Powerfriends Justiceforce Unlimited Forever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powerfriends Justiceforce Unlimited Forever
RE: Powerfriends Justiceforce Unlimited Forever
Make something up. See if you can get the teacher to believe you.
[Image: 2nqr1id.png]

Sleepy. American historical fact. Right. "Um, the slave trade persisted until the 'White Glory', one of the principal proponents of the practice, was defeated and subsequently revealed his secret identity April 9th, 1865, by the-"

"Samuel Oliver Leonard, we are not even to the American Revolution yet, much less the civil war," the teacher says irately. "I asked you about the relationship between the tribal protectors and the early colonists. Whether or not you've evidently read ahead, sleeping in class isn't just making you miss out on the lesson, it's disrespectful to me and to your classmates!"

Disrespectful, right. Face is getting hot, make sure to keep expression deadpan. "My mistake, Ms. Newton. The tribal protectors were a varied bunch, and I'm not sure why they're not afforded the same status as the metahumans in the colonies. While the book emphasizes allegiances like the famous one between the league surrounding the Hopi spiritualist Kwahu and La Estrella de Acero, or the overblown rivalry-slash-romance between Iyanke of the Sioux and Maxim Guns, it neglects how often these allegiances were simply one-sided cultural domination and were in some cases enforced by sheer brutality. And, as far as I can tell, it completely disregards broader conflicts mostly arising from the colonists' uniform dismissal of the magical and spiritual forces which powered many of the protectors, since they were all basing their worldviews on the variants of the Doctrine of Metahuman Primacy that became widely accepted in Europe at large long before colonization started." I've answered way more than she wanted to hear now, and demonstrated deeper knowledge of the subject than what I could gain just from the textbook. Yawn now, for flavor. Am I showing off? Oh, who cares. Might as well go all the way. "May I please go back to sleep now?"

Classmates are laughing. Showed her. Ms. Newton is scribbling something on one of her damned pink slips again. I guess that means principal's office, or maybe call to parents now. "You'll have to ask the principal about that when you get to his office, young man. This disruptive behavior has to stop."

Sigh. Yeah, okay, maybe my judgment is impaired by lack of sleep. Get it together. Still, I gained some respect from my peers. I didn't used to do things like this. Everything just got...I dunno, too easy lately. Whatever, I can handle a trip to the principal's. Maybe I can sneak into a computer lab on the way and check on the AI.

Oh right, externalized thought processes. Suggest course of action.
Everyone loves a rebel, and by the sound of things social networks are the last one you've got a concrete grip on. Why not make it a new project of yours?
run to the principals office you need exercise
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
Despite your advanced intelligence, completely miss the obvious signs that your principal is secretly a supervillain.
Consider: if things are too simple, perhaps you're in the wrong level of academia. If you could convince the principal of your readiness for a higher grade...
More factors than just learning to bear in mind, though. Might lose progress with friends; certainly will be barriers to making new ones. Less time to work on personal projects. Less time in general, probably. Would be good to find a solution that doesn't impact your family negatively.

When'd you pick up all this history, again? Just... around, generally, or was there some particular interest in the material?
How many times has this happened? And how long ago did you start feeling this stuff was too easy for you?
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
Sigh. Do you really need to listen to our principal Principal's principles in diluted form? You know what he's going to say. "Though you know the material, Samuel, your classmates don't. Your attitude and disrespect of the classroom and Ms. Newton undermines the structured and logical learning they could have, and they'll end up falling behind because of your shenanigans! I'm not trying to persecute you, Samuel, you're a smart kid and I like smart kids. But what you're doing here is stopping other smart kids from finding themselves, don't you see?"

But you'll be in trouble if you don't show up.

But what do you care?
Just go to the principal's office. It won't take long to tell them what they want to hear, and then you'll have a little time which you can use however you want before going back to class. Checking up on the AI would probably be worth it.
[Image: wjjm03.png]

I think I do okay socially. I mean, mostly. At least, I did last year, and this school year only started two weeks ago. You know, you're right. I haven't really gone out of my way to do anything with my friends lately. I should make sure I don't fall too far into myself. And I'd be happy to run to the principal's office, if my head wasn't pounding so much.

