You Wake Up In A Bar

You Wake Up In A Bar
RE: You Wake Up In A Bar
[Image: vlbRoce.png]
[Image: 8MjbXHB.png]

Time to start finishing this mega-dish up. You start to search through your repository for last touches, including some particulate which seems to vibrate and a few slings of thornvine, which... is going to take some doing to properly attach to the clamshell of plates.

It is also time to drop a bit of bad news.

[Image: p5GFSyv.png]
[Image: 15l2M0F.png]
[Image: NVmuWQR.png]
[Image: PJKI5PE.png]
[Image: TbL2yRO.png]
[Image: nETyijH.png]
[Image: faGeHJw.png]
[Image: 1B0kC66.png]
[Image: AlGvQHj.png]
[Image: CHd5fWT.png]

Stax gives you a rather genuine-looking grin. But you're still just a little lost.

[Image: JBcJJ80.png]

Suddenly, the air in the room shifts a little-- the starman's grin fades, and he replaces it with a bit of a dumbfounded glare.

[Image: Bdc3Hzb.png]
[Image: UDHmnVj.png]
[Image: flYLR2P.png]

Well, seems that wasn't the right question to be asking. You decide to brush it off, just as you're brushing on some last-minute Hollandaise.

[Image: IIuftkK.png]
[Image: ZbXDQvs.png]
[Image: 1ttYuNk.png]

This strikes you as vaguely familiar.

[Image: DdM0JCx.png]
[Image: R45tUc9.png]
[Image: FZLgf2H.png]

More mentions of that... unapproachable topic. It doesn't sit too well with you, or you.

[Image: LB2Jl84.png]
[Image: sgSIEXK.png]

The aroma of the finished dish is certainly wafting throughout the bar-- much to the silent disdain of Depricae, though it seems to have really amped up Mordicae. She jitters a bit, and although she wasn't really sitting before, she certainly isn't now.

[Image: p7lfQol.png]
[Image: a0xsHOM.png]
[Image: EZV693K.png]

Stax hops in from the side, holding his hips with pride.

[Image: y4irKmt.png]
[Image: rs5znRB.png]

The wait has been long enough, indeed.

[Image: 5JBeywB.png]

[Image: tFAQKzN.png]

Mordicae coils around, darting from right and left, getting a very good look at the dish before she begins to dig in at all. She even gives your drink a good stir with the screwdriver, and you can tell the entire meal is extremely salivating.

Depricae is... not salivating.

[Image: oWgzABE.png]
[Image: 0mFpcwj.png]

However, it seems she's not quite ready to comment, taking the occasional chomp and nibble in what seems like a random order.

[Image: nazGbw9.png]
[Image: iQdSzeJ.png]
[Image: mrBj3hx.png]
[Image: 2IAg67A.png]

Stax leans up a bit against the counter, letting out a hydrogen sigh.

[Image: loRl2jF.png]

He's probably fair in not liking her, much, even if he's not completely aware why.

[Image: Cu1lxBf.png]

Just as the starman is about to formulate a retort, the bar doors swing open, allowing the two intergalactic couriers from the day before to finally return!

[Image: mnlMbyR.png]

Nadezhda immediately steps to the counter, taking a seat and letting out a deep sigh, her chitin settling. Voronezh follows after, and it's clear that the both of them are on dangerously low amounts of proper sleep.

[Image: Hzy5KsN.png]
[Image: Bc3ss2x.png]
[Image: FqB8yPq.png]
[Image: c6ohGor.png]

You, on the other hand, are feeling ecstatic about this! These are the only patrons who have just returned again and again, and more than anything you're excited to help them out.

[Image: 1jN6CsZ.png]

Nadezhda begins fumbling with her bag and retrieves something... squirming.

[Image: aygqQQF.png]

She hands it to you, wiping off the slightly dirty front screen. It looks like this really is a living PDA.

[Image: FTRGX1i.png]

[Image: VVtsgMX.png]

You fumble with it for a second, finally finding that a boop on the bug's snoot causes the screen to flick on, allowing you to... input, seemingly.

[Image: e38hHVE.png]

Translated by HandyBot33KShow

[Image: 83mfXBQ.png]

Hm. Looks like you've got a plethora of options here, in addition to having a few orders to fulfill.

