The Battle Majestic (Round 4 - Magpie Skies)

The Battle Majestic (Round 4 - Magpie Skies)
Re: The Battle Majestic (Round 1 - Bubble Universe)
Originally posted on MSPA by Not The Author.

<You should've gone to the future,> was the first thing to pop into Jacob's mind upon being released from his bubble. <You might have been able to find something that would get you out of this mess right now. Like a portable Vortex, or something. But no, you went to the past, and now who knows what the hell's gonna happen.> Jacob ignored this thought, as he'd had it before and did him no good.

There were seven others around nearby (he could still see some of them getting their bearings), and they'd probably be trying to kill one another soon. That was the deal, right? It was just another mission, after all... only he wouldn't be getting paid this time. <Combat for entertainment, huh? Nothing new, but still! Those bast- No, no, they said they were working for someone else. Who would-> It was around this point Jacob realized standing around and thinking wasn't going to do him any good.

He looked 'up' at his goal. If he could off all the other combatants at once, as he most likely could from the 'Sun', then this 'Majestic Battle' or whatever the hell wouldn't need to drag on for howevermany more rounds. But since he was in (or at least near) a town anyway, there was an important stop he had to make first. There'd probably be one near the center of the town. It was a human colony, after all.

Scanning the rooftops, he spotted a smaller park about halfway to the Sun Tower, sporting a large fountain and adjacent to a wide, domed building. <City hall. Bingo.> He trudged off across the park with an air of importance, sword stabbing intermittently into the soil.

Jacob muttered his hopes under his breath: "There better be a goddamn Starbucks..."

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by redskap.

Blitz stood, his blind eye glowing red. He had been about to pounce on an unsuspecting couple who were relaxing on a park bench when he was taken. He was a bit irked at that, but the explanation that had been given was slowly sinking in. The corner of his mouth twitched. A place...made for slaughter? We were all brought here to fight? The twitch turned into a small grin. This is...unexpected. Quite the pleasant surprise. Electricity crackled around his body, the energy focusing around his left arm. He raised his bandaged hand before his face and clenched it into a fist. An arc of lightning shot out from his arm in a random direction, striking a nearby tree and setting it aflame. He glanced over at it, the branches already cracking and twisting, and his grin grew into a genuine smile. I might finally find someone that will put up a decent fight.

Wykerr looked around, trying to make out anyone near him. In the distance, he saw a well-dressed man, sauntering toward what seemed to be the center of this strange, spherical city. He had a sword and some simple metal armor. He didn't look like much of a challenge. Blitz chuckled softly. You will be the first. But take heart: you won't be the last. He focused some of the electricity in his body to start flowing through his legs, and he started off to...City Hall, perhaps? Yes, that seemed right. He moved quickly and silently, his blood-red scarf flapping behind him. I'll watch him for a while...see what he's capable of. His smile became so wide that it looked like it had to be cracking his jaw. Don't feel bad, boy...after all...

"There can be only one, right?"

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Kaitostrike.

Alexander was relaxing under his tree when he was disturbed by someone yelling.He looked in the direction of the noise to see some idiot fighting a tree.
"An Ice mage?Perfect."
Alex grabbed his sword and charged him from behind.

Originally posted on MSPA by The Dr..

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Korbz.

John was once again attacking a tree, for whatever reason when he heard something coming from somewhere....behind him. He turned around to search for anything, and only saw some kid running towards him. The nerve of some people, let's see if he likes icicles in his face. John shot a sharp icicle out of his fingertips that was heading straight for Alexander.
Alex easily dodged the icicle, and ran towards the fool. As Alex reached him, he slashed several times, though the mage dodged most of the attacks. Eventually, Alex slashed the boy and drew blood.
John fell over and pressed his 'hand' over the wound. "You jerk! You cut me!" He shot ice behind him to create a path, then kicked at Alex, who blocked with his sword. "Perfect." John slid backwards on the ice, and got far enough away for him to be able to make a sort of igloo for protection. Inside his igloo, he wielded his staff and started channeling magic into it. "Let's see him dodge this." He shoved his staff into the ground and it created small icicles around the igloo that would instantly 'heat-seek' anything above their temperature which unfortunately just made them flail around uselessly, but getting smacked by one of them would probably hurt.
SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Baphomet.

Vegmagog thought quickly about his situation. Quick thinking had gotten him out of many scrapes in his expansive past, and he felt confident that it would get him out of this one. A battle to the death, he thought, especially with more than two contestants, would be won easiest by one who stayed out of the way. His bubble came to rest in an abandoned alleyway of some sort of shopping center, and deposited him unceremoniously between a dumpster and a brick wall. Though there's no thrill in that, no party. He mentally reviewed the speech he had just heard as he leaned against the dumpster. Just "gentlemen" here, though. Not much of a party anyway.

