We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
(09-13-2013, 06:23 AM)illisid Wrote: »Awesome :D You guys have likely spawned on continent 3, I have an account there, post your usernames and I'll see if I can help you out!

Rocket Science here :D
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
I'm not trying to pick a fight. People are allowed to have different opinions on how good games are.
I just thought I would explain why I hate Dear Esther so much, since you seemed kinda mad that I was making fun of it.
"The parties are advised to chill." - Supreme Court of the United States, case opinion written by Justice Souter
Normally I'm all about story quality over gameplay quality, but wow I really hated Dear Esther.

I'm not saying that I wanted enemies to shoot or platforms to climb or whatever but I would have liked something, anything to do other than just move along the set path. Even if the game had just trusted me to turn on my own flashlight that would have been something. When your contribution to a game is more or less just holding down the forwards key what is the point of even being there at all.

The best I can say about Dear Esther was that it was a reasonably good short film hamstrung by the fact it needed my constant input to keep going.

And yes I am probably criticizing it as being a terrible example of a genre it is not a part of, and I would argue that that genre is 'game'.

SpoilerShow
Unrelatedly, another new indie developer with an all-star design staff has arisen!

Onion Games

I'm pretty excited. The head director is Yoshiro Kimura, who also directed Chulip and Little King Story and designed moon: a remix RPG! Also their twitter is adorable.

onion like to kiss you o3o
I'm actually in the middle of Dear Esther, as in, I got stuck in a game where you just follow a linear path. I am Fighter from 8-Bit Theater IRL.
[Image: KrFt4SF.jpg]

Tell your friends, Planetary Annihilation on the 26th.
We haven't had a good Eagle Time Mann Vs. Machine game in a while.

You guys wanna do something about that?
(09-14-2013, 02:42 AM)MrGuy Wrote: »We haven't had a good Eagle Time Mann Vs. Machine game in a while.

You guys wanna do something about that?

I would love to! Who's free this Sunday?
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
I can blast some robots Sunday.
#fuckedbytimezones
(09-14-2013, 08:03 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Should I do it, guys? Someone needs to show this game some love!
Of course you should do it! The issue is still the time, so this answer is not very helpful!

(you may be able to get a lot of this straight out of PVR/PVM files on the disc)
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Haha I'm trying out Card Hunter and it's giving me an estimated 21-minute wait before the servers can log me on, hahaha. But, at least it looks like the time is actually ticking down when they reestimate my login time every minute or so. I'll let you know what I think about this game, but like, maybe don't try to login this weekend.

e: It gave me a login error and booted me out, but when I tried to log in again it started up the login queue position estimated wait time right where I left off, so like, it's cool.
the game is actually fun

i did actually get kicked out when i managed to get in and it reset me back to the back of the line (lawl) but it is overall quite enjoyable

i do hope they allow more starting avatar choice when they do the official release though, since as of now a lot of them are just cosmetic store items
I can also do MVM sunday, yay

Unrelated: I've been playing Enemy Unknown again, and... it's fun, but I remember why I quit. The random elements are extremely shitty and fuck you over and then by the end of the month three countries are panicking and you haven't gotten any opportunities to fix it.

I guess I need to focus a LOT more on satellites and shit.
(09-14-2013, 10:01 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I busted my ass for hours trying to rip the map graphics from the disc. Here are the problems:
Admirable!

I’m not too familiar with Dreamcast internals and don’t know anyone who is, but there probably are custom formats involved (that’s just how it is in the game industry; don’t make it right or nothin’, just is). BIN files usually indicate that they put anything in there and didn’t bother with a more descriptive name. Game data, executable code, meaningless black squares, it’s not certain. The MDT extension doesn’t ring any bells; it’s probably some proprietary container or at least descriptive format from the sound of it (it could even possibly stand for “metadata”). EVT is also probably a custom format, but yes, there is a very good chance it contains game scripting and stuff like that just because of the extension name.

Since these things don’t seem to have too much standard stuff, at this point, someone who’s interested in the data can do two things to find it: trace through the code (yyyeah, have fun with that), or keep making educated guesses and corrupt various parts of the data until something breaks in a meaningful way, then try to narrow it down till you have what you want, e.g. an image or part of it turns into noise (it might still ultimately require some sort of looking through the code, but this way is better for telling whether that’s going to be necessary). The latter method is easier and faster for the most part, but I imagine it’s still not terribly fast when you’ve got an entire disc to scour. And I suspect in this case it would still require determining the image format to extract anything usable, and that’s certainly no picnic, even if it’s only sleuthing and not completely reconstructing it.

In other words, it may just come down to the old fashioned Nintendo Power method :\

(09-14-2013, 10:04 PM)MrGuy Wrote: »I guess I need to focus a LOT more on satellites and shit.
Yes, satellites are an important part of the spinning-plate balancing act you have going in the early game.
Yeah, the lack of proper DC emulation is positively problematic. Oh well. But if you found where the data is, that’s actually where things get easier since it’s unlikely the image format is something unheard of and you could probably hand it off to someone who knows what’s up, who would otherwise be occupied not stumbling around for it. The finding it is the time-consuming part by far. (This is why I do the translation side of fan translation, by the way.)

Have you considered getting your mitts on the official Japanese guide book?
It’s ISBN 4797308826, definitely out of print, and I can’t even find an English link, much less someone who’s already imported it and is selling (I looked for unofficial guide maps, too; couldn’t find any). Most of the online prices in Japan are <1000 yen.