[Image: DSMoRFE.png]

Cup status: 5 free, 2 dirty (Into That Foggy Night, Shaken Starred), 1 occupied (Mordicae's Kingfisher Wakemaker)
Meloncup status: 1 free
Plate status: 2 free, 2 occupied (Mordicae's Kingfisher Wakemaker)
Mug status: 2 free

AbilitiesShow

Time & OrdersShow

[Image: RWXWGt6.png]

Your exceptional work on the Kingfisher Wakemaker has earned you ten new entries for ten new ingredients in the Cabinet!

In addition, if you're a newer reader of YWUIAB, it couldn't hurt to check the Lineup for full portraits of both Nadezhda and Voronezh.

[Image: Xp0SO7C.png]
[Image: wSBqhR9.png]
[Image: g2sUeVh.png]

Author's NotesShow
[Image: vXCAe9O.png] [Image: tKD6Zjr.png] [Image: CzJL2j4.png]
[Image: afkF4Z7.png] [Image: laXOQ6l.png] [Image: 6SlA6Oy.png] [Image: rwi0EBt.png]
[Image: IJhRwJC.png]
Dep really liked the liquid helium and Extremely Light Ingredient which was Matterhorn Chunk+Antipodal shard in the last drink we made for them, so those should be part of Depricae's drink. A dash of non-toxic glasses cleaning fluid (rose-tinted), Idyllweiss extract, all filtered through sphagnum moss gathered from the Stillwater Shores into a cozy mug.

Voronezh's drink should be mothgrant herbal tea, and seeing as they don't mind less-conventional spins on the tea genre, we can maybe go the tisane route with some chili seeds, decimated coconut, with a little side pitcher of bee-milk.

Nadezhda needs dangerously hot coffee with anti-blood and sub-orbital cocoa atomisation, poured into a glass lined with crystalessence milk and topped with Coolest Whip to act as a barrier so what is sipped out of the glass isn't deadly temperatures. You could put a chocolate-coated coffee bean or two on the side but why not a chocolate-coated spider?
DESIRED PHENOMONIKER & DIGITS
[VERDANTBREW22]
DESIRED PASSPHRASE (minimum 85 phonemes)
[tellmywifiloveher]
CURRENT LOCALE
[The Bar]
DESIRED PERCEPTIBLE FORM (precisely 100x100 cells)
[blurry zoomed in photo of your own shrubbery]

User 'GREENE', you will also be required to configure your Adaptive PDA AI with a series of optional parameters. If the given parameters are not satisfactory, an unlimited number may be added for tweaking.

PDA TITLE
[Phone+]
PDA PERSONALITY-BIT
[Smart pet, please let me know if you acheive sentience so we can talk it out]
DESIRED THEME (GENERAL) (selections auto-generated by Adaptive Tech)
[A theme with red or blue lighting would be most beneficial for your photosynthesis absorption]
DESIRED THEME (STARNET) (selections auto-generated by Adaptive Tech)
[The blue swirly one.]
PDA FAVORITE COLOR (tvartospectrums now supported)
[whatever colour your flowers are]
Also re: jobs, Mordicae could sell us an ever-changing selection of ingredients they've concocted which are too outre for most typical establishments to buy and cook with them. They get paid to make cool foodstuff that's beyond the realm of normie chefs and see it used, you get fun new ingredients.
ADD PARAMETER...
WAVINESS: 1
Gotta agree with Schazer's PDA suggestions!

I'm not an expert in drinks myself, so I'll stay out of beveragecraft...
C'mon Greene, shake it off. Don't let the inertia drag you down. Take a deep breath, smile, and pretend the past five months never happened. To everyone else at the bar, you're just thinking deeply about what username and profile pic to choose for your brand new PDA. If you never move again, will the rest of them cease existing? Or will they still be there, wondering why their new best bartender friend-o has suddenly gone catatonic? Look, I'm just an input, I don't know all the answers or what's going on in your bizarre little universe. But know this: Someone cares about you, and is wondering what you'll do next.
ADD PARAMETER
Conversions: {'car','cat';'bar','bat';'rar','rat';'mar','mat';'par','pat';'jar','jat';'tar','tat';'war','wat'}
EGGS AND UPGRADED EGGSShow

[Image: neocities%20button%20lol.png]

[Image: 47325.png]
[Image: BnHh8gD.png]

[Image: ZsCK6XA.png]
[Image: TnIl3L7.png]

Back into it.

