The Battle Majestic (Round 4 - Magpie Skies)

The Battle Majestic (Round 4 - Magpie Skies)
Re: The Battle Majestic (Round 1 - Bubble Universe)
Originally posted on MSPA by Schazer.

SpoilerShow

Sen's ear-gill-appendages twitched at Wolf's crooning growl. He stiffened a little as the canine approached, but some instinctive understanding kicked in that his ally was going to help tend to the World Tree.

He must not be of this world, Sen mused as the tangle of grass obstructing Wolf shrivelled away to let him through. Why he wanted to assist, though, Sen had no idea. It was almost certainly not for food, so... The Tender's thoughts seemed to scatter just as they were forced to coagulate, and he stopped worrying about it.

Wolf appraised the seedling, which only moments previously had qualified as more of a sprout on the scale of plant size. It was already as tall as Sen's lengthy fingers, and with leaves sprouting out every which way to take in the light. As Wolf leaned in closer to determine the faintly glowing plant's smell, a bud burst right in front of his nose in a verdant, leafy bouquet.

The wolf sprung back with surprise at this, and spotted the floating glove. His growl alerted the Tender, who shuffled around to also examine the disembodied hand. Sen bared his innumerable rows of needle-like teeth and snarled at the glove, fingers digging into the earth as he stood his ground against the interloper. The glove noticed something slithering through the grass beneath it, and decided the iron fence would be an equally good place to study the Tender and wolf from.

As it drifted off, Sen felt two things happen. They were rather related to each other, but the fact the glove had disappeared at the same time was coincidence. The first was an inaudible groan, and a surge in soil moisture beneath Sen's feet. Second was the disconsolate gurgle as the fountain's water supply was carved up by the rapacious, swift-growing roots of the World Tree.

Wolf, sensitive to shifts in the aural wallpaper of the battlefield, immediately noticed the fountain's malfunction, and loped over to examine it, sniffing round its base and scratching at a hatch which may've led somewhere had Wolf been in possession of some opposable thumbs. Sen offered no explanation, continuing to watch the glove with mistrust he did not even bother to disguise. The World Tree just kept growing. It was up to Sen's elbow, now, and averaged at least four inches diameter in the trunk; though its base had its roots all spreading like feet - a miniature homage to mighty, ancient giants of the forest.

The glove tapped its fingers thoughtfully against the ringingly responsive iron bars, when it felt a tremor resonating up their length. Something was furiously making tracks underground, and it wasn't just at this point. The ground in a twenty metre radius around the Tender was bucking and heaving. The tree had grown another foot, and Sen paid it little attention while the Glove had him so fixated.

Originally posted on MSPA by redskap.

Blitz followed the group, trailing behind a short way. Just because he wasn't fighting them right now didn't mean he need some sense of...camaraderie affecting his judgment. And with his son speaking up so often, there were distractions enough in his head.

A flash of white caught his eye. The one with the gloves...Stephen? Yes, that was it. He had his hands in his pockets, and Blitz saw a few white shapes flying away, looking almost like doves. So...he's got some magic mittens, hm? They must do more than just fly; otherwise he wouldn't be here. Perhaps they enhanced his strength or speed; or perhaps they did something else entirely. He didn't really care; as long as they weren't fighting, he wouldn't know the man's full capabilities.

The fire mage, Alex, ran past the group, and entered the Starbucks. That's a smart one, there. Real genius. There's an alliance forming, and it has nearly all your opponents in it? Sure, why not do the equivalent of flipping them the bird. It'll end up real well for you. Wykerr grinned and twitched. I just hope it's me that gets to take care of you, when the time comes. You may be able to burn, but I can butcher.

Vexmagog turned to everyone as he walked backwards. He began talking about recruiting more people to his cause, the suit being the first. He also said something about a wolf and...Sen? Blitz figured Sen was the green thing he had seen jumping around earlier. The more people that join this little gang, the more likely that anyone who opposes it is going to go down fast and hard. I'm going to have to keep acting...keep pretending until the end. An idea struck him as they neared the coffee shop. He delved into the recesses of his mind.

