The Great Belligerency [Round 4: Static]

The Great Belligerency [Round 4: Static]
Re: The Great Belligerency [Round 2: New Shambhala]
Originally posted on MSPA by Dragon Fogel.

The mob advanced on Balance. Their numbers did not concern him; what bothered him was that they were staggered.

They had figured out that Balance was trying to even the numbers throughout the city. As a defense, every human stood near a non-human, reasoning that the numbers were more than likely uneven by now.

And so, Balance would be restricted in who he could target. He could not strike an alien and a human - especially not now, as Reinhardt's forces were leading the slaughter. If he killed one of each, he would only perpetuate the imbalance.

"I must give you credit. In grouping yourselves together, you have established balance. But, it is not enough to redress the lopsided population of the rest of the city," he said, stepping back as he looked for the human he could most safely strike. "Non-humans are dying in large numbers as we speak, and so..."

Whatever Balance was about to say was interrupted, as he was grabbed by a large, meaty, bug-covered arm and then pulled into the air.

"Let me make one thing clear, Balance," Cole said, flying up higher. "I despise gods. You think that humanity, for all its intelligence, is nothing more than a plaything."

"What is with you mortals and your insolence today?" Balance shouted back. He carefully tried to hide how much the bioelectric shock was irritating him; it would be undignified to lecture a mortal while wincing from his touch, after all.

"I was about to say that killing you is a lower priority than killing Reinhardt, but if you keep talking like that, I may change my mind," Cole said, as he flew towards one of the looming walls. "Now, take your stupid walls down unless you want to crash right into one."

The terminal in Reinhardt's new office indicated an incoming call. He answered it, to see that it was one of his soldiers.

"Sir, this is Squad Delta. We have a situation. Thought we should talk to you about it."

"What is it? Were my orders unclear?"

"Well, sir, we just came across something unusual. A group of humans and non-humans standing together... some of them came over and told us that some lunatic calling himself the 'God of Balance' has been slaughtering indiscriminately, saying that he has to make the numbers of the humans and nonhumans match up. He also said something about being the one who put the crazy walls up all over the place."

"Troubling. And why, exactly, are humans and nonhumans standing together?"

"According to the witnesses, they'd stopped fighting each other to do something about him, but then some winged nonhuman flew in and took him away... What do you want us to do?"

"I gave you orders regarding aliens, did I not?"

"Well, yes, sir, but the humans..."

"The humans are most likely sympathizers to the terrorist cause. This 'God of Balance' sounds like a ploy to distract us. Eliminate all of them before the rumor can spread any further, and do not speak to anyone else about this. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir. Squad Delta, out."

The terminal shut off. Reinhardt had by now learned how to operate it, with the girl's help; he could take no chances here.

"Squad Gamma, I have an assignment for you."

"Sir?"

"Squad Delta has gone rogue. Eliminate them. Leave no survivors. I will contact the other squads to support you."

"Gone rogue? Sir, what happened..."

"There will be time for an explanation later. You have to stop them now. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir!"

Reinhardt closed the connection, and walked out of his office.

If they know Balance is out there, the humans might oppose my purge for fear of retaliation, he thought. That is too much of a risk. But, I cannot simply allow him to act unimpeded either.

I must discuss this matter with the girl.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Great Belligerency [Round 2: New Shambhala] - by Dragon Fogel - 02-11-2011, 02:18 AM