We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
I started a gamedev blog but it’s only a linkdump until I start actually working on the game, and considering there is like a week before classes start, it might remain that way for a few months longer.

I do this because this has come recommended to me (as a prospective game industry employee) as a way to demonstrate that I am “on top of things” and know to follow the same news the professionals in the industry follow.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
I don't have a devblog for my game because I was too lazy to start making a game
I tried out The Sims 3.

To try The Sims 3 is to begin to play “Armchair CEO of EA” in your head.

I should really get an MBA and extensive business contacts; they’re looking for an actual CEO right now, y’know?
let's play divekick

i want to play divekick

when is divekick

Also I've played the Phoenixes and the Wrights and love them and I'm really excited that two more are coming to the region
(08-20-2013, 03:00 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Please elaborate.
Well, it is a horror beyond words. The crux of it is... Steve Jobs insisted on being a CEO not necessarily because he liked the dreadful day to day stuff looking at your stock reports and sitting board meetings (maybe he did; I don’t know), or because he could be an imperious bastard (sometimes he was); he did it because he didn’t like anyone telling him he couldn’t work in the trenches participating in product design and having the final say. So for a lot of gamers, seeing EA make a lot of screwups like what you get with a lot of their games is when you see someone fumbling at something simple very badly and you want to go “no! here, let me show you”, but you’re not in the kind of position where that wouldn’t be pretty darn rude.

So let me attempt to resurrect the mess of a post I gave up on:

SpoilerShow

e: holy mackerel that is kind of long
Exactly that; it’s the same sort of tap into how a number of people watch reality TV, or wish they were rich/famous/smart/beautiful/powerful all the time but miiiight be better off not chasing after that. Psychological research has largely converged on the idea that once you’ve got basic needs secure, the judging and the wishing makes people much happier than the worldly concerns ever will. Once you reach the top in The Sims? Basically, that “wishing” stage is over, and you gotta find something else to do. You could, however, just enjoy watching the interpersonal relationships and stuff play out. People get a kick out of that, too, the whole “playing with dolls” aspect of it. You can spin some yarns out of that, certainly. And finally, you have a number of people whose enjoyment is in introducing whatever chaos they can contrive to just such a system (Pleasantville: THE GAME). Of course, I figure most players enjoy some mix of these aspects in exploring the game.

Well, there are some aspects of humor in the game, too. Maxis-style humor was always of the tongue-in-cheek sort; a “Daredevil” sim takes an Extreme Nap instead of a Nap, and an Evil character will Donate Money to Undermine Charity. Doesn’t change much about the game, it’s just a chuckley sort of thing.

I see parallels to that appeal in other genres, too; MMORPG devs (for subscription-based themepark-style games especially) have what they call “content churn”. They’re always trying to satisfy the people who run through and try to experience everything the game has; if the developers don’t do this, they’re out of a job because they have all those level-capped players quitting in droves. But then you have the role-players, and people like them, who use the game as a sort of glorified chat room, and to these, most of the game is just decor, even if they do like to go see the content, too. They don’t generally quit just because the game ran out of things to do; there will always be talking to do.

Me, I get my enjoyment out of overthinking things, I guess. I’m not very good at video games. I’m just a dabbler. An X-TREEEME dabbler.
In the Sims 1, I really liked slowly upgrading my house.
Well, it’s a meta-joke. The Evil sim does all the same things a Good one does, just... evil.

A lot of Maxis games have (really weak) jokes available as a cheat code. The joke must be that they bothered to put it in.
I think there are as many actually funny games out there as there are games with actually good storytelling. It's just that most writing for games sucks regardless of whether it's serious storytelling or comedy, and (probably because they know their target audience?) game designers tend towards dark humor a lot more than lelz and fun.
Pretty recently there's been the Portals, Fallout and Borderlands (at least as far as I've heard), Monkey Island, Psychonauts, No More Heroes, and TF2.
Which is a sad and short list but probably as long as the list of games with decent dramatic storytelling.
"The parties are advised to chill." - Supreme Court of the United States, case opinion written by Justice Souter
There are plenty of ways for a game to be funny, writing's only the most obvious. Rayman Origins always has my friends and I roaring with laughter and there's not a damn line of dialogue in it. The Saints Row series is also fairly hilarious without drifting into the darker humors. Rayman relies on lighthearted aesthetic and slapstick while Saints Row focuses more on parody and ribbing of more serious games.
why is Monkey Island a recent game (your list is 90% PC games? I guess that's just from your own experience)
All the Mario RPG games have good comedic writing (actually I don't know about the one with that puppet guy in because I didn't play that, I mean Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario)
Bastion has its amusing moments, Okami can be pretty funny too, Magicka is a slapstick game although much of the written jokes aren't as good
There's a lot more than that