Son.
<Yes, Father?>
I'm going to rest, for now. You are going to have your body back.
<...W-what? Are...are you sure?>
Yes. This current situation calls for more...friendliness than I'm used to. You've got your mother's ways; it comes to you naturally.
<Oh...uh...thank you, Father! I...I guess...we won't be killing anyone, then?>
Oh, no, we'll be killing, there's no doubt about that. It just might be a while before the time is right. And that's when I'll come back, and it will be your time to rest.
The boy's response sounded less than ecstatic. <Oh...alright.>
The red began draining from Blitz's eye, slowly going back to it's normal cloudy white. Father was giving control over to his son.
And boy? Don't even think about telling them about me. I'll kill you myself if it comes to that.
Blitz didn't respond, but Father saw his silence as the resignation that it was.

An nearby explosion shook Blitz out of his reverie. It burst from the side of the coffee shop, and someone walked out of the ashen cloud it had made. It was Alex, the mage from before. Blitz hurried inside the shop, where everyone else seemed to be, hoping he wouldn't be seen. Fighting was for Father, and Alex seemed like someone who was in a fighting mood.

Inside the shop, there was lots of dirt and dust hanging in the air, undoubtedly from the impromptu exit Alex had made. Vex was finishing saying something to Jacob, the man he had seen disappear before. That armor and sword didn't seem to fit the style of his fancy business wear, but he must have had them for a reason. Blitz hung back by the door, watching the ice mage, John, fix the wall and mess around with coffee beans. A small smile appeared on his mouth, unmarred by any hidden intent or malice. <These people are not here to kill...they just want to get home, like me. We can do this.>

A quiet chuckle rang in his head, and with it came the feeling that he was acting like a child. The smile disappeared, and Blitz stared at the ground, leaning back against the wall. Hope was pointless. Father had shown him that more than enough.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Korbz.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Dragon Fogel.

Aryogaton, in Grand Battle Wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Not The Author.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Sruixan.

NotTheAuthor Wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

Black fluid trickled from a tap into what was clearly far too large a cup. Normally, the cup would have been called a 'small,' but Jacob was pouring espresso. There was little chance anyone else would notice the abnormal strength of the drink without tasting it, though, and he was not about to pour a second cup. Nabbing a cap, he inhaled deeply. <Nothing like the smell of fresh coffee...>
Something in this thought bothered him, but he brushed it aside as he took a sip. <Nothing quite like the taste, either.>
He sat down and took another sip as Alex entered the building. Jacob didn't pay the pyromancer much attention, though; he was preoccupied with his coffee.

SpoilerShow
Caffine was, in several ways, better than sugar, though the coffee had an excess of both. Jacob felt the energy coursing through his body and funneled it into his blade. The violet aura immediately returned, though at the moment it was still merely pinkish. He sighed and leaned back in his chair; leaned forward again when he remembered it was a stool. He vaguely noticed Alex had come around the counter. Jacob glanced towards his competitor, who was attempting to eat java beans. He was about to comment, when he realized it'd be more amusing not to.
"Blargh! Poison!" Jacob grinned, closing his eyes as he breathed in the bitter fumes once more.

Then half the building erupted outward.

Instantly, Jacob was on full alert, hand on his sword, eyes twitching about the room. Alex, presumably the source of the destruction, was on his way out through where a wall had been moments ago. <Note to self: Do not piss off Pyro.> Meanwhile, the main entrance to the cafe was occupied by four figures, Vex, followed by the Cryomancer, the kid with the Gloves, and the Cripple. Something was off about the latter two, but clearly none of them were there to fight. Jacob relaxed and sipped his drink, sword flickering up a couple of shades more.

"Hey, Jacob. I see you've met Alexander?"
The swordsman smirked. "Pff, met. If that's his introduction, I'd hate to start an honest conversation."
He slid from his perch, carefully navigating the rubble left from Alex's exit. "Ah, well. What's with the...?" He waved a hand towards the other three.

"We're headed to the Sun, to find a way out of this place. ...Coming?"
The thought of escape had crossed Jacob's mind several times before, but each time was discounted. He had several suspicions as to what contingency plans might have been laid, and was sure any attempt to flee would amount to nothing.