The bar settles and un-settles. It's restless, a little bit, wood shifting with the changing heat of an oncoming morning. You can feel sun straining through the windows and the dingy setting brightened up not just by that light, but by the patrons who come alive, like they've always been. Even though it's the same place you've been the last year, or the last day, it feels like home. All the inane contraptions and ingredients in storage grow familiar with each passing moment. It's all got a verve to it, doesn't it?

It's all got what you need.

[Image: sMzyZds.png]

You retrieve a handful of ingredients you've been planning to use, and get going with Dep's drink! Something in a mug sounds good, and you're going to utilize your skills from earlier- involving that antimatter matterhorn- to knock it out of the park-bar.

[Image: WvjFjyd.png]
[Image: zy8wXZ3.png]
[Image: GVH9PGp.png]
[Image: b53awwr.png]
[Image: CMgHFL6.png]

With a couple taps and keystrokes, you finish the settings you wanted to fill out, and try to find a 'confirm' button. For some reason, the page just keeps going and going...?

[Image: zaZEENE.png]

Translated by HandyBot33KShow

[Image: 21ynYYo.png]
[Image: eEpflR7.png]

As the PDA keeps bleeping along, you set it aside to finish mixing the base of Depricae's drink in the Unshaken. The ingredients are ready, but... you feel as if you could herb it up a bit still.

[Image: PG5BBmz.png]
[Image: 4gK7IRV.png]
[Image: EMb4GHw.png]
[Image: tdjJ03W.png]
[Image: lypX59e.png]
[Image: rdEAGMQ.png]
[Image: rzdSGXo.png]

Stax weakly chuckles. The notion of staying still because he's already still seems familiar.

[Image: DOmMtip.png]
[Image: NwVzplw.png]
[Image: hMnPG7E.png]

Depricae leans over. Although antsy, it seems like it's warming up to the idea of standing up for itself around you, and asks politely for status on its drink.

[Image: 8t8Ejc8.png]
[Image: Wn56OMu.png]

Indeed, with a little tip of the Unshaken, you start pouring out a glimmering liquid through the plant strainer affixed to the top of the mug. It's a heck of a concoction, and it seems to make everything around it semi-transparent.

Mordicae scoffs a bit.

[Image: DliC6Kw.png]
[Image: GfHYZRI.png]

With the drink finally complete, fizzing and glowing through the mug, you set it in front of Dep, leaned slightly towards Mordi, in case she actually wants to take her own chomp out of it.

[Image: 1KpXSBA.png]

[Image: HHVoAkr.png]

[Image: IHKCorZ.png]

Stax continues to look a little uncomfortable.

[Image: duVH3yk.png]

With its drink in its hands, Dep happily nods, and starts sipping at it. The lack of weight and substance, even in the airy moss, seems to do wonders for its self confidence. It looks like it feels less like drinking, and more... absorbing.

[Image: 3flHogm.png]
[Image: XYGJXU8.png]
[Image: oOEh9ek.png]
[Image: Fua3XVJ.png]
[Image: qFBn5ot.png]

She gives Voronezh a harsh look for a moment, then turns back.

[Image: qC3PFf4.png]

Stax is asking for input.

...oh. That means it's time to... stop being for a while, and then get suggestions. Your sacred moss sinks.

[Image: 7MjNAXH.png]
[Image: 8h6NfkW.png]

The walls of the bar start shifting and closing in. You thought you could make it and be alright when things went back to status quo, but now it's hurting, and you're hurting. You don't want this to stop.

[Image: u5JQh8z.png]
[Image: IQ6tPy6.png]
[Image: UK46Nnq.png]
[Image: nLiMpit.png]

The star leans in close. He seems genuinely concerned.

[Image: y0M1MBJ.png]
[Image: Pmr9YM3.png]
[Image: rUk4d5s.png]
[Image: 8Rqfjhm.png]

At this point, you're not too sure who you're talking to anymore, or why. Stax looks at you with the most puzzled look on his face.

[Image: Fhx06Fw.png]
[Image: fo2A594.png]

With a helpful enthusiasm, Stax joins in.

[Image: 5tLwCqH.png]

Well... that's that, then. You've got to pick which bug to let Stax handle.

