We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
Oh god not Vertigo

My favourite has to be Ambievlous+Chakram though
so good
I want good games but I can only afford things taht are $5 right now is anyone willing to donate to the good cause of me having games
SpoilerShow
I recently found the Humongous Entertainment games and JumpStart games that I played when I was a kid.

The nostalgia trip was rather incredible. I don't have more to say than that, but I'm a bit busy trying to figure out how to play pc games from 1997 on my mac laptop from 2009.
excuse me

i need to go dig up my copies of Pajama Sam
If I pick up a four-pack of Monaco would anyone want to trade me something for one of them? I'll take, like, literally anything. Even things I don't want.
(07-19-2013, 05:34 PM)Nopad Wrote: »If I pick up a four-pack of Monaco would anyone want to trade me something for one of them? I'll take, like, literally anything. Even things I don't want.

Bad Rats is always an option. Be careful when you say "anything."
Rogue Legacy could have been so much better
The upgrade prices need rebalancing and largely consist of boring numerical dtatistics, doing a run and being rewaeded with just +5 health is disappointing and uninspired
The legacy mechanic is also just a gimmick that never really amoumts to anything, plonly a handful of traits have significant gameplay impact and one of those does this through.saying "For the love of god don't play this one"
and your traits have nothing to do with your parents

And an OCD/Cleaning joke? Please
Has it finally happened, Jacquerel? Have you become one with tumblr?
HMMMMMMMMMMMM
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
I mean all things considered he has had some pretty "original" ideas
Quote:Creative genius
I'll cry if Namco High doesn't have Dark Souls Undead Protagonist as a relationship path
"The parties are advised to chill." - Supreme Court of the United States, case opinion written by Justice Souter
(07-19-2013, 05:34 PM)Nopad Wrote: »If I pick up a four-pack of Monaco would anyone want to trade me something for one of them? I'll take, like, literally anything. Even things I don't want.

I'll trade you a copy of Guns of Icarus Online. I have no idea what to do with all these airships.

I'd be happy to send you a copy of Nightsky!
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
(07-19-2013, 09:28 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Do we have opinions on ShiftyLook itself in this thread?

I have Mixed Feelings about Shiftylook. On one hand, yeah, I can't help but feel like it's a cynical PR vehicle, no different from Bioware et. al. commissioning the Penny Arcade dudes to do promotional comics for them.

On the other hand, a lot of the artists seem to be having fun with it. (see: Galaga) I dunno.
They've explicitly stated it isn't, thankfully.

As for my opinion on Shiftylook, I'm inclined to be charitable towards it; it's kind of harmless and corny, but I have a soft spot for that sort of thing, I suppose. It occupies roughly the same space in my mind as Archie comics do - generally no worse than decent, sometimes gloriously bizarre.

(Did you know there was a series of comics in which Jughead was a time cop?)
I feel like NAMCOTRADEMARKHIGH is the logical next step in Hussie's career, considering how much he's pandered to shippers in Homestuck.
Despite a difference in styles, I get almost exactly the same vibe I got from most of those 90s video game promotional comics (like Malibu’s Street Fighter or the Johnny Turbo ads). There must be something about the typical approach to and needs of adapting these (fairly minimal by today’s standards) video games to Western comic format that gives you this particular flavor of being off-base, unhingedness, inscrutable plot/pacing, and *breathes* chEEeeEEeeEEse. (Huge guts. Rip and tear.)

I mean, some adaptations do turn out well (being only marginally related is not necessarily a bad thing). But you just know if it doesn’t click, and a number of these webcomics seem pretty shrugworthy to me. It doesn’t help that some of them do a pretty bad job of introducing newcomers to the material, though.

Of course, I’m all for them trying something new, and throwing comics folks a bone. Maybe this is something new. And sometimes the new needs a bit of practice to be good. Hey, it’s not my shareholder money they’re doing this with!
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Oh, I would not be a good guide to Johnny Turbo. To me, he was simply an in-joke among a circle of Sega fans I used to hang with years and years ago. Let’s say a decade ago. They kept the legend on life support, they did. Even built up a minor mythos about his rivalry with Segata Sanshiro, who was Anglonet-obscure at the time.

One should search the name and judge for oneself. And you will judge. It is a bonkers history of insane move stacked upon insane move; of irrational console warring and an extended superficial insult at the expense of a real person who actually exists. It leaves us in a situation where the Turbo that can be told is not the eternal Turbo.

Anyway, if what I’ve seen of AVGN translations on Niconico or the general reception of amusement for Bad Boxart Megaman are any indication, the kusoge fans of the Japanese-language Internet are receptive to an education on the finer points of American kusoge traditions. Looks like they’re getting one courtesy of a $150M publicly traded company! Oh yes, some of these comics are translated into Japanese. It’s... actually kind of surreal seeing these familiar webcomic artists’ styles with translated text, typeset properly and everything.

Then again, tie-in comics happens more often over there, if I’m not mistaken (ever seen the Solatorobo yonkoma?). Our paucity thereof will never translate.

Really, I can’t figure out who ShiftyLook is for. That’s probably the wrong question anyway. But it would not be the first time I’ve found myself wondering what the real point behind some marketing thingummy is.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Holy crap, Camp Hyrule. That's a blast from the past.

I have fond memories of reading Nintendo Power as a kid, corny and biased as it was
(07-19-2013, 07:20 PM)Jacquerel Wrote: »The legacy mechanic is also just a gimmick that never really amoumts to anything, only a handful of traits have significant gameplay impact and one of those does this through saying "For the love of god don't play this one"

Oh right I should talk about this

Most of your criticism I agree with, but I take exception to this. Gameplay-wise, yes, it's mostly a gimmick, but it (combined with the upgrade system) is a really good example of game elements underscoring plot elements. When you finally reach the end and SPOILERS SPOILERS HORRIFYING AMOUNTS OF SPOILERS, it's a lot more meaningful from the sense that each run was a different individual, taking up their father's or mother's or uncle's sword to continue the task the family has assigned to themselves.

Also worth noting is that I think the spells are mostly Castlevania references for a reason; the level design, and in particular the way enemy attack patterns combine, is phenomenal in my opinion, and especially on New Game+ the strategy can be pretty deep.
You guys you gotta play Toki Tori 2. It's the most fun/charming puzzle game I've played in a while

There's no text whatsoever- everything has to be figured out through experimentation. The fact that the game feels intuitive in spite of that is a testament to its design. Half the fun is figuring out how everything works, and even explaining the gameplay mechanics would feel like a spoiler.

The graphics and music are kind of twee, but they remind me of the Rayman series, which is always a good thing

I'm told there's some open world exploration elements to the game as well, but I haven't gotten that far. Still, really enjoyed what I've played so far. For such a cutesy game, the puzzles can be absolute bastards... but you feel clever whenever you solve one.
I don't like features that are touted as central to a game concept but are actually only important in the last five minutes, whether the ending is satisfying or not I cannot accept it as anything but a waste of potential

If they had actually capitalised on it to make traits more relevant then it would have done both, as it is the resolution would have been the same if all your kids were identical apart from class and spell
No no, it actually makes it better. Because videogames.
Bengus, not quite anime, not quite cartoony. His style degenerated by the time DS3 came out though. This short article about him is a nice read.

I also like Ken Sugimori.