This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
you can also catch adventure time characters doing the same kinds of things but i guess that's beside the point
if you let hype stop you from looking at things it is the same as only looking at things that are hyped

nothing is perfect but some things are just neat
But then why do you have a Starbound avatar (sorry)
I like Adventure Time, but I understand why some people wouldn't, and I think the internet makes entirely too big of a deal out of it.

Hey speaking of things the internet likes a little too much

[Image: 348lzsh.png]

This pleases me
I spent 30 minutes trying to find this wikipedia article about the differences between western cartoons exaggerated expressions vs the anime ones, they both have specific names but i completely forgot about them. I don't even remember why i wanted to find it so badly. Anyway, when i was talking about realism in cartoons i was mostly referring to the ugly Disney shit, but who cares.

Hype can definitely ruin things, yes. To save you time, Adventure Time is really average but it has its few moments, definitely not worth the hype nor your time.

Speaking of hype, i haven't seen anything from Hayao Miyazaki and i'm slightly afraid that they wont hold up to the hype, i've been meaning to watch all the Studio Ghibli films but it's so hard for me to sit down and watch lengthy stuff if i have no one to watch it with.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Castle of Cagliostro isn’t typical Miyazaki but it definitely has his unmistakable fingerprints all over it. It is usually an audience pleaser.

SpoilerShow
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
My favorite is Laputa, and I also think its one of the easiest of his stories to get into while still having all that magical whimsey
Why are none of these movies on Netflix :(

Stupid latin-american netflix.
Adventure Time does have its moments. There are some very complex character developments and interactions in it.

Pity the rest resembles All The Drugs (Tree Trunks, I'm lookin' at you).

As for Miyazaki, I don't have much to say; his films were a large part of my childhood I guess??? But I haven't revisited them in ages.
All the more reason, Ed, to come to America: Land of Anime
(05-03-2013, 07:47 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I don't see how. One is not wanting to waste my time with something that, based on an informed opinion, probably won't excite me that much. The other is allowing other people to form your opinions for you.
It's only allowing people's opinions to form yours if you like it (or say you do) because everyone else seems to like it so much. Avoiding everything hyped is something I can understand, but it's doing you nothing but restricting yourself from things, and under the hype some things are in fact legitimately really good, or maybe they're flawed but still have something that will appeal a lot to you.

Just don't go in expecting a masterpiece and you should be good. Treat it the same way you would anything else you haven't experienced before: either come in blank or else get recommendations from people whose tastes you understand and build expectations off that. The fact that almost every opinion on the Internet is exaggerated to either "best" or "worst" with little in between means you should probably ignore any opinion online in general unless you know the person.
I guess this makes me a worse person, but I like to pretend there’s some sort of cutoff point where popular means reality TV caliber.
I don't get it
have I blocked Imageshack somehow, I can never see anything hosted on there any more
(05-05-2013, 04:53 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »People cared about that remix I did for one day and now I'm nobody again.

The Internet.

You're actually complaining about the inherent nature of popularity, I take it.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
The solution: do more stuff.
I’ve look at the sales data for a small number of relatively popular indie games (most prominent example) and it is rather telling how spiky those graphs are. There might be a bit of a self-selection bias, of course, but it more or less seems like what I would expect to happen in observing other Internet phenomena. For instance, if you look at sites with upvote/downvote systems and lots of posts, the votes often die off in a matter of days. Likewise, massive reblogging on Tumblr also tends to die off at about that rate (I have been fortunate enough to witness this anecdotally with one post of my own, but there are probably research people who have scraped data to confirm that).
Tumblr lasts for a day or two but can continue on after a while because of queued posts. Or on an occasion like today, when someone with a lot of followers inexplicably reblogs an old post of yours and suddenly it's as popular as it was at first.

Tumblr is good for a bit more longevity because the point of it is sharing and spreading stuff around. Other sites you see something once and then that's it.
But only a little. Tumblr blows as far as looking for and discovering older things goes (especially if it hasn’t been tagged or described well—and even then, searching through tags is wonky and looking for a description is... Google-hostile, shall we say?). It is very much focused on the now—the “short now”, so to speak. It’s great for getting set up quickly, but those who live by the quickly die by the quickly (though sure, there is some virtue in letting bad ideas wither on the vine more easily).

I have found it rather fascinating what things do endure on the Internet and are ripe for the discovering. Just an hour ago, I was reading some USENET postings from the 90s. Probably nobody in those discussions was expecting that someone would be sternly judging their petty Internet argument fifteen years later....
Looking through my RSS feeds, I encountered a curiously apropos article regarding YouTube (as well as Machinima.com and Freeman’s Mind if those things concern you, but the important/relevant part is up top).
Well you shouldn't care about how long the popularity lasts, but about the fact that people listened to it! Maybe they'll listen to one of your things again since that one was so good??
Sounds like this was a good experience for you overall! You got some decent exposure and are free to continue to hone your craft. I know I was one of those many who listened to your track. I clicked it once, and then again, and then left it to sit. I enjoyed it and I'm certain a lot of other people did too. Congrats!
So for my college work I am making a short animation about tomb raiding and mummies and ancient Egyptian curses and the like. Things are going fairly well however I kinda need a soundtrack for the whole thing.

The original person who was going to do it isn't doing it anymore and now I'm in a bit of a bind to try and find someone willing to do it. Another problem being it's 150 seconds long, I don't really have any money to give for it and the deadline is in 2 weeks. FUN.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...is anyone here willing to help me out of this jam and/or can point me in the direction of someone who can music me up some music?

I suspect the answer would be a gratuitous 'no' stretching out into infinity but I'm getting...slightly desperate here.
Well there's at least three people on the forums who make music (Superfrequency, konec and me [not even remotely on the same level but still], and I know I can make time if neither of them can) so you're probably in luck!
If you're able to fully credit the musician (in the credits or whatever) you could find someone who has released music under the Attribution Creative Commons license. Liiiiiike Kevin MacLeod: Incompetech.com. His is just an attribution license, not Attribution-Sharealike, so as long as you credit him you don't have to release your work under Creative Commons. There's a lot of stuff in there as background tracks for movies and etc. Maybe you'll find something good? I dunno. Good luck!