MATES: A role playing game for 2 players

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Image: mates_by_theboyd-d5n1hx4.png]

Lately I've been working an a Roleplaying game. It has now reached the point where I deem it playable enough for people to try it out.

That said, I'm not ready to release it to the public so if anyone is interested in play testing it, I'll email you a pdf of it.

MATES is a game that is intended to act as playing a Buddy Cop movie (or show, if you made a campaign out of it, but I haven't made rules for that yet)
All it requires is a deck of playing cards, and I guess paper and pencil for writing stuff.

It's still very early in the design process. Likely there will be things that don't make sense, situations that need specific rules made for them, and of course general polishing required.

Specific things I'd like people to keep in mind:
Make a list of Actions you use (and a tally for how many times)
Keep track of how far through the deck of cards/how many times you went through the deck, during the game, as I currently have no idea if a standard 52 card deck works for this game's length.

Thanks, and I hope you have fun with it. (I mean, that's kind of the point)
RE: MATES: A role playing game for 2 players
Are we gonna play this as a forum game or what?
I will play test it! If I can find a second player, that is. I believe I should be able to.
(12-08-2012, 11:37 PM)Chwoka Wrote: »Are we gonna play this as a forum game or what?

I would be interested in testing this with Play-by-Post, but I'm not sure how to manage a digital card deck. I should look into that.

(12-09-2012, 12:51 AM)SeaWyrm Wrote: »I will play test it! If I can find a second player, that is. I believe I should be able to.

Cool. Anyone interested should PM me their email I guess?

I'd be interested but I live on the opposite side of the world. ;-;
Well it's just a digital copy, if you known anyone who'd be interested in testing a game IRL.
Hello Eagle Timers, lately I've been thinking abut a sort of fantasy hack of MATES (yes, I'm already trying to hack my unfinished game)

Something I really want to be able to do with it (which I'm slowly acknowledging that I'll probably fail at achieving) is make a magic system where you could literally do anything. Don't ask how I'm going to mechanize this, thats for me to figure out still.

What I was hoping you could do for me, is come up with magical stuff that you would want to do in a game, if you could do anything with magic.

This will help me build the system around what people want, and see if I'm capable of making such a system.

Thank you.
end the game

edit: transcend the mechanics of MATES entirely
Genderbend.

/agenobligatory
time manipulation -- freeze time, slow it down, speed it up, skip around, run it backwards, etc.

i want to wish away gods

with infinite magical powers i'm struggling because there is literally nothing i CAN'T do
Four mates.
Tubermancy

Elastomancy

Pastamancy

Videomancy

Mancymancy
Five mates.
food.
fireballs
bigger fireballs
unethically big fireballs
basically a star
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Aurumancy, despite every bit of evidence that that is a bad idea.
That was great you guys.

Currently I'm thinking of splitting the magic into
Matter creation, Matter Modification, Changing one's perception/Mind control, Sensing and communicating with Minds, Energy Manipulations (meaning generic magical energy, temperature, wind, etc.) and Time manipulation.

Theres a good chance some of these are more powerful than others, which I might have to tweak to fix, but for the most part I think that covers pretty much everything someone could want to do.