This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
today, i learned that lululemon was founded on the philosophy of ayn rand
"The reason the Japanese liked [my former skateboard brand, ‘Homeless’] was because it had an L in it and a Japanese marketing firm wouldn’t come up with a brand name with an L in it. L is not in their vocabulary. It’s a tough pronunciation for them. So I thought, next time I have a company, I’ll make a name with three Ls and see if I can get three times the money. It’s kind of exotic for them. I was playing with Ls and I came up with Lululemon. It’s funny to watch them try to say it.” – Wilson [founder of Lululemon] in a 2004 interview with National Post Business Magazine
The resulting flood of activity on the rusted old server hosting the homestar wiki was too much for it to handle.

It appears to be affecting the site in unpredictable ways.
I haven't watched Homestar in ages and this gave me Feelings

Like I realized I've been a fan for this goofy web cartoon for at least a decade

It's just strange to think about
better change dem locks

not mentioned: steam (change it), anything that uses https that's not specifically on the list

tester stick to prod things

nsa used exploit for years
tbh I think a silent minority of Americans have been ashamed of living here for a long while now, and the silent minority is only growing bigger and louder. Personally, I can pinpoint my frustration with this country to when Bush got reelected.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
It's okay guys it's not as shitty as other countries.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
nasa how could you
go back to space

(shhh i know it is nsa)
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
The entirety of my knowledge about the NSA comes from this video
i set my jimmy carter trap card to defense position
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
confession: I do that in my own home if I'm not paying attention
Get it published; print a thousand copies with kickstarter
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Only acceptable if you read it out loud to them
I'd say it's naive of you. It's not gonna accomplish anything other than make them think you're D) all of the above (they'll be jealous of your awesomeness). Trust me.
put all the cups in your room. they're your cups. all yours. they don't get any cups, they have lost that privilege.
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
I feel like this is going to turn into an adventure or something.
That's actually a little surprising; even in the Everything Apologist, America is Perfect school system in Texas, I learned about internment camps and such. I mean, it was definitely framed in a "Well maybe this isn't a great thing but national security and so forth" way rather than being presented as the stunning violation of human rights and display of institutionalized bigotry it was, but...

We knew about it at least.

I even read a sad picture book that had an emotional impact on me for quite some time about a little Japanese girl who was internmented and her best friend gave her a bracelet and something something they never saw each other again. I realized as I started typing this that I don't remember nearly as much about it as I thought I did, but it was important to me for a while.
Slorange: was this the book?
That's the one, yeah. Kind of a heavy thing to lay on an elementary school kid, but there's not much point shielding people from things because they're sad.
(04-21-2014, 04:34 AM)Wheat Wrote: »it's the first-world guilt hour on eagle time

I see I've chosen the perfect time to come back here. Crying Eagle
Is mibbit down, guys?
Shouldn't be?
Check your bookmark, if you've got something like https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ or https://client01.chat.mibbit.com/ then replace it with just chat.mibbit.com
It's possible the client server you've bookmarked is not working, connecting to chat.mibbit.com instead will just assign you to a free and functioning one
It's working now, isitdownrightnow.com said it was down but i don't trust it. I dunno what happened :I
It's been working for me all evening so I'm not quite sure what was going on there (maybe it was only working because I was already connected)
Glad it's fixed itself though! I'm sure someone will be along to tell us both to get a real IRC client in a minute.
(05-06-2014, 12:50 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Is it just me or does Patreon exist basically to attempt to legitimize e-begging.

Um, well, as someone with a Patreon... thing... myself, I disagree.

Seems like your complaint is more directed towards youtube folks hoping to make easy cash or something? Lots of Patreon sellers offer actual content behind the subscription tiers. And I don't think anyone's going to seriously debate whether the word "subscription" is appropriate, because of course that's what it is.

I'm pretty sure that most people who make silly web videos don't remotely make a living off of it. You can't really blame them for trying, though. And YouTube's been full of junk since forever - that's just Sturgeon's Law.
You don't have to pay people to get the content though? I don't think anyone is being dishonest in asking for money to support their otherwise completely free creative work, and suggesing that they don't is just entitlement on the part of the viewer instead, coupled with the view that creative pursuits a) arent worth anything and b) are more 'pure' if you do them without any compensation. Artists gotta eat too.
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]