how do i storyboard the comic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do i do
signature
RE: how do i storyboard the comic
Depends on how you work, really! A lot of people use scripts, then thumbnail out their pages. i like to create a rough timeline of events, then thumbnail pages as i go based on that.

Good advice which i don't follow because i'm terrible is to do a few thumbnails of each page, so you can decide which is the best compositionally.
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
You must be registered to view this content.
https://i.imgur.com/S9lGvk1.png

here's my storyboard i want to make the funky panels that go vwoom and swish and ba bang???
signature
I've heard about the creators of cartoons doing their storyboarding first, with the dialogue included in that draft as it's drawn. Take this with a grain of salt since I've drawn like 2 pages and storyboarded like 12 or 13 since last summer, but my method has just been to scribble the panel layouts and fairly ugly sketches of the actual content on one half of a notebook page, with the dialogue on the other.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever method works best for you though.
Here's one of my early panels from Meander which I'm particularly proud of.

[Image: m144.png]

Meander was definitely drawn in a way that encouraged comic-style panels, which meant that in action scenes like this the use of panel placement definitely added a lot to the sense of the action - the vwoom and ba bang, as it were.

Note the three 'countdown' panels at the top. They signal that these panels are to be read top to bottom, left to right. But then the line of action spreads out: your eye is drawn to the Discount Ice Cream Man's vanilla blast and the hapless duo Jammroll and Tom Smith pushed along with it, so for a brief moment you're moving right to left. Also, the panel itself distorts with the force of the blast, which is a nice creative touch if you're playing around with the concept of the rectangular panel.

That in turn distracts your eye from the approaching Lavender Devin, just on the other side of the hallway (and in another moment, chronologically. Because it's another panel technically this would have been a jump cut or a wipe passing through the wall, like you see on TV. That's the effect I was going for when I drew that panel). So then when you do see her murderin' ass running down the hallway it comes as a visual shock and as an indicator of how close our intrepid duo came to death!
ah, the countdown panels. that's what they're called.

it's nice.
signature
So how are you wanting to structure this? Conventional comic page? Adventure panels?
(03-23-2016, 03:57 AM)Plaid Wrote: »So how are you wanting to structure this? Conventional comic page? Adventure panels?

if i were doing adventure panels would i even be able to ask that question? i don't really get it

adventure panels are like a normal storyboard, like for the cartoon on the TV, aren't they?
signature
There's always ways to break out of the "norm" definitely when going digital so there are ways to make adventure panels more interesting. No need to stick by the one image one rectangle way of adventure panels if one were doing that.
(03-23-2016, 04:21 AM)Gimeurcookie Wrote: »There's always ways to break out of the "norm" definitely when going digital so there are ways to make adventure panels more interesting. No need to stick by the one image one rectangle way of adventure panels if one were doing that.

new webcomic innovate: isosceles traingle
signature
Storyboard-style adventure panel accompanied by narrative text underneath is only one option for an adventure - you could go text first then a panel, like an illustration in a chapter of a book; your panels could incorporate text (most commonly if your setting is gamelike and your panels are like screen captures), your text could be interspersed with pictures. Whatever helps tell the story! Or hinder it, if that's the vibe you're going for.
those are many different ways, true, but
i feel like it's kind of like this
signature
is that wyoming i see
signature
sounds about right
(03-23-2016, 05:25 AM)Wheat Wrote: »
(03-23-2016, 05:14 AM)Geoluhread Wrote: »is that wyoming i see

haha

but seriously no because i can't draw perfectly straight lines. i have the condition known as 'fail hands'
use a ruler or something
signature
all rulers warp in his hands

his hands ravage space-time around him. wheat illustrates his life with fail-space hands. Unfortunately, all his artwork is inscrutable to all but aliens.
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
Straight lines are overrated; have you seen my panel borders

Also the anthology that i was published in a month or so back had one artist in it who likes making comics in the shape of things, and does so really well? Like these two:

[Image: 3w-miranda-burton.jpg?w=625]
ok that just makes me want to ask "how do i draw knees"
signature
Psshhh, nobody actually knows how to do that.
yeah, plaid's friend is an alien from another planet. Their artistry is post-post-modern. Their most-post-modern artists use stars as a canvas
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]