Jacob, however, was not stupid. <A charismatic leader is always difficult to kill, not because he himself is powerful, but because he has too many friends protecting him. Getting on his bad side now would certainly be fatal.>
He took another draught of his coffee, this time keeping the energy for himself. "Eh, why not? I was headed that way anyhow."
He nodded to Vex. "Lead the way."

Originally posted on MSPA by Drakenforge.

Wolf was intruiged by the tailless-paw that watched him and the pack leader. He stared at the blank tone the paw was coloured in*.
He turned his head to the side and looked back at the bark-hide-cub. It was taller than Wolf now. He sniffed at the foreign aroma it produced, and sneezed.
'What strange rituals this creature adopts. Back home, we feed the cubs with milk and sick after eating the prey until the cub can chew it's first meal. This cub can eat the unknown things in the soil, yet grows fast! It would take many moons for the soft-bark-hides to grow half that big'
Wolf whimpered slightly, worrying just how large the sapling would grow.

*For relevance's sake, I'll say Wolf can see in colour.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Baphomet.

SpoilerShow
Vexmagog decided it would be best, first, to make sure that his assumptions about Jacob's next course of action were correct before addressing the issue of Alex.

"We're going to the sun to find a way out of this place. Coming?" The man took another sip from whatever brew he had been concocting before replying.

"Lead the way."

Vexmagog suppressed a smile. Not only was everyone willing to see reason, but they also assumed him to be in a leadership role. The me of two centuries ago would have laughed at this.

He adjusted his cloak and began to reply with his reasoning. "I recall the director of this compet-"

John Swift interrupted, and tossed a handful of dark, dried seeds at Vexmagog. "Why the hell would someone leave half-eaten beans lying around?" To his surprise, they failed to fall to the floor, instead hovering in place.

This question would be ridiculous at face value. Perhaps these beans are some sort of humanoid cultural icon, or the question would not even be worth asking. "I do not know why anyone would do that. Why are these beans significant?"

"They're java beans," Jacob chimed in. "And they're significant to office workers and tired people everywhere."

Vexmagog's brow furrowed. "I am deeply sorry someone has desecrated your beans."

Several people suppressed laughter. Jacob chuckled into the first words of his reply. "No, look. I was joking. You brew a drink with them, and it wakes you up. They aren't really meant to be eaten, they don't taste very good. Alex tried to eat some and spit them out." Jacob walked around the counter.

Vexmagog didn't really get it, but smiled anyway. "Speaking of Alex, he has expressed disinterest in finding a means of escape from this place." The five left the building and began their trek towards the pylon as they spoke.

Jacob bore an expression indicating he was considering his reply carefully. He took another sip from his cup. "Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish here. What were you planning to do?"

"The humans who lived in this place prior to this game left. I would like to find out how they did it and, if possible, use their means of escape to take us somewhere where we can find a portal to take us each back to our respective homes."

"...And if there's not any escape pods left?"

Escape, to leave confinement. Pod, a small enclosure. So something you get inside, and it leaves. And there could be none left? So it must leave permanently. "Escape pods. I had assumed something more akin to a portal. Regardless, it seems foolish not to exhaust every contingency."

The gnawing in Vexmagog's gut grew. He knew he had been forcefully neglecting to consider certain possibilities. Two centuries of experience had taught him to. What will we do if there is no way to escape? Someone would have to die, and we would have to move on, I suppose. Hold out hope that eventually there would be a hole in S's defenses. If that doesn't come this round, it might not come the next, or the next. And then what? Eventually we will have to kill one of these four contestants. Or one of these four contestants will have to kill us. This is sick, but it's what we have to do. He winced only slightly as two more tendrils of purplish energy sputtered from his right arm and burned black chunks of coal into his flesh. He sighed audibly, and made sure he was sending the smell of clean air to everyone around him. This line of thought is bad for me. For everyone here. I need to relax.

