Epic Clash - COMPLETE!

Epic Clash - COMPLETE!
Re: Epic Clash Round 2 - The Wax Colosseum
Originally posted on MSPA by Alice.

SO RESERVED (okay, so I got REALLY tired while writing this so late, and probably can't post till tomorrow. But I would REAALLLYYYY appreciate if Wojjan didn't post until after I did, and that no one interacts with us. I PROMISE I will post in a little bit, just, yeah, don't interact with Michelle or Asteria)
Originally posted on MSPA by Baphomet.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Wojjan.

SpoilerShow
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.

reserved fo reals now :3 (uhh, gimme just a few more minutes)

SpoilerShow

Fair enough, I just need you, you being Wojjan, to not post until after I doooo. I have something planned, and I don't have time to do it right nowwww. Okay? I'd really really appreciate that!!
Originally posted on MSPA by suomynonAyletamitlU.

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by McBatman.

SpoilerShow

The air swirled only lightly around Spender as he toured the arena, silently seeking... well, anything. He didn't like the mist; after the rising feel of Nightmare before, it brought back memories of a speckled black sea that swallowed more than ships. Flying, rather than standing, helped a great deal, but his hands itched every time he considered casting a sensor. Somehow, he didn't want to look at the statues, or the screens, until he calmed down a little.

Even so long afterwards, some scars don't heal.

He hadn't seen Michelle, though he meant to find her, as she and Mr. Nothing were the last big question marks on his dossier. Instead, he passed from one terrain zone to the next, and below him, the mist thinned a little bit, and a slight ting-ching, ting-ching drew his attention to a wobbly little bicycle. He descended almost silently, just close enough to spot the embodied glass bowl that rode it, and let out a little groan.

It was enough, and Glere's eyes swivelled on the bowl to look up at him, a pained grimace of abject joy scrawled below--no, to one side of them.

Glere moved from sitting to standing on the bicycle in an instant, and bowed over-elaborately, somehow keeping balance as the cycle rolled forwards. "A sky, a guy, a man of the moon! How do you see me, ye flying buffoon? Heehe--"

Spender flinched as Glere's bike smashed headfirst into a tree. Glere, with all the grace of a lawn ornament in a hurricane, managed to hit the trunk with his torso, letting his bowlhead tumble off into the grass further along, although Spender was fairly certain he heard glass breaking.

Spender brought himself in to hover not too far the man and his mangled vehicle, crossing his arms and looking down on the man as plainly as possible. Glere, cursing the bike, its manufacturer, and the arena's arborist to their own colorful hells, produced another head without a thought.

Spender, still appraising him, let his persona take over. He dropped down almost to ground level in the process of a low bow, then sprung back up in a faux backflip, almost vanishing into the mists before re-emerging. "Doctor Glereingston, I presume," he said with a mocking smile. "The man in the moon I may be, but I do believe it is the lunatic who loses his head for no reason." He swung close, still giving himself another head of height over the man, his eyes dark and measured in spite of his mannerisms. "And what manner of man is this otherwise transparent fellow, hm?"

SpoilerShow
EDIT: Crap, his post said "out of the forest"...

...well, I guess there are trees outside of the forest too [img]images/smilies/mspa_face.gif[/img]

Glere brusehd himself off, twisting a colorful plastic pineapple into place, another sickening SNAP echoing through the air as he secured it to his neck. A few moments later his eyes reappeared on the plastic fruit, looking upward to the fellow who had distracted him.
"What are you anyways?" Spender asked, folding his arms.
Glere picked up the bike and threw it over the edge of a nearby walkway. A loud CRASH traveling upwards as he turned his gaze to the man floating before him.
"An interesting question, long debated by people with far too much time on their hands, working on calculations and addendums to several volumes of perceived thought, all coming to the same conclusion of 'I have no idea.' Somethings just are. You are, I am, that is." Glere pointed to a wax statue frozen in a defensive stance, holding up a shield with a sword raised over its head.
"Anyways, don't be so koi." Glere said reaching into his cloak, producing a giant, wriggling goldfisih. Spender groaned, holding the bridge of his nose.

