"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)

"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
RE: "I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
What are your favorite comfort rice dishes?

I like to have fresh, homeade katsu with sauce on a bed of steaming rice. It's so simple and so filling.
Kare raisu/Japanese curry's pretty wonderful to go with rice and is versatile enough to be as savory or as sweet as you're craving.
Does rice pudding count? My mum make really good rice pudding with whole rice grains and a thick brown sugar cream sauce.
Beep Beep
Spice Rice: quick fried rice with tabasco and eggs all mixed in.
i make rice

WITH CHEEEESE
Rice pudding is delicious

Rice with cheese though? Hmm... maybe if you put it in a semi hollowed out tomato first, mixed with some parsley, pepper and spice.

I had strawberry cheesecake made by my friend's grandma today. It was amazing. And a mustache-shaped dark chocolate made by her little sister. WHY IS HER LITTLE SISTER SO AWESOME
Another fav rice dish is fried rice. Really good fried rice is simple: stirfy with sesame oil, eggs, peas, carrots. When you make it just right, the rice has a nice bite to it that opens into a fluffy interior that fills your mouth with goodness. Also, sometimes I add bacon if I'm feeling in the mood for bacon.
me and dad went to a mexican market a couple days ago
have you guys ever had those frosted mexican bread things
i can't find the name but they're pretty okay
probably super good when they're fresh

also we decided to try some coka cola that i'm pretty certain was imported from mexico? it was in glass bottles and the ingredients list was really short, pretty much comprising of carbonated water and sugar (no corn syrup!) and so it tasted better than regular coke. it was neat.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
Are you talking about telara/bolillo rolls? Those are fucking fantastic when fresh, and as an aside make better pizza crusts than actual pizza crusts do.
Do you mean pan dulce?
[Image: tumblr_m8a756k4Q11rwawh0o1_400.jpg]
Yeah, those. Pan Dulce. Among a few other pastry things that aren't from that picture.
are we talking about rice because i know a lot about rice considering that i eat it almost everyday

like for example spheres of pork and chopped leek coated in delicious glutinous rice and then steamed in a bamboo steamer
tahitian black rice is a good substitute for glutinous rice in this thing

also short grain germinated brown rice is the best rice to eat plain no contest
Intoxicating Starlight on the MSPAForums
[Image: signature_size_da_icon_by_far_off_light-d5xyi6w.png] ˖°˖ ✧ ˖°˖ [Image: signature_size_tumblr_icon_by_far_off_light-d5xyi72.gif] ˖°˖ ✧ ˖°˖ [Image: signature_size_fabula_rasa_icon_by_far_o...5xyi6s.png]
Brown rice sushi is the best thing ever. Brown rice everything.
Sticky brown rice is the best rice.
Beep Beep
(03-19-2013, 03:26 AM)KittenEater Wrote: »Yeah, those. Pan Dulce. Among a few other pastry things that aren't from that picture.

They're called Conchas, if you describe the others i can probably tell you what they're called. It's amusing to hear you gringos talk about mexican coke since it's such a common thing here.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
it's too late i already ate them all
Wait, no fair, why does Mexico have better coke than us? Why not make it all that coke?
Mexican coke uses sugar while the stuff produced in America uses corn syrup due to subsidies making the latter far cheaper up here.
E: Ninja'd

I don't know but we have American coke in fast food restaurants and stuff and it's absolutely terrible. I don't drink soda anymore but i do occasionally get one just because they're super tasty, i know so many people addicted to the darn thing.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
I like Pepsi Throwback, because it's the same thing: Pepsi with sugar instead of corn syrup.
I have recently mastered (sorta) the creation of risotto.

I am the only one in my family who likes risotto.

More for me. ^_^
There is a... I will call it an eatery because restaurant I think does it too much credit in the same way as one wouldn't call a McDonald's or even a Shari's a restaurant. Whatever it is, it is near my apartment. Their main foodstuff is a rice-and-beans bowl, with a variety of rices and beans and other et-ceteras to go in it; I had one that was jasmine rice and edamame, topped with tomatoes and black olives and cheddar and nori and sour cream and avocado; it was a confusing cultural mishmash. I also had them put pepitas on it, but let's be honest, nobody that's not a white twenty-something suburbanite is going to be eating at a place like this, so let's call a spade a shovel. They're roasted pumpkin seeds, dude.

All the rice-'n'-beans come topped with a sauce. I do not know what the sauce is. Having eaten it, I cannot tell you what the sauce is. I can tell you what it isn't, which is to say sugar, egg, dairy, wheat, GMO, gluten, or non-vegan, but I cannot tell you what it is. The safe bet says soy. Of some sort.

Pretty acceptable food, but pretty calorie-heavy too. I rarely eat rice anymore; the roommates are more pasta-and-bread types, and there's no point making some just for me or storing it post-cooking for long.
It's pretty easy to make a single serving of rice with little cleanup or prep if you have one of those cheap rice cookers.

I dunno, maybe you're okay with it. I just can't imagine going a week without rice :L
You severely underestimate my poverty parsimony if you think I can afford will buy not-Goodwill appliances. And none of the three Goodwills I routinely pick over has ever had a rice cooker. I'm consistently surprised by the fact! You wanna talk about toaster ovens and bread makers and juicers and blenders and crock pots and even the occasional roomba or marble pastry-board, fugettaboutit, but rice, not so much. Astonishing, given the Filipino, Hawaiian, and Korean populations in my area, but go figure.

Really, though, the crux of the issue is that I just don't mind much. Rice has always been "the other side dish" to me, and rice-based dishes were never my favorite. As much as I value it as a high-filling, low-fattening staple, my limited space and budget just don't see rice or its various cookers as valuable enough to bother with. If I cared, I could make something happen.

I just don't, mostly!
Australia has Vanilla Coke.

Hong Kong does not.

This totally did not play any part in my decision to run away from home.