I could find only one review and peek inside. (the reviewer seems a little disappointed that a guide book is mostly guide? well, okay, bud... still not as spartan than the strategy guide books we usually get over here, if we even get them.)
So, I've been playing Card Hunters! So far, I like it. Thoughts below:

SpoilerShow

Wow, I am not that good at coherently and concisely writing about games!
Actually that was a good writeup, I've been playing it too and I agree with all of those points! I've never had to grind, but going back to grind can still be fun and beneficial. I will usually die every other quest, and never twice in a row, so 90% of the time that means I finish the module, the other 10% of the time starting at the beginning. Games are fairly quick, the multiplayer is limited to 20 minutes per player (your own clock ticks down on your own turn so nobody can stall out if they're losing), if that helps give you a sense of time. Yes nopad, the narrative is a running narrative, the scenes are tied to each quest.

The only problem I have is that because all the customization is gear-based, at the beginning of the game the gameplay isn't too engaging. Hey I can equip this item that has 2 bashes that each do 3 damage, or I can equip this item that has 2 chops that each do 2 damage to 2 targets. BIG MEANINGFUL CHOICES. though I'm starting to get to the point where there are interesting choices so it does get a lot better pretty quickly.

I tend to like strategic-competitive games in this vein, once I get a hang of it I could see myself getting really competitive about this game. I'd like to see more choices though, I can imagine there being a lot of deeper choices with cards/items but so far I haven't seen anything much more than synergystic builds like "stack as many piercing attacks on the same character and get items that boost piercing damage" or "have a team of all dwarves so you can use this item that makes all dwarves draw a card"
(09-15-2013, 04:16 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »That's a thing of beauty.
Seriously, Japanese strategy guides are totally worth nerding out about, even if you don’t plan on reading a single word. I’ll give an example I think is really well done, and that I happen to own.

First, an apology about the serial-killer photo quality; even if I had nicer photography equipment, I have no studio space or anything like that. Then again, the back of the book intimates that reproduction of contents is strictly forbidden, and while a handful of unreadably blurry cell phone photos of non-exclusive content for a gushy review totally counts as fair use of copyrighted material in the U.S. (where I live and where the images are hosted), please do not follow the image links if your jurisdiction does not permit such usage![/lawyermode]

SpoilerShow
I've largely avoided wiping in Card Hunter by the skin of my teeth (had the warrior fall in the wizard's golem cleanup, managed to scrape by with tactics), and I've done this by using the mechanics to force the enemies to screw up due to their limited AI and their specific movesets limiting the types of threats they can use, which creates wiggle room for your guys...pretty important when you are almost always outnumbered/undergeared. The card based gameplay can just as easily screw them over as it does to you.
(09-15-2013, 07:41 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »That's why you see those silly HOW TO WIN AT NINTENDO-type books from the 80's.
I recall one from the 90s for Genesis titles. Since I didn’t have one, I read it a few times over, just imagining what wondrous kinds of games could satisfy the conditions laid out inside. At some point I “lost” it (read: my Mom “lost” it “for” me), but the few I do remember, well, the real things just don’t compare to the world’s most powerful graphics technology, I’m afraid. (alternate version... I think I like the couth one better, actually).

(09-15-2013, 07:41 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »youtube
“zeedayn”
“neero”
*twitch*
re: game handholding
I think there really is an happy medium here. The bullshit where a popup window explains how to do every new thing, not just once, but EVERY TIME YOU SEE AN APPLICABLE SITUATION (I'm looking at you, Legend of Zelda) is extremely obnoxious and immersion-breaking. But on the other hand, when I was 10 I got stuck in Minish Cap because I didn't realize cracked walls were A Thing and not just aesthetics, so there really are people who need help. Probably help more useful than popup windows which always say the same thing.
In my opinion, developers do need to tell the player button combinations in game, because I personally do not find it fun to hit all the combinations of buttons just to see if they do something. I think modern games (with exceptions, especially first person shooters and third person action) have been getting better about showing you the controls in play and without an onerous tutorial, but that said there are still way too many onerous tutorials holy shit.
As for how your capabilities interact with the world, this is one area where I feel modern game design is both obnoxiously wrong and is failing to move in the right direction. Standard adventure game hint structure is to have an npc/journal/sign obtusely mention that you can do x to y if you z, which is pretty dumb because they just told you the answer. I wish games just made the interactable object vs. non-interactable object distinction very clear and let me experiment without doing something like bombing every wall in a building because they all look the same as the one that breaks.
"The parties are advised to chill." - Supreme Court of the United States, case opinion written by Justice Souter
Why is a game better if many of the people who buy it can't complete or even get very far in it?

Why not just make it an option to turn off the tutorials so that people who don't care about Earning The Win can actually experience the thing they paid for.
There is a concept in certain fields of an “affordance”. The basic idea is that the way to use some things is inherently obvious based on your past experience. Console gamers know how to use a controller, and certain button layouts are simply conventional by now. This can be slightly mysterious to brand new gamers, but modern controllers make it pretty clear what you’re supposed to grab onto and messing with the inputs a bit should give you a rough idea of what they’re supposed to do (teaching a complete newbie how to get a disc into the console without damaging it or anything, on the other hand... well, that’s a tougher design problem).

Yet for some reason a lot of games have gotten deep into the idea that players don’t understand how to use a controller, even when we are hours and hours into a game. Frankly, it does not take a lot of processing time for a computer to see when a player might have trouble with a certain concept and thus need a nudge in the right direction, but we rarely see that sort of thing in practice, because it does take conscientious design. If a game flashes a hint that I need to go past a ledge before hitting jump after I’ve made the jump too early ten times, that’s cool. If it tells me that before I see the jump, though, I’ve been robbed. It’s taking me out of the game for no reason.