There's also the question of Inertia, the PDA, whose name you're starting to question and regret picking, but which is now asking for input-- are you ready to see Starnet? Is there anything else you'd like to ask?

[Image: DSMoRFE.png]

Cup status: 5 free, 2 dirty (Into That Foggy Night, Shaken Starred), 1 occupied (Mordicae's Kingfisher Wakemaker)
Meloncup status: 1 free
Plate status: 2 free, 2 occupied (Mordicae's Kingfisher Wakemaker)
Mug status: 1 free, 1 occupied (Depricae's Transparent Tincture)

AbilitiesShow

Time & OrdersShow

[Image: RWXWGt6.png]

You have received Cabinet entries on all the (new) ingredients for the Transparent Tincture.

As always, YWUIAB is accepting submissions for patrons, ingredients, music, and everything related! You can submit ideas for these, publicly or privately, or draw/write up descriptions, if you want.

[Image: Xp0SO7C.png]
[Image: wSBqhR9.png]
[Image: g2sUeVh.png]

Author's NotesShow
[Image: vXCAe9O.png] [Image: tKD6Zjr.png] [Image: CzJL2j4.png]
[Image: afkF4Z7.png] [Image: laXOQ6l.png] [Image: 6SlA6Oy.png] [Image: rwi0EBt.png]
[Image: IJhRwJC.png]
I kind of want to reassure Greene, but I'm not sure if I could make any kind of meaningful promise. I'm not even sure if they would be able to percieve my input as something originating from outside themself. There must be some way to make these periods of strange time less arduous for them though. Just have to work out how.

As for the orders:
(04-25-2019, 01:13 AM)Schazer Wrote: »Voronezh's drink should be mothgrant herbal tea, and seeing as they don't mind less-conventional spins on the tea genre, we can maybe go the tisane route with some chili seeds, decimated coconut, with a little side pitcher of bee-milk.

Nadezhda needs dangerously hot coffee with anti-blood and sub-orbital cocoa atomisation, poured into a glass lined with crystalessence milk and topped with Coolest Whip to act as a barrier so what is sipped out of the glass isn't deadly temperatures. You could put a chocolate-coated coffee bean or two on the side but why not a chocolate-coated spider?
I agree with this for Voronezh's tea, though make sure the chili is mild, he might not be very spice tolerant. Mostly agree with Nadezhda's although i'm not sure about having an actual chocolate-coated spider. Ansibles are an insectlike species, so that might be kind of like cannibalism? I could see her objecting to it. I'd rather just have something completely made of chocolate but in the shape of a spider. Also make sure to put a good amount of caffeine in Nadezhda's.
Out of the two of them, Voronezh's will probably be simplest, so have Stax make that one.

Also, ask Nadezhda if she's doing... okay, after last night. She said that she and Voronezh had almost never been both unconnected and physically seperate and it was probably screwing with him as much as her, if he was awake. But neither of them are acting like anything weird happened. So I think Voronezh mightve been asleep, and Nadezhda is hiding what happened. That last drink we gave her had some pretty strange ingredients, and im concerned it could've messed her up in some way. So I want to ask her, surreptitiously, if she's okay.

(Are you still planning to make a discussion thread? I think that would be a good idea. There's the timeline thread, but idk if you intend that to be for general discussion)
That PDA is a bit... ominous. It almost sounds like it knows Greene is a player-controlled being. It does seem loyal though.
I wonder if it needs food or drink in order to live? Maybe ask it if it would like to order anything, heh. I think those settings are fine, better to try them out and change them if we don't like them then fuss over them in this stage.
pull yourself together greene, stop hinting to your nature. i know that's hard, and if it's too much, you should really take a break. nobody would have a problem if you closed up shop for a few.

if you aren't, drink suggestions:

voronezh: i tried to check if we had the ingredients from the tea from last time but searching this thread is hard. if we're missing something use Soy Substitute Powder. put stax on this one because you can talk them though it as you do the other.

nadezhda: start with coffee beans mixed with Jack And The Beanstalk beans, and charcoal water. filter through a microphone. flash-brew by the light of a strobe light, sous vide inside a meaty broth that will form the basis of the next drink we make. a Cream Of Sine Wave to make things regular and smooth but not monotonous. for sweetness, nyquil robbed of all its soporific properties in a centrifuge. stir with a Glock-19. decorate with helium-injected pistachios if it comes out too heavy and sludgy