"A nice change of scenery" implies what, another setting? So they expect one to die in each location, with the remainder taken to the next. That would be unfortunate if I were to remain in the background as the number dwindled. They might forge alliances, and I might be the remainder.

Let them forge their alliances. Find who is stronger in them, and make them kill the weaker. It will hurt more that way.

Vexmagog shook his head and held his right arm in front of his face, frowning beneath the fur. He knew from two centuries of experience that the best way to resist that draw was to take the most divergent course of action. He let his arm drop back against his side. I will go find them. Make my presence known. Perhaps find a way out of this game. Make alliances myself. Let another who hides in the shadows be the remainder when the time comes. Then I... He stopped that train of thought. He knew it ended with "will be the one to hurt them," but something approximating denial forced him to redirect.

The birdlike creature with the pods, "Sen", and the four-legged "wolf" creature, they are the most bestial. With the exception of those two and "John Swift," the other combatants are all the same species. They're also the same race from Magog's dimension of origin, or at least superficially similar. "Human." A common pattern for life, perhaps? Or perhaps they are from the same world, a world I now regret leaving with such haste. Differences cause discomfort, and familiarity the opposite, so I am at a disadvantage with at least four of the other combatants. Half. Those four have each other to look to, while the remaining three have no one. They would probably be the most accepting of a call to rally around me. Also, causing the ones who look like humans to antagonize the non-human-looking combatants would assist me if they were suddenly to see the other humans as something else. We'll see. A brief disconcerted look crossed his face. I'll see, I mean.

He stepped away from the dumpster and frowned at it. Against the side where his hand was resting, the metal had shifted. It looked as if it were a malleable surface against which a human on the other side had pressed his face and hands, screaming in agony. It writhed and shifted as the nonexistent man clawed at his nonexistent prison and cried out, though mute. Vexmagog let out a short sigh and padded out of the alleyway on the tips of his foot-fingers into the artificial sunlight.

Another being from his world would have been uncomfortable with the inability to view the crystal spheres, a view afforded by his plane's expansive mountain range. The mountain range Vex had helped create, and the crystal spheres Vex had helped place in the sky all those eons ago. Inconvenient though this is, it will at least afford me an opportunity for mischief in unfamiliar locations. He smiled, the fur on his face parting to reveal two unexpectedly pristine rows of white teeth. I might even have some fun.

Originally posted on MSPA by Schazer.

The Tender mulled over the surprising developments while admiring the view afforded from an office block in what a civilised, post-21st century being would've recognised as the business district of the inside-out globe. A melodious, slightly whispery trill filled the air as Sen warbled an unheard rally to any other Tenders that might've been about; but of course, there were none. The slender fingers of one hand rapped, one after the other, on the cast-concrete roof in a mimicry of a human doing the same with their own fingers in a contemplative fashion. A human's fingers, though, would've been hard-pressed to pepper the concrete with little indentations like Sen's pointed fingertips had managed.

Sen was not thinking, as such. He was researching; and the results of his unconscious data collation did not please him. This surface he stood on was too dry, too barren, and seemed incapable of holding moisture. The whole structure, on the whole, seemed rather unstable; weak. An unsuitable throne to begin a conquest from.

Stalking with a gait not unlike a wading bird's to the office block's edge, Sen surveyed the soon-to-be battlefield, staring up curiously at the mockery of a sun. The botanical progeny knew at a glance (or, at least, the tickle of radiation on his pale-green skin during said glance) this orb was not the implacable, ever-toiling sky-journeyman of his homeworld, nor the same ilk as the distant stars which shared in the hurtling dark.

Sen's brain processed this information, the neural pinball rapping out a mental Morse code that the pods picked up on. A reply (of sorts) hurtled back into the mess that was the Tender's mind, affirming that though it was less than ideal, it would suffice until the true source of this world's power could be tapped into.

The green giant processed this, and saw a patch of green off in the distance. He supposed if the competition were surviving there, it'd do for the World Tree. Pacing around the perimeter, and deciding the ground was an inconveniently large distance away, Sen picked a corner and ran full tilt, sharp fingers on the left limb digging into the safety barrier as the right limb thrust away from the ground with surprising force despite their slenderness.

The Tender sailed through the air, and landed with a few clumsy steps on the neighbouring, slightly shorter building. He rolled onto a shoulder to lessen the impact, the pod cracking loudly, but unharmed, at the point of impact. Sen stood, and picked his next jump.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Dragon Fogel.