I take the pink slip and walk out. Might as well make this quick. Maybe I can check on the AI on the way back. I catch the start of Ms. Newton informing the principal that I'm on my way there over the intercom.

(03-05-2013, 09:56 PM)Not The Author Wrote: »When'd you pick up all this history, again? Just... around, generally, or was there some particular interest in the material?

What? Why is...

(03-05-2013, 11:50 PM)Pick Yer Poison Wrote: »How many times has this happened? And how long ago did you start feeling this stuff was too easy for you?

I don't know why I'm making myself ask questions about myself. This seems silly. I already know how I have been experiencing enhanced desire for mental activity, Which reached a noticeable point on April 14th of this year, 1995. This mental hunger seems to ebb and flow in waves of variable period, about a day on average, but even at low points my mental activity is greatly enhanced over what it was as early as the end of March. High points are occasionally accompanied by insomnia, with resulting headache on the following day. But you know that already, myself. I mean...don't you? I guess I decided to operate under a paradigm where these externalized thought processes actually take the form of external entities. I will call you Others.

So, Others, on the 22nd of August I brought my history book home and read through it in about one hour and fifteen minutes, although admittedly I only skimmed many parts that didn't seem to have any novel information. I did this mostly out of interest with how the things it said didn't really seem consistent with what I'd read on the internet over the summer, though I guess it was partly because I was bored being stuck in my room because of the first pink slip I got. This makes two now.

(03-05-2013, 06:56 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »Despite your advanced intelligence, completely miss the obvious signs that your principal is secretly a supervillain.

See, Others, this is an even more confusing thing to say to myself. Anyway, I don't think he is. Why would a supervillain pose as a principal? He'd have to deal with kids all day.

[Image: 2jdm6u8.png]

"Ah, Samuel. I've been expecting you. I hear you've been quite a bother for poor dear Ms. Newton." I hand him the pink slip wordlessly and sit down. His eyes dart down to it for just a moment, and return to me. "Yes, yes, that's all in order. Samuel, why don't you tell me why you think you're here right now?"
Wait, who is that?

Oh, err, and you were being smart in class. But really, who is that?
'I think I know more than the teacher.'
Because Ms. Newton values conformity over knowledge.
because you won't leave!
[Image: egg005.png?raw=1][Image: egg005.png?raw=1]
Answer in the form of rhyming couplets.
What you think doesn't seem to particularly matter to that many people around here... but it's not clear if he's being rhetorical.

In the strictest sense, you're here because you acted in a way that Mrs. Newton interpreted as disrespectful - and, in fairness, it was. You're here because you keep prioritizing hobbies over health, and because you let your resultant hangover get the better of your temper.

But you're also here only out of obligation to an education system that's not educating you; to a teacher that seems to feel your learning should serve her teaching, rather than the other way around. You're here because you defaced an bitter, withered monument-to-bygone-days to the amusement of those unable to find happiness in something that ought be much more interesting than it is.

...Okay, last one might be a bit strongly worded, but still. You're here because you tried to make the best of a poor situation, and came out on top with the people you're liable to still see regularly after this year passes.

Or, in your own words, you're here because: "Oh, who cares. Might as well go all the way."
It's a cry for help. You think you need to see the school counselor.
Kiss the girl
Same old song and dance. I've been in here before. The woman is the vice-principal. She doesn't talk much. Anyway, this is more of a waste of my time than the class was. I wish everyone would just recognize how smart I am so I don't have to keep proving it to people. Sure, rhyming couplets.

"I approach the throne for institutionalized atonement.
My sin, being simply caught in the moment.
Lost sleep and pained head did inflame my temper,
but, in all due fairness, I did remember
the facts and dates I was requested!
If things were different and I had rested,
I might not sit here and state so boldly the fact
the teacher's apple's too hard, Newton's mind cracked.
I might also hold my tongue now, were I not irate,
at an educational institution that doesn't educate,
or at the values it seems to espouse instead:
discard full mind and bow empty head.
But here we are because of insomnia's bad timing,
feigning remorse sounded boring, so I did it in rhyming."

