Good News Everyone!!! (The joysplosion thread)

Good News Everyone!!! (The joysplosion thread)
RE: Good News Everyone!!! (The joysplosion thread)
"We're going to shoot this big thing then a little thing after it and then catch the little thing with the big thing all in space"
Sometimes I read about space programs so I can think "Humans can be pretty fucking cool"
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Guys I-

Guys this is a very exciting moment for me.

I have just discovered a brand new world of opportunities.

The wonderful world of quotation mark smilies! 'v'

This just opens a huge new range of emotions to be expressed through the internet.

'o' surprised

"o" in awe

'm' griding my teeth / growing a mustache

"<" ">" staring contest

'u' calmly happy

"u" excitedly happy

"U" GUYS I FREAKING LOVE QUOTATION MARK SMILIES

I have only begun exploring this world, but I am sure it will bring be much more joy in the future. 'w' (<-possibly unrealistically optimistic)
'_* is wearing an eyepatch and is not bothered by it in the least
FREE DUNGEONS OF DREDMOR DLC WAS RELEASED TODAY.

I am a happy man.
Losing her job has made my mother...well...less of a bitch. I was able to air out some serious emotional issues between us that I'd been holding onto for years. We're not suddenly super close, but the constant passive aggression is now loving jest instead of the beginning of our estrangement. I have a lot of friends with awful parental relationships. I didn't want that to be us if it didn't have to be.

Also, I had a really good birthday because I have really great friends.

/hugs laptop/
Beep Beep
I'm not failing engineering bweee ahdohnsdxicfjnoeh HappymelonHappymelon
So
[Image: Graduationating.png]
This happened
[Image: Graduationated.png]
Today
Man, you Americians take high school graduation so seriously o:

We just print off a run of hoodies with whatever stupid nickname you fancy written across the back like a tramp stamp, and get plastered before dicking around at high school for a day. We don't wear the whole graduation getup even to the prizes and the speechgivings and what have you.
When you said prizes my first instinct was to imagine that New Zealand graduation consisted of throwing balls at a pile of milk bottles to win a giant stuffed animal, which would serve as your certificate of high school education.

Then I realized that you were probably just talkin' 'bout diplomas
I think shes talking about prizes like raffles and stuff. That's what my high school does (in addition to the three+ hour ceremony)
I don't think we even had any kind of presentation ceremony
I know with High School my brother didn't even pick up his certificates from the school office until a year later, and in College all we did was line up in front of a table with the first letter of our surname on it and they handed them to us and said "there you go, next"

Which is a shame because I like the hats
I got my final report card in

B in AP BC Calc, A- or A in everything else

I am pretty fucking satisfied
Congrats Solaris!!
My sister just graduated high school, but I declined to go to the ceremony and sat browsing tumblr all afternoon. This might make me a bad brother, not sure.
I would be inclined to say no because ceremonies are fucking boring, graduation ceremonies especially so

But then again I'm the kind of person who's terrified he'll fall asleep at his own wedding so Blankaloupe
Waaaait I'm conflating Prizegiving at high school with an actual final sorta-graduation but not-really thing we had. Prizegiving was definitely the bigger event; it's when the proxime accessit and dux for the year were named, as well as all the smaller scholarships and awards for top of respective subjects were given out.

Your actual high school qualification like the kind you put on a CV had no relation to the actual high school (although I did put my Prizegiving achievements down on my CV for the first couple jobs I hunted around for out of high school). It was either NCEA Level 3, University Entrance (which is doing a certain amount of literacy and numeracy things in the NCEA format), or grades from Cambridge exams if you went to a private high school.

Then again New Zealand is weeeird so what do I know. Congrats to Sollie and Guy :>
Thanks!
It was great and less boring than I thought it would be and there were a bunch of flowery words said. I got my Diploma almost first though and afterwards we ate at a Dominican restaurant and now I have food for no-school-day tomorrow.
I am really happy about this and people are proud and woo.
(06-08-2012, 03:39 AM)MrGuy Wrote: »I would be inclined to say no because ceremonies are fucking boring, graduation ceremonies especially so

But then again I'm the kind of person who's terrified he'll fall asleep at his own wedding so Blankaloupe

Ah, but true love's first kiss will wake you, right?

Most people completely waste their first kiss. On silly bullshit like "dates." "Prom." "Carousel ride under the stars." You need to save it up for magical emergencies. Evil witch covens. Enchanted slumber. Haunted carousel rides from hell.
(06-08-2012, 02:53 PM)Fuzzy Pickles Wrote: »
(06-08-2012, 03:39 AM)MrGuy Wrote: »I would be inclined to say no because ceremonies are fucking boring, graduation ceremonies especially so

Ah, but true love's first kiss will wake you, right?

Most people completely waste their first kiss. On silly bullshit like "dates." "Prom." "Carousel ride under the stars." You need to save it up for magical emergencies. Evil witch covens. Enchanted slumber. Haunted carousel rides from hell.

Misread that as "You need to save it up for medical emergencies."
"Doctor, there's nothing else we can do"
"Wait! Has this woman...ever been kissed?"

(06-08-2012, 10:46 PM)Schazer Wrote: »Misread that as "You need to save it up for medical emergencies."

Those pony carousels are a real doozy, take it from me.
Guys my brother's band won a prize.

They're called Point to Infinity, and they won airfare and hotel stay to open at Lollapallooza, this August in Chicago.

My brother is the guy in the middle.

This just came completely out of the blue for them. Apparently, one of their friends submitted a video of them playing, filled out the form, and then forgot about it.

Then a few days ago he called my brother and said: "dude, I think you won a prize."

I'm so freaking excited for him! No matter how this turns out the opportunity to play at a venue like that is incredible.

edit:
SpoilerShow
My Grandparents and Cousins from the Dominican Republic are here in Miami!
YAY
Holy shit guys.

I took the very last exam of my degree today.

It's like I'm a real scientist now!

Woah.
Alright, I've been wrestling with this technical problem with my record player where the quiet parts would cut out entirely since I got it. It disappeared for no explicable reason then disappeared until now, and I decided that if this was going to be a recurrent problem I should solve it. It took two devoted days of switching around every plug, surge protector, and using canned air anywhere dust could get caught, but it turned out my microphone had a little "audio enhancements" checkbox checked, and I guess the point of that was that if you're speaking background noise gets cut out. I unchecked it and VIOLA, the fade-outs in songs were whole again. (Also there was a little "quality" drop-down menu above it that I changed from the lowest setting to the highest setting and it blew my mind.)
After what I think was five years of remembering reading it in a book somewhere and not actually remembering the word, I finally found out what it's called when you interject a word with another word.

Abso-fucking-lutely is an example of tmesis. My life just got a little bit better.