I think the list is a lot bigger than you're giving it credit for, the ones on your list are quite often full of "Dark Humour" rather than "Lelz and Fun", it seems like you're falling into the same trap yourself through the weird gamers aversion to brightly coloured things
I forgot about Bastion, yeah, that was good
never played any kind of Mario RPG, so I wouldn't know about those
In general I have played quite a small number of games, and the majority of those were plot-minimal (e.g. Zelda, Pikmin, Civilization)
I was trying to make the point that there are actually are an awful lot of good games with humourous writing. I just left a short list because I only wanted to bother remembering things I've played (or seen played) in the past year.
Personally I really like cute games, but I haven't played any that were all that funny? Zelda has its moments but the overall tone of the game is more wide-eyed childhood hopefulness than humour.
"The parties are advised to chill." - Supreme Court of the United States, case opinion written by Justice Souter
I remember Ezlo from the Minish cap being more entertaining than your average Zelda companion.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Ezlo (and Linebeck) were what I was thinking of when I said "Zelda has its moments"
LoZ has really top-notch writing all around*, including humor, but nevertheless it is not what I would call a "comedy series"

*well most of them do
Socrates Jones tackles the important questions: How can deer possibly steal jobs? Are there limits on the extent of smiting? And is morality found in the circumference of the moon?
The joke is that he's an accountant. It's every joke.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
(08-23-2013, 01:03 AM)Gnauga Wrote: »The joke is that he's an accountant. It's every joke.
NONSENSE

one of the jokes was that Kant thought that facial hair was a universal maxim due to its proliferation and promptly adopted his own
hey supes was talking about pocket fighter earlier people might be interested in this game at the very start of its kickstarter
Ahhh, who else remembers the extra case they put on the DS version? I don't think I've ever been more nervous in my life, working my way lead after lead, backtracking to scene after scene, listening to that MUSIC ACCOMPANYING THE GODDAMN BLUE BADGER AHHHGGHHGH...

Gonna say, it was pretty much the most exhilarating case I've ever played. It was long, but finishing it was just - so worth it!

Sorry, I guess I just wanted to talk about how ridiculously fun that case was.

---

Also the Sims 3 is best when you install it from disc and don't patch it or add new expansions or install Origin. Then it actually works.
so, basically, removing all the EA from it
that and your creepy vampire sex dungeon
Oh hey, this looks pretty cool. Digging the art style and the odd SF/fantasy setting.

It's billed as a "combination roguelike and tower defense", which are two of the buzzwordiest terms in indie games today, but I'll withhold my judgment until I actually try the thing. In theory is sounds cool - I'd imagine you're trying to explore deeper and deeper into the catacombs while simultaneously trying to keep your ship safe?

The game the setting is based on, Endless Space, also looks neat. I've wanted to try it for a while.
Personally, I thought it was a good tale, but it did drag on a bit. Being longer than the other cases and adding the DS features also felt a bit strange.
SpoilerShow
I don’t argue the point that there is a culture problem, but I would like to dispute the notion that “a professional writer” is a cure for what ails us.

SpoilerShow
Flavor text doesn't seem like something that'd be hard to do, and done well it adds personality. Team Fortress and Sequence have their irreverent humor to set the tone; Diablo, Warcraft and the like have lore that fleshes out the world; and MagicTG has both, often at the same time. It helps color the player's impression of the game, without impacting the game itself* much.

Come to think, I don't think I've run into bad flavor text. I can think of ways it could be used poorly or inappropriately,** but the worst that I've seen is merely informative-- without flavor, but not tasteless, as it were.

*Whatever that means. I could, f'rinst, compare flavor text to art style-- can add flavor, affects the game's tone, fleshes impressions-- but art is necessarily more intrusive than flavor text and may be considered moreso part of "the game itself."***

**Contains offensive or irrelevant content, is too long, is put in places it need not be...

***Whatever that means.