RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
I wore heels to my graduation.

[Image: 320774_10150308828613031_971451610_n.jpg]

B]
They're not in a plaid pattern. MY LIFE IS A LIE
[Image: avatar_7905af2bd8c4_64.png]
I think i need to get a necklace with a plaid pattern on it so i can always be Plaid.
o_o I'm in that category where I can wear heels if I'm feeling like it, buuuuut I'm already absurdly tall for my demographic - so it ends up being an awkward balancing act.

no pun intended.
Well, assuming you're not from central or northern Europe, you're at least a couple inches above the average for women.
sometimes, it's like, you look at 80's cultural references and it's like "it wasn't really that crazy, was it?"

and then you find out that it was
Offtopic but due to final exams I'll be absent for a few days. Sorry, Godhood!
[Image: avatar_7905af2bd8c4_64.png]
I can't not see the little tab icon for this forum as a map of China.
So I just had a test run for the SAT and got 1990. Have to bump that up to 2100 somehow.
韋力澹、杜薇花,《亞奧美思特大傳》人物兩「茄呢啡」獨魯人也。
韋為紫血,杜為藍血,二人關係生平不詳。惟只現一回則見光死於熊熊烈火中矣。
Good luck with that. SAT can be a bitch, but dig in and you can pull a few hundred points. Any sections standing out at strong/weak?
[Image: xwldX.gif]
I got 720 for my maths score; I cannot remember my Reading or Writing score but the latter is 10 lower than the former. Yes, I do sound like those people you only see in maths textbooks.

Anyway I also made some music today. https://isoraqathedh.tumblr.com/post/484...e-days-ill
Not a bad start, but it sounds a bit like it's just a chorus at the moment. Y'might want to add a bit more to it.
Fun things Schazer's learning on the fly about Japanese culture (as she assembles the necessary documents to renounce her nationality and go earn filthy lucre schooling kids for a year):

Births, marriages, adoptions and deaths are all recorded on a single family registry, which is a literal single sheet of paper with all the family members listed on it (koseki touhon). This registry is stored at the city/ward office that the family's head resides in. You can only be on one family registry at a time; when one Japanese gets married to another they'll be removed off their family registry and added to their (usually) husband's. I'm not too sure when a married couple will have their own registry that doesn't have the parents/in-laws heading it; maybe it's when you have kids on your own? Haven't done the research.

This registry cannot be relocated from the ward/office it started out in. My mother's is in the rural ward my grandparents lived in, and in order to modify or get official copies of our registry (which has my mum, my dad, me and my two sisters on it) you need to apply in writing. And you have to have residence in Japan so it can be posted out. If you don't live in Japan, you need a resident to receive your written permission, send it to the municipal government in question, and then receive the goods once they're printed out.

You can also get birth certificates or marriage certificates from the hospital or city/ward you were born at/married in, but these things aren't technically official until they've been added to your koseki touhon. Which can't be amended if you're not in Japan (without an intermediary to do it for you, which is what my mother must've done when my sister was born in New Zealand).

Why do I care? My sisters and I are technically able to claim Japanese nationality if we wished, but Japan's law against dual nationality means we'd have to drop our New Zealand nationality to do so. Seeing as I can't be a Japanese national and go on the JET Programme, I have to formally renounce my Japanese nationality, and be struck off my mother's family registry as her first-born Japanese daughter. On a similar note, I found out that foreign spouses to a Japanese national are not formally listed on the family registry as the husband or wife - rather, as "remarks", which is what I assume I'm going to be once I apply to have my nationality renounced.

Fun thing number two: Japanese people sign all their documents with seals! In the case of seals used for banking they're still hand-made, but they basically act like signatures and your really official ones (for signing wills or deeds or whatever) are kept under lock and key in your house. Businesses also use them to authorise whatever it is businesses need authorising. You can even have a (not very secure) one to sign for mail and packages. I've apparently got one, though I don't think I've ever used it. It might need digging up to sign these super-official "dropping my citizenship" documents if worst comes to worst.
(04-20-2013, 11:59 AM)Isoraqathedh Wrote: »I got 720 for my maths score; I cannot remember my Reading or Writing score but the latter is 10 lower than the former. Yes, I do sound like those people you only see in maths textbooks.
630/640. Personally, I think that it might be possible for you to get 2100 with how writing works; it seemed for me to be much more volatile than the other two scores (of the three times I took the SAT, my math varied by 30 points, reading by 20, and writing by 150), so it really just depends on the luck of the draw in the essay question. You'll probably do fine.
🐦🐙🐙[Image: nifOFwR.png]🐙🐙
Schazer how long are you going to be in Japan assuming the best?
Schazer can't some federal employee just copy your awesome-looking seal and use it to sign for funny things? Or even use it to funnel money from your bank account to theirs?
Seals are just super cool things, I've been meaning to send letters to peopleses as an excuse to use mine but eh.

Though that citizenship thing sounds a bit of a pain to deal with to say the least
(04-21-2013, 11:47 PM)deadcrystal Wrote: »Seals are just super cool things, I've been meaning to send letters to peopleses as an excuse to use mine but eh.

Also you can train them to do tricks with fish.
My contract in Japan's for a year, with the opportunity to do another year or more if my first goes well and I'm game.
Happy Earth Day, everyone!

SpoilerShow
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
It looks like some sort of demon is looking up out of some sort of cake portal.
(04-23-2013, 04:24 AM)TheBoyd Wrote: »It looks like some sort of demon is looking up out of some sort of cake portal.

Are you sure there weren't already demons in the cake?
Probably not. Demons are in short supply recently.