This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
The short of it is that getting upset about "pig genes" in your corn or what have you is as unreasonable a fear as getting antsy because your Mac's got Microsoft Word.

That there is a straight up honest-to-goodness solid analogy right there, because DNA is the same four nucleotides coding for the same ~22 amino acids in the vast majority of (multicellular) living things.

It's all written in the same language with more-or-less the same grammatical constructs; it's just the story that's different. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a functional sentence from one book and seeing it in another book. So to speak.

I'm not going to get into a (further) diatribe if nobody's interested, but this sort of stuff is super-interesting to me. Especially because New Zealanders in general have this grossly misinformed views of what GE is.
I should get into biohacking. I think I'd enjoy it. Except I'd have no idea where to start.
Schazer, what is an Arabidopsis?
Schazer please continue your passionate diatribe. I am actually 100% interested in what you have to say.

That sounds kind of sarcastic but I'm being serious. This is interesting.
Beep Beep
Schazer, GM foods are different and poorly understood. Things that are poorly understood and different cause cancer. Cancer kills people Schazer. GM foods kill people.

Also why doesn't my corn taste like bacon yet?
(12-03-2012, 10:11 PM)SeaWyrm Wrote: »Schazer, what is an Arabidopsis?

Arabidopsis thaliana is the model organism for plants. Model organisms are any species for which a full genome has been sequenced, and they're used in studies of development, molecular biology, or gene expression.

Mice, zebrafish and Xenopus laevis (the African clawed frog) are all vertebrate model organisms, with mice being the mammalian model organism.

Other famous ones include C. elegans (the roundworm), the fruit fly, E. coli (a bacterial/prokaryote model organism) and baker's yeast.

Because all eukaryotic cells have similar processes, we can learn about how human cells divide copy DNA and such from the humble yeast, without having to resort to lab rats or the like.

Also yay interested people! I think I might scrawl together an illustrated crash course in genetics and how to engineer it, put some effort in. Expect some content when I'm back at my tablet.
(12-03-2012, 04:55 PM)Jacquerel Wrote: »I really want to know what insects taste like

Fried grasshopers are usually very tasty, but that's because of the seasoning they use to cook them, kind of like tastier potato chips. "Clean" grasshopers (just salt and oil i think) taste like grass-flavored chips.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
What concerned me most in that video was probably the way the pig smiled. the smile appeared right as I was saying 'aw, what a cute pig' and it totally cut me off mid sentence when it became horrifying. It didn't even connect to the snout!

.. sorry, I felt I should weigh in on the conversation... please continue.
Genetics is a quite excellent subject, and anyone who doesn't find it enthralling probably doesn't understand it properly.
Actually, ditto for biology in general. One of my great regrets from college is how little bio I took.
to take any bio class here i have to make it through the super-hard chem series that's designed to weed out premeds
also are humans a model organism
are supermodels a model organism
I actually took all my bio in coastal Queensland, Australia while studying abroad.
It was the most awesome place I could possibly have taken Bio 101. If only I'd been able to get into something more advanced...
I also got to scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef. Though that was extracurricular.
(12-04-2012, 03:05 AM)Nopad Wrote: »to take any bio class here i have to make it through the super-hard chem series that's designed to weed out premeds
also are humans a model organism
are supermodels a model organism

Oh god yes. Them Chem paper here is the exact same fucking thing, and even better it was a requirement for the biochemistry papers for my genetics major. Which I ditched.

Humans are not a model organism, because humans (or rather, human embryos) cannot be used for experiments to test things like "how do teratogens influence limb development in vertebrates".

Model organisms are used to answer questions like these, and the similarity of the model organism to humans gives a reasonable answer as to what the effect would be on humans, without the awkward ramifications of deformed babies down the track.
(12-04-2012, 10:02 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »How do I science.

Yet another question I'd earnestly answer despite the fact nobody was explicitly asking for it in the first place.

Either way, I'm not talking about human experimentation in general, and yes more specifically about developmental genetics, which really is one of the more trendy mysteries about biology today.

We know that every single cell in the human body contains the entire template to make every kind of cell in the human body, and communicate with neighbouring cells in all the right ways and do all the other things it's gotta do to be part of a functional organism.

How a single freshly fertilised zygote, consisting of a single cell, knows how to divide and order all of its daughter cells to develop so the animal looks how it's supposed to look is still under investigation.
Code:
if(fork()){
   beAnArm(this);
}
else{
   break;
}

Winky
YouTube...does that. I'm not sure what I watched that would make it think a colonoscopy would be something I'd be interested in watching.
Beep Beep
This just reminds me that I have a Homestuck video that, while I wasn't looking, netted my name a spot on the Homestuck Knowyourmeme page and also got a stupid amount of comments that I still get e-mails about.
Solly

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5bCBIbsrjE

DragonWolfGirl379 Wrote:why does this bother you so much?? (im a girl btw so im not brony) example: i hate justin bieber and i'm fan of homestuck. if jb made somethink related to homestuck, yes i would be pissed of but also 'who the fuck cares?'

Simon P Wrote:Hi there everypony. I'mma just go ahead and apologise for the retarded 'Bronies' who kind of messed up the whole comment section, we as a community don't want them either. But unfortunately there are people who just kind of go "IMMA A BRONY EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE THE SHOW SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE". Whereas the rest of us just kind of go, "That's your opinion, we don't judge" So yeah, next time you see 'Bronies' hating on something or whatever, remember we aren't all like that. Kthxbai.

Bee Are Wrote:the thing is, the pony loop for trixie has better sound and smoother, faster animation. i ain't hatin' on Terezi or nuffin, but that trixie loop is like the canola oil butter to the freshly churned probably better for you real butter. but if u done seen da canola? you done buy da canola oil nigga. you done buy da canola oil.

This is what I get for trying to make something funny.
Your signature seems almost, but not quite, relevant to this situation
You poor thing.

Poor, poor thing.
Beep Beep
oh metapod, oh metapod
Anonymity on the Internet flies in the face of NATIONAL SECURITY

ARE YOU A MOTHERFUCKING TERRORIST
Also, how could poor, poor Google keep going without the income it gets from selling your personal information to advertisers? Do you want them to have to live on the STREETS?
YOU ARE ALSO CLEARLY A COMMUNIST
(12-07-2012, 10:53 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »What's wrong with anonymity on the internet, huh?

The majority of people are extroverts.

Also terrorists, introverted terrorists.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
In all seriousness, however, I would give a long speech on how certain parties and policies governing the internet, including a certain conference occurring right now, is violating basic human rights and the freedom of speech, but I've hit too many keywords already.
I'm trying my hardest to steer clear of Google these days, but it's hard.
Even just owning an Android phone - it wants me to accept their privacy policy for such everyday tasks as turning on GPS and sending a bug report.