This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
Neat

If someone says "dude must get a lot of shitty asks, give him a break" i'm seriously gonna lose my fucking shit.

[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
♫ Hello, Eagle Time.
I hope you're feeling fine.
You're all talented and attractive people.
And I'm pretty glad that all of you were born.
I'm not very good with music.
This song doesn't even rhyme.
Some unrelated filler.
Yeah, yeah. Eagle Time. ♫

(On another note, why don't these zucchini muffins taste like zucchini?)
Beep Beep
the zucchini is only there to make the pastry soft and moist, and should not get in the way of the muffins default flavor.

... gimme one.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
arse-nog~ (can i call you that or is that bad)
i like muffins!
Because a zucchini is just a fragrant cucumber?

Rhubarb muffins are probably preferable if you want the zucchini texture and some real flavour.

Myself, I'm hankering for spinach+bacon or the like.
I like the person who keeps saying, "Wow!"
also the video is pretty cool yes it is
Perusing the comments, that's the young daughter of the main dancer in the last segment.

Which is just adorable, really.
awwww
actually the person saying wow and the kid are different voices but that's still cute~
Guys I had one of those "wow cannot get over how surreal technology is" moments.

A friend and I can have phones which are computers which can connect to the internet, we can then both install Skype on said phones, and when we see we are both using said phones proceed to have a phone call. On phones. On opposite sides of the world.

I get that this is nothing new for phones, which were doing this shit way before the internet was a thing, but I always perceived some kind of difference between Skype calls and phone calls overseas. I'm familiar with the latter; I've got family in Japan. Phone calls were expensive and infrequent - the one phone company at the time would advertise weekends when calls overseas were cheap, and we'd talk and have a yearly (sometimes years-ly) catch-up by the hour. If they happened to be home at the time.

The internet changed all that - now I can be effectively-constantly in touch with people all over the world. That's seriously cool, but vocal/aural communication remained a novelty. Skype eats bandwidth (compared to IRC). It's not very efficient for large groups. A lot of the visual cues are missing, because you rely on flashing avatars to figure where noises are coming from, and half the time at least one person won't have a proper headset so your mike's picking up keyboard-smacking and hard discs purring and family screeching and your own dang voice in the background. Video lags, and the quality's lacking.

A phone just seems like a more intuitive device for one-on-one calls, at least where your connection's less than blistering and you weren't wanting video or instant messaging or the ability to switch to a tab on your browser every five seconds. It feels weird as heck to be using modern technology to recreate old (at a fraction of the operating costs), but it feels so primitive. It's been ages since I've used the phone to plain call someone, and if it weren't for natural disasters it would've been a forgettable forever ago when I last used a phone to get in touch with someone overseas. It still feels like the way I'm supposed to hear the voices of people thousands of kilometres away.

In summary: Skype - pretty awesome. Phone calls - even more awesome.
You are now aware it is faster to request information from a server on the opposite side of the earth than to walk across the street to a library.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Regardless of what, when, and how you celebrate stuff, I can still wish you good tidings and crap!
Wh... wh... it's already thanksgiving for you? ;_;
oh man that... reminds me...
I wonder what I'm gonna do for thanksgiving this year.
Or rather, what my Aunt's gonna do.
Because last year, she made dinner from scratch, and it was AWESOME.
Is thanksgiving that big of a deal?
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
well it's that big of a deal to me
i like food
a lot

especially my aunt's food
Sorry, turkey trumps cultural imperialism AND blind patriotism AND consumerism!

And vegetarianism

I would rate Thanksgiving as a solid 6/10 on the dealness scale.
how do I buy someone an adventure though
do I just give them a card
You have to deliver it personally, by hand, and then stay over with the recipient of at least one (1) day of adventure

A Day Of Adventure card is more an invitation than well-wishes
I'm actually gonna be observing my first Thanksgiving this year. It's important to my flatmate (who is an American expat) and her mother'll be travelling to hopefully celebrate her receiving her PhD. Having not experienced the cynicism associated with the holiday, I can only look forward to it.

For reference, she's vegan - she still cooks a chicken for the omnivores though.

Having said that a Day of Adventure is definitely a holiday I'd observe the heck out of.
I don't think I ever observed thanksgiving other than a day where we got a day off school thanks to international schools :P
(10-08-2012, 06:36 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Thanksgiving is Gluttony, Wastefulness And Misplaced Celebration: The Holiday. "I am fortunate to have, therefore I will prepare more food than I could possibly eat instead of sharing my wealth with the less fortunate".
As opposed to Hallowe'en, which is Gluttony Without Even Pretending To Have A Balanced Diet, Rampant Vandalism And Misogynist Costumes: The Holiday? And it's not really even celebrating A Thing anymore, because it's more secularized than Christmas without even the generalized moral of "hey, be nice and generous to other dudes ok"

Personally I'm a big fan of all holidays, but like, they all kind of suck in their own special ways, ALL of which include rampant consumerism. It's not really fair to have an exception to that.
You never see that shit on Arbor Day. Arbor Day, now there's a good holiday.

(Also, my midterms start today and I've been feeling pretty gross since yesterday. Sincerely hoping I don't end up dry heaving during my first exam...Freshman finals all over again...)
Beep Beep
That's my point, though, Supes. At its core, Halloween is about fear, and you don't let the lame shit ruin that. But [b]at its core[b] Valentine's Day is about love and Thanksgiving is about family and so forth. You may not personally like the holiday, I sure cant blame you if you don't, but it doesn't make it valueless.

The exception being Groundhog Day which objectively has had no impact besides one Bill Murray film. Seriously whose idea was Groundhog Day and what is it supposed to stand for.
Also don't take this as criticizing Day of Adventure. I totally support adventures and could use the encouragement!

Also why are there only like two holidays in Summer? It's such a dead zone. Get, like, Polish Heritage Week or Franklin Delano Roosevelt day or International Science Festival in there or something.
what about international talk like a pirate day, is that still relevant
Alternatively, it's about being industrious only for someone to beat you up and pinch all that fruit of your hard work.

[Image: prairie-dog-1_2361431b.jpg]

[Image: prairie-dog-2_2361433b.jpg]
honestly I can only imagine friendly morning news anchors and those... soccer playing-arts and crafts project inventing-highlights for kids-makes their own halloween costumes out of cardboard and old tshirts- families actually trying to keep up with talking like a pirate for a whole day.