Grand Battle Character Review/Critique Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As the title implies, this is a thread for the reviewing and critiquing of characters to be entered in any one of the many Grand Battles.

To be more exact, I would like this thread to be a place where someone can go for help. A thread where if someone is unsure about a character idea or a specific trait, they can (hopefully) find some assistance without any awkwardness; where someone can easily find someone willing to find holes in others profiles; where someone can ask for people willing to maybe start a pow-wow of sorts, going on IRC or whatever and just tossing ideas at each other! I would also like this thread to be for giving general character building tips.
For example, Dragon Fogel has mentioned that he likes to give his characters a goal outside the battle, such as Eximo Pulvis' compulsion to clean.

Finally, I would like to keep this thread tidy, and if we could keep long things under spoilers or in a PM response, that would be great! I also think that if some people really want to go the extra mile, they could plan a sort of IRC session to plot out things about the character; I know that this has really helped me with some profiles.

And yea, if we could keep this to serious character profiles and tips/tricks for any sort of Grand Battleish activities, that would be keen Happymelon

=====

To kick things off, here is a guy I am entering in Pinary’s Villain Battle
If I could get responses via PM, that would be swell.

SpoilerShow
Re: Grand Battle Character Review/Critique Thread
This is a good idea for a thread.

Here is one of the characters I am considering for the Fatal Encounter (the others are backup ideas in case this gets shot down):

SpoilerShow

The specific issue I have with this profile is the nature of the shop. I have limited it so that it can not be used as an escape route, but I am unsure as to whether it is still too much?
Solaris: I'm not sure what to say on your Space Pope; my planned villain is also religiously-themed and is from space, so I feel a little awkward commenting when there are those similarities, even if the characters are probably going to be very different.

Ix: I really like the concept here. As far as the shop goes... perhaps you could have it where the shop stocks its own shelves and Liz has no control of what's on there? So if she has to grab something from the shop, she has to settle for whatever it's offering at that moment.

(Also: Pinary has a severe phobia of jellyfish. It might be a good idea to change the shape of the cane.)
Dragon Fogel Wrote:Ix: I really like the concept here. As far as the shop goes... perhaps you could have it where the shop stocks its own shelves and Liz has no control of what's on there? So if she has to grab something from the shop, she has to settle for whatever it's offering at that moment.

(Also: Pinary has a severe phobia of jellyfish. It might be a good idea to change the shape of the cane.)

I hadn't really considered the contents of the shop as being overpowered, more the fact that this is a location moving between universes. That was what I thought had the potential to call some issues, as a result I'm putting in a note that her necklace is completely unique so that cameoed Liz's can't call the shop.

The contents themselves are like typical magical artefacts. There are obviously some good ones but most have pretty significant downsides, or some that are just plain cursed with no upside. That said I think I like the idea that the shop sort of has it's own personality and stuff is never where you expect it to be, so you have to more or less go with whatever is at hand. I will incorporate that.

Also, I had a good reason for the jellyfish cane but if it's a thing I can swap phoenix instead even though that is significantly less clever.

Thanks Fogel. Happymelon