Let's Burn Up a Character

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Burn Up a Character
RE: Let's Burn Up a Character
yikes that's a high greed. B9 is lethal to the character right? any way to bring that down?

:"The hierarchy deprives us (me) poorer dwarfs of their wealth! I'll do what I can to bring them down!"
:"I'll eat a good meal whether I can pay for it or not!"
:"Not sure why but damn I hate wizards. Gotta run them out of town/country/continent!"

:Tends to lick anything he really wants
:Always introduces himself with a pun.
:If faced with an unruly crowd, will bellow loud enough to get their attention.

:"I will get the Krundlehorn back, and then use it to ruin my brother!"
B10 is. The +2 comes from the hated immediate family relationship - if we deem this severe enough, I guess we can backtrack and rework that relationship or something.
On the other hand, it's pretty hard to advance those high-up greed stats unless you do it intentionally.

Here are the issues I see:
"I'll do what I can to bring them down" is a bit vague - what, specifically, is he gonna do?
I'm not sure about the "I'll eat a good meal" one, that sounds more like an instinct.
"Tends to lick anything he really wants"...? What the heck even triggers that instinct? Maybe "Always lick things that look edible" or something would work.
The Oath belief is something he swears TO the character. I kinda doubt his brother would have him swear to ruin him.

Okay, been thinking on this a while.

Beliefs (Best of 3):

*More is better. I will gather as many possessions as I can. I will use my possessions to gain more possessions.(I know that doing these things will raise his greed, and may be potentially fatal, but it just seems like such an intrinsic thing to have.)
*Living is better than dying. I will survive, at any cost. Even if it means giving up possessions.
*Less is more. I will try and consolidate my possessions into singular items, artifacts, and so on, as opposed to having a lot of stuff all over the place. I can never forget the feel of holding a fortune in my hands.
*Oleg is precious. I will do anything to protect Oleg. Even if it means giving up possessions. Even if it means I have to give up my own life. (In that case, can we play as Oleg? :3) (Also, this might qualify as an Oath, since it's his wizardbaby and all.)

Instincts(Best of 3):

*Reconnaissance Renaissance - Always scope out a new place before going in.
*Dear Friend, I Am The Prince of Nigeria - When somewhat 'questionable' deals are going down, always make the necessary preparations to cover your own dwarfish butt.
*Expensive Taste - When faced with a menu, always pick something on the expensive side of things. Even if you can't pay.
*Insurance Agent - Never walk into a deal without a bribe.
*'Pon My Oath - Never make careless or unintentional Oaths or promises.
*Profiteer - If faced with two or more choices, automatically assess which one is more profitable.
*Drunken Headlock - Never let slip secrets, not even when inebriated. (Coercion or bribery, on the other hand...that doesn't count as letting slip >:D)
*Achievement Unlocked - Always aim for concrete and easily quantifiable goals.

Oath:

*His Brother - "I solemnly swear this Oath that I will never attempt to defame you, or bring more shame to you. In return, you will not prosecute me for the loss of the Krundlhorn. Fair deal?" (This one seems important. I know it's not an Oath he'd take lightly, but it's definitely one I can see Krundlhornmakr forcing on his brother. At the same time though, it means he and his brother don't have to be at odds right away - for one thing there wouldn't be any new ground to cover in that direction. (Otherwise see Oleg, above.)
High time we got back to this! We're almost done, after all.

Beliefs:
B1 - The hierarchy deprives us (me) poorer dwarfs of their wealth! I'll do what I can to bring them down!
B2 - Not sure why but damn I hate wizards. Gotta run them out of town/country/continent!
B3 - More is better. I will gather as many possessions as I can. I will use my possessions to gain more possessions.
B4 - Living is better than dying. I will survive, at any cost. Even if it means giving up possessions.
B5 - Oleg is precious. I will do anything to protect Oleg. Even if it means giving up possessions. Even if it means I have to give up my own life.
B6 - I will get the Krundlehorn back, and then use it to ruin my brother!

Instincts:
I1 - I'll eat a good meal whether I can pay for it or not!
I2 - Always introduce myself with a pun.
I3 - If faced with an unruly crowd, bellow loud enough to get their attention.
I4 - Always scope out a new place before going in.
I5 - When faced with a menu, I will always pick something on the expensive side of things. Even if I can't pay.
I6 - Never walk into a deal without a bribe.
I7 - If faced with two or more choices, assess which one is more profitable.
I8 - Never let slip secrets, not even when inebriated.

I left out a couple that I felt were too vague or otherwise problematic. Vote for your top three in each category.
We'll deal with the oath separately. I want to see at least a couple more options on that before we vote.

I got nothin'
(01-04-2013, 01:13 AM)SeaWyrm Wrote: »Vote for your top three in each category.
How about this?
B - 2, 5, 6
I - 4, 7, 8

Not ranked. B1, 2, and 6 in conjunction could be especially fun if our brother happens to be a wizard.
B 2, 5, 6
I 3, 4, 6
B-2 4 5
I-2 3 8
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
Hmmmmmm, well, on first thought I thought I'd just pick the top ones on the ones I proposed, but on second thought...

B2, B3, B4
I4, I6, I8
B1, B2, B6
I1, I2, I6
I bet you thought I'd forgotten about this.
...and you were right, I did! But now, I remember. Better late than never, right? ...right?
So anyway, here's what we've got:

Beliefs
1. Not sure why but damn I hate wizards. Gotta run them out of town/country/continent!
2. Oleg is precious. I will do anything to protect Oleg. Even if it means giving up possessions. Even if it means I have to give up my own life.
3. I will get the Krundlehorn back, and then use it to ruin my brother!

Instincts
1. Always scope out a new place before going in.
2. Never walk into a deal without a bribe.
3. Never let slip secrets, not even when inebriated.

So that's almost a complete character, right there, except we never did get that oath. I know it's been a year... er, 16 months, but if anyone wants to toss in some suggestions for a good Oath Belief, that's be cool. It has to be something our dwarf swore to one of his relationships:
- His brother, the master hornsmith who created the Krundlhorn.
- His offspring, born of wizard rape. He repressed his memory of the incident, but adopted the child anyway.
he swore to his offspring to get him through college
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
Anyone else?
This isn't going to be much of a vote if there's only one option. (Understandable, though. 8 whole pages to read just to remember what the heck was going on in this topic.)