Schazer Wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Vexmagog continued to follow the shopping strip upwards, inspecting the foreign characters depicted on the walls, windows, and doors as he went. I wonder if this is the language the others speak, he mused. If it is, I'll bet this is their universe, and they could be taken to their homes. Maybe... his head raised to face the sun globe above him, maybe this place can be controlled. Steered. I'm sure they still have their portal technology. They could send me home, too.

The shopping strip gave way to a city street. It and three others formed a large square, encompassing a greener space dotted by trees. A fountain, still somehow functional, served as a constant source of white noise. It was circled by a walkway leading up to an ornate structure with a dome. I will have to bring one of the human contestants here to use their language. Of course, this space is open enough. It's likely some would be able to see me from here, where they may come and investigate. I can only hope one doesn't die before I get a chance to test my theory, who knows whether the next setting will afford an opportunity for escape?

Vexmagog was somewhat inconvenienced by the fact that he would have to learn these beings' language again. He had to use a sort of unconscious telepathy to speak in anything but his native tongue, using another being's mind as a conduit through which he found the right words in their language. It came, he thought, from the same power as the one he used to alter senses--acting as a sort of barrier between two parts of the target's consciousness through which he controlled the flow of information. While it meant he could communicate with practically anything that had a language, he still found it tiring.

He was snapped out of his thoughts by a sound, heard over the noise of the fountains. A high trill, like a bird, coming from somewhere in the mass of buildings on the opposite side of the city square. That doesn't sound like the language "S" used, nor the ones the humans I knew used. I doubt John Swift has vocal cords that could produce such a tone, either. That means either Sen or Wolf. He began to cross the soft-but-overgrown grass in the lawn of the central building to investigate.

Originally posted on MSPA by Kaitostrike.

"Hah,hide in your igloo you little f-"Alexander's rant was interrupted by an icicle to the face."Heat seeking eh?Well,seek this!"He then set the grass on fire and created a circle of fire around where the two were fighting.
"Get out here and fight me!" he yelled,while launching several fireballs at the igloo.

John's igloo wouldn't be able to hold itself together if that punk continued pelting it with fire.And he knew the perfect way to stop him...
Alex continued assaulting the icy housing,only to be stopped by a large icicle,that had managed to sneak behind him,piercing through his chest.
"GRAAHH!"A scream followed by a flash of flames,enveloping the area.All the ice had melted,including the igloo,and the grass had been singed.

John had managed to remain mostly unscathed,but the flash of light blurred his vision.After retaining composure,he saw that Alex was nowhere to be seen...
Not far away,a wounded Alexander tried to regain composure and stay hidden from his foe,whom he wouldn't underestimate again.
SpoilerShow

-fftch- -fftch- -fftch- -chtnk-

Jacob paused as his sword struck concrete. He'd as yet only seen three of his opponents. Two were already fighting each other across the park; he could probably ignore them safely. No, it was the other five that worried him. They were just... around somewhere, perhaps fighting each other, perhaps trying to get to the 'Sun', perhaps planning ahead and setting traps. One of them, the... green, um... thing... was jumping about on the rooftops, approaching the park. Well, he wouldn't be there when it arrived.

He resumed walking, albeit at a somewhat quicker pace. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his watch and flipped it open. The 'since departure' clock wasn't running - <But of course it isn't. Didn't use the Vortex... Well, it hasn't been that long, anyway.> He depressed one of the small knobs ringing the watch, and the hands resumed their orbit. There were still a couple of things off, but he'd deal with those once he'd had coffee. Snapping the brass disk shut again, he held it to his ear. Sure enough, it was still ticking away quietly, albeit not as one might expect. Smiling, he returned the timepiece to it's rightful place and kept going.

He was struck, then, by the familiar feeling of being followed. Someone else might have turned around, but Jacob figured no one would be there. They usually weren't, either because they were good enough at stalking that he'd not noticed them earlier, or because they were a figment of his imagination. Either way, he realised he should pick up the pace.

Without breaking stride, Jacob envisioned the street ahead drawing together, the buildings seeming to deflate as the space between them shrank. A vertical circle of space just in front of him rippled slightly. The circle was about three meters in diameter, but was stuck about half a meter in the ground. It was practically invisible, except the horizon didn't quite sync up... or wouldn't have, had there been a horizon. The effect was much more pronounced at an angle, as the faces of the buildings seen through the circle weren't those of the ones lining the street around it. Jacob entered (and at once exited) the longest shortest tunnel in the city, a single step the length of a block.