The entire group had fallen silent, their journey becoming more somber. The only sound was their footfalls and muffled music from Jacob's coat pocket. Their cheer may be as low as mine, he thought. I could ask them to tell me about their home worlds, but it might hurt more than it helps. Or... he reached for the back of his belt, where he kept a small bag containing a few paltry personal possessions. He fumbled inside for a moment, and then withdrew an object made of wood with a bluish tint. Roughly spherical, fist-sized, with several protrusions in a row along one edge with holes in them. If Wolf is nearby, he may be alerted, he considered. We do not know his disposition. Though, there are five of us. I doubt the threat would be significant.

He raised the object to his mouth and blew into one of the protrusions, covering others with his fingers. A reverberating tone issued forth from it, and echoed through the alleyways of the business district as they passed through. With each breath of air issued, and each new configuration of covered holes, a new tone was produced. He blew a few notes, producing a short pattern, then began to play a cheerful, high-tempo song.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Weldar.

SpoilerShow

The left glove smashed into the unsuspecting Alexander's back at full speed.
"Argh. What the..."Alex stumbled forward a short distance and turned to face his assailant but was smashed in the side by another slightly weaker blow. This time however he managed to turn and face his opponet. He wasn't expecting that opponent to be a glove
"What? Hey wait aren't you one of those gloves that guy was we" the sentence was interrupted by another punch. "You know that is starting to get really annoying" he said as he drew his sword.

The glove nimbly managed to fly out the the path of the first few strikes but soon Alex managed to get a good hit in. The glove went flying downwards, smashed into the ground with a thud and skidded a short distance before stopping.
"Hmph, that's show you."
However much to Alexander's surprise the glove got up in one piece, in fact it appeared to be completely unharmed, not so much as a scratch in it. And it look angry, well as angry as a plain white glove can look.

Meanwhile the right glove still sat atop the iron bar tapping, and waiting. The green beast didn't appear to be too fond of it. It reminding the glove of a mother with it's child, although that plant wasn't exactly it's child, or maybe it was. And what about the Wolf? There was definitely mentions of similar creatures in Steven's stories about his homeworld but it didn't remember anything about them caring for plants. And what of the plant itself, it was growing fast, very very fast and it was killing all the other plants around this. It's warm feeling from before had vanished, it did not like this one bit, there was something sinister about these beasts and their plant.

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

Sen skipped along the crests of the roots exposed at the World Tree's base. Thicker than the slender beast which had raised it, and nearly tall enough for him to strut beneath its leaves without hitting his head. Most of the grass was gone, now, either churned up in the mess caused by a marauding root, or persuaded by Sen to empty the ballast and succumb to wilting, irreversible plasmolysis. Every footfall onto a sturdy root overloaded the Tender's brain with feedback from the Tree; a rushing wealth of information that each time, for the time taken for one neural leap, let Sen be the World Tree. The curious, finger-tapping jig which the glove mistakenly considered as agitation instead provided Sen with a pulsing, heart-beat image of the local terrain.

It told him where barriers to growth there were, and how obstructive they would be. The stone foundations of the park fence were one, but minor compared to some hulking metal structure beneath the fountain, under the ground. Disconcertingly, some fresh reports were coming in that there was an extensive source of metal right beneath the tree, leaching its toxins into the ground. The order to spread rushed through the root system, gravity no longer a powerful directive for the World Tree's roots. Instead, more of them started to tackle the fence's foundations, the revebrations as the concrete grated against the roots travelling up to the now thoroughly concerned glove.

Sen was not keen on having more delays. Loping along one root before leaping to another in the Glove's direction, not having to touch ground until by the fence, the Tender tick-clicked a warning to the entity before digging his claws into the soil.

For a moment, nothing happened, save for the graunching of root on underground stone ceasing. Then from a furrow in the earth, which signified a root previously carving that same path below the surface, sprung more thin, pale, glowing shoots. As they lashed up the bars and started to thicken in an attempt to bend the iron, the Glove decided to take its leave. This really was more than what one glove could be expected to handle on its own. Sen snickered a little victory cry, and returned to pacing around the main trunk. Its growth had slowed a little while Sen had drifted further off, but now it was starting to get large enough that the Tender's influence seemed to have little effect on the rate of growth.

Black eyes stared up through the leaves, searching for something but failing to spot it. Undeterred, Sen crouched at the World Tree's foot and stared across the city.

