Otherkind Air RTD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otherkind Air RTD
Otherkind Air RTD
This RTD uses Vincent Baker's Otherkind Dice. The way it works is, everyone says what they're doing, then I roll 3d6 and give each person three things that are at stake, then they distribute the results between those things.

The Rules:
So, ferinstance, you go "I knife him. I wanna scare him." Then I go, "Okay, what's at stake is: Do you hurt him with the knife? Do you scare him? Do you get injured in the process? You rolled 3, 6, 5." Then you go, "I really do want to scare him, I'll put the 6 in that. I want to mess him up, too, so I'll put the 5 in that. I don't mind being hurt, so that's okay if that gets the 3."
Or, you know, whatever. Maybe you really don't want to get hurt and put the six in that. Maybe your roll is three ones, and you're screwed no matter what. The point is to pick what's most important to you.

You should say both what you're doing and what the intent behind it is. ("I knife him, I want to scare him so I can get away" vs. "I knife him, I want to mess up his pretty face" vs "I knife him, I want to make him look weak in front of his gang" vs...)
Getting your intent will be the first stake. You can suggest other stakes if you want, though ultimately I'll decide.

Once you assign dice, I'll give the outcomes, and then you can do another thing. It'll go You: Do a thing. Me: Tell you stakes and die results. You: Assign die results to stakes. Me: Tell you the results. You: Do a thing again, and so on.

Oh, and generally, 1-3 is failure and 4-6 is success, though 3 and 4 may be more a sort of stalemate or something.

The Situation:
This was a pretty routine flight to Japan, but then something happened and the airplane is falling out of the sky towards the ocean. You have no idea why and it pretty much sucks.

Please fill out this flight registry card and hand it to the smiling woman in the uniform over there.
NAME:
COLOR:
CREW OR PASSENGER:
POSITION: (flight attendant/co-pilot/pilot or economy/business/first class/premium, or whatever.)
DESCRIBE YOURSELF:
(Passenger) WHY YOU ARE ON THE WAY TO JAPAN:
(Crew) THE SPECIAL THING YOU WERE GOING TO DO WHEN YOU GOT THERE:
YOUR BEST GUESS ABOUT WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THE AIRPLANE: (feel free to make stuff up, I haven't got anything in mind.)
ONE USEFUL THING IN YOUR CARRY-ON LUGGAGE: (good for an extra die whenever it is applied reasonably)

Thank you for flying Otherkind Air. We apologise for any inconvenience your impending demise may cause.
RE: Otherkind Air RTD
NAME: Robert Bartholomew Jameston
COLOR: Privileged white (oh you mean text color okay it is #600000)
CREW OR PASSENGER: Super entitled passenger
POSITION: Business Class, feels like he deserves to be in first but the company won't shell out
DESCRIBE YOURSELF: Douchebag.
(Passenger) WHY YOU ARE ON THE WAY TO JAPAN: A very important and very boring business conference.
YOUR BEST GUESS ABOUT WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THE AIRPLANE: THEY WOULDN'T LET ME SIT IN FIRST CLASS IS WHAT IS WRONG NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
ONE USEFUL THING IN YOUR CARRY-ON LUGGAGE: As if he would have had anything useful. His suitcase floats, I suppose.
Nobody but Agen wants to play my game. Meloncholy
*sniff sniff*
I WILL PLAY!

It will be me and ag-net and you and we can do this!

NAME: Harvard Kindleware
COLOR: THE SECOND ONE #8B4513
CREW OR PASSENGER: PASSENGER!

POSITION: ECONOMY

DESCRIBE YOURSELF: Harv is a humble banana salesman! However, the banana business isn't the same game it was back in the 90's, what with the ECONOMY and all. THANKS A LOT PRESIDENTS.

WHY YOU ARE ON THE WAY TO JAPAN: Harv read through an old TIME article while waiting in his urologist's office. He got really excited and bought his ticket as soon as he recovered from a painful surgery.

YOUR BEST GUESS ABOUT WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THE AIRPLANE: Harv swore he saw something hanging on the plane wing. Also the steward got his drink order wrong.

ONE USEFUL THING IN YOUR CARRY-ON LUGGAGE: Bananas of varying degrees of freshness.
Uh, okay then. Just btp and Agen. (What's wrong? Do I smell or something? *sniffs armpit*)

PLANE STATUS: Pitched forward slightly more than usual. Engines sound a bit weird, maybe.
PASSENGER STATUS: Mildly concerned. This is just turbulence, right?
CREW STATUS: Freaking out a bit.

