This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
You have no idea how bummed out i am that i couldn't say goodbye closer to when you were taking off to Japan, dude. You enjoy yourself there >:[
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
Going to live somewhere else on you own sounds like the most exciting thing ever. Good luck and have lots of fun!

Also, since you're gonna live in Japan you're gonna be a real Schanime now [Image: 6m05mlA.png]
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
On a plane
Met any snakes?
I'll meet the snakes later. (Off a plane, will be on a plane again in twelve hours)
uh so recently i've had an itch to do some flash animation
but i don't have flash
i can't even find any trial versions on adobes site, adobe what are you doing
what am i doing what do i do
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
Piracy.
Yeah.
Users were banned for these criminality-encouraging posts
Not to mention torts!

mmmmmm

tortes
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Whoah now wheat let's not be hasty here

Certain things just aren't ethical
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
i'm so lost
help
get me out of this corn maze

more like
corn maize
HUEH

Okay no I guess I'll just look around a bit more, maybe find some software that acts like flash but isn't Adobe. Does that even exist? I mean. There's knockoffs of photoshop and paint tool sai and junk, surely there's a good, non-virus flash animation thing out there.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
Not unless you like overly complex GIFs.
I have searched for an alternative to Flash for a long time and i haven't been able to find one. Which is extremely disappointing since i dislike Adobe a whole lot.
There really isn’t anything out there that sufficiently replaces the strange niche that Flash occupies, as far as animation goes. HTML5 seems to have the capability to replace things on the output end, but it’s really the production end that matters.
even steven jobs couldn't outwit flash with his deep pockets

adobe said they were going to cut support to it, but then backpedaled after it became clear that it would be impossible to get a divorce

html5 has a lot of holes in it at the moment which detracts from its chances but it'll keep trying

flash won't die until we all do
this is nuts

So I'm still alive

just checking in since I don't think I have for, uh, a while :L
Yay, welcome back!

@Stij: I don't really get it, what is that supposed to accomplish?
(08-07-2013, 04:05 AM)Ed Wrote: »@Stij: I don't really get it, what is that supposed to accomplish?
- What it does on a basic level: Take pictures of real world (~10-100), get 3D out of it.
- What it does that other things of that description aren’t doing: Treating the images as a collection of light rays to sample the depth of objects.
Why you might want to pursue this instead of those other techniques: this one shows promise to succeed where other methods break down, e.g. laser scanning has trouble reconciling when things are behind other things and can take a lot of cleanup by hand.
- What is the point of doing this: scanned objects have uses in set reconstruction (e.g. blueprints can be misleading, you may need to reconstruct clutter), film post-production (make that vase fly around), and 3D-printing nifty figurines (a little far-fetched, but people already do it), among other things.

They may be weaknesses to this technique, but you never really find a good assessment of this in a paper itself; you usually have to ask an expert in the field why people don’t use something, and even then it may just be a pet theory.

(as a minor acolyte of computer graphics, I do get SIGGRAPH envy, yes)
Oh okay, that sounds neat. I thought it was just like a shitty instagram editor thing.
i suppose with multiple shot angles you can reconstruct entire scenes digitally
(08-08-2013, 03:13 AM)weirdee Wrote: »i suppose with multiple shot angles you can reconstruct entire scenes digitally

That's what I was wondering about. I don't see why not. It would be awesome if you could.

Brp, do you know if that's possible?

Sadly, it isn’t usually very easy to tell whether promising research will lead to something being practical or not, especially when it’s just been invented. Even no-brainer sure winners like the Turbine Car or the Lisp Machine run into unforeseen problems.
the main issue with transferring real world information to 3d models is the creation of an excessive amount of data points which will quickly clog any project if you don't shave it down to the minimum required to trick human perception to the degree you find satisfactory for that particular project