Originally posted on MSPA by Drakenforge.

Wolf's ear pricked up at the below of sound eminating from several hundred metres beyond the fence. A short burst, a small pause, then another at a different tone. Wolf's animal instinct told him that sound that pitch was annoying. But, a small unkown part in the back of wolf's heart told him to be calm, enjoy the strange melody.
Must be a tailless. I still smell tham, but I will not go near the danger smell. No, it is peaceful with the pack leader... Well, as long as i'm its underling. How strange that the bark-skin grows both above and below ground.
He hopped on top of a large root to save himself being surrounded and lay down on his paws.
The odd tune continued to play, and Wolf began to hum along. An idea struck him. He may be exiled from wolf kind, but he was still the wolf he knew he was.

He stood and bent his head high in the air and bellowed a howl towards the unomving-lazy-eye-sun. Wolf filled the sound eminating from his chest with emotions of calm, peace and purpose. I am well, He gave meaning to the howl as well, I have purpose. I will remain. Do not call me further, strange one. Only call when there are enemies to rend or prey to devour
He lay back down, content that someone would understand him. And if not, the howl would keep them away.

Originally posted on MSPA by Sruixan.

Schazer Wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Dragon Fogel.

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
John started thinking to avoid the tune played by Vex. Man, I hope I do get home soon, someone there owes me money. Or did I owe them money? Doesn't matter. Wait, I should strategize or something. Goat-guy has that rock arm thing and the guy with the liquid has a sword and a musical suit or something like that. The guy with the gloves...He doesn't seem very special at all, so he could be easy to take out. Alex is annoying with his fire, and the wolf is a wolf. I can easily kill wolves, so that should be my target. But what about the green dinosaur? Should we attack it, or is it a good green dinosaur guy person thingy? Ugh, I hate thinking, it hurts my head. When John snapped out of thinking, he was a snowman again. "Oops, didn't mean to do that. I guess I'll keep it on for now, it is rather comfy." He started waddling with the group.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Weldar.

SpoilerShow

Steven walked in silence listening to Vaxmagog's tune. Cheery, very... faun like.Steven smirked and looked over at Vex. A funny looking instrument that one but I guess that's the be expected.Steven glanced around at the other members of the group. Jacob and Blitz were walking ahead silently, perhaps lost in thoughts like himself. John it seemed had turned into snowman again making him a little harder to read. A little unusual that one. But then again aren't we all, that's why we're here. Still...
"Vex do you mind if I ask you something?" Steven asked during a small break in the music.

"Of course not, go ahead."
"If we can get out of this bubble what exactly do you plan on doing if we leave?"
"What exactly do you mean."
"Well you've talked about all of us returning home but it seems very likely to me that most of us come from different worlds, perhaps even totally different universes. The inhabitants of this bubble seem to have been human and they may still be nearby but we have no idea what they're like, most of the human contestants here can do things I'd never expect to see in my homeworld, who knows how they'd react to us. If we do find some sort of portal we'd be stuck where they are."
Originally posted on MSPA by Kaitostrike.

SpoilerShow

Jacob's hand twitched to Vex's tune, pseudo-conducting as though he had some semblance of control over the flow of the music. His gaze wandered about the scenery - if chunky concrete, steel, and glass towers could be called 'scenery' - as his thoughts wandered nowhere in particular.
SpoilerShow
"Someone's gonna want someone dead."
The thought worried him, as it brought him back to the paradox inherent in Blitz. He had no apparent weapons, and had come in severely injured. Despite the pasifistic turn this "battle" had taken, the original intent was clearly as a spectator sport - generate fights between combatants of considerable and varying skill for the amusement of others. <...So why the cripple?>

Jacob decided it'd be better to find out while they were theoretically on friendly terms. Shifting his pace, he came astride Blitz and, without looking at him, began to speak. "I don't get it."