Tunnel vanishing in his wake, he smiled, but his smile faded with the last of his sword's faint magenta hue.

He was going to need that coffee.

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

"That coward disappeared! The wimp couldn't even beat an ice mage in a fight, being a fire mage." John covered his wound with ice and walked towards the city area. "Actually, I have an idea." He stopped, and sat down channeling magic into his staff. He covered himself in a large snowman. "This may make me a walking target, but it's comfy. Plus, a useful shield." He began waddling towards the city area again.
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow

Blitz had been following the suit for a short while, when he suddenly just...vanished. He was walking down the center of the street, and then he wasn't. Hmm. Intriguing. Either teleportation or invisibility. Wykerr quickly ducked into a dark alley, hiding in case the sudden disappearance was a forerunner to an attack. Either way, he's not going to be as easy as I thought. If he's got that, there's probably more I haven't seen yet. He gave a few short chuckles, not caring that it might give away his position should the suit be searching for him. Good. I've been getting bored of these easy targets. One electrical pulse and they're already done? I mean, you could at least try to defend yourself before your hair catches on fire and your eyes explode. He shook his head.

The suited man would have made his move by now, had he been searching for Blitz. He wasn't in the area. "Distracting myself. Not smart to do, seeing as there's six others I haven't seen yet." Maybe I should fix that. The distance between the buildings in the alley was great, but not large enough to prevent an electrically charged superhuman from wall-jumping from side to side. A few hard kicks brought him to the top of the short construction, slightly winded, but smiling all the same. It seemed to be some sort of small firm. From his new vantage point (which didn't offer a lot of new sights, given that they were inside a large sphere and most of the area was visible from the ground), he did happen to see some sort of snow creature, shuffling towards the city. What kind of battle is this? What kind of monsters have been brought here? He made a dismissive noise. No matter. They'll all die eventually. By my hand or otherwise.

A movement, barely seen from the corner of his eye, caught his attention. Some huge...green...plantlike...thing was leaping from rooftop to rooftop, appearing to head towards the larger park, the one the snow-thing was leaving. The suit had been headed to the park with the fountain before he disappeared. Wykerr grinned widely. And lo, he is brought like a lamb to the slaughter... Not an exact quote, but close enough. A little contextual editing never hurt anyone. Let's stick with the dapper dandy. His left arm twitched violently. "I need to see some blood!"

He started toward the edge of the roof, his blind eye growing darker red, when a small, timid voice spoke in the back of his head. <Please, Father, don't. Don't do this. You've done enough for today. Rest. Let me come back.> He stopped. Oh, the boy's finally woken, eh? He smiled. Sorry, son. This is a place made just for me. A place for death. If I let you take control, you'll get us both killed. So just watch. Learn what I am trying to teach you. The world is a never-ending cycle of suffering, and this..."competition" simply purifies that fact. So watch. Watch me help the cycle.

Slightly calmer, Wykerr jumped down from the roof, his roll absorbing most of the damage. He began walking toward the fountain and park, making sure his son stayed quiet, but still aware. The boy would need to see this. He would need to see the suffering his father could cause.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Weldar.

Scrap that, I don't have time now, sorry.

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Schazer.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Dragon Fogel.

SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by yousodumb.

Feel free to ignore this.
SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by cyber95.

yousodumb Wrote:Feel free to ignore this.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by yousodumb.

SpoilerShow

Not The Author Wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Originally posted on MSPA by Weldar.

Steven looked down at his completed weapons , a small handgun and a short sword. He sheathed the sword and tucked the gun into his jacked pocket, they weren't much but it had to be better than nothing, right? A strange shrill screech echoed across from the other side of the dome. Steven shuddered, it was an unfamiliar sound. Probably the unfamiliar creature he guessed. Though it could have been the Satyr, Steven wasn't exactly familiar those and there was the wolf which apparently wasn't a wolf. For all he knew it could have been any of the contestants, most of them looked human enough but he knew that often meant little. Whatever it was it was on the other side of the sphere and Steven couldn't, the globe in the centre was blocking his view.
'Well I guess there's only one way to find out"
Steven began walking toward what he guessed was the general direction of the source, he still wasn't too keen on fighting but hiding from everyone wasn't going to help, at the very least he would have to watch what his opponents were capable of, maybe if he was lucky he could even strike up some sort of alliance and if he he had to fight, well at least he was armed now.

SpoilerShow

John was still walking, but was getting closer to the city. "Weird, you'd think someone would attack a large walking snowman. Oh well, I guess I'll keep walking."
SpoilerShow