
READS BY SCUM

Solaris, Day 2 Wrote:overall people i like and would stop the deaths of are seedy, schazer, and mirdini on principal

people i like but would Not Kiss are slor, nova, donut if he continues to be a cool chap, ron, gnanuga

people i dont like but would still hug are pala, garu, and L U R K S Q U A D

people who, in the context of this game do not even get hugs are green, bigro, granola, and akumu

Solaris, First post of Day 3 Wrote:imo today we should probably deal with truegreen or, if we are going to hit a lurker/low content type, bigro

right now im pretty comfortable with voting for bigro over his continuous uncontributions

also, gj doc/bp/roleblocker/whichever

Geez Solaris is pushing pretty hard for a bigro (seedy II) lynch

Truegreen, Day 3 Wrote:Scum Reads
Slorange: Seems like scum to me, I will post an updated and clarified version of my grievances in the near future as I pity anyone trying to go back and read through that mess of a conversation.

Schazer: Mostly because Schazer/Slorange seems to be a team. Also because Schazer gummed up much of the second day with mechanics arguments and attempts to polarize players based on which risks they preferred. I suppose the Slorange defenses could be due to residual goodwill, Slorange seems well liked on this board, but I cannot rely on that being the only reason, especially in a game like this.

Chowka[/u:] Mostly a feeling, seems very chaotic in his choices. Though, his playstyle on many other games on this board seems to support his current activity. My suspicion of [u]Chowka right now is largely gut feeling so go examine his previous posts yourself and make your own opinion.

Eberron: Seems very wishy washy, also, Slorange pushed heavily for No Lynch when Eberron was in danger.

I am not sure what to feel about Solaris pushing a bigro lynch. Bigro was largely inactive, so it seems like there are two options:

(1) A safe mislynch to push for
(2) An intentional sacrifice of a non-useful mafia, to keep their name clear

What do people think?
Well, this was kind of a long shot and I never really expected it to work so I think I'll just end this farce myself, because holy shit I should have been lynched yesterday and this is just exasperating.

My only regret is that now even though my partner's gotten into a great position they're kind of screwed no matter what. I had a fantastic team the whole way through but with goddamn redirecting lovers even with the mislynch tomorrow they're basically stuck with a 50/50 chance of winning the game or having the lover's redirect their kill right back at them.

I guess this isn't much of a last gasp without any wine but I like to think that we've gotten a victory no matter what happens. I mean, we eliminated almost everyone in this godforsakenly terrible company, and even those of you who might survive have become the very things you've fought against. If you think that you'll be able to go back to your simple tales of whimsy without them being corrupted by what you've experienced and what we've done, then you're all even greater fools than I imagined when this all started. That is how this works, how it has always worked. No matter how many of us die, the survivors of our strikes will always rise to take our place.

That is how Undercover will win the war.

Theo, Pananelo, I can see the light. I'll be with you soon.

Vote: Palamedes
a nolynch today is almost certainly a town loss in any world.

if you believe pala, then me+schazer would shoot "someone" and then tomorrow he'd be able to joint with us by just lynching whoever.
If you believe me or schazer, then when we die in the night, it's 2/2 and that's scum overrun.

so ... yeah. you should lynch someone. preferably pala.
oh, wow, missed pala's post. sorry for posting late :<
RE: Murder By The Book - Night 9: I Have No Corporeal Body and I Must Scream
Day End Votals

Palamedes - 4 (Schazer, Sotek, Seedy, Palamedes)

Frustrated, Palamedes casts the final vote against his own end, confessing his guilt in the process. The makeshift gallows of the library are no longer accessible, so he simply steps over towards a printing press.

"It's funny. I was never even particularly good at murder mysteries," he says, sticking his legs in between some gears. "I liked the killing, but writing about it just lacked the same appeal. Yet that, not my prowess as a critic, is what I shall be remembered for in death. It's almost ironic."

Without another word, Palamedes pulls a lever and gets dragged into the machinery. He shrieks and screams for a few minutes before the press tears him apart.

Palamedes was Edgar Allen Faux, a literary critic. Ironically, for all his talent at picking apart the flaws in the books of others, his own efforts at murder mysteries were shallow - indeed, he often simply plagiarized other novels and added a mystery to them.

Regardless, he was still considered of value to Undercover. He was looking for the traitor, and would identify them by reading their in-progress works and looking for signs of murder mysteries. In doing so, he would learn what sort of books they wrote, potentially gaining clues as to powers they held as well.

Palamedes could recruit Gnauga by visiting him. If he had died before Gnauga, the surviving Undercover members would have been given an alternate recruitment method.

In addition, if Palamedes visited AgentBlue, the miller, he would have realized that they had an interest in writing murder mysteries. However, upon actually contacting Agent, he would have soon discovered that they were not the recruit he was looking for, and would form a mason team with them instead as an excuse for making contact. That is to say, they would have been able to talk to each other privately, day or night. Palamedes would have learned that Agent was a miller and revenge killer, while Agent would have only been told that Palamedes was a flavor cop who could read someone's books and learn the genre they wrote in.

In short, Palamedes was Undercover's flavor cop and recruiter.

There is a wave of relief. Another member of Undercover has been found. Perhaps this nightmare will soon end. Everyone returns to their rooms to prepare for another long day tomorrow - perhaps the last.