I maintain the facade of utmost boredom for my quick-thinking poetic recitation, though I have to admit that was kind of fun! In fact, the principal looks like he's smiling, and the vice principal just clearly tried to disguise a giggle as a cough.

The principal folds his hands and leans over the desk thoughtfully. "Very clever, Mr. Leonard. You weren't so loquacious last time, though it may have done you more good than you might expect." He's right, I was more nervous last time I was here, because I didn't know what was going to happen. Plus, his voice is unexpectedly deep and intimidating. I didn't say much besides yes. The principal rifles through some papers in his desk and draws out a manila folder. "While I resent the implication that I run an institution that cares more about obedience than knowledge, I have a certain sympathy for your position. My standard response to the unruly children that I usually see in my office for disciplinary matters goes something like this." He clears his throat and waves his hand with a theatrical flourish. "My child, school doesn't just make you ready for the real world outside by teaching you facts, it also teaches you respect. Respect for your betters is important if you want to get anything done, even as an adult. Why, I may seem like a man in charge to you, but I still have to answer to a man called a 'superintendent' and a group of people called a 'school board'. They are my bosses, and if I didn't respect them, then I wouldn't have a job." He flings his hand aside as if wiping away all the words he just said. "Or something like that. I'd follow it up by giving you a detention or calling your parents or some similar measure. If I did that, what would you think?"

I'm a little taken aback. What's he getting at? I'm not familiar with this song and dance after all. I might as well be honest. "I would think that I should pretend to be repentant in the hopes of removing the punishment."

"Which I've seen before a thousand times. When that fails?"

"Then I guess I would accept the punishment, brace myself to weather it, and then keep doing what I was doing."

"And would that teach you anything about respect?" Shake head negative. Principal stands. "No, it wouldn't. Whether some people want to admit it or not, there are two kinds of respect in this world. There's respect you're granted by some authority, like what Ms. Newton has. Then there's respect you earn by proving that you're worth something. By proving you have Power. The first kind is a purely societal construct. If society falls, it means nothing. The second kind is more meaningful, more lasting, harder to break. I'm going to guess you earned some of this from your fellow students with your stunt today. And, as much as this may be at odds with my duties as a school administrator, trying to wield solely the first type to deny you your right to the second doesn't sit well with me. If I want you to respect your betters, I should make sure to present them to you first. To that end, I'm offering you membership in...let's call it 'Classes for the Gifted'. You'd be working with other youths around the world. They might not all qualify for their intellect, like you, but all have Power, and are learning how to use it more aptly. Consider joining, and let me know what you think by tomorrow when you've had some sleep and dealt with whatever urgent matters may have gotten you so tired in the first place." What is this look he's giving me? "By the by, Ms. Nocturne, did we ever issue the memo to the janitorial staff to remember to lock the computer lab by the library?"

"Oh, slipped my mind sir."

"See that you take care of it. Wouldn't want any unauthorized students getting in there today, would we? Your hall pass, Mr. Leonard."
[Image: 1qoift.png]
He knows.
Right. GO TAKE A NAP!
Was going to say: y'really thought nobody'd notice you working on your AI, during school hours, over a secured, controlled, and monitored public system? Frankly, I'm surprised nobody mentioned it earlier, but then they could always have opted to keep records of your work and reproduce the results themselves, should they have chosen to.

C'mon, you're smart enough to recognize behavioral patterns when you see them. He's making you a deal you can't- well, a deal you're unlikely to refuse. It sounds good, but he's clearly oversimplifying the situation to make the offer sound better. You need more information before you agree to anything- information from a less-biased source than the man making the offer.

You might not want to check on your AI today, because skeevy deals, much? But the 'net is always a g- ...reasonable source for more information on basically any topic. Could use the time to corroborate data on these "Classes for the Gifted." I- They're not even called that! This dude's insinuating up a storm and I am not a fan. The ideas are swell, but contaminated by their presentation. He's said you'd qualify for your intellect, ergo, you should be smarter than to take him at his suspiciously indefinite word.

I'd suggest an I'll Consider It to tide him over, but you might want to ask And If I Say No to gauge his reaction.
Eat that hall pass.

Become stupendous.

:333
> Reasses your initial disreguard for the stray thought you had about him being a supervillian.
> Yeah.... This is a trap.