"You ARE aware this is a contest to the death, right?" he said, lowering slightly as Glere continued to fool around with the fish, before tossing it back in his cape. Spender blinked as he heard a loud splash, as though it had just dropped into a tank of water.
"I've played many games of Russian Roulette, often with unsuspecting individuals who thought they would assuredly be the victor, and even in my loss, I have proved victorious." Glere said unscrewing his head again, and tossing it back into his cloak. He fished around inside before producing ANOTHER fishbowl, this time with the koi from before swimming around inside. He picked it out and tossed back into the cloak, again accompanied with a loud splash.
"At any rate, I intend to be the victor here, or my name simply is not Glere!... Yay, more rhyming!" he said, laughing giddily.

Spender pointedly avoided looking at the statue. It was kind of a tell, he knew from long experience, but it was better than the slightly freaked look he'd have if the Nightmare started to come over him again.

He tried to play it off by rising (or falling, depending on your perspective) to Glere's level. Hardly moving a muscle, he willed himself back into the air slightly, then came back down in Glere's face(?), only this time upside-down. His poker face was perfectly set into a mask of slight amusement and some disdain.

"Glere...
I'm sincere.
T'was one year
I knew true fear,
And could make no jeer;
I lost all that was dear.
The greatest and worst would all disappear,
While the sad and despondent must yet persevere.
I can not expect you to shed a tear,
But... by means of my victory, I shall peace engineer."

A coin fell out of his coat, and he caught it in his teeth. Glere caught sight of it briefly, close as it was; the pattern emblazoned in gold was clearly an explosion, made of triangles. He slid it into his cheek deftly and floated back a foot or two, speaking with only the slightest hinderance.

"Budt you, Gwere. Whut do yuu intemd to du if you vwere to winn?"

SpoilerShow

The low wall Michelle was crouched behind had a small chink in it, a chink from which she watched the ghastly creature. It could talk; that monster could talk. The thing stared at one of the wax statues, carefully examining it. The Runner held her breath, waiting patiently for the creature to make its move. The creature's words were directed at a wax statue—Michelle wagered it was one of the “living” ones—as she began to chip away at it. What the hell is it doing?! The Runner thought. If she breaks it, we have one less contestant!

The wax woman began to move less like the other wax woman, who by itself still made Michelle uncomfortable, and some of the was fell off of its arm. It just wasn't natural. She looked lifelike, eyes blinking, hair moving with the wind. Asteria, or whatever her name is, bowed at the waist at the wax figure. She looked solemn and respectful; curiosity got the best of the white-haired sprinter. The Runner moved closer to hear what she was saying, knocking into some pebbles. Without blinking, she threw one over at a pole behind the zombie girl, dispersing the sound. The specter spun on point around and shouted at the clock on the pole
“What are you doing there, girl?!”

Michelle knew she had cut it close this time, the Walker caught her image briefly. But she had seen what she had needed to see. Asteria's marker lay in the hands of the statue—the name changed to Euryale.

All it took was a flip of a well-toned arm and *thud*. Michelle was gone in a flash, only tarrying long enough to see on the floor, next to the creature, her marker's name roll over: Asteria.

Glere thought for a moment, pacing back and forth as Spender corrected himself and was floating upright once again. With a cheerful grin and bright eyes, Glere cheerfully announced:
"I have NO idea!" Glere said as he rummaged around in his cloak again. Spender's demeanor waned slightly, despite his best efforts.