Robert(no dice yet): Robert is seated towards the back of the business section in seat 25 J, a couple of rows up from the stairs that lead to the upper deck. That's where the first class suites are. Allegedly, the seats up there have built-in massagers, privacy curtains, and carpeted floor. Not to mention the self-service bar. No, really! It was in the brochure! There's a flight attendant coming up the row from behind with a worried expression on her face.

Harvard(no dice yet): Harvard is seated in economy, seat 48 B. He's in the middle seat on the left row, sandwiched between a frumpy-looking old woman in a floral print dress, who is frowning and looks distracted from her crossword, and some young asian guy with piercings, who has earbuds in and is apparently asleep. The woman is currently hunched over and blocking his view of the window. There is a can of tomato juice on the tray table in front of him, which is not remotely what he asked for. Who the heck even drinks that stuff?
Robert: Attempt to call over the flight attendant to complain about no champagne.
It's times like these that call for action, that call for a hero. When all else is lost, someone must stand up for justice.

Harv reaches up and presses the steward call button.

He then peeks over at the crossword to see if he can spot any mistakes...it's been a boring trip.
NAME: Max Manson
COLOR: FREEMAN ORANGE #f77000
CREW OR PASSENGER:
POSITION: Flight Attendant
DESCRIBE YOURSELF: An incredibly manly, masculine, individual at 5'5" and 120 lbs. Entirely confident about his sheer maleness and enhances passengers' in-flight experience with utmost macho.
(Crew) THE SPECIAL THING YOU WERE GOING TO DO WHEN YOU GOT THERE: Sample the manliest parts of Japanese culture like the cultured, manly man he is.
YOUR BEST GUESS ABOUT WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THE AIRPLANE: He saw there was some girly cartoon decal on the plane. This probably made the engines blow out of humiliation.
ONE USEFUL THING IN YOUR CARRY-ON LUGGAGE: A can of Secret deodorant spray. It's strong enough for a man, okay?
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Robert (2, 3, 2): Assign one die to: Do you convince the attendant to get you champagne? (High = yes) Assign one die to: Do you irritate the people around you with your complaints? (Low = yes) Assign one die to: Do you anger the flight attendant? (Low = yes)

Harvard (6, 2, 5): Assign one die to: Do you get the attention of the flight attendant? (High = yes) Assign one die to: Do you wake up the sleeping dude? (Low = yes) Assign one die to: Do you befriend the woman by spotting her mistakes? (High = yes)

Don't forget, you two, you can also suggest your own stakes alongside the action.

Max: Er, I guess you'll have to wait until the end of the die phase. I'll give you your initial position alongside everyone else's results.
Robert assigns:

3 - ahahahahah sweet champagne
2 - irritating people was just about inevitable.
2 - who wouldn't get angry at good ol' Bob?
No stakes as of yet because nothing comes to mind at the moment.
(01-29-2013, 03:40 AM)AgentBlue Wrote: »No stakes as of yet because nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Well, you have to suggest 'em with the initial action anyway. Then if I think it's reasonable, it becomes one of the things you can assign a die to.
Ummmm....a stake....that someone nearby is sympathetic and a douchebag just like Robert?
No, no, it's too late now. I will tell you the results of your assignments, THEN you say what you do next and mention the stakes there.

Attracting the attention of a nearby sympathetic douchebag would have been a perfectly reasonable thing, though.
"Robert: Attempt to call over the flight attendant to complain about no champagne. Also, maybe his complaints attract the attention of a nearby sympathetic douchebag?"
Something like that.
Coolio. :3

WE NEED MORE PLAYERS THIS IS A DISTRESS CALL FOR MORE PLAYERS
Oh man this lady really likes people who point out her mistakes! (6)
There's a decently loud buzzer on this call button (5)
Enough to wake this guy up (2)
PLANECRASHOMETER:
Die roll: +4
Air {...O............} Ocean

PLANE STATUS: That grinding noise surely can't be right!
PASSENGER STATUS: Alarmed and uncertain.
CREW STATUS: Freaking out a bit.

Robert: The flight attendant grits her teeth at you. "Sir," she says, "I'm very busy right now. There's champagne in the self-serve bar on the upper deck. If you want it that badly, go get it yourself - but if you cause any more trouble, I'll have to report you!" The passengers around him are grumbling. "Don't be a jerk!" shouts one of them. "I'm airsick enough as it is! And what's that sound? Is that coming from the engines?"