The young man turned his head. "Get what?"
"You." Jacob glanced at him from the corner of his eye, watching for any sudden moves. "I mean... we're supposed to be killing each other right now, but, no offense, you don't really seem very dangerous. If things turn sour, what's to keep - say, Alex from slicing off your head?"
Internally, Jacob winced. He'd only barely managed to keep from saying 'me,' <And who knows how that conversation would've played out...>

Vexmagog's ears picked out a low, distant howl amidst his song. Sen made clicking and chirping noises. The rest of these people seem to speak the same language. That must be Wolf, and he sounds like he is near the park on the opposite end of the sphere. He turned and looked up vaguely in the direction of the noise, still playing his tune. The grass has grown. The trees are...they're being uprooted? Something is moving below the ground, and it's spreading from... He followed the movements to their center and saw, far in the distance, a ring of cleared grass, something green moving in it, and a gray speck. They were near a concrete circle, which he correctly guessed to be another fountain, exactly opposite from the base of the pylon. The gray shape is likely wolf. Good that we don't have to worry that he is coming to the pylon to turn off the air. Bad that I failed to find him and prove my good intentions first. I don't think it would be a good idea to walk such a distance and then return--best to continue on our current path.

Their journey continued, and Vex felt that his spirits had been sufficiently raised. He hoped that meant his comrades' had been raised as well. He allowed the song to trail off and turned to inspect his followers, again walking backwards.

John swift has covered himself in ice again. I am not sure what that means. Maybe it is easier for him to travel that way, somehow. Blitz is different. He seems nervous. I am certain one of his eyes was red before, and now it is not. Jacob appears to be deep in thought, reminiscing on past experiences, perhaps.

Steven, who I know least about, still seems troubled.
He smiled and nodded to the man, who took it as a cue to ask a question of him.

"Vex, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Of course not, go ahead."

"If we can get out of this bubble what exactly do you plan on doing if we leave?"

If we get out of this bubble, we have already left. Does he mean afterwards? Surely he understands we are to find a portal elsewhere. Perhaps there was meaning in the question that I don't understand. "What exactly do you mean?"

"Well you've talked about all of us returning home but it seems very likely to me that most of us come from different worlds, perhaps even totally different universes. The inhabitants of this bubble seem to have been human and they may still be nearby but we have no idea what they're like, most of the human contestants here can do things I'd never expect to see in my homeworld, who knows how they'd react to us. If we do find some sort of portal we'd be stuck where they are."

He seems to be insinuating that any means of escape from this place would invariably lead us to the same place as the former inhabitants went. Perhaps that is how these "escape pod" things work. But it would be foolish to send them somewhere else where they would be cut off from their peers. Before he could convert the result of his musings into words, Jacob increased his pace to stand next to Blitz with a bothered expression.

"I don't get it," He said to Blitz, not looking at him. This could be problematic, but it will likely answer some questions. He raised one finger to Steven, indicating that he would answer his question momentarily, then returned his instrument to his satchel.

Blitz turned to face his inquisitor.
"Get what?"

His voice is different. The language is the same, but the expressiveness behind it has changed. Is he afraid? He seemed fairly assured of himself before.

"You. I mean... we're supposed to be killing each other right now, but, no offense, you don't really seem very dangerous. If things turn sour, what's to keep - say, Alex from slicing off your head?"

This is where I should intercede. I don't want them to start an argument. Vexmagog interrupted the two men.

"Gentlemen, both you and Steven raise convergent points, and something I think we should all discuss if we are to trust one another."

"Steven, to address your first point, I doubt they would escape from here just to be stranded somewhere else. They must have a means of traversing this universe. And they would likely know where to find a portal to traverse others. You think they would react negatively to us because of our unique powers? I take it such abilities are not typically manifested in humans, and the present company is a bit of an anomaly. Regardless, most of us here look human enough." Vexmagog routed through everyone's mind an image of a tall human man with unkempt hair and a goatee in his place. He wore a long green coat and brown pants, with a large black glove over his right hand. "Those of us who do not, I can make accommodations for." He removed the image and smiled broadly.

Vexmagog scratched his right arm and saw that the purple energy had receded back down to mid-forearm, though the black chunks remained embedded in his skin almost up to his elbow. He grabbed the largest and began to pull. "That is more or less what I do. I can make people see things that aren't there. I am sure you are curious about the arm, as well."