"So, you're in a contest of fighting to the death, AGAINST your will, and you don't even know what you're fighting for?" he said, raising a brow. Partially out of surprise, partly disgust.
Glere just waved his hand dismissively at the question, as he shuffled through his cloak continually, before pulling out a coffee mug. He removed the pineapple head, replacing it once again with his trademark fishbowl. He ate the pineapple, skin and all, while occasionally sipping from the cup.
"Id's reawy nod aboud da compedision." He said while eating the pineapple, "ids-" he swallowed hard, then continued, "it's about the love of the game! Really, everything is a game in some context or another, just most of the time, such as now, we're playing by someone else's rules. But really though, those make for the most interesting times, as you have to adapt your style and choices to their logic and thinking." He finished the pineapple and whatever he had been drinking, throwing the cup back into the darkness of his cloak. He thought for a moment before reaching into his cloak and pulling out a real apple.

Spender blinked a few times in disbelief.
"...did you just eat a plastic pineapple?"

Glere thought for a moment.
"Yes. Yes I did. But let me ask you something. We're two out of seven contestants, vying in a wax works of HORROR. Perhaps we might be able to play more effectively if it becomes a two player event?" Glere said tossing the apple to Spender.

Spender relaxed just a fraction. He's definitely not an Anti, but he's a Nightmare, no question. Seems like a Shattered-level.*

Spender hurled the apple as high as he could and activated the coin in his mouth. He managed, somehow, to mime it as though he spat the coin at the apple, although nothing came out. Then, a moment later, something above, presumably the apple, exploded, and the mists swirled violently.

"I can respect the thrill of the game," he admitted, though his eyes were guarded. "It's something that the invaders play at all the time. EDF agents are trained to kill those Nightmares--and I specialize in the Shattered, powerful entities whose only weakness is their desire to be played with. We must deal with the absurd in a manner more befitting a life-or-death struggle; it is truly a horrible ordeal. However, there is a... sick sort of appeal. A twisted duality of no-consequence... and horrible-consequence."

Two coins appeared in his hand. "Tell me, Glere. Have you ever wanted... to fly?"

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
Glere tilted his head at the strange title of 'Nightmare'. He thought for a moment, he certainly wasn't a pleasant dream, but he was FAIRLY certain he was real. He poked himself repeatedly, and then pinched his arm. Spender's look of amusement slowly turned to one of annoyance.
"...what are you doing?" Spender asked, lowering the two coins for a moment.
"You said I was a Nightmare, so now I'm trying to wake up so I can get back to reality if that is the case!" Glere said indignantly. Spender took a deep breath.
"That's not what that means." Spender sighed heavily. Glere stopped poking himself.
"...ooooh. Well, I've flown a few times. Once in a hot air balloon, another time duct taped to the bottom of a jet... once out of a cannon, but sure, another go would be wonderful!" he said, delighted.

SpoilerShow
Spender let his grin widen a little bit. "Fantastic. As a player of games, I've sure you've at least seen the little coin-op machines? Well, just pretend you're using one of those, and when the menu comes up, ask for the "Superbowl Special." He paused a moment before offering Glere the coin. "This is important," he said. "The game won't start if you don't do it right, and I'd hate for you to miss such a fun event over a little 'mistake'.
Glere cocked his head to the side, looking interested but still barely registering the rule.
"Tell you what, I'll go first, and if it looks fun enough that you want to follow me, you have to do exactly as I said, okay?" Spender tossed Glere the spare coin and held his own in front of him with a flourish.

"Player one," he said, is voice echoing slightly, "Insert coin!"

The coin dropped into nothing, and with a slight electric buzz, Spender was swallowed up into nothingness. Half a heartbeat later, a foot long fighter jet appeared out of nothing, its engines screaming, a barely visible (copy of) Spender in the cockpit. It soared for a moment into the fog, then roared back and took several close passes on Glere's head.

"You can pick your own plane--including engine and weapons! You can't pick the scale, though; that's already set." Spender's voice seemed to echo from his location, if dimly. "No matter what you pick, you'll have to learn to fly it--and if you crash or get shot down, it's Game Over! Remember, ask for the 'Superbowl Special!'"

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Odinod.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Dragon Fogel.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Babel.

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by MyifanW.

I suppose I'll forgive you people for having lives. I suppose.