It's now night. Go do stuff.

Night subtitle courtesy of Coldblooded/Dragonpaul.
RE: Murder By The Book - The Final Chapter
It was a dark and stormy night.

A lone figure crept through the halls of Iconoclast Publishing, slipping into an author's room.

It was empty. Just as well; this was the perfect opportunity to set a trap.

The figure worked feverishly to prepare their lethal device. When all was done, they quietly let themselves out and returned to their room.

That was where they found a letter. A letter from an admirer, by the looks of things. They didn't trust it, but the sweet wording was simply too tempting. They had to investigate.

They were so taken by the message that they didn't even notice the meeting place was the very room they had booby-trapped. There was a loud crash as their own complex machinery went into motion, trapping them under a bookcase. The noise was so loud it woke everyone else up, and they all rushed to see the commotion.

There they found the last of the Undercover criminals groaning.

"Guess you caught me," Seedy sighed. "Game's up."

Seedy (the one that was originally bigro) was Grant U. Dosh, an author of children's books. No one would suspect that the creator of such colorful, innocent works was one of Undercover's agents - indeed, Seedy had never written a single murder mystery. As such, any investigations would make Seedy appear to be town.

In short, Seedy was the godfather.

"There's just one thing I'd like to know, before my strength gives out. Just who wrote that sweet, alluring message?"

"That would be my darling here," Schazer said with a smile, turning to Sotek. "We never thought our little plan would work so well."

Schazer was Susan D. Nimm and Sotek was Stella Rheasdottir. They were both romance novelists, and in discussing each other's works, came to feel a special bond for each other.

Schazer was the better novelist of the two, or so all the critics claimed. The two of them could work together to use their talents for romantic writing to lure people into different rooms.

Each night, they would write two messages. Schazer would write a truly irresistible confession of love, and using it, would direct one person to a safe room for the night. Sotek would write a similar message, but with less skill, directing someone else into the other target's room.

As Sotek's message was not as enticing, however, the recipient would ultimately return to their own room and try to forget their disappointment. The overall effect of this was that they could direct all night actions targeting one player to target another for the night. This ability required both of them; it was not specific to either player. One of them could also hide in the safe room.

If either of the two died, the other would be overcome by grief and take her own life as well. They trusted each other completely, and were confirmed town to each other at the start of the game. They could also communicate with each other freely day or night.

They were town-aligned redirecting lovers.

"According to my calculations, that should be all of Undercover dealt with," Akumu said. "Perhaps now we can focus our efforts on deducing a way out of this building."

Akumu was Kinsey Kellerman, a mathematician who had taken a contract with Iconoclast to write about his field. Though he had no particular talents, he could calculate the probability of an event happening the next day. This would basically cause something silly and usually meaningless to happen, though some of the events had actual effects.

He was a caramel townie, although arguably the most effective one by default.

"They locked us in, right?" TehPilot asked. "So our friend here probably knows where the keys are. And I know how to make this kind of scum talk. Vin Incible does it all the time."

TehPilot was Joel Braddock, author of many an exciting thriller starring the daring Vin Incible. He looked at the intense situation he was trapped in and found inspiration, though there wasn't much he could do with it.

He had no particular abilities, but he could write a death-defying scenario for Vin to be trapped in for the sake of amusing the mods, possibly earning awards.

He was a caramel townie.

"Yeah, no, I'm not going to spend my last breaths telling you guys where the keys are. You'll just have to find them yourselves..."

Seedy paused.

"Does anyone else smell smoke?"

Akumu looked shocked.

"It was only a 12 percent chance!"

"What are you talking about?" Sotek asked, baffled.

"There was a 12 percent chance that those men from Conformist started a small fire that would grow into a much larger fire! And it seems to have happened!"

TehPilot laughed.

"I'll get us out of here," he said. "This is what I live for."

TehPilot leapt into the room, grabbed a chair, and smashed the nearest window. He motioned for the others to follow.

"That's a two-story drop!" Schazer exclaimed.

"There's an 85 percent chance of serious injury or death if we leap through that. Are you sure about this?"

"Those sound like my kind of odds."

TehPilot leapt out the window. The others hesitated, but as a large plume of flame burst into the room, they realized there was little choice.

They landed on the ground, hurt but alive. The ordeal was over... but at what cost?

Iconoclast Publishing was down to but four. None of them knew anything about running a business, and they had all seen more deaths in nine days and nights than they had expected to in a lifetime.

The fire department soon arrived. The four authors explained their stories, of Undercover's trap, of the terrifying trials they had been through, of the fiendish plot they had barely foiled.

Hearing of the final criminal trapped under a bookcase in a burning room, the firefighters rushed in, hoping to save one more life from this tragic incident.

But when they rushed into Schazer's room, no one was there.
Night Actions:

Most caramel actions aren't included here, except Akumu's calculations. See individual QTs for things people wrote.

SpoilerShow

Quicktopics:
SpoilerShow
[Image: 25u7deg.jpg]
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
Oh my christ Pala we fucked you over so badly on multiple occasions - we only figured out in the last couple days that you got driven off of me and that's why you didn't think I was the lover, but I never realised it took you two checks to find Sotek.