Scrawls, sketches, and chicken scratches - a doodle thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrawls, sketches, and chicken scratches - a doodle thread
RE: Scrawls, sketches, and chicken scratches - a doodle thread
[Image: jt5YJSMtUGr4S.png]

Reference used. I'm trying to actually learn how to draw faces and this was one of the practice drawings that didn't turn out too badly.
Oh cool shading on that, whoosh.

Casual cycloptress:

[Image: WaPWawy.png]
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Well they're pretty well hidden 'cause i can't make anything out, it's trippy.

A coupla doodles:

Show Content
That's a pretty big question. It basically boils down to just drawing, but that's not terribly useful. I'm far from competent but I can offer a few resources for figure drawing, if that's what you want.

Download links for very useful books can be found here. They're kind of intimidating, but they're good.

Stock photos are a good source for poses and anatomy practice. SenshiStock on deviantArt has an excellent range, but there are plenty of similar accounts on dA alone. Some people also recommend Posemaniacs, which uses 3D models instead of photos but has a 30 second drawing tool which is great for gesture drawings.

Life drawing classes are apparently optimum for learning anatomy and such, but I haven't had the opportunity to attend any so I can't really speak for it. You should definitely try them if you get the chance though.

In more general terms, this is a pretty useful post for ideas on how to improve.

I hope that helps.
I... didn't actually know that about Loomis. I guess this is what you get for briefly skimming and only looking at the diagrams. Sorry for linking that.

Copying other people's art is certainly useful, especially if you're trying out styles. I'm not sure if doing it completely independent of any other method would help beyond a certain level, but it would definitely work as a starting point.
I never read Loomis' books because they were fucking boring.

(05-18-2013, 07:30 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Is studying and copying art I like until I develop my own style a legitimate way to learn? That is how I learned to music. I would miss out on some foundational skills I guess, but then I am not all that ambitious.

Yes, i wouldn't say it's the adequate way to do it but it's certainly the most fun. You do need to learn some fundamental stuff though, but just enough to comprehend how things are structured. I'd recommend breaking things into simple shapes while studying art you like, draw sloppy, don't try to make everything into a masterpiece 'cause that's dumb and impossible, just keep doing stuff. Y'know, pretty straightforward.

As far as resources, i don't really have many but i found this tutorial pretty useful, DA has a surprisingly decent amount of good tutorials if you have the patience to sort through the crappy ones. Lemme see what else i have on my favourites...

Hair tutorials, other parts in the description.

Clothing, by the same person.

Color tutorial by Purple Keckeon

And the most important of all

Ass tutorial

Oh wait shit almost forgot Tom Richmond's tuts, check 'em out.

You already know you can ask me for sloppy advice 'n stuff anytime. I should ask Schaz to change the name of the thread to make this the gen art thread.
In addition to everything above, it's very important to draw things from life because that way you get a feel for how to accurately draw depth in shapes, rather than drawing from a photo or something similar where the image has already been made 2D for you, if that makes sense.

Also, draw lots and lots and challenge yourself often! I've learned a lot in art school (note: in graphic design with a basic drawing class, so it's not actually targeted at learning to draw better) because the assignments have pushed me out of my comfort zone and had me drawing a bunch of different objects and poses that i wouldn't otherwise. The same thing is happening with my comic project. :>

Basically if you don't know how to draw something (or better yet, don't want to draw something) draw it anyway.
Did someone say dumb cute stuff? That’s the only thing I ever tried (before I stopped drawing and all the art skill I built up in grade school has completely atrophied).

This is what got me started back when (naked dude warning for lesson 3, just in case anyone is casually browsing). It’s more or less focused on the kind of art most people on the Internet would be interested in making, though I suppose the images now seem ridiculously small, being made for the Web of the 90s.

For the record, that’s the guy who made this.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
https://i.imgur.com/cGNrVrJ.png

I DREW MY ADVENTURING PARTY WOO
let's post righteously & having good times /// check out The Book of the Courtier /// ensure proper vegetable consumption /// also check out The Blade and the Cycle /// post it up!!
Is that a Robo-Cowboy person? Neat.
Yeah, we used the Create-a-race rules in Pathfinder to make a really physiologically diverse race called the Edge Dwellers, and everyone in the group rolled one and bought a bunch of fun racial bonuses for them like slapping tails and vestigial wings.

Except for one guy who just rolled an elf wizard.

We ostracize him forever.
let's post righteously & having good times /// check out The Book of the Courtier /// ensure proper vegetable consumption /// also check out The Blade and the Cycle /// post it up!!
Quote:<Agenpetra> i really like this picture now ;-;
<Agenpetra> and i wanna share it
<Agenpetra> but by the time i'm done
<Agenpetra> you guys will be all asleep

[Image: samwun.png]
I like it too!

Here's some unfinished stuff, which is like all i've been able to accomplish for the past few months.

A Dota 2

[Image: puQL7Hj.png]

and a Debbie

[Image: DQPF5ZK.png]
I made these maps. Spoilered for largeness:

Show Content
韋力澹、杜薇花,《亞奧美思特大傳》人物兩「茄呢啡」獨魯人也。
韋為紫血,杜為藍血,二人關係生平不詳。惟只現一回則見光死於熊熊烈火中矣。
Show Content

and that's why i didn't go to bed until 2am last night
Neat. Did you use a ballpoint pen?
Just an ordinary inking one. Nothing special ><
I don't know anything about traditional art.
I started experimenting with the ArtRage 4...
Show Content
Sometimes I think up stupid joke fanart ideas and I can't help but draw them
I saved a couple WIPs this time so... uh... process? yeah

[Image: tacwip.jpg]

[Image: tacwip2.jpg]

[Image: tacchallenge.jpg]
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
You may have heard that I, XX, have become godbot. this is fine and normal. WE DREW STUFF ON A TRAIN

[Image: DGdraw_zps033a803e.png]

First row left to right: height comparison of beautiful gay elf vs croglin, a bee that snuck in, "a unicorn", sad sailor hyena, 80-year-old godbot (projected). Second row: Octitute, myw's/Jackson's headless chimera/roomba from the New Vertica campaign, 'Namster (vietnam hamster). Third: Godbot as a centipede, the "Joshipede", a gumball machine full of ants. Fourth: a normal cat, an umbrella with goat legs, me (engie) in 80 years, and pimp deer.

[Image: DGproctopusitute_zps7034d7a3.png]

[Image: DGdt_zpse792c63e.png]

This our Jaeger, Diamond Tiger. It has angry cat fists. And diamond claws. It is powered by yelling.

[Image: DGbawav_zps81c7f09c.png]
YESSSSSSSSSSS shes great i knew she would be

also i want to make some responsey to the post you made in videya but now isnt a good timme to do i will later i think
Cute

I liked the wings tho
[Image: tellyyay.png]

from jacs u4g adventure

[Image: ahiru.png]

the duck, that is me, and in my soul, ahiru
Not a doodle but I wanted to show it off

Show Content