Harvard: The button buzzes loudly. A flight attendant is on the way. Unfortunately, this woke up the guy sitting in the aisle seat. He glares at Harvard. "What's your problem, man?"
Harvard, meanwhile, has befriended the lady on the other side by pointing out that "plantain" only has one i in it. "Thanks," she says. "I probably should have known that, but I'm too worried to think right now. I thought I saw something out on the wing a few minutes ago. It's not there now, though." She points out the window, revealing the absence of things on the wing. "I hate flying! I bet we're all going to die!" She drops the crossword and starts hyperventilating.

Max: Max is standing in the economy section, feeling masculine and wondering if he's going to have to do something incredibly brave and manly to save the plane from disaster, when a nearby attendant call button buzzes loudly. Looks like a passenger in row 48 needs something. The plane is tilted forward enough that the footing isn't very good, though.
Harvard tries to glance out the window (high roll to notice anything out of place), while fumbling for a bag to give to the hyperventilating lady (possible accidental grope/spilled tomato juice on asian dude). He ignores his roused neighbor entirely, and tries to remember some statistic about the safety of plane flights to help calm the floral-print passenger down.
Max Manson, Professional Man and part-time flight attendant, looks for something ropey that he could potentially use to secure a person with manly preparedness, should the aircraft become too tilty.

Then he walks carefully down the plane to the row 48, because a man never lets a cry of distress go unheeded.
My hero. *swoon*
Humph! Well, that's an open invitation if Robert's ever seen one. He unbuckles his seat belt and saunters down the aisle, attempting to trip the flight attendant if he can.

^stake?
Robert(5, 3, 1): High die, you make it to the stairs. High die, you trip the flight attendant. Low die, an irate passenger dumps their drink on your head as you go past.

Harvard(4, 2, 2): High die, you calm the woman down. High die, you spot something meaningful out the window. Low die, you knock the tomato juice onto the guy's head.

Max(6, 3, 6): High die, you find a good rope. Low die, you stumble on your way to the seat and fall over. Low die, your rival stewardess Betty reaches Harvard first.

Weird recurring patterns: Two drinks spilled on people and two flight attendants tripping.
6 - A true man never leaves prepared. He scrounges a length of solid cord and loops it over his shoulder like a confident, trained man would.
3 - a confident, trained man who-- woah-shit!
6 - but that won't stop him from doing his manly duty as a flight attendant.
5 - Stairs
1 - Don't Trip
3 - Rober ducks and rolls! He manages to avoid getting his suit dirty by rubbing it all over the filthy airplane carpet.
Oh okay she's calmed down (4) but oh geeze TOMATOS everywhere (2) and there doesn't seem to be much outside (2)
PLANECRASHOMETER:
Die roll: +6 (!)
Air {.........O......} Ocean

PLANE STATUS: "Flying" is an increasingly inaccurate term for what this vehicle is doing.
PASSENGER STATUS: Panic!
CREW STATUS: Also panic! Are we trained for this?

Robert: Robert squeezes past the flight attendant and dodges an irate passenger's drink by diving into a roll - eww, is that a wad of gum he picked up from the floor stuck on the back of his suit? Well, whatever, at least it's not covered in ginger ale. He makes it up the stairs as the plane lurches downward, a horrible grinding noise coming from the wings. The lights flicker, and as he stumbles into the suddenly-inclined upper deck, he sees that there's a man here with a gun and a paper bag over his head! The entire deck is in a state of horrified shock, but none dare move as the gunman is pointing his revolver right at them. There are grown men in dignified business suits sobbing into their hands. What's worse, the gunman is between Robert and the self-serve bar!

Harvard: Harvard calms the woman down, offering her a bag to breathe into and reminding her that flying is statistically much less likely to kill you than driving down the highway while blindfolded. The Asian dude with piercings is as unamused by this fact as he is by the tomato juice that got knocked onto his iPod while Harvard was pulling the barf bag out of the seat pocket in front of him, and, undaunted by the plane's sudden lurch, produces a razor-sharp switchblade from his pack! The flight attendant who just came stumbling over here is too busy falling on his face to do anything about this yet!

Max: Max grabs an unattached extra-long example seatbelt from the floor where one of the other flight attendants dropped it carelessly after using it to demonstrate to the passengers how to buckle up before takeoff. He then lunges forward toward the seat with the buzzer on so that he can make it before his rival, Betty, shows up. Unfortunately, he does this just as the plane lurches, and trips onto his face in front of the passengers in that row: "How can I help yOOF!" They seem to be fighting about a spilled drink or something, but as he starts to get to his feet, he realizes he has a more urgent concern: An unsecured drinks cart is rolling down the sloped aisle towards him, picking up speed!