He managed to pry the end of one stone up, revealing a raw void in his flesh, some of which still clung to the stone as it came loose. The hole immediately pooled with blood. "It is the remains of a god, and the reason I am no longer one."

The last edge of the stone tore free and he dropped it to the ground. The blood began to trickle down his arm, but a dark brown scab began to creep in around the edges of the wound. He grabbed a second black chunk and began to slowly tear it loose. "It is my burden to ensure that this being does not return to power."

A second trickle of blood ran down his arm as he dropped the second stone. The hole left by the first had already entirely scabbed over. "Negative thoughts on my part give it strength. Positivity is my weapon. I am usually its keen wielder, though the present circumstances have left me a bit disarmed."

The third stone was torn free, and after a quick inspection Vexmagog saw no more that could be removed. He dropped the stone as this wound began to cover itself as well. "Also, for the sake of completeness, I can translate into any language, as long as there is a native speaker of that language nearby. I do not naturally speak english. So, that is my story, and what I bring to the group. Jacob, you have that sword, though presumably that is not the extent of it. S said 'quantum magic,' I believe, though the definition of 'quantum' is a little unclear to me. John, you can obviously create and control ice, and I have observed you moving things without touching them, as well. Steven's gloves have the power to create and destroy, which I would very much like to hear about. And Blitz, I have seen you creating sparks from your hand. S also said something about your father, you being asleep, and I've noticed that your eye has changed color. Not to put you under scrutiny, but I'd be very interested to hear your tale." Vexmagog looked back and forth at everyone else in the group. "To hear all of your tales, actually."

SpoilerShow

Sen let himself relax a little as the glove beat a retreat. The rhythmic pulse of the World Tree growing beneath his feet, steadily sonorous, calmed the Tender. Glancing over at Wolf, Sen noted his ally was handling the appearance of a monstrous tree rather well; navigating the new terrain of roots without too much trouble. The Tree was at least three- no, four metres tall now, with a trunk nearly a metre thick.

Vexmagog's refrain fluted through the colony. Sen had never heard music before, but this reminded him of the complex exultations of birds. The pitch grated at Sen's hearing, making the Tender tchlick-snarl with irritation. Wolf howled back in a tone Sen read as proud defiance; which was a nice sentiment, but all the noise was starting to get on the Tender's nerves.

Sen strode over the roots and prepared to cuff Wolf over the head, but he stopped before the Tender reached him. The grey beast glanced up at the approaching green one, and couldn't help but think Sen looked much more dangerous. The Tender's mouth was fixed in a face-splitting half-snarl, and the World Tree was now climbing for the sun at a visible rate. Because of the curved nature of the ground, it looked like it was bearing down on them, looming over the approaching Sen.

Wolf wasn't sure what the Tender wanted, but could tell it was agitated. The twitching crests indicated it might've been the music, but Wolf understandably was struggling in gauging the alien's external emotions. Fingers rapping agitatedly against bark, head twitching as if to dislodge an insistent fly, Wolf followed Sen's eyes to the next root over. To Wolf's concern, the bark was rippling as though something alive was struggling beneath it.

A sapling tore through the thick root-bark, and started spreading its own blast zone of more appropriately-sized roots around it as it grew at a frenetic pace. Wolf looked around the clearing of roots that radiated out from the main tree, and saw several more springing up. Sen was turning the whole park into a forest - but a forest composed of a single plant.

Sen refocused on Wolf. The Tender no longer possessed its former calm demeanour; in fact, a constant stream of clicks and snarls poured from its mouth as it stalked through the rapidly developing grove. Hissing in an irksome manner at poor Wolf, the Tender returned to the base of the central tree, and grabbed a low-lying branch before pulling himself into the canopy of the behemoth. From his vantage point, the Tender surveyed the mess of roots. The music finally, thankfully, ceased; but Sen was working himself into a frenzy which spurred on the Tree beneath his digits. Most of the park had been carpeted over with thick roots now, and the Tree had finally found the main exit and was carving up the roads.

Sen snickered, and shifted the allocation of growth within the burgeoning network. Moments later, a sapling